• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
tried out herbstrong's CBD oil and got Haraflow. they say it's good post workout but has other benefits. idk about the workout stuff but it helped with my anxiety.

Oct 25, 2017
For sleep and anxiety, I now take a potion of passion flower, magnesium aspartame, melatonin, and vitamin d every night with a glass of V8.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Wobble Board in the power rack.
Wobble Board. in the power rack.
Wobble. Board. in. the. power. rack.

giphy.gif

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
If anyone is interested, I have a pretty popular thread on MFP where I experimented with eating almost exclusively junk food(low protein even) for 10 months and got into my best shape thus far. I am not advising anyone do what I did, I did it for science and to prove to myself that the crazy flexible dieting folk were actually right as I used to be a bro. I'm currently trying to get that lean again while coming in with more muscle than I had previously. I'm 36 years old and have been lifting since age 19. Anyway, here is the thread, if you're a member of MFP bump it and show some love. :) https://community.myfitnesspal.com/...inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else do Murph yesterday? I did it for the first time and my body is absolutely knackered today. Was super happy to finish sub 1 hour, clocking in at 57:50.

I did it the Monday and my whole body was sore until today. My time was 54'48" but I think that our outdoor running track had 1.4k meters instead of 1 mile, so the shave in the whole running part was ~400 mts (to be fair). The best guy in my class did it just under 37 minutes.

To be honest Murphy isn't as hard in volume: what makes its dificult is the race against the chrono. For the ones wondering what is:

1 Mile run
100 Pull Ups
200 Push ups.
300 Air squats
1 Mile run

...As fast as you can.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I did it the Monday and my whole body was sore until today. My time was 54'48" but I think that our outdoor running track had 1.4k meters instead of 1 mile, so the shave in the whole running part was ~400 mts (to be fair). The best guy in my class did it just under 37 minutes.

To be honest Murphy isn't as hard in volume: what makes its dificult is the race against the chrono. For the ones wondering what is:

1 Mile run
100 Pull Ups
200 Push ups.
300 Air squats
1 Mile run

...As fast as you can.
don't forget to add "while wearing a 20lb vest or body armor". that makes a world of difference.
Nice job man. How did you break up the movements? I went the 5-10-15 route for 20 rounds. I've still a recovering ankle from a soccer injury, so my runs we're relatively slow. I got back at 10:19 for mile 1, and mile 2 was 13 minutes. Next year isI like to do 10-20-30 for ten rounds. But we'll see how the next 12 months go.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did the first 1400 m in 6'57"; then the first 30 pull ups in blocks of 10 but at that point had to do fives. Then started the push ups in blocks of 10, but after 50 or so I had to split in fives. Albeit I kept that number of reps x set the last minutes were agonic and I was barely able to do 15 reps/min. Then the air squats... I known that I can do 100+ in a row (being fresh) but was conservative so my first split was 50... Wrong move: had to do blocks of 25 until 200, then did 40, 30 and 40. I think that for me blocks of 35 reps would have been the best approach. When I ended the squats and started the last run my thighs felt like concrete, but after ~300 m the thing went better. Still, couldn't push too much because my right calf was taping pre-cramp signals for a while.

Wasn't too tired at the end; I had more troubles dealing with the pain because stacked lactic acid due sub-optimal splits than dealing with the breathing. Would probably go 6-7-35 the next time...

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking of getting a Fitbit Flex 2 for swimming, since I'm not going to splurge on an Ionic (the only other waterproof one). Does anyone know if they're discontinuing that line and making a new one? It seems like Walmart and several other places stopped carrying them after I missed out on their clearance prices. Target still has them, but only at full price. I've been looking on eBay, and while I could possibly save around $10-20, I'm sure all the sellers are probably scammers or are selling counterfeits. Plus it might look strange if I'm walking around wearing a lavender Fitbit. Anyone know any places to get one for less than retail?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Too tired to go out to the grocery store to buy some chicken thighs and fry them up. I've been on a 2200 calorie, low carb diet to try and lose some fat. I'm on the Stronglifts program with some accessory stuff after. Today I feel completely beat up because of deadlifts. Almost too tired to want to eat.I have 805 calories to go, I might just drink a bunch of whey protein and call it a night. Eh.

Tomorrow is my first cheat meal in a month. Going to get a cheese slice for lunch. For dinner I plan to cook up a bowl of udon noodles with shrimp tempura, all from scratch. Today needs to end.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Did some gymnastics rings pullups today haven't done them in like 4 months, definitely harder but I like them.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Ran/walked 8 miles today prepping for a tougher Mudder in August. I want to definitely get into the 180's for it. Down to about 192 now from 202 in February. Muscle memory is insane. I hovered in the mid 190's for a while despite a heavy deficit but look so much more muscular and clothes fit so much better. Keeping up the resistance training and protein intake.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking at my logs. On January 18th I weighed 269.4 lbs, was 31.2% body fat and 32.2% muscle according to this fancy scale I have. Yea yea, body fat and muscle % are not accurate, blah blah. Roll with it. Accurate or not, I think it's pretty cool to see progress.

