• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Moved gym this week and trying it out. Seems they're missing a lot of 2,5kg and 1,25kg (5lbs and 2,5lbs) plates. I like the idea of progressive overload where I can increase a little each session, but it seems that might be difficult... How hard is it to just stock up on tons of weights in all sizes?!

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost signed up for LA Fitness today but didn't think it was worth it. I just can't justify 149 down and 24 a month.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Moved gym this week and trying it out. Seems they're missing a lot of 2,5kg and 1,25kg (5lbs and 2,5lbs) plates. I like the idea of progressive overload where I can increase a little each session, but it seems that might be difficult... How hard is it to just stock up on tons of weights in all sizes?!
Just get more creative with your progression.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually was thinking about doing this, but I'm in Florida and the heat would have been unbearable.

I'm lucky enough to have a spare room and my house has AC. Half Squat Rack was $350 new, i bought a bench, barbell, and plates used on craigslist for about half the price i would have paid at a store. Not a terrible deal. Definitely cheaper than some of the crazy prices that gyms charge. I can do Bench, over head press, squats, deadlifts, rows, and pull ups from home so i don't have to go to the gym.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Been on a work trip all week so it's been a week of doing nothing and eating big. Can't wait to see the scale tomorrow lol

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Been on a work trip all week so it's been a week of doing nothing and eating big. Can't wait to see the scale tomorrow lol

Brother, this is me right now.

I overate so much god damn. Two Saturdays ago I hit 169.6lbs which was a huge milestone for me. I wanted more than anything in the world to be under 170lbs. But I've been on a work trip in Florida and I feel like when I come back home tomorrow I'll see 180lbs on the scale lol...

What makes me a bit hopeful is that I have been lifting weights and swimming at the hotel pool every day. But I log every calorie I consume - so I can see just from looking at the numbers that I've been consuming way way way WAY more than I should be to maintain.

Well, after this work trip I'll try to be more disciplined. My next milestone I want to hit is 160lbs.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

My 24 Hr doesn't have 2.5lb plates, so I bought them off Amazon and take them with me to the gym.

Fitness experts, may I ask your advice? I have a family reunion coming up in 3 weeks and I'd like to tone up the butt/thigh area (more) before we go. I've been doing 50-100 squats a day for the last 2 weeks and there are definitely improvements, but if anyone had any moves that in their experience got good results, I'd love to know. Naturally I know that 3 weeks isn't going to net a makeover and I'm not expecting that at all, but given my weight/size it isn't hard to get visible results with a little more work, so I thought I'd ask. If any of those moves happened to gently help out the abdomen too, that'd be great. I can't do much there yet because all of the muscles are still weak/stretched, but I'm sure they can handle a little exercise by now.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Brother, this is me right now.

I overate so much god damn. Two Saturdays ago I hit 169.6lbs which was a huge milestone for me. I wanted more than anything in the world to be under 170lbs. But I've been on a work trip in Florida and I feel like when I come back home tomorrow I'll see 180lbs on the scale lol...

What makes me a bit hopeful is that I have been lifting weights and swimming at the hotel pool every day. But I log every calorie I consume - so I can see just from looking at the numbers that I've been consuming way way way WAY more than I should be to maintain.

Well, after this work trip I'll try to be more disciplined. My next milestone I want to hit is 160lbs.

I've tried to stay on the responsible side, but eating out so much is tough. That big ass calzone last night...ooh it was good and worth it. I figure it's worth the recharge and although it may be a bit of a setback, was good to enjoy food again. Will be back on my diet tomorrow which I planned on anyway. I did manage to stay away from alcohol at least. So that didn't up the calories there.

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up "test week" with 3RM of 95kg on deadlift, 85kg on squat and 55kg on bench. I guess that's decent progress after five months (6'3", 195lbs) but about 5kg short of where I wanted to be on all of them. My technique on bench press especially is still quite poor.

The other thing I want to get better at are pull ups. I still can't really do them at all.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up "test week" with 3RM of 95kg on deadlift, 85kg on squat and 55kg on bench. I guess that's decent progress after five months (6'3", 195lbs) but about 5kg short of where I wanted to be on all of them. My technique on bench press especially is still quite poor.

The other thing I want to get better at are pull ups. I still can't really do them at all.

Are you doing rows? They will help build up your lats and biceps and make pull ups easier.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's interesting how different ratios can look for novices like you and me. My deadlift and bench is higher but my squat is still at 72,5kg 5RM. I'm just terrible at squats lol

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, lately I've been doing bird dog rows, ring rows (sometimes single arm), and I also have been doing pull up negatives.

I'm getting close, I think. I was starting from a very low base of fitness (basically never exercised before), so I know I just have to be patient with it.

