• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sometimes when I'm stressed I just binged eat and adopt a "fuck it" mentality destroying pretty much my progress that week. This is my biggest weakness, i'll just push through.
I did this a lot too. When I would, I wouldn't log my food in my app out of shame; what helped me this time is logging my "fuck it" food as I was eating it, which in turn made me more mindful of it and less likely to continue overeating.

Another thing that helped me is I use a habit tracking app; I have an entry in there for "Eat Planned Food" (eg: not deviating from what I planned for the day in terms of calories). Previously, during those times when I wouldn't log my excess gluttony, that would've been a red X in my habit app, which demotivated me. Now, as long as I track the food in my journal, I keep my streak going. Today is going to be my 100th day on this cut and I've had one maintenance day (~1900 calories) and one fuck it day (~2800) calories. I just never hit that "fuck it" mentality anymore and I've said no to enough temptations that something has to be REALLY GOOD to get me to break diet. I've definitely had some days where I'd eat out with friends, but that was one meal out of the day and even then I made smart choices for those meals and would pad out the rest of my day using protein bars or something.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did this a lot too. When I would, I wouldn't log my food in my app out of shame; what helped me this time is logging my "fuck it" food as I was eating it, which in turn made me more mindful of it and less likely to continue overeating.

Another thing that helped me is I use a habit tracking app; I have an entry in there for "Eat Planned Food" (eg: not deviating from what I planned for the day in terms of calories). Previously, during those times when I wouldn't log my excess gluttony, that would've been a red X in my habit app, which demotivated me. Now, as long as I track the food in my journal, I keep my streak going. Today is going to be my 100th day on this cut and I've had one maintenance day (~1900 calories) and one fuck it day (~2800) calories. I just never hit that "fuck it" mentality anymore and I've said no to enough temptations that something has to be REALLY GOOD to get me to break diet. I've definitely had some days where I'd eat out with friends, but that was one meal out of the day and even then I made smart choices for those meals and would pad out the rest of my day using protein bars or something.

Wow this is really helpful and yeah I don't log my "fuck it" binge eating due to shame, which is weird since I'm the only one who's able to see it. Thanks, ill log everything starting now then.

I guess cutting is like when you start hitting the gym, it's hard to continue on in your first month or so.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is really helpful and yeah I don't log my "fuck it" binge eating due to shame, which is weird since I'm the only one who's able to see it. Thanks, ill log everything starting now then.

I guess cutting is like when you start hitting the gym, it's hard to continue on in your first month or so.
It definitely stays hard. Food is everywhere! It tends to be the focal point of social activities; heck, I got semi-called out for not attending most of the work parties that happen because I didn't want to deal with the temptation of food. It definitely remains a challenge, but you just have to tell yourself you're better than that, or that if you do slip up it doesn't have to be day zero again. Aim for 90% and don't stress about the 10% of the time you can't stay on track, allowing yourself to go off course every once in a while makes it that much less tempting once you've built the habit.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really done bulking or cutting, I consume an excess of calories (about 3200) to gain but I wouldn't call it bulking because gains are very slow and I find it quite difficult to do anyway. I think if I were to cut I'd find it really easy, if I'm busy I can put off food without a second thought but I don't want to because I don't feel big enough. I would like my abs to pop a bit more but I don't want to sacrifice the muscle mass.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really done bulking or cutting, I consume an excess of calories (about 3200) to gain but I wouldn't call it bulking because gains are very slow and I find it quite difficult to do anyway. I think if I were to cut I'd find it really easy, if I'm busy I can put off food without a second thought but I don't want to because I don't feel big enough. I would like my abs to pop a bit more but I don't want to sacrifice the muscle mass.
You're always going to lose some muscle mass when cutting (in the same way that you're always going to put on some fat when bulking), but as long as you don't go too hard on your cut, eat enough protein, and stay consistent with lifting, you can minimize your losses. Unless you're talking about not wanting to give up the your ongoing gains from your slow bulk.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
You're always going to lose some muscle mass when cutting (in the same way that you're always going to put on some fat when bulking), but as long as you don't go too hard on your cut, eat enough protein, and stay consistent with lifting, you can minimize your losses. Unless you're talking about not wanting to give up the your ongoing gains from your slow bulk.

I just don't want to regret it I guess because I don't feel big enough to cut, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
had to cool down with my deficit - I felt my strength evaporating :(

Inserting more maintenance days here and there and I already feel better. Every day I would wake up starving, which doesn't feel good and definitely took a toll on my mood.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So I was at the gym with my better half today... and to my amusement, she fucked me up on biceps curl. Interestingly, she has virtually no triceps or shoulder strength vs me, but she's got some real biceps power.

Related to her, can anyone suggest any exercises that might help with her climbing? She can't really do pull-ups, though I'm tempted to start her off on some sort of GTG progression to see if we can sort that out.