Today I'm 253 lbs, 28.2% bf, and 33.8% muscle. So that is 16.4 lbs lost in roughly 19 weeks. I'm down 3% bf which translates to 12.7 lbs of fat gone if my math is right. I'm up 1.6% muscle but that's really a 1.2 lbs overall loss due to diet. Muscle % increase is simply because I've lost more fat. So as far as I'm concerned, this cut is pretty successful so far.

Did some reading and it seems that the consensus is to run a 12 to 18 week cut with a 4 to 8 week maintenance phase, then go back to cutting until you get where your going cycling on and off maint periodically. So I went up to my 3000 calorie maint today and will give this a shot. I guess the idea is to get accustomed to this weight and refresh a bit before cutting again. So July probably will start another cut.

Looking forward, I may do this next cut and see if I can get down to 230 around October and if so, may look at a slow winter bulk. Not sure where I'd like to end up, but this seems like as good a plan as any until something changes anyway.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Lordxar, that's a great plan! The only thing is I thought I read that two weeks of maintenance was enough to get your BMR humming along like before but maybe I'm wrong. If you have no deadline, 4 weeks sounds fine.

Congrats on your progress and keep it up!

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Lordxar, that's a great plan! The only thing is I thought I read that two weeks of maintenance was enough to get your BMR humming along like before but maybe I'm wrong. If you have no deadline, 4 weeks sounds fine.

Congrats on your progress and keep it up!

Thanks! A couple weeks seems more reasonable. Eight seems like overkill so I was headed to the lower end of what I'd found. I do have a work trip in a couple weeks that I will probably overeat on so it might be good to get back sooner than later lol. So my maintenance phase will most likely end up being about three weeks all told.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm doing cardio in order to lose weight. I mostly have a high level of fat in my body but with dieting I've been steadily reducing it. I generally want to do power walking and short sprints.
What're good stretchs to do AFTER I do my cardio? As is I am hovering a little over 100 KG/200ish Pounds and I have a belly which I'm trying to get rid of.

Oct 25, 2017
Deadlifts today:
455 x 3
475 x 3
495 x 3
525 x 2
565 x 4

Also did standing oh DB press, lateral raises, barbell curls, plus 10 minutes on the stairmaster. I'm trying to do more accessory stuff and not just do the core lifts.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember if I posted it here, but several weeks ago I cleaned up my diet. But I cleaned it too well, and I discovered last weekend that I wasn't getting enough calories. The day I added up it was only 2000.

So here's today's totals, all without any real junk food: 450 grams carbs, 300 grams protein, 4500 calories. Oof.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, can I get some assistance in creating a weight loss plan for my girlfriend? She really wants to get healthy and fit, but I feel the way she's going about it is really unsustainable. She's eating between 500-750 calories a day for the last couple weeks. I think she's expecting results quick, but I told her it take time and consistence.

So, heresh her details. She's 27, 5'3", 140 lbs. She wants to get down to about 110. I'll help her with this best I can, but I want to create something structured and easy to follow in terms of a diet plan and exercise regimen. Any suggestions or good resources to look at, I'd appreciate it. There's a lot of conflicting information on the net, and I want something reliable and easy for her.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, can I get some assistance in creating a weight loss plan for my girlfriend? She really wants to get healthy and fit, but I feel the way she's going about it is really unsustainable. She's eating between 500-750 calories a day for the last couple weeks. I think she's expecting results quick, but I told her it take time and consistence.

So, heresh her details. She's 27, 5'3", 140 lbs. She wants to get down to about 110. I'll help her with this best I can, but I want to create something structured and easy to follow in terms of a diet plan and exercise regimen. Any suggestions or good resources to look at, I'd appreciate it. There's a lot of conflicting information on the net, and I want something reliable and easy for her.

I can write up something better in the morning (or someone else here will), but you gotta tell her now that's not enough calories. It's unsafe. Please tell her to double that, starting now.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Depending on her activity level she most likely needs at least 1200 calories. She can go higher if she is active. I don't think anyone needs anything too complicated. I'd say at least 90 grams of protein with some resistance training to maintain as much lean mass as possible. The rest of her calories can come from whatever she prefers. Losing lbm will cost her a more athletic shape and will affect her metabolism more in a negative way. Fibrous veggies and fruit are recommended.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can write up something better in the morning (or someone else here will), but you gotta tell her now that's not enough calories. It's unsafe. Please tell her to double that, starting now.

Yeah, I've already told her that, but I wanna give her a better alternative that she can start with right away. But yes, I've told her emphatically not to do it that way

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Depending on her activity level she most likely needs at least 1200 calories. She can go higher if she is active. I don't think anyone needs anything too complicated. I'd say at least 90 grams of protein with some resistance training to maintain as much lean mass as possible. The rest of her calories can come from whatever she prefers. Losing lbm will cost her a more athletic shape and will affect her metabolism more in a negative way. Fibrous veggies and fruit are recommended.

