• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
This is a wobble board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Fr5JjgFDE

Some goon took one and placed it in the one of the power/squat racks and was balancing on it, he could it literally anywhere and he chose literally the most fucking retarded place to do it.If I thought I could have gotten away with it I would have recorded it.

i hope they were doing overhead squats using the wobble board.
I would have loved to see him try and fail

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
This is a wobble board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Fr5JjgFDE

Some goon took one and placed it in the one of the power/squat racks and was balancing on it, he could it literally anywhere and he chose literally the most fucking retarded place to do it.If I thought I could have gotten away with it I would have recorded it.

I would have loved to see him try and fail

This is an Instagram thing .I've been seeing friends of mine do it. :-(:-(:-(:-(

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
How often do you guys change programs?

I started doing full body three days a week but recovery got difficult after a few months so I switched to a four day split and havent looked back. I'm periodically tweaking it though. Like changing from curls to hammer curls or moving exercises from one day do another but that's adjustments for the long run.

I plan on sticking with this until years end, but I'm curious about volume training and may give that a shot when I do a bulk. From what I gather, you don't want to switch programs too often. Consistency is the game so I just tweak what I've got to accommodate changes.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
lPzA54B.jpg

bit of an update, fell off the wagon a bit, hovering just above 220 lbs

summer is fun, too much eating, I still want to drop 10 lbs but this might be where I just maintain for the rest of the summer

calves still poverty af

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

summer is fun, too much eating, I still want to drop 10 lbs but this might be where I just maintain for the rest of the summer

calves still poverty af

I hear ya on the calves. Are you tall, 220 is big boy weight. Awesome size.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of calves, I started doing calf press 90lbs 3 sets 15 reps to try to buff them at the end of DL day. Additional benefit, jumping rope and int sprints don't hurt much at all now in my foot/ankle/calf region.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lPzA54B.jpg

calves still poverty af

Looking dope man

I'm 6ft5 and around 250lbs atm and yeh man calfs are fucking hard as fuck to gain being tall. Seems like doesn't matter what I do my calfs still look trash.

In other news beat my deadlift record other week. Now up to 440lbs

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Had a good day yesterday and pushed myself.

Bench 1RM @ 295
Deadlift 1RM @ 495 (I feel I could've hit 500)

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
lPzA54B.jpg

calves still poverty af
You should be very proud. That's an excellent physique...and 220 at Arnold height is nothing to sneeze at. Kinda doubtful that I'll ever look like that.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
As far as calves go, I really think wearing a weighted vest while in a surplus will do the trick. I don't know any heavy or previously heavy dudes that don't have large calves. I was never much over 220 and have small calves even though I work them as much as anything else. My buddy who used to be almost 400 pounds has veins and striations in his calves when still over 300 pounds. Makes me sick, lol!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
As far as calves go, I really think wearing a weighted vest while in a surplus will do the trick. I don't know any heavy or previously heavy dudes that don't have large calves. I was never much over 220 and have small calves even though I work them as much as anything else. My buddy who used to be almost 400 pounds has veins and striations in his calves when still over 300 pounds. Makes me sick, lol!
Yup, I'd agree. Most guys that used to be super heavy tend to have big calves. There's a matter of high insertions messing up the look for some, but you can still tell there's decent muscle there.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw an actual white nationalist in a coffee shop today. Khakis and some white power button down shirt.

This is fitness related because I was getting a coffee on my way to lift.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yup, I'd agree. Most guys that used to be super heavy tend to have big calves. There's a matter of high insertions messing up the look for some, but you can still tell there's decent muscle there.

Yep, the problem for me is finally getting ripped enough where I'm happy enough to do a bulk. I get close but then winter comes and I sit and play videogames and gain back a good 15-20 and then in the spring I'm back to square one. Anyone else relate? I cri erytiem.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the same thing with girls. All the obese transformation pics, they still have tree trunk legs compared to the rest of their bodies.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
This workout feels weird without caffeine. Forgot my tea this morning so my energy is a bit off. Plowing forward though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Got a new PR on overhead press today despite being 10 lbs lighter than i was during my previous PR. Bench is still 15 lbs down after my cut though. Weird how my overhead press progressed so quickly compared to my bench.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks, fitness related, although you can tell me to gtfo and start a thread somewhere else.

Looking for a new gym bag - one that I can combine my work and gym stuff with - I was looking at the following ones:

https://www.aersf.com/duffel-pack-2-black
https://www.dsptch.com/products/gym-work-pack-black
https://www.dsptch.com/collections/packs/products/gym-work-bag-black

Basically looking to be able to take my work gear, lunch and gym gear all at once - I'd like to ride my bike more to work.

Anybody have experience with those bags? All the reviews seem positive for all of them

Otherwise what gym bags does everybody else use? Any recommendations are also appreciated!

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the day wishing I'd beat on that white nationalist yesterday.

Hey folks, fitness related, although you can tell me to gtfo and start a thread somewhere else.

Looking for a new gym bag - one that I can combine my work and gym stuff with - I was looking at the following ones:

Basically looking to be able to take my work gear, lunch and gym gear all at once - I'd like to ride my bike more to work.

