• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, here it is:

Rogue RM-390F with safety straps and J cups
AB-3 bench
Landmine attachment
Matador dip attachment
Pair of 2.5, 5, 10, 25, 35, and (4) pairs of 45 lb weights
Ohio power bar
Ohio DL bar
DL jack
3 bar gun rack
Kettlebell shelf and a couple KB's
Plate tree for the small stuff
Couple plate storage bars for the big stuff on rack
Spud inc pulley for lats and tri's
Belt, collars, etc

Comes out to just over $4700...holy shit... On the plus side, if I hit five grand, shipping is free.
wait. free shipping at $5000? lol wut

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Yea and it was work getting that free shipping too lol. I was right on the edge of 5k anyway so I tossed in some farmers bars and a few other items. What's another few hundred anyway?

Got my notice that it all ships July 2nd so hopefully will have it by that weekend. In the meantime, gathering ideas for a DL platform and a material list, wall paint, mirror, fan for summer and heating ideas for winter. Going all in on this garage thing and trying to do it right. I had my Powertec out there years ago so I have a good idea what I'm looking for now. Wish I'd done this year's ago now...

Oct 27, 2017
I've been lifting for almost two months now and every compound lift except my squat is going well.

With the squat I feel my right knee crack with a little pain every time, and I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong. I can move around normally, but the second I bend it with some weight it hurts. My left knee definitely hurts at times, but it tends to recover fast enough for my next session.

I'm worried there's something going on that is beyond the normal strengthening wear and tear.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I've been lifting for almost two months now and every compound lift except my squat is going well.

With the squat I feel my right knee crack with a little pain every time, and I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong. I can move around normally, but the second I bend it with some weight it hurts. My left knee definitely hurts at times, but it tends to recover fast enough for my next session.

I'm worried there's something going on that is beyond the normal strengthening wear and tear.

Take a day off squats. I had a weird pain in my left knee and had to quit squatting that session. Just went on to the rest of my workout which didn't involve that motion. It hurt for a couple days and kind of spooked me but was back ready on squat day a week later. Its a listen to your body thing I think. My deadlift and RDL's were fine, was just pain during the squat. If rest doesn't heal it, you may need to see a dr

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Man that obesity study thread is something. I read the first page then skipped to page 16 and there's people telling each other to die. I was like "Well that escalated quickly".

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Dieting sucks. Is there a dieting thread so I can go into it and post about how much it sucks?

On the positive side of things... I think I may break under the 200 lb mark for the first time in 5 years within the next few days. Only 2 pounds above right now. Started at 215 or so so thats positive. Goal is 185.

I kind of stopped lifting for a while and went again yesterday. I don't like it very much to be honest, I will probably try to go and lift like once a week over the summer, and run a 5k once or twice a week. I need to get to more martial art classes though. At least 3 a week is a necessity.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
And so it begins...

Started gathering stuff for my garage. Its never been painted beyond white primer and one gym garage guy mentioned painting his to keep it from looking like a dingy garage. So I'm going with a yellow and gray combination. Two walls yellow and the other two a somewhat dark gray. Kind of like a Caterpillar tractor basically. My Powertec multibench is pretty similar to that yellow and it actually became the inspiration. The power rack and stall mats are black so I think it would fit the yellow nicely with the gray kind of polishing the whole thing off.

I'm also parking the car on the other side when this gets done. There's a closet on that side which won't matter to the car, but it does matter to the length of deadlift platform and stall mats. So that buys me three feet and allows for the DL platform to sit permanently. I was tossing around building a sectional one for ease of relocation but going this route, I won't care. Plus I may be able to leave the car parked on that side whiled lifting.

I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked to get this done. The amount of exercises I will be able to do will increase greatly. Only problem will be retooling my program to fit everything and getting used to free weights, but that should be the fun part.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
And so it begins...

Started gathering stuff for my garage. Its never been painted beyond white primer and one gym garage guy mentioned painting his to keep it from looking like a dingy garage. So I'm going with a yellow and gray combination. Two walls yellow and the other two a somewhat dark gray. Kind of like a Caterpillar tractor basically. My Powertec multibench is pretty similar to that yellow and it actually became the inspiration. The power rack and stall mats are black so I think it would fit the yellow nicely with the gray kind of polishing the whole thing off.

I'm also parking the car on the other side when this gets done. There's a closet on that side which won't matter to the car, but it does matter to the length of deadlift platform and stall mats. So that buys me three feet and allows for the DL platform to sit permanently. I was tossing around building a sectional one for ease of relocation but going this route, I won't care. Plus I may be able to leave the car parked on that side whiled lifting.

I gotta say, I'm pretty stoked to get this done. The amount of exercises I will be able to do will increase greatly. Only problem will be retooling my program to fit everything and getting used to free weights, but that should be the fun part.
did you get a
7.1 system so you can blast some heavy metal when you work up.

and take pictures when youre done!

