• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Would you suggest that for dinner or breakfast? Apart of the calories it has, seems to be pretty healthy as well. If it's just for dinner, I don't know if I should just take it, or also my usual dinner.

It's not meant to replace a meal, only in addition. If you're generally eating 2K-ish calories a day, this will put you over 3,000 without eating things that will destroy your macros.

All you people who have trouble putting on weight must come from a different subset of homosapien than me. I can not relate whatsoever. Wanna gain? Eat peanut butter by the jar.

lol, yup. PB and J in a bowl with a glass of milk is my favorite snack of all time. Definitely having some during stranger things tonight

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I bulked it was like a chance to revisit my childhood; got most of my extra calories from eating cereal again (<3 Rice Krispies, Chex, and Cheerios). Then I got my hands on Pretzel crisps + sugar free strawberry reserves...

Just ate a bowl of cottage cheese with pepperoni and Italian seasoning for lunch while the work Thanksgiving pot luck is going on. That tasted waaaay better than I expected; now I want more.

pleighboi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
255 lb squat for 8 last 2 reps were really bad. Thinking about moving up to 265. Lifetime goal is 315

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Going up easy? My bench is coming back a lot quicker than my squats

Easier than expected. I probably had four. Mine is coming back quicker too. Weird.

If it's not much trouble, may I ask what's your routine? Maybe you're indeed Superman. Amazing job!
My own program.

Shoulders (OHP)/Tris
Chest (BP)/Bis
Heavy Squats/light DL
Back (weighted Pullups)
Shoulders/Tris
Heavy DLs/light squats
Chest/Bis
Back

And it keeps going. That's the extremely condensed version.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So I was at the gym with my better half today... and to my amusement, she fucked me up on biceps curl. Interestingly, she has virtually no triceps or shoulder strength vs me, but she's got some real biceps power.

Related to her, can anyone suggest any exercises that might help with her climbing? She can't really do pull-ups, though I'm tempted to start her off on some sort of GTG progression to see if we can sort that out.

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi fitnessEra. I have a pretty specific question regarding training and how it relates to my back problems. I've had intermittent problems with my back since being 17-18, but its only become worse over time. I'm currently 24, and I'm beginning to have shooting pains from my lower back/buttocks area to my feet and legs. I know this is due to my lazy habits - sitting down most of the day, bad posture at home and at work, etc.

I'm currently 140 pounds, 5'11. I've worked out on and off over the past 5 years, but I've had trouble continuing training due to low motivation. Lately, however, this pain has really started to affect my day to day life, and I really want to see if theres a solution for me here. I currently work with physicians, and the ones who I have described this problem to have diagnosed me with sciatica pain. I've read that there are several stretches that can improve the quality of the pain from day to day, but I really want to begin pursuing a workout regime that will help me live a healthier lifestyle to avoid this pain entirely going forward.

My question is - has anyone here ever dealt with similar problems? Is there any advice you can give for me going forward, especially on what I should/shouldn't due to my back pain?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still comfortably raising my squat weight 5 pounds every visit (did 5x5x160 Monday, up 100 from what I could safely do in March!) and feel like that's going to keep going up for a while... I have my eye on getting to 185 since that's also my target weight. On to 165 tonight!

But on the bench press I did 5x5x120 and felt like I'm gonna hit a wall soon. I also struggle to do a reasonable quantity of push ups, though the improvement to my core/back from all the squats have made the form a lot easier. My right shoulder has some range of motion issues, but I don't think that's what's limiting me. Probably ignoring exercise throughout my high school years is coming back to haunt me.

I've been reading up and I think I need to pay more attention to my elbow position (bringing them closer to my body) and to being more "explosive" on the press up. Other than that, I dunno what to do, other than just keeping at it. Should I try dropping the weight lower and focusing on form and higher reps for a couple sessions? Or am I just being impatient?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing, Wally_Wall and Bumrush! The thing is the only compound exercise I do is the overhead press. I'd really love to do deadlifts but my form is bad, I've been saying this for quite some time now but I really should tap a friend to teach me deadlifts and squats.

The moment I added the overhead press to my routine, I've noticed that my physique changed more, so I'm eager to learn the other compound lifts.

As for the diet, I think I'm faring quite well, I'm actually seeing faint hints of lines on my stomach now.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for sharing, Wally_Wall and Bumrush! The thing is the only compound exercise I do is the overhead press. I'd really love to do deadlifts but my form is bad, I've been saying this for quite some time now but I really should tap a friend to teach me deadlifts and squats.