Anybody have experience with those bags? All the reviews seem positive for all of them

Otherwise what gym bags does everybody else use? Any recommendations are also appreciated!

I have an Under Armor bag that's over 10 years old now. Held up extremely well.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVF8AIG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I bought this years ago and it fits my gym gear/lunch/snacks/etc and has held up nicely, and its only $30.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else struggle between picking Bodybuilding and Power Lifting? I like seeing my numbers up and being able to easily identify progress, but i also like the idea of being as lean as aesthetically pleasing as possible, but then when my numbers go down i get demoralized.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
How do yall handle tracking cooked ingredients? Usually, when I roast a full package of chicken breast at 600g it goes down to about 350g and I put in 350g through the scanned bar code (which says 110cals per 100g).
Well today I tried air frying my chicken breast and after weighing in the results it came out to 530g (yesterday my air fried chicken breast cam out at 430g or something). Which is a lot more than usual as you can see... but from the exact same base ingredient.

So should I just put in 600g at 110cals (the pre-cooked stats) or weigh in after cooking but look for the corresponding myfitnesspal entry for each frigging method of cooking?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
signed back up to a second gym before they up their rate once they open their new facility. glad i kept the keyfob. not about to pay for another one. and it was $0 enrollment since i was already with them once.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
How do yall handle tracking cooked ingredients? Usually, when I roast a full package of chicken breast at 600g it goes down to about 350g and I put in 350g through the scanned bar code (which says 110cals per 100g).

For something like chicken breast I'd do it raw. You're not losing anything meaningful when you cook it, only water.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my gym got a new leg press. It's just like the old one except it holds fewer plates.

This sums up my gym.
Is this a Planet Fitness?
How do yall handle tracking cooked ingredients? Usually, when I roast a full package of chicken breast at 600g it goes down to about 350g and I put in 350g through the scanned bar code (which says 110cals per 100g)..
I usually measured cook but with chicken sometimes they'll have macros for both. Like raw serving size is 4oz and cooked is 3oz. I'll go by raw if I can't weigh the chicken after cooking.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing i know about Planet Fitness is that they appear in alot of fail videos, usually has somebody using a machine wrong (often times, dangerously wrong) with zero employee intervention. Only time i've seen them intervene is if somebody is doing deadlifts, ya know, arguably the most important lift.

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha, not a Planet Fitness. But sometimes it sure feels like one.

Somehow I'm in a town of 250k or so in Florida that doesn't have a real gym. We do have a ton of personal trainer only places though. I hate this town so much.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Do you guys have any gems as far as getting some affordable, quality, no-brand (or minimal brand) clothing and equipment?

Looking for sweatpants/shorts/yoga pants

kettlebells, yoga mat, running shoes (are vibram five-fingers still a thing?), drawstring gym bags, bands for stretching, foam roller

I know there is a lot of nike/adidas expensive type brands, so maybe someone knows a good place to buy these things. I went to Uniqlo once and saw they had some decent looking and clean looking range of workout clothing, but I dont know if it will hold up over time.

I've been wearing these Superdry sweatpants for the past 3 years and they've gotten nasty and the seam has ripped at the crotch multiple times. But they've been really good to me and taken a lot of abuse. I'm looking for something that can take a beating, and a proper washing so I can also vigigar soak it when the sweat smell get into the fabric.

Some workout clothing I've run across have just been made to break down. I'd rather have a few really solid pieces for working out and pay a bit more, but I'd also like to avoid the designer stuff where you're paying 250 dollars for a pair of sweatpants. That shit is just bonkers.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys have any gems as far as getting some affordable, quality, no-brand (or minimal brand) clothing and equipment?

kettlebells, yoga mat, running shoes (are vibram five-fingers still a thing?), drawstring gym bags, bands for stretching, foam roller

I know there is a lot of nike/adidas expensive type brands, so maybe someone knows a good place to buy these things. I went to Uniqlo once and saw they had some decent looking and clean looking range of workout clothing, but I dont know if it will hold up over time.

I've been wearing these Superdry sweatpants for the past 3 years and they've gotten nasty and the seam has ripped at the crotch multiple times. But they've been really good to me and taken a lot of abuse. I'm looking for something that can take a beating, and a proper washing so I can also vigigar soak it when the sweat smell get into the fabric.

Some workout clothing I've run across have just been made to break down. I'd rather have a few really solid pieces for working out and pay a bit more, but I'd also like to avoid the designer stuff where you're paying 250 dollars for a pair of sweatpants. That shit is just bonkers.

Retail markup across apparel brands is usually stable (around 50-60%). Though the fabric and the even the assembly usually comes out of the same few suppliers (China dominates technical fabrics), you are generally paying for higher R&D and design costs, higher quality control and higher quality fabric the more money you spend on athletic apparel.

That being said, shop at TJ Maxx, Marshal's, and Saks Off 5th. They frequently have off-price Under Armour, Nike, Adidas, etc. for 20-30% off retail value. They sell overbuys and overstock from big name brands and small boutiques, so they're basically passing the savings on to you.

