• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
What do you guys recommend regarding home workout routines? I mainly want to focus on bulking up and have access to free-weights, resistance bands, but no pull up bar or bench.

Oct 25, 2017
So the leg press machine I usually use was broken today, so I used one of the bigger ones onto which you have to actually slide plates. The usual machine I use is the one where you just move the pin around on the stack of rectangular weights. Why is it that I can apparently do at least 450 pounds on the linear machine but struggle to do 270 on the other machine?
The resistance you get on any machine/ anything not free weights is going to be a little random or wonky. You really should only measure it against that machine (am I pressing more on this sled this month than last month?).

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a speed jump rope and I set it to my height. Wow this thing is amazing. I never felt this good jump roping. I'm currently starting a new program with one day rest and I plan to do cardio on that day. I'm hoping to gain 5 more pounds by February so I can hit 190lb and then I'll probably gain another 5 before recomping to lean out.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on week #5 over a beginner routine.

I'm 10 lbs heavier, but have to pull my belt tighter. Stuff is weird. I'm totally blaming the week of junk I ate during Christmas for a lot of it, which checks out on my graph I've been keeping.

LUh6QwQ.png

Should I slow down on the calories?

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
What is up y'all!!

My son lifted with us for the first time yesterday. He's 13.5 and about 110lbs. Of course we started with chest and bis. The important muscles! I gotta say he impressed me. Managed to bench 85x3. He has no idea how strong he's gonna get. Really looking fwd to seeing his progress.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
What do you guys recommend regarding home workout routines? I mainly want to focus on bulking up and have access to free-weights, resistance bands, but no pull up bar or bench.

You can get a good pullup bar that hangs in a door frame for $20-25 on Amazon. Pull-ups are highly recommended. The best back builder. As far as routine, I would simply do at least 10 sets per muscle per week. Up to 20 is even better. Push yourself on all sets following some warmup sets and you're golden.

So the leg press machine I usually use was broken today, so I used one of the bigger ones onto which you have to actually slide plates. The usual machine I use is the one where you just move the pin around on the stack of rectangular weights. Why is it that I can apparently do at least 450 pounds on the linear machine but struggle to do 270 on the other machine?

The number of pulleys, what angle you're at when pressing and the machine type can cause the actual resistance of a machine to vary greatly.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying the temporary reprieve from high reps. Front Squat triples with Knee Jumps inbetween. Then Pause Mid Shin Deadlifts. Fat Grip Double Overhand Deadlift. Topped it off with a conditioning circuit; KB Swings into "Sandbag" over Shoulder into Box Jumps. Rest 30 seconds, repeat.

Next week is 5 sets of 10, yay :/

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Pumped out 20 reps with 225 on bench today. Not a PR but it's the most I've done in my 30's. 37 years old. In the best shape of my life so far. Feels nice to say that on January 1st. I'm usually rotund this time of year lol!

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Happy new year, FitERA. Returned to the gym yesterday after taking a break over the holidays and got that almost-gonna-puke feeling. It's good to be back.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Isnt the 1st a holiday where you guys are from? I'm starting again today after a short weeklong break. Starting with legday, actually looking forward to it. I made some huge progress with squats in terms of form even though I was training my legs mainly with jumping squats, lunges, and deadlifts. I've gained so much mobility in the last year, I didn't expect that.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Happy New Year to everyone. I've been thinking of going to the gym after I get better mentally (I have a few issues first). I'm thinking of getting a personal trainer first since I have a few issues with my forearms.. are what y'alls objectives for 2019?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt the 1st a holiday where you guys are from?

My gym was open but unmanned yesterday. Almost nobody there, which was great.

Happy New Year to everyone. I've been thinking of going to the gym after I get better mentally (I have a few issues first). I'm thinking of getting a personal trainer first since I have a few issues with my forearms.. are what y'alls objectives for 2019?