Mentioned before, but sorting out my diet and losing a bit of body fat will probably help too.

Kavalier

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting how different ratios can look for novices like you and me. My deadlift and bench is higher but my squat is still at 72,5kg 5RM. I'm just terrible at squats lol
I squat twice a week, which probably is why I'm a little further ahead. One of those days I do pause squats, 4 sets of 5 with a slightly lighter weight, pausing for 3 seconds at the bottom of the squat.

Maybe something like that would help.

Oct 25, 2017
Fitness experts, may I ask your advice? I have a family reunion coming up in 3 weeks and I'd like to tone up the butt/thigh area (more) before we go. I've been doing 50-100 squats a day for the last 2 weeks and there are definitely improvements, but if anyone had any moves that in their experience got good results, I'd love to know. Naturally I know that 3 weeks isn't going to net a makeover and I'm not expecting that at all, but given my weight/size it isn't hard to get visible results with a little more work, so I thought I'd ask. If any of those moves happened to gently help out the abdomen too, that'd be great. I can't do much there yet because all of the muscles are still weak/stretched, but I'm sure they can handle a little exercise by now.
So, I have some not good news. As you've already said, 3 weeks isn't enough time to really get results from exercises. You can either build muscle or lose fat--and if you do both, you can look more 'toned.' But both take time. My first recommendation would be to really tighten up your diet (safely, of course; I don't know your gender/height/weight, but someone was posting in here recently about his gf, and she was well below the safe calorie minimum). If you need advice about how to do that, feel free to post your current diet and we can offer feedback.

On exercises, my first thought is to add sprints. Go to a park or track (if you can), measure off, say, 40 yards, and just do some sprints. This is a good way to burn calories, and it's also a good workout for your legs and your abs and shoulders as well.

I'm looking at your comment about your ab muscles being weak/stretched. Did you just have surgery, or maybe have a kid? Because I don't know if that would make sprints too much or too strenuous.

So, I have some not good news. As you've already said, 3 weeks isn't enough time to really get results from exercises. You can either build muscle or lose fat--and if you do both, you can look more 'toned.' But both take time. My first recommendation would be to really tighten up your diet (safely, of course; I don't know your gender/height/weight, but someone was posting in here recently about his gf, and she was well below the safe calorie minimum). If you need advice about how to do that, feel free to post your current diet and we can offer feedback.

On exercises, my first thought is to add sprints. Go to a park or track (if you can), measure off, say, 40 yards, and just do some sprints. This is a good way to burn calories, and it's also a good workout for your legs and your abs and shoulders as well.

I'm looking at your comment about your ab muscles being weak/stretched. Did you just have surgery, or maybe have a kid? Because I don't know if that would make sprints too much or too strenuous.

IISJT6a.jpg

Shame. And I had such modest hopes for 5 weeks of squats. :P

Well, I'm ~105lbs and 5'4" in height, so I'm not worried about my diet except that I need to eat more which is easier said than done when my 2 year old wants to eat anything I make for myself. As you guessed, I'm a mom who recently had her second child, so my ab muscles are in a state, but I've been back to my average weight for a few months now. I'm just a bit skinny weak? Skinny soft? Sadly, sprint in the park aren't really an option unless I go at 8PM and skip dinner, my only decent meal of the day. I was hoping for something more bite-sized that I could squeeze in between naps like the squats. I do get plenty of walking and pushing a stroller because I don't drive so I hike the kids everywhere (baby strapped to me, toddler in a stroller). I'm not in horrible shape, just lacking tone, I think. What if I did 200 squats a day instead of 100? :D

Oct 25, 2017
IISJT6a.jpg

Shame. And I had such modest hopes for 5 weeks of squats. :P

Well, I'm ~105lbs and 5'4" in height, so I'm not worried about my diet except that I need to eat more which is easier said than done when my 2 year old wants to eat anything I make for myself. As you guessed, I'm a mom who recently had her second child, so my ab muscles are in a state, but I've been back to my average weight for a few months now. I'm just a bit skinny weak? Skinny soft? Sadly, sprint in the park aren't really an option unless I go at 8PM and skip dinner, my only decent meal of the day. I was hoping for something more bite-sized that I could squeeze in between naps like the squats. I do get plenty of walking and pushing a stroller because I don't drive so I hike the kids everywhere (baby strapped to me, toddler in a stroller). I'm not in horrible shape, just lacking tone, I think. What if I did 200 squats a day instead of 100? :D
I know, right? I blame Millennials.

Bad news is that if you don't have time for sprints, you're not gonna have time for a lot else. But I have a few thoughts.

1) push-ups

2) One of those ab wheels. I recently bought one and it's easy to do some every morning. But again, I don't know what your limitations are for your stomach.