Same or similar quality stuff (unless it's made for TKX or Off 5th), it's just probably out of season or isn't being made at all anymore or doesn't fit the collection or there was some minor problem with the manufacturing or fabric, etc.

Avoid RBX, though. That shit is trash. C3 by Champion (made for Target) is excellent though. They copy all the big names but with cheaper fabrics and design.

And sign up for email promotions of your favorite brands or brands you know. Certain brands relatively frequently do up to 40% off during major shopping holidays. Father's Day, for instance, is an amazing time to shop for men's athletic apparel.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I'm wearing an Under Armor shirt right now that's well over 10 years old, and the only thing wrong with it is the UA symbol is half gone. I've had very good luck with UA and Nike. Adidas too.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, under armour is solid. Skins, Sub Sports and 2XU are really good too, but I don't know if they're available in the US.

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
About five months into weightlifting, having never really exercised before.

They're doing a "test week" at my gym, first time testing my 3RM. Hoping to hit my bodyweight (90kg) for squats and deadlifts and optimistically, maybe, 60kg for bench press.

After that, I want to really get my nutrition on track. I feel like not getting enough protein is probably holding me back.

Is whey protein powder basically a necessity?

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About five months into weightlifting, having never really exercised before.

They're doing a "test week" at my gym, first time testing my 3RM. Hoping to hit my bodyweight (90kg) for squats and deadlifts and optimistically, maybe, 60kg for bench press.

After that, I want to really get my nutrition on track. I feel like not getting enough protein is probably holding me back.

Is whey protein powder basically a necessity?
It's a cheap and easy way of getting the protein you need. Sure you can eat tons of beans, meat, tuna, eggs or whatever you want. Or you could get a few scoops of whey each day. For me it's a way of eating basically what I did before and just get two shakes a day.

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cheap and easy way of getting the protein you need. Sure you can eat tons of beans, meat, tuna, eggs or whatever you want. Or you could get a few scoops of whey each day. For me it's a way of eating basically what I did before and just get two shakes a day.
Cool, yeah. I figured as much. I've just been lazy about it. I've never had the best eating habits. I'll buy some today.

I've definitely upped my protein intake since I started exercising, but I doubt I'm regularly hitting that 160-200g range. Similar to you, I probably only need 1-2 scoops to supplement what I'm already eating.

Oct 25, 2017
So I suspect I have tennis elbow. Don't do pull-ups too often, kids. In better news, yesterday on squats I did 405, 425, 455, 475 all for sets of 5 (good depth, no belt or wraps).

Cool, yeah. I figured as much. I've just been lazy about it. I've never had the best eating habits. I'll buy some today.

I've definitely upped my protein intake since I started exercising, but I doubt I'm regularly hitting that 160-200g range. Similar to you, I probably only need 1-2 scoops to supplement what I'm already eating.
I'd really recommend getting out pen and paper and adding up your protein (and your calories) for today. I suspect a lot of guys who lift think they're getting more than they are.

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
So I suspect I have tennis elbow. Don't do pull-ups too often, kids. In better news, yesterday on squats I did 405, 425, 455, 475 all for sets of 5 (good depth, no belt or wraps).

I'd really recommend getting out pen and paper and adding up your protein (and your calories) for today. I suspect a lot of guys who lift think they're getting more than they are.

Yeah, I probably need to be more rigorous about it. I'm sort of just guessing based on having increased my meat and dairy and egg intake. It would be good to get actual numbers on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I probably need to be more rigorous about it. I'm sort of just guessing based on having increased my meat and dairy and egg intake. It would be good to get actual numbers on it.
I mean, here's what you'd need to eat in a day to get to 180 grams of protein without using supps.

breakfast
4 eggs + 2 cups whole milk == 40 grams

lunch
one big can of tuna == 60 grams

dinner
two cups of chicken breast == 80 grams

That's a lot of meat, and you have to do it every day, and when you add in the veggies, oats, and water you need too that's going to be a ton of food. Now if you're really serious about getting stronger, you'll do that much in real food plus a few scoops of protein powder every day.

The best I can say is you'll get used to all the food. And if you're lifting heavy you will definitely feel like your body needs it.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

I generally advise against protein supplements because it encourages people to do what you're suggesting-to skip real whole foods and take powder. You miss out on so many micronutrients and fiber that has to be supplemented back into the diet. When it comes to fitness, effort in the kitchen is just as important as the gym. But if time is a factor, protein powder does indeed help hit macros. It's just not ideal.

dietertong

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVF8AIG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I bought this years ago and it fits my gym gear/lunch/snacks/etc and has held up nicely, and its only $30.

Thanks for the suggestion! I took a look, but need a few more compartments to help organize my stuff - laptop and gear, etc.

I
I have an Under Armor bag that's over 10 years old now. Held up extremely well.

Mine's an old Swiss gear bag that's over 10 years old, but it's going to fall apart on me soon. All the zippers are broken and there's a hole in the bottom :-|

I'll check out some UA bags