The moment I added the overhead press to my routine, I've noticed that my physique changed more, so I'm eager to learn the other compound lifts.

As for the diet, I think I'm faring quite well, I'm actually seeing faint hints of lines on my stomach now.
Between YouTube and form check videos for us to look at you shall conquer every single compound lift!

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

The compounds are so, so, so, so....so important. Start with super light weight (bar only) and post a vid of yourself here or ask someone at your gym to take a look at you

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
well you can tell me how it is. mine is coming friday (for some reason it did say thursday on amazon when i bought. oh well)
also you mention the casein protein. i had that like a year or so ago. i couldn't get into it because of the thickness. i do want to supplement some powder back into me
I was able to fit a bar into my macros today since I was a dumb dumb and forgot my almonds at home; they're really good! The flavor is on point but not really that special to me because I've had Optimum Nutrition's cake bites recently, but the texture and macros are definitely better than those. Still gonna keep getting the cake bites as well for when I don't want to have all of that fiber gunking up my system for a few days though. :P

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Didn't see this posted yet, dem Trump Jr insane deadlift gainz

xpe64ioxb2rfmbfsleev.jpg

https://deadspin.com/donald-trump-jr-is-good-at-weightlifting-and-should-li-1820486869

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Hi fitnessEra. I have a pretty specific question regarding training and how it relates to my back problems. I've had intermittent problems with my back since being 17-18, but its only become worse over time. I'm currently 24, and I'm beginning to have shooting pains from my lower back/buttocks area to my feet and legs. I know this is due to my lazy habits - sitting down most of the day, bad posture at home and at work, etc.

I'm currently 140 pounds, 5'11. I've worked out on and off over the past 5 years, but I've had trouble continuing training due to low motivation. Lately, however, this pain has really started to affect my day to day life, and I really want to see if theres a solution for me here. I currently work with physicians, and the ones who I have described this problem to have diagnosed me with sciatica pain. I've read that there are several stretches that can improve the quality of the pain from day to day, but I really want to begin pursuing a workout regime that will help me live a healthier lifestyle to avoid this pain entirely going forward.

My question is - has anyone here ever dealt with similar problems? Is there any advice you can give for me going forward, especially on what I should/shouldn't due to my back pain?

I think you may actually find they aren't as related as you think I have a curve in my back it's common stand against a wall is your lower back touching? I can fit a fist in there ... Genetic. However I can do squats and deadlifts as long as I don't emphasize that curve I have to sit up straighter and flex my core or wear a belt sometimes although I avoid that mostly . What kills me is sitting around, sleeping too long.. so as long as you stretch and use good form I doubt you'll actually have too many issues with workouts.
To actually work on that problem you should get in yoga or do stretching, and strengthen your core , then work on your posture . See if you need cushions or footrests to alleviate pressure and setup your sitting area ergonomically you can do it with videos.
You may find like a specific exercise that doesn't feel great just replace it. And use light weights on back to start . Again, train your core . Back pain is mostly tightness or weak core or both

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to do cutting especially cutting back food. How do you keep motivated?
Gonna be lame and quote myself here:
Motivation is fleeting; you have to be disciplined. Pushing through and doing something when you don't feel like doing it is how you develop the habit.
But also, cutting means you're gonna have visual goods to keep you going. I love the feeling of clothes fitting looser (until they're comically large anyway) and muscles/veins becoming more visible. It also helps to find foods that you can eat high volumes of, I really like the act of eating so I try to find stuff I that's low calorie and I can eat a lot of, eg: salad with greek yogurt-based dressing, carrots, jalapenos, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. While some of these foods may not sound exciting, there's a lot ways you can vary them up. For example, Monday I had cottage cheese with peanut butter powder and sugar free chocolate syrup mixed in it. Today I had cottage cheese with italian herbs, pepperoni, and sriracha mixed in, giving it more of a pizza vibe.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By seeing the changes in the mirror and comments from people.