Skaterboy

May 16, 2018
Good morrow my fellow Fit boys.
I'm lookin to get BEEFY.
I'm currently 62 kilos and 5' 7"
How do I go
from scrawny
to Brawny.

Skaterboy

May 16, 2018
Let's start with food. Add up your calories and grams of protein, fats, and carbs for today and post them here.

And post your current workout program too.
well I can't vomit my intake for today onto a scale and then measure every individual mineral I ate.
but if I was to guess... I would say 4 grams of protein 2 grams of fat, 15 grams of carbs. Maybe in total like 1800-2100 calories.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
well I can't vomit my intake for today onto a scale and then measure every individual mineral I ate.
but if I was to guess... I would say 4 grams of protein 2 grams of fat, 15 grams of carbs. Maybe in total like 1800-2100 calories.
Just to be clear: one egg has about seven grams of protein in it. It's impossible you consumed only 4g in a day.

Edit: should have mentioned that your daily protein intake should be about 0.7g-1.0g of protein for each pound of body weight. And if you're trying to put on size or muscle, you'll likely need to up your caloric intake. I don't know how much you weigh/height but you should be surpassing the 2k calorie/day mark regardless if you're exercising even three days a week.

Skaterboy

May 16, 2018
Just to be clear: one egg has about seven grams of protein in it. It's impossible you consumed only 4g in a day.

Edit: should have mentioned that your daily protein intake should be about 0.7g-1.0g of protein for each pound of body weight. And if you're trying to put on size or muscle, you'll likely need to up your caloric intake. I don't know how much you weigh/height but you should be surpassing the 2k calorie/day mark regardless if you're exercising even three days a week.
the only protein I've eaten today was some left over shrimps.
how many grams of protein are in two shrimps.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
the only protein I've eaten today was some left over shrimps.
how many grams of protein are in two shrimps.
I'd estimate about 6 grams.

Going back to your previous post, 4g protein, 2g fat, 15g carbs is around 100 calories. Install myfitnesspal on your phone and track your food. Whatever you eat, put it in the app. It has a bar code scan function to help you find things quickly, but just a simple search will work fine for most things. If you want to grow, you need to know what and how much you are eating. It's hard to put on muscle without sufficient protein intake and being in a caloric surplus.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get motivated with lifting weights, I start, get bored and give up.

I've been doing this bodyweight fitness beginner routine for a few months and I find it much easier to stick to, hell I want to do it more. I guess the distant prospect of being able to do the advance moves is more motivating.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

It has space to re-introduce weights as I progress which is the plan, at least for leg work.

Did anybody else start in a similar way?
Do you eventually learn to like lifting?

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just can't get motivated with lifting weights, I start, get bored and give up.

I've been doing this bodyweight fitness beginner routine for a few months and I find it much easier to stick to, hell I want to do it more. I guess the distant prospect of being able to do the advance moves is more motivating.

It has space to re-introduce weights as I progress which is the plan, at least for leg work.

I wouldn't say I like lifting. I like looking good and being healthy though. It's like cleaning the house - it's not fun but I like a clean house. Something like that.

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
In a fairly annoying situation right now and looking for some advice.

So about 9 weeks ago I had ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee and I've been doing physio everyday since and I will be for about another 7 months. During this time I have became fairly chubby and my energy levels are through the floor. I know this is also down to diet but before the surgery I was really active so it's been a huge shift for me. Cos of my physio I'm in the gym 6 days a week, usually twice a day during work. Basically what I'm looking for is a split routine where I could do 3 or 4 exercises targeting one upper body muscle group each day I'm in the gym, but I don't want to add on too much cos I'm already spending too much time there haha.

I can't do anything involving my legs, I have to stick to the exact exercises given to me by the surgeon so no squats, lunges, deadlifts or anything like that. I do have experience lifting weights but nothing past an intermediate level. Is there any kind of program that would cater to this? I've tried to make myself a program but I don't really know what exercises are most effective.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Been swimming for almost two months now, usually four days a week. I've lost 7-8 pounds, which doesn't seem too bad, although it's a bit disheartening because I still have exactly that much to go to get to my lowest weight from four years ago when I tried running during the summer. Of course to me, running sucks (flat feet and easily prone to shin splints), so I'm not trying that again.

Oct 27, 2017

I've always liked lifting weight. It's easier to track my progress that way. Plus it gave me a great pump when I first started lifting, which was very motivating and satisfying.

Leg day is always a pain, but I can't imagine having made too much in the way of gains without using some sort of weight. Well, maybe sprints could've worked for awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone have advice to deal with back pain?. Injured my upper back around l3 in October and been to the doctor twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Went to physical therapy for 6 weeks too. It helped but I still feel discomfort. I tried going back to SS for a few weeks and still feel it. Today I was lifting and just knew it was gonna hinder me during deadlifts.