3) Good news is that carrying weighted loads for distance is super awesome. So I'd recommend doing as much walking with the kids as you can, as fast as you can.

4) This might sound like snark, but it's serious. Start thinking about looking awesome next year.

5) Walking lunges, but you've probably already thought of that. You can add challenge by jumping up in the air as you switch legs between reps.

6) There's also stuff like burpees.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whats going on with my psoas muscle but its flaring up during squats even after a months rest. I'm afraid im just going to have to abandon squats, i can still do lunges and leg extensions but i doubt thats going to make up for the loss of such an important lift.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know whats going on with my psoas muscle but its flaring up during squats even after a months rest. I'm afraid im just going to have to abandon squats, i can still do lunges and leg extensions but i doubt thats going to make up for the loss of such an important lift.

Do yoga.

A nice, normal vinyasa flow both stretches and strengthens those muscles in a healthy, controlled way. It should get you back to squats in zero time.

reddonkeyham

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a workout to do at home primarly for legs. Got nought but dumbbells and good ol' fashioned bodyweight to work with.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since my sports thread didn't take off and so as not to be labeled a serial bumper, I'll just peruse this thread.

Quick background. I've been fat my whole life since last year, until I discovered running then lifting which lead me to the new me. I've ignored sports my whole life. Now that I look and feel better than almost everyone I know, I need to put this newfound strength to other use.

Basketball is huge in my country. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's the second most fanatical country in the whole world, next to the US. I have ignored it my entire life. But lately I figured why the heck not, bought a ball, and started shooting hoops while no one is looking. Today, I just played a game of basketball with virtual strangers and it was truly fun, although I still don't know the basics or the rules, we won.

Oct 25, 2017
Since my sports thread didn't take off and so as not to be labeled a serial bumper, I'll just peruse this thread.

Quick background. I've been fat my whole life since last year, until I discovered running then lifting which lead me to the new me. I've ignored sports my whole life. Now that I look and feel better than almost everyone I know, I need to put this newfound strength to other use.

Basketball is huge in my country. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's the second most fanatical country in the whole world, next to the US. I have ignored it my entire life. But lately I figured why the heck not, bought a ball, and started shooting hoops while no one is looking. Today, I just played a game of basketball with virtual strangers and it was truly fun, although I still don't know the basics or the rules, we won.
Sports thread?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do yoga.

A nice, normal vinyasa flow both stretches and strengthens those muscles in a healthy, controlled way. It should get you back to squats in zero time.

Is 30 minutes necessary? I do a 7 minute stretch routine every night that mostly covers hip/leg movements. I can tell its helped with my deadlift mobility (my back doesn't arch as much now) but yeah, out of nowhere a couple of months ago my right hip/thigh area started hurting during squats but stretching it hasn't fixed the problem. (neither has ice and a chiropractor visit).

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Is 30 minutes necessary? I do a 7 minute stretch routine every night that mostly covers hip/leg movements. I can tell its helped with my deadlift mobility (my back doesn't arch as much now) but yeah, out of nowhere a couple of months ago my right hip/thigh area started hurting during squats but stretching it hasn't fixed the problem. (neither has ice and a chiropractor visit).

The stretching portion probably does nothing to prevent injury specifically, according to the American College of Sports Medicine.

I was thinking of it as kind of a self-rehab, as a way for you to increase the mobility and strength and function of the hip flexor enough to balance your body and alleviate the tension.

But your existing stretching routine may already cover all of that. :-\

I did find these interesting stretches in my light research, though.

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/release-tension-in-the-psoas

I know, right? I blame Millennials.

Bad news is that if you don't have time for sprints, you're not gonna have time for a lot else. But I have a few thoughts.

1) push-ups

2) One of those ab wheels. I recently bought one and it's easy to do some every morning. But again, I don't know what your limitations are for your stomach.

3) Good news is that carrying weighted loads for distance is super awesome. So I'd recommend doing as much walking with the kids as you can, as fast as you can.

4) This might sound like snark, but it's serious. Start thinking about looking awesome next year.

5) Walking lunges, but you've probably already thought of that. You can add challenge by jumping up in the air as you switch legs between reps.

6) There's also stuff like burpees.

And all those instagram squat accounts people post had me so optimistic too! Bummer. Maybe I'll work in some of those lunges you mentioned.

Ab-wise, I could certainly do push-ups. My arms look all right (there's definition/they're firm from all the baby lifts), but I'm definitely lacking in strength and if it'll nudge the abs a bit too that wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think I'll be able to do the ab wheel for a while, though.

For weighted loads, I truck the kids out almost every day, and M-W-F I'm hiking them to the 2yr old's school which is just under a mile away + shopping later. There's no lack of exercise there. I lost the 30lbs I'd gained during the pregnancy in a month and a half. I heartily recommend kids for anyone who wants to lose weight. In fact, I'm happy to rent mine out any time. ;)

For #4, I'm wounded. J/k. We'll see. I'm not the most motivated of people when it comes to working out (I prefer to just play soccer or something), but I might have more free time when the baby ages up a bit. Maybe 2019 resolution?

And burpees? You madman.

Thanks for all the detailed advice, VC!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally back in the saddle guys, after a few months of low motivation workout (overwork, depress) I'm trying to push myself again. Taking pre-workout supplement really helped me this week, what's your take regarding Jack3d? It's the only immediate and available preworkout here

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whats the proper way of doing a squat?

My physiotherapist said to stick your butt out while going down, but when i check youtube, people dont stick their butt out, they just go straight down and bend their knees.

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the proper way of doing a squat?

My physiotherapist said to stick your butt out while going down, but when i check youtube, people dont stick their butt out, they just go straight down and bend their knees.

I'd say yes, stick your butt out, but I guess it depends on what you mean by that, exactly. I teach people to "move down by moving your hips back" and that they should avoid trying to lower themselves straight down (because they end up folding themselves up, which is bad).

Edit: Watch this video. I can't watch with the sound on here at work right now, but he and I used to lift together way back when, and he knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So anyone have advice to deal with back pain?. Injured my upper back around l3 in October and been to the doctor twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Went to physical therapy for 6 weeks too. It helped but I still feel discomfort. I tried going back to SS for a few weeks and still feel it. Today I was lifting and just knew it was gonna hinder me during deadlifts.

While I'm not feeling constant pain or discomfort every day its still there nagging me. Before therapy I was in constant discomfort and sleeping on my side hurt. Now I feel relatively fine but it still feels like there's that knot in my back just now it doesn't include the pain. I've also put on weight due to this and I am not enjoying being so fat and out of shape :(.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So anyone have advice to deal with back pain?. Injured my upper back around l3 in October and been to the doctor twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Went to physical therapy for 6 weeks too. It helped but I still feel discomfort. I tried going back to SS for a few weeks and still feel it. Today I was lifting and just knew it was gonna hinder me during deadlifts.

While I'm not feeling constant pain or discomfort every day its still there nagging me. Before therapy I was in constant discomfort and sleeping on my side hurt. Now I feel relatively fine but it still feels like there's that knot in my back just now it doesn't include the pain. I've also put on weight due to this and I am not enjoying being so fat and out of shape :(.

Here's a couple of video's from Athlean-x (he's a physical therapist/trainer). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI&t=368s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKuFe2SERs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZcOAQoE81A

Hope one of those helps.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The wheels are turning...I priced a Rogue power rack with bar, weights and some goodies. We're talking $3500 roughly plus building a deadlift platform which isn't that bad, but the worst part is cleaning up my garage just to do this. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm strongly considering it.

I'd be back in my garage again with the bedroom setup for winter. So while it's damn near 100 degrees will suck or would have to get up early and I'm not quite an early bird. On the flip side, I'd have a dip station, pull up bar, and free weights for the big movements which I really want. Still would have all the other equipment inside like I already do, so could work back and forth.

This would be a long term goal though. Getting all my shit out of the garage will take time. I'd probably get it all put together just in time for winter. However, it would all be in place for spring. So there is that aspect.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The wheels are turning...I priced a Rogue power rack with bar, weights and some goodies. We're talking $3500 roughly plus building a deadlift platform which isn't that bad, but the worst part is cleaning up my garage just to do this. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm strongly considering it.

I'd be back in my garage again with the bedroom setup for winter. So while it's damn near 100 degrees will suck or would have to get up early and I'm not quite an early bird. On the flip side, I'd have a dip station, pull up bar, and free weights for the big movements which I really want. Still would have all the other equipment inside like I already do, so could work back and forth.

This would be a long term goal though. Getting all my shit out of the garage will take time. I'd probably get it all put together just in time for winter. However, it would all be in place for spring. So there is that aspect.
just click submit order then youre gonna have to clean that garage and set yourself up for a good future.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, here it is:

Rogue RM-390F with safety straps and J cups
AB-3 bench
Landmine attachment
Matador dip attachment
Pair of 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 35, and (4) pairs of 45 lb weights
Ohio power bar
Ohio DL bar
DL jack
3 bar gun rack
Kettlebell shelf and a couple KB's
Plate tree for the small stuff
Couple plate storage bars for the big stuff on rack
Spud inc pulley for lats and tri's
Belt, collars, etc

Comes out to just over $4700...holy shit... On the plus side, if I hit five grand, shipping is free.