Gonna be lame and quote myself here:

But also, cutting means you're gonna have visual goods to keep you going. I love the feeling of clothes fitting looser (until they're comically large anyway) and muscles/veins becoming more visible. It also helps to find foods that you can eat high volumes of, I really like the act of eating so I try to find stuff I that's low calorie and I can eat a lot of, eg: salad with greek yogurt-based dressing, carrots, jalapenos, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. While some of these foods may not sound exciting, there's a lot ways you can vary them up. For example, Monday I had cottage cheese with peanut butter powder and sugar free chocolate syrup mixed in it. Today I had cottage cheese with italian herbs, pepperoni, and sriracha mixed in, giving it more of a pizza vibe.

Yeah, sometimes when I'm stressed I just binged eat and adopt a "fuck it" mentality destroying pretty much my progress that week. This is my biggest weakness, i'll just push through.

Mook1e

Nov 4, 2017
It's really hard to do cutting especially cutting back food. How do you keep motivated?
I found success in what I would call "chasing calories". Make yourself wake up an hour early and lift (or...yuck.. do HIIT) and then boom, you're already at a calorie deficit of 400 - 800 calories for the day. I would sometimes lift heavy enough to burn 900 to 1000 calories with 5 min HIIT warm up and then my split. Track your calories burned with a fitness tracker like U Record and calories consumed with my fitness pal and try to finish the day exactly hitting your calorie goal of (food eaten minus calories burned = bmr minus 400 to 600 calorie deficit.) I would often have to eat 2600 to 2900 calories to stay at a reasonable deficit of between 400 and 500 calories per day. I was on keto, so I was able to eat lots of satisfying fatty foods all day (with plenty of high fiber low carbs) and moderate protein. I went from 195 to 178 from the end of July to the end of September. Of course, a good amount of the weight I lost at first was water weight. My family didn't like me getting so thin in the face, so I'm bulking now. Still deciding if I want to try to compete next year.
But, the point is, get your calorie deficit from exercise more than calorie restriction. You retain your lean mass, which is your body's best calorie burning machine. If you just restrict calories, the first thing you'll lose is your lean mass, thus your body's ability to burn calories is reduced and you just keep going down from there.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So having a chicago pizza for dinner was a bad idea after all. I felt lazy to start cooking anything and so I ordered it. It was worth eating it while I watched some Dragon Ball Super chapters. Also drank a full bottle of water before going to bed. Unfortunately I've been thirsty and the feeling of full stomach all night, and still I am. I just had an orange juice and a jam toast for breakfast instead of two, and no milk with whey. I felt like I would explode if I had a proper breakfast.

And today is shoulders day. I hope to be recovered for this evening's workout.

This hurt my back looking at it.

Same here.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
So I was at the gym with my better half today... and to my amusement, she fucked me up on biceps curl. Interestingly, she has virtually no triceps or shoulder strength vs me, but she's got some real biceps power.

Related to her, can anyone suggest any exercises that might help with her climbing? She can't really do pull-ups, though I'm tempted to start her off on some sort of GTG progression to see if we can sort that out.
I'm guessing grip is a big thing with climbing so grip and forearm exercises could be handy. Then just do the usual until she's able to do pull-ups like lat pulldowns and shrugs I guess? Might be worth researching "climbing gym exercises" too.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
myprotein added a bunch of new flavors which are all 110Cal with 18g protein per serving. does anyone know if they changed the old flavors too? (they were 100Cal / 19-20g protein)

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Between YouTube and form check videos for us to look at you shall conquer every single compound lift!
Oh right, I forgot I downloaded a ton of deadlift videos, I shall watch them. Not so sure about a video of me doing it, but I'll try, thanks!

The compounds are so, so, so, so....so important. Start with super light weight (bar only) and post a vid of yourself here or ask someone at your gym to take a look at you
Olympic barbell, you mean? We also have those curvy, smaller ones which I use for the OHP. I'll muster up the courage to try out the olympic one next time, that's for sure. Thanks!

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Olympic barbell, you mean? We also have those curvy, smaller ones which I use for the OHP. I'll muster up the courage to try out the olympic one next time, that's for sure. Thanks!
Try and do most compounds using an olympic barbell as their length will help with form. Sure OHP is easier with an EZ bar (the curvy smaller one) but you'll benefit more with the olympic ones as they require more stability and control to complete the movement. And as Bumrush said, concentrate on form first before adding on the weights. "If you lift light as if it's heavy, you'll lift heavy as if it's light."