While I'm not feeling constant pain or discomfort every day its still there nagging me. Before therapy I was in constant discomfort and sleeping on my side hurt. Now I feel relatively fine but it still feels like there's that knot in my back just now it doesn't include the pain. I've also put on weight due to this and I am not enjoying being so fat and out of shape :(.
Sounds similar to what happened to me. I had hurt my back powerlifting, went to the dr and they said no skeletal damage and that it was probably muscular. They sent me to pt and it helped for a bit then stopped. One thing the dr did tell me was my back wouldn't be the same(I'm paraphrasing) and that I'd have pain. I just try to stretch and whatnot but I still deal with it to this day and it's been almost 6 years since the injury. A chiropractor recommend that I get an mri as well but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I'm looking to cut down on my body fat, what's the best way to go about that? I want a flat stomach again.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds similar to what happened to me. I had hurt my back powerlifting, went to the dr and they said no skeletal damage and that it was probably muscular. They sent me to pt and it helped for a bit then stopped. One thing the dr did tell me was my back wouldn't be the same(I'm paraphrasing) and that I'd have pain. I just try to stretch and whatnot but I still deal with it to this day and it's been almost 6 years since the injury. A chiropractor recommend that I get an mri as well but I'm not sure how to go about that.

I'm looking to cut down on my body fat, what's the best way to go about that? I want a flat stomach again.
Well that's depressing :(. I don't know what to do at the gym if I'm not powerlifting. It's still bothering me and weird thing is when I do physical activity be it lifting, cardio etc my back feels better afterwards. But in particular when I lift I still feel like it's holding me back and I'm scared to injure it even more.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I remember back some years ago, I'd do "before/after" collages of pics to feel good about me to see the progress, the whole comparison thing lost its appeal, partially cause gains were hard to come by.., bad diet and irregular visits to the gym happened way too often, but today I decided to do one "all time" comparison and I was happy so I wanted to share. I could have gotten much better all this time but life (mostly a demanding job) got in the way.

beforeafteralltime200a0j8u.jpg

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back some years ago, I'd do "before/after" collages of pics to feel good about me to see the progress, the whole comparison thing lost its appeal, partially cause gains were hard to come by.., bad diet and irregular visits to the gym happened way too often, but today I decided to do one "all time" comparison and I was happy so I wanted to share. I could have gotten much better all this time but life (mostly a demanding job) got in the way.

Damn, Sphinx! What an awesome comparison! Good to take a step back and see a larger view of your fitness journey. Props!

I'm considering doing a proper bulk for the first time. I'm aware of the tools to calculate macros and such, but are there any tips on how much weight one should put on during a bulk. I am currently 5'7 206 lbs. I'm thinking about going up to 225, but worried that might be too much for one bulk.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

That's an incredible transition.

How tall are you/what was your weight in the before picture?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Damn, Sphinx! What an awesome comparison! Good to take a step back and see a larger view of your fitness journey. Props!

I'm considering doing a proper bulk for the first time. I'm aware of the tools to calculate macros and such, but are there any tips on how much weight one should put on during a bulk. I am currently 5'7 206 lbs. I'm thinking about going up to 225, but worried that might be too much for one bulk.

Thanks!

Bulking has always been extremely hard for me, whenever I try to bulk I just get a belly :( I don't see the super delts or thick legs or anything.

The thing with bulking is that it works if you are insanely clean, it's a surplus of calories from very specific sources. I tried dirty bulking... man, never again, I should have known better.

also, if for whatever reason you miss gym sessions then you gotta change everything again, those calories go hand-in-hand with the workout.

it's hard to pull it off consistently, over long periods of time. I have a ton of respect for those who have their diets always in check. I always give in to donuts/pizza/burgers lol

That's an incredible transition.

How tall are you/what was your weight in the before picture?

thanks a lot :)

I am 5'5

to the left, I must have been around 141 pounds, 30 years old.

to the right, I was 160, 40 years old (was taken 2 days ago)

but I've been working out for about 5 and a half years,
during the first 3 years I was very consistent and passionate, the last 2 years, I was very on and off with all of this but thankfully, I've been able to overcome the bad periods, so far.

I like to use that pic because at that point in my life the thought of lifting or doing anything exercise related never crossed my mind so it's for me the starting point. also I just stand there shirtless so it lends itself well for that,

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Moved to Cali 7 months ago and haven't been to the gym since. Just could not convince myself that $105 a month was worth it. Got a call from the gym manager last week to come sign my paperwork and take pictures for my card. Wifey gifted me a year because she knows how much I enjoy working out. She talked them down to $75 a month. Bless her.

Cardio the end of last week and all of this week to get back into the swing of things. Adding in the old lifting routine and moving to light cardio next week:
  • Monday: Chest/Back
  • Tuesday: Shoulders/Abs
  • Wednesday: Biceps/Triceps
  • Thursday: Quads/Hamstrings
  • Friday: Calves/Abs
  • Saturday: Cardio
  • Sunday: Light cardio/Abs
Surprisingly, only gained 15 lbs during this time off even though I pretty much quit doing anything except eating red velvet bundt cakes. Hopefully the bounce back doesn't take forever.

Jealous of y'all with at home gyms. Would love to have my own private workout space.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moved to Cali 7 months ago and haven't been to the gym since. Just could not convince myself that $105 a month was worth it. Got a call from the gym manager last week to come sign my paperwork and take pictures for my card. Wifey gifted me a year because she knows how much I enjoy working out. She talked them down to $75 a month. Bless her.

Cardio the end of last week and all of this week to get back into the swing of things. Adding in the old lifting routine and moving to light cardio next week:
  • Monday: Chest/Back
  • Tuesday: Shoulders/Abs
  • Wednesday: Biceps/Triceps
  • Thursday: Quads/Hamstrings
  • Friday: Calves/Abs
  • Saturday: Cardio
  • Sunday: Light cardio/Abs
Surprisingly, only gained 15 lbs during this time off even though I pretty much quit doing anything except eating red velvet bundt cakes. Hopefully the bounce back doesn't take forever.

Jealous of y'all with at home gyms. Would love to have my own private workout space.
105 bucks a month!!!!!? That's highway robbery

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You guys got any good recommendations on HIIT workouts I can add to my routine? I like and have done insanity, but sometimes I feel like it may be a little too long.

As well, what's a good time period if you're going to do HIIT? I was thinking 20/30 mins.

I already do weightlifting, so adding more cardio would be a huge benefit for me.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So anyone have advice to deal with back pain?. Injured my upper back around l3 in October and been to the doctor twice and both times they told me nothing was wrong with it. Went to physical therapy for 6 weeks too. It helped but I still feel discomfort. I tried going back to SS for a few weeks and still feel it. Today I was lifting and just knew it was gonna hinder me during deadlifts.

While I'm not feeling constant pain or discomfort every day its still there nagging me. Before therapy I was in constant discomfort and sleeping on my side hurt. Now I feel relatively fine but it still feels like there's that knot in my back just now it doesn't include the pain. I've also put on weight due to this and I am not enjoying being so fat and out of shape :(.

What kind of doctor did you see and what was the conclusion based on? Did you get a X-ray? MRI? Unfortunately former may not tell the whole story but might provide a clue. About 1.5 months ago I re-injured my sacroiliac joint (base of the back) and I'm just now getting back to normal but the routine was: rest, go back to gym doing light workouts and non-impact cardio, hit the steam-room to stretch and constantly pay attention to how everything felt after every exercise. Your issue sounds muscular or spine/disc related but a lot of the same applies. However, you should try to pin down exactly what it is first.

As for your second post about it feeling better after a workout: that's a good sign. What isn't a good sign is if it feels tender/weak after physical activity. But this can also be accompanied by tightness so you should try to apply heat or cold and stretch.

There's plenty to do other than power lifting: low-weight/higher rep lifting and cardio as I mentioned. If you have access to a pool or a hot tub, hit them up.

See an ortho and ask for a MRI.

Cutting down body fat is diet, diet, diet. What you eat is as important as exercise. I've had a flat stomach for a long time and only about 6 months ago really started focusing on getting serious abs. This stupid fucking re-injury has affected that but I'm basically back to normal now and getting back to the same core workout I was doing every day prior to it.

Nice one!

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm no gym expert but there must be a affordable gym near.
It's the cheapest gym near my work or home. Going to a truly cheap gym (24hr) would lose me over an hour a day in additional travel plus the money for parking 6 days a week. Apparently there used to be a Y in my area, but it closed long before we moved here.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017

I meant to chime in as well, that's a good result even with setbacks.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017

This is really quite an incredible transformation.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Bulking has always been extremely hard for me, whenever I try to bulk I just get a belly :( I don't see the super delts or thick legs or anything.

The thing with bulking is that it works if you are insanely clean, it's a surplus of calories from very specific sources. I tried dirty bulking... man, never again, I should have known better.

also, if for whatever reason you miss gym sessions then you gotta change everything again, those calories go hand-in-hand with the workout.

it's hard to pull it off consistently, over long periods of time. I have a ton of respect for those who have their diets always in check. I always give in to donuts/pizza/burgers lol

Thanks for the advice! I still have diet challenges, so I will keep cutting so i can learn to eat better before I bulk for the first time.

Here's my 4 year progress pic. June 2014 vs June 2018. I'm at 5'7 205 now, so I estimate I still have about 30 lbs left before I'm at a healthy weight.

95Qxutw.jpg