1 plate OHP, 2 plate BP for me. Going to take a lot of slow, steady progress.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This is probably my favorite shot from last year or at least it's tied with my avatar. Going into the new year in even better shape. Excited to continue progressing. I've never been to this level. 2019 will be my best year yet. I need to sign up for another Tough Mudder or a Spartan race before too long. Follow me @davidgzz1981 to see how far I can take it while juggling being a husband, father of two and gamer. :)
Lf3BhQv.png

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Anyone here ever plugged in their stats here? https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=37&g=male&lbs=188&in=69&act=1.9&bf=13&f=1

I'm 188 pounds as of yesterday, it may shift downwards today by a pound or two but I found it interesting that going by this, I am at my max potential. Most would say judging by my avy that I may even be below 15% body fat yet I am a good 5 pounds above my projected potential. I wonder if I have above average genetics or if I am underestimating my percentage. I know for a fact that my legs are not totally in proportion yet so I have room for even more growth there at least. Maybe once I get them to be perfectly aesthetic with my upper body I will be close to 195 at 15%. That would be awesome since I love to eat. :) I've actually averaged that many calories for the last 3 months and have maintained my weight while getting leaner so this formula seems to be very accurate as well as the site I use to log my intake and exercise. Sorry for the triple post in here but I just found this interesting and I wonder how others compare.
B6TLpDR.png

Last edited:

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
My gym was open but unmanned yesterday. Almost nobody there, which was great.

There is an unmanned fitness planet like budget gym here that I have a cheap subscription too, for when my regular gym is closed, but I reaaaaaaally don't want to go there.

The public there is..interesting to say the least. And way too little strenght equipment.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, gym was almost dead yesterday, I was surprised. I'll brace myself for today.

Mine was dead today, It'll be this coming Monday when everything really kicks off. Was a similar story last year where the 1st landed on a Monday so everyone started properly at the beginning of the following week.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody starting a cut this month? I've been bulking since September from 165lbs and made it up to 188lbs. Got a little carried away with the bulk so I'm starting to drop body fat a little early this year. However, I made some serious gains on my lifts with Squat: 375lbs, Deadlifts: 475lbs, and Bench: 245lbs, so hopefully my strength gains don't take a hit too badly during the cut.

Anyone here ever plugged in their stats here? https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=37&g=male&lbs=188&in=69&act=1.9&bf=13&f=1

I'm 188 pounds as of yesterday, it may shift downwards today by a pound or two but I found it interesting that going by this, I am at my max potential. Most would say judging by my avy that I may even be below 15% body fat yet I am a good 5 pounds above my projected potential. I wonder if I have above average genetics or if I am underestimating my percentage. I know for a fact that my legs are not totally in proportion yet so I have room for even more growth there at least. Maybe once I get them to be perfectly aesthetic with my upper body I will be close to 195 at 15%. That would be awesome since I love to eat. :) I've actually averaged that many calories for the last 3 months and have maintained my weight while getting leaner so this formula seems to be very accurate as well as the site I use to log my intake and exercise. Sorry for the triple post in here but I just found this interesting and I wonder how others compare.
B6TLpDR.png

I've used this calculator before and it's not that accurate for me. I'm 188lbs/5'9 at the moment and I'm sure 3000 calories it tells me are my maintenance calories would be a surplus of at least 700 calories at the rate I observed I gain weight at.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This doesnt mean anything to any of you but I did 6 full pull-ups today, from barely 1 2 months ago. Im flying 😊

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Awesome. :) Did you do anything specific to focus on improving pull-ups? Like doing a program where you started by doing negatives or something?

Not really, Ive always neglected my shoulders though and Ive started doing those twice a week. Ive been lifting heavier in general as well and its paying off, even if I cant complete my reps every set. Taking more time to recover between sets as well, taking Some of the advice from the tactical barbell book someone suggested here.