Awesome, this is a good start

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
My weight loss stuck at 20 pounds but my body keeps changing. Not mad at it tho but would be nicer to see some more progress on the scale

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does a 155 lb ohp at 155.9 count as body weight? Lol, tried to do 160, and naw, no way that was going up. Did a 225 bent over row for the first time, don't know what a good Metric for a bbrow is, though.
I want to get this ohp goal over with already, so I can concentrate on finally hitting 4 plate dead's.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
My weight loss stuck at 20 pounds but my body keeps changing. Not mad at it tho but would be nicer to see some more progress on the scale

It only takes 600 calories to create a lb of muscle and 3500 to lose a lb of fat. If you see changes in the mirror and in the way your clothes fit that in my opinion is more impressive than some arbritrary number on the scale. Getting to a goal weight should only be desired if you're in some weight loss competition. A recomp equals a higher metabolic rate.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My training buddies are getting more and more anxious to incorporate some ab exercises in our training. So I come to you fit - what is your favourite ab exercise?

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Weighted crunch movement and leg raises are all you need. Of course, diet is number 1 if you want to actually see your abs.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Been running the Starting Strength regime semi-consistently since 2012 and transitioning to 5/3/1 today. I tend to find once the weights get heavier with the former, I'm spending a lot of time in the gym that I'd rather cut down. Squatting 3 times a week is a big ask, too (I forget if Mark says to adjust this after a time, been awhile since I read my copy).

Onward to military press day!

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I need to incorporate better warm up and post workout. Does fitera like the foam roller or tennis ball more?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I've seen more talk from S&C coaches against that stuff than I've seen in favor of it.
I feel like I should be doing something though. I'm at a desk sitting for 7 hours and a long commute. Lower back and right shoulder started giving a dull pain, thought it was from sleeping wrong but it persists. Skipped gym for 5 days and doesn't feel better.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
We'll see how long I can keep calories at 1800. Trying to make some movement happen on the scale. I usually diet slow to stay satisfied, to avoid a binge, and to keep strength up for workouts but I need to get serious as my tougher mudder is coming up and I don't want to be lagging behind my smaller friends. Almost finished with day 1, lol! 196.8 on scale right now. Shooting for 185 or less by August.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I will say I've never done a bad yoga class on YouTube.

I will also say that despite all of the magazines, videos, text, etc., that nothing replaces the incite of a good yoga teacher.

My firm suggestion is to take a class, preferablely standard vinyasa or yin or one of those weekly classes it seems like every CrossFit box does, and ask from there.

And this is also the season of free yoga. Every lululemon offers a weekly class or event for free and it's usually yoga, every city's park department is doing some type of yoga in the park, it's common for outdoor malls and town centers to have a weekly yoga class, etc. Do the class and connect with the teacher.

Mr. X

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself a cheap Fitbit Flex 2. (Not as cheap as some stores had them on clearance for, but cheaper than their current retail at least.) I'm not sure how accurate it is on steps, but I was impressed when I took it into the pool today. (Would have gone yesterday, but I woke up with headaches, dizziness, and major gastrointestinal distress that lasted all day, but was mysteriously gone by this morning.) The thing tracked my laps perfectly. I'm still not speeding up by much; I only did 31 laps in 64 minutes, which is basically one length a minute, given my frequent rest stops. Oddly, I've found that that I actually speed up the closer I get to the end of my lap goal. I'm not sure if this means I actually have much better in me that I could get at if I just pushed myself harder, or if it just takes a while for me to acclimate to swimming each day and I only get decent after I've been in the pool a few laps already.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I've never done a bad yoga class on YouTube.

I will also say that despite all of the magazines, videos, text, etc., that nothing replaces the incite of a good yoga teacher.

My firm suggestion is to take a class, preferablely standard vinyasa or yin or one of those weekly classes it seems like every CrossFit box does, and ask from there.

And this is also the season of free yoga. Every lululemon offers a weekly class or event for free and it's usually yoga, every city's park department is doing some type of yoga in the park, it's common for outdoor malls and town centers to have a weekly yoga class, etc. Do the class and connect with the teacher.

Mr. X

Thx

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, doing cardio in order to lose weight, do these sauna suits/trash bags actually work? I used a pair I grabbed out of impulse from the store, definitely was sweating like crazy, but if it's just water weight I don't care. Also the bottoms on these tore the after the first use lol.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Quick question, doing cardio in order to lose weight, do these sauna suits/trash bags actually work? I used a pair I grabbed out of impulse from the store, definitely was sweating like crazy, but if it's just water weight I don't care. Also the bottoms on these tore the after the first use lol.

No. They are really only beneficial for fighters/wrestlers trying to make weight. Also cardio is overrated for fat loss. Controlling calories and getting a good amount of protein is far superior. Resistance training is also superior as it will ensure you keep more lean body mass which helps your metabolism. That said, cardio is still a good thing for overall health.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I just weighed myself for the first time in 8 months. I was 205 then, 185 now. Feels so fucking good to be back at that number. I'm 5'11 so I want to end up at like 175/180.

Cutting chocolate completely out of my diet and working out really hard did it.