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SnakeyHips thanks for that information, sometimes my form does waver with the EZ bar(so that's what it's called), when I feel the weight sway on one side. More incentive to try and drop the EZ and go for gold(olympic, heh). Also, great quote, I'll remember that.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm guessing grip is a big thing with climbing so grip and forearm exercises could be handy. Then just do the usual until she's able to do pull-ups like lat pulldowns and shrugs I guess? Might be worth researching "climbing gym exercises" too.
I hadn't actually considered forearm. Grip, for sure, but forearm could definitely be useful.

Cheers.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
SnakeyHips thanks for that information, sometimes my form does waver with the EZ bar(so that's what it's called), when I feel the weight sway on one side. More incentive to try and drop the EZ and go for gold(olympic, heh). Also, great quote, I'll remember that.
One tip for stability is to keep your core tight and ass tensed during lifts. You got this.

I hadn't actually considered forearm. Grip, for sure, but forearm could definitely be useful.

Cheers.
Walking dumbbell lunges with a long and deep stride will probs be a great exercise as it'll work their grip, forearms, traps and also glutes for when a climber like "steps up".

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So finally went back today. I got caught changing outside, I'll never forget that cold stare. So I'll be following the rules now.

Also, I bought a new peanut butter. Let's see what's on the label:

Serving size, 2 tbsp(32 g)
Calories 210, from fat 150
Total Fat 17g
Sat Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 140mg
Potassium 190mg
Total Carbs 6g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 3g
Protein 8g
Iron 2%

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, sugar, less than 2% of hydrogenated vegetable oils(cottonseen and rapeseed), salt
Contains: peanuts

So...is any of this good? I weighed myself and I lost 2 kilos this week without the gym.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Depends what you like. I personally wouldn't eat that because I like natural peanut butter... but some people prefer the more "set" style that I'm guessing that is.

(Natural peanut butter tends to have 1 ingredient... peanuts)

Edit - and yes, for the more old skool poster, I just said that I "like" peanut butter. Shut up.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One tip for stability is to keep your core tight and ass tensed during lifts. You got this.
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep that in mind :)

Depends what you like. I personally wouldn't eat that because I like natural peanut butter... but some people prefer the more "set" style that I'm guessing that is.

(Natural peanut butter tends to have 1 ingredient... peanuts)

Edit - and yes, for the more old skool poster, I just said that I "like" peanut butter. Shut up.
Natural peanut butter is something made manually, I suppose? I really am trying hard to find something like that, so far this is the best I've found. Maybe the more upscale shops would be better places to look into, I've been meaning to check out Greek yogurt too which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Psychotext when did this PB thing happen? I remember you dabbling a bit but...
Was gradual... incessant. Before I even knew it I was lost.

Natural peanut butter is something made manually, I suppose? I really am trying hard to find something like that, so far this is the best I've found. Maybe the more upscale shops would be better places to look into, I've been meaning to check out Greek yogurt too which I can't seem to find anywhere.
Where do you live? Should be pretty easy to get anywhere.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Psychotext a bunch of islands in the Southeast Asia called the Philippines, I hope this explains why I don't follow much of what you folks experience in your journeys in Fitness. I'm trying my best though, this is a lifestyle change and not a fleeting one.

Someone was selling me a watch on the running thread, I'm still figuring out how to break it to them that the shipping alone might cancel out the cheapness of the watch which was they were selling it to me in the first place, heh.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty excited I'm almost done with using weights for the assisted pull up machine. Next week I'll be on the least weight of 20 and will do 4 sets of 10.

When i began i needed to use the counter weight of 115. Happy me. Lol

Hopefully when i no longer need assistance and can get 10 pullups with body weight, i can start looking at variations and build my back even better!!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, well "Greek" yoghurt does have a bunch of different names. So it might just be worth looking in the chiller aisle to see if there's anything there that's like it.

Basically it'll be low carbs and about 10g of protein per 100g.

Edit - I had a quick browse around. It's definitely available in the Philippines. I guess the question is, if it's available near you.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Also, ohyeah , most people usually spell it "yogurt" in case you were wondering

(seriously, psycho, why "yoghurt"?)

Last edited:

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Pretty excited I'm almost done with using weights for the assisted pull up machine. Next week I'll be on the least weight of 20 and will do 4 sets of 10.

When i began i needed to use the counter weight of 115. Happy me. Lol

Hopefully when i no longer need assistance and can get 10 pullups with body weight, i can start looking at variations and build my back even better!!
Back building feels so great. Just started doing T-bar rows and narrow underhand grip lat pulldowns and loving it.