Im doing a 19k mudrun in march and I want to be able to cross the monkey bars without falling into the abyss.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, Ive always neglected my shoulders though and Ive started doing those twice a week. Ive been lifting heavier in general as well and its paying off, even if I cant complete my reps every set. Taking more time to recover between sets as well, taking Some of the advice from the tactical barbell book someone suggested here.

Im doing a 19k mudrun in march and I want to be able to cross the monkey bars without falling into the abyss.
Okay, thats pretty cool. One of my goals this year is to actually improve with pull-ups and dips so I hope I can find success like you have. Good luck in March by the way. 19k mudrun sounds intense.

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay, thats pretty cool. One of my goals this year is to actually improve with pull-ups and dips so I hope I can find success like you have. Good luck in March by the way. 19k mudrun sounds intense.

Do five sets of 8 pull ups with 2-3 minutes of rest between sets. If you aren't able to to a full set of eight complete as most as you can perform with good form (from full dead hang with scapular relaxation to chin above the bar) and then complete the set doing negatives (must take around 4-5 seconds each negative, the important thing is to try to descend at the same pace along the whole rep). Do this 3 times a week for a month and you probably would be able to hit 10. Was what took me; once you past 10 adding reps becomes harder and requieres more variety in proigramming, but at that time you could start to train weighted pull ups to enhance your capacity).

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do five sets of 8 pull ups with 2-3 minutes of rest between sets. If you aren't able to to a full set of eight complete as most as you can perform with good form (from full dead hang with scapular relaxation to chin above the bar) and then complete the set doing negatives (must take around 4-5 seconds each negative, the important thing is to try to descend at the same pace along the whole rep). Do this 3 times a week for a month and you probably would be able to hit 10. Was what took me; once you past 10 adding reps becomes harder and requieres more variety in proigramming, but at that time you could start to train weighted pull ups to enhance your capacity).
In my experience doing pullups to technical fail is not efficient, you just get way too tired if you try to max out. I usually leave two reps in the tank or so

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
^ That's good when you are able to do a certain amount. I can do 12-13 strict pull ups or 15 chin ups or 7 strict pull ups with ~25 pounds at 166 bodyweight, but training I rarely go above 10 reps x set and always in decreasing pyramid (ex.: 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 bw+22lb), so yes, avoiding muscle failure is usually a good business.. But when you are starting doing them and your base is very low (5 or less) doing sets of 2-3 reps won't help too much to increase your max. Negatives are wonderful for things like pull ups or dips, in which you can easily reach the top position with a chair and doing them without risk.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
raise your hand if you haven't been to the gym since the new year. been sick and rather than go to the gym and get everyone sick i stayed home. it was cool.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I've not started yet. I'm still ill.

Turns out eating all that shit food and drinking too much alcohol isn't good for you.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
raise your hand if you haven't been to the gym since the new year. been sick and rather than go to the gym and get everyone sick i stayed home. it was cool.

I haven't been since the start of October! I need to go back, but I'm not sure if I should do muay thai instead....hmmmm I miss kicking people.

I've lost like 6 lbs of muscle, oof. The bright side is planches are easier, and I can do a one arm chin up if I grab the side of the door frame (like an L-chin up lol).

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I need some advice.