I just saw this , why cant she do pullups? is it due to injury ? because most gyms have assisted chin/pullup machines and you can also do the chins/pullups by spotting their legs.... however for any sport specific training you are going to want to research the muscles most needed and then develop routine for that. for climbing for example if it is back and forearm/grip, then all those types of exercises . legs is probably important too although bodyweight is likely a consideration as its probably one of those strength/weight sports. however I find most people unless they are going for elite level (ninja warrior! ) training for specific sports, will feel just fine by being in their best shape / doing a well rounded routines , while practicing their sport regularly. focusing only on certain bodyparts because of a sport you like can sometimes lead to imbalance from focusing too much on one set routine, which in the long run is not always ideal. I'm not too sure that sport specific training is ideal for most people as those athletes are generally spending 6 days a week doing some specific plan.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
No, she just doesn't have the strength.

On the assisted pullup machines... I tried one for the first time the other day. I actually can do pullups, and honestly, it felt harder for me with assistance. Everything felt completely wrong, like I wasn't engaging any of the proper muscles / wasn't in the right position.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
hm I am doing sets of 225 but gotta work on my explosiveness. I am going to do the old fashion bench trick and add 10-20 pounds every week.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Honestly, I love plateaus because it gives me a chance to mix it up. Using drop sets, super sets, partial reps, accessories, etc. you can bust through just about any plateau (until your bodily limit of course)
i am working legs again this Saturday so I will let you know how it goes. I am so eager to get stronger.

Nov 1, 2017
I need some advice. I am at the final stretch of my weight loss goal. I want to lose 15-20 more pounds. Currently 183, down from 245 over the past 4 years. 20 pounds isnt much by comparison but i feel like doing this much will make the biggest difference.

But I'm struggling to focus. Im full time at uni while working a part time job. My job gives me enpugh exercise but i cant keep my diet consistent.

When i get stressed i cave to the pleasure of eating too much. Its too hard to stick to my plan because of the stresses of life but im so close to my goal.

Any advice on sticking to your diet goals under pressure?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Nature dieting in college is hard. Try increasing your exercise instead. In doing that, you may avoid overeating because you don't want to waste the workout benefits.

Also, try replacing whatever snacking / overeating you were doing with something better for you. No one says you can't have ice cream, maybe switch to Halo Top (as an example).

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
No, she just doesn't have the strength.

On the assisted pullup machines... I tried one for the first time the other day. I actually can do pullups, and honestly, it felt harder for me with assistance. Everything felt completely wrong, like I wasn't engaging any of the proper muscles / wasn't in the right position.

I would suggest playing with the handles, don't just do what you're used to like say a widegrip, try all the handle placements including hammer grip and chin-ups..... they will all help with the pullup strength and you can generally find something that works, like chin-ups are generally recognized as being easier than pullups, have her start on those, give some assist with machine or bit of leg spotting and then move on from there. otherwise you just do pulldowns instead of pullups, same thing basically, but you obviously need to get up to pulldowns with some decent weight before you can pull UP your weight. the pulley on the pulldown machine will often fool a person thinking they can do more than they actually can. but the great thing about pullups is you don't need to do 3X10 or something... just do one or two , rest do one or two more, then they will eventually get easier....... could also cheat a bit like crossfit (sorry any crossfit fans).
Losing weight is the number one bodyweight exercise increase tbh....

I need some advice. I am at the final stretch of my weight loss goal. I want to lose 15-20 more pounds. Currently 183, down from 245 over the past 4 years. 20 pounds isnt much by comparison but i feel like doing this much will make the biggest difference.

But I'm struggling to focus. Im full time at uni while working a part time job. My job gives me enpugh exercise but i cant keep my diet consistent.

When i get stressed i cave to the pleasure of eating too much. Its too hard to stick to my plan because of the stresses of life but im so close to my goal.

Any advice on sticking to your diet goals under pressure?

great job btw.... and your last 20 will take some pretty heavy effort... I have some general things to consider:
- shake up your cardio... can you do short interval training ? this could put you over the top.
- if it's motivation try some exercises like comparing before and after pics, checking in with yourself, using apps, set smaller short term goals.
- eating wise its tough but I suggest never letting yourself get into a vulnerable situation.... the worst situations are being stranded, starving and near fast food. to avoid this pre-planning is key. you can either pack foods with you at all times (powders, bars, fruits, veggies, nuts) or even just scoping out where they are. like today I was in a hurry but I know the grocery store next to me has a whole deli with salads. I bought a salad and some chicken and I was done. so knowing where to go for foods is important. I drive for work a lot but I have all the grocery stores and what they sell memorized all over the city. its actually not that bad then if you have a place pre-planned you can get to quick. then also never buy more than you need. always buy the same stuff / same amount . or eat a snack before you go in even as shopping while starving is a big risk factor too.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Since I started two weeks ago eating more than usual in order to gain weight, I feel much better than two weeks ago.

I don't get tired in the gym, I can do more exercises than usual, I feel like I can lift more than last week, and I feel pretty good with myself.

I really feel motivated. Hope this not to end.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
One anniversary, my wife and I made our own sushi (there are websites to have freshly caught, frozen sushi grade fish (expensively) sent to you).

Every one of mine was a giant slab of fish on top of a small bed of rice while my wife's were all perfectly crafted and proportioned. I wish I had pictures.

Homemade sushi is delicious by the way.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
There's a sushi restaurant 3 minutes far from my house. I need to go there one of these days.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
One anniversary, my wife and I made our own sushi (there are websites to have freshly caught, frozen sushi grade fish (expensively) sent to you).

Every one of mine was a giant slab of fish on top of a small bed of rice while my wife's were all perfectly crafted and proportioned. I wish I had pictures.

Homemade sushi is delicious by the way.

Yeah, I just head to the local Korean market and buy shashimi grade salmon. Then eat it with some rice noodles.

Cgd03Zk.jpg

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So what? I eat rice every other day even when cutting. Hell, some weeks it's every day.

I used to eat rice every day too, but I wanted to count it as a "complete meal" with protein and veggies too .... doesn't really cut it there also I dunno I hope they just steam the rice ( I think they do) if you go to a western restaurant and order rice I can guarantee it's cooked with butter.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Psychotext I saw in reddit I could indeed look for upscale shops where they offer a lot more variety and more organic/natural alternatives. Two birds and one stone

Bumrush it seems yoghurt is indeed the original, maybe the word derives from "you got hurt, heal your muscles)", heh.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I used to eat rice every day too, but I wanted to count it as a "complete meal" with protein and veggies too .... doesn't really cut it there also I dunno I hope they just steam the rice ( I think they do) if you go to a western restaurant and order rice I can guarantee it's cooked with butter.
I only have it as a side, and only ever when I cook it myself (nothing added).

I eat a lot of curries and chillies. :D

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I only have it as a side, and only ever when I cook it myself (nothing added).

I eat a lot of curries and chillies. :D

good idea.... after working in a restaurant I can say that nothing should be assumed to be healthy unless you ask how it is made (almost everything starts with butter in a restaurant).

(protip - we used to flashfry (deepfry) vegetables to cook quicker !!! - so even veggies stirfried might be healthy in a restaurant lol)

kaicooper87

Oct 27, 2017
first of all sorry for my eng
2nd Big thanx for this Thread

ok..i started home Dumbbells workout last week and its fantastic..i got 2 dumbbells and workingout
5 days then 1 day rest..is it ok like that? i watch some videos and do workout (Youtubers Buff Dudes Home Workout)
i do:
1st day ..Biceps and chest
2nd ..triceps and back
3rd .. leg and shoulder
4th..abs
5th full body
Rest
what do u think guys? need advice plz

and also the goal is to lose weight and cut (kinda) i mean athletic like
ryan-reynolds-holding-axe-at-amityville-horror.jpg

now im already overweight ..im 170 height and weight 87kg

and 2nd Q is..i decided to start 10 minuets HIIT first then i do Dumbbells workout ..is it good?
but now the big Q is..i watched some Dumbbells HIIT witch is crazy and hard..its short from 10 to 20
minuets(is it enough for a day?)..but when do u think i can start this if its ok? i mean should it be 3 days a week or ??!!

sorry for my eng again and thanx guys

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've said it before, HIIT is far better done after weights than before (and better still at a completely different time of day).

You don't want to do your lifts feeling drained from high intensity intervals. You'll impact your progress for no particularly good reason.

Also, it seems like you're just starting out. You're probably better off just concentrating on sticking to your weights routine for now, rather than adding in extra time / complexity.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Back building feels so great. Just started doing T-bar rows and narrow underhand grip lat pulldowns and loving it.

Yeah, when i was younger i was dumb and never worked on my back, now its my fav thing!

Ill add that to my rotation next month!

Small win today. Haven't checked my pant size since june when i was wearing 38. Had a few 36 but they were always big and fit me. Lately they have been loose so at the store today i fit 34 but had room still. Tried 33 and they felt perfect! Ill continue until i get to 32. Idk if ill go lower. I never been below 32 since jr high... @_@.

kaicooper87

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, HIIT is far better done after weights than before (and better still at a completely different time of day).

You don't want to do your lifts feeling drained from high intensity intervals. You'll impact your progress for no particularly good reason.

Also, it seems like you're just starting out. You're probably better off just concentrating on sticking to your weights routine for now, rather than adding in extra time / complexity.
well said brother

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been reading that the only way to abs is by low body fat but I've seen huge guys with abs, how?

Also I have a target body now, Brad Pitt circa Fight Club. Let's do this.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
So I've been reading that the only way to abs is by low body fat but I've seen huge guys with abs, how?

Also I have a target body now, Brad Pitt circa Fight Club. Let's do this.
Yeah it's down to low body fat. No matter how big the abdominal muscles may be, they aren't gonna show if there's a layer of fat in the way.