I'm 6' 2", used to be 375, got my shit together about 6 years ago and dropped to around 200 and I've floated around there ever since. Last month I finally had enough of being soft and changed my lifestyle again. My main goal was to get lean and mean so I started P90 (I was pretty out of shape and it seemed like a decent on-ramp into daily exercise) and got super strict with my diet. I'm 184 now, it's been going great, I'm loving it. My problem is I have twig arms. I want to add muscle but I really have no idea how I should go about it while I'm cutting weight. My main question is should I just wait until I finish cutting before building anything up? If it is okay, how should I adjust my diet? My current calorie intake is 1500 and I get around 100g of protein, which I should probably increase anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm 6' 2", used to be 375, got my shit together about 6 years ago and dropped to around 200 and I've floated around there ever since. Last month I finally had enough of being soft and changed my lifestyle again. My main goal was to get lean and mean so I started P90 (I was pretty out of shape and it seemed like a decent on-ramp into daily exercise) and got super strict with my diet. I'm 184 now, it's been going great, I'm loving it. My problem is I have twig arms. I want to add muscle but I really have no idea how I should go about it while I'm cutting weight. My main question is should I just wait until I finish cutting before building anything up? If it is okay, how should I adjust my diet? My current calorie intake is 1500 and I get around 100g of protein, which I should probably increase anyway. Any advice is appreciated.
I mean unless you want to use some stuff wait till you finish your cut. It's really hard to build muscle while cutting.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Constantly push yourself, even if you don't gain size you will gain a little strength and be in a better position to build once the cut is over. I'd up the calories to get more protein. I'm at your current weight and eat an average of 3700 while cutting, not sure how you have much energy at 1500...I'm pretty active so my intake is a lot higher than most people but still. You're taking in like 40% of what I am, there is no way for your body to have the resources it needs to build muscle. A smaller deficit would allow some growth.

Also, P90x is more of a cardio routine than a muscle building routine.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So what TDEE calc is everyone using?. I need to lose weight big time and the one from the OP that I used before is dead.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So what TDEE calc is everyone using?. I need to lose weight big time and the one from the OP that I used before is dead.

I use fatsecret.com you can enter all of your normal daily activities and set them as default then add any workouts and it gives a pretty accurate burn. It also has a food database similar to MFP.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
So now that the insanely stressful holiday season is over I got back to my diet/hiking/lifting routine and IM BACK BABY

Shit this feels good got caught up in the Mediterranean diet hype and made some Tabouleh. It was pretty good.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Well, it's starting to get boring. I need some advice for protein-rich breakfast.

Boring is good for me, I can keep up boring meals. Ive been having 0%fat quark 500gr with Some blueberries or raspberries and sometimes about 20gr of dried mango/pineapple/coconut flakes and 5gr of cacao for the past 3 months. Its a pretty filling meal and a big protein boost. Before that it was the same fruits with 0% greek yoghurt, 30gr of protein enriched oats, 5 gram of cacao left overnight in the fridge.

Oct 25, 2017
Constantly push yourself, even if you don't gain size you will gain a little strength and be in a better position to build once the cut is over. I'd up the calories to get more protein. I'm at your current weight and eat an average of 3700 while cutting, not sure how you have much energy at 1500...I'm pretty active so my intake is a lot higher than most people but still. You're taking in like 40% of what I am, there is no way for your body to have the resources it needs to build muscle. A smaller deficit would allow some growth.

Also, P90x is more of a cardio routine than a muscle building routine.
Yeah, I started P90 to lose weight/tighten things up. I was getting ahead of myself, I'll adjust my diet and worry about gaining once I finish my cut.

I mean unless you want to use some stuff wait till you finish your cut. It's really hard to build muscle while cutting.
That's what I figured, thanks.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been a "Jan 1-er" in 10+ years, having consistently stayed healthy through fitness and diet. 2018 was a BAD year, fitness-wise, as spending time with family (two young kids) and a job with long hours provided me with 'excuses' to avoid the gym and welcome snacking / eating unhealthy.

I'm back into a groove this year and feeling great. My wife is on the same plan as me which is making it significantly easier. Looking forward to popping in here more often throughout 2019.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The numbers being discussed there are far, far less than the average person in this thread will be eating. That said, one thing I'd love to know is how people are getting 90g of protein a day on average. I have to put effort into getting above that.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The numbers being discussed there are far, far less than the average person in this thread will be eating. That said, one thing I'd love to know is how people are getting 90g of protein a day on average. I have to put effort into getting above that.
One can of tuna (150g) + a can of kidney beans (255g) = 57g of protein

Edit: A small portion of salmon (125g) can have around 30g of protein.

100g of poultry meat will give you around 25g of protein.

It's pretty easy to get above 90g.

Last edited: