• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Boring is good for me, I can keep up boring meals. Ive been having 0%fat quark 500gr with Some blueberries or raspberries and sometimes about 20gr of dried mango/pineapple/coconut flakes and 5gr of cacao for the past 3 months. Its a pretty filling meal and a big protein boost. Before that it was the same fruits with 0% greek yoghurt, 30gr of protein enriched oats, 5 gram of cacao left overnight in the fridge.
I'll see if I can find some good dried fruit flakes here.
Get some PB Fit peanut butter powder. Mix it into your oatmeal or cereal. Good stuff.
Made the order via amazon an hour ago.
Nope, they always suck, I get so hot, even if it's single digits outside, I wear shorts, lol!
Amen. I only wear pants on leg days. Maybe I should just get a couple of pairs of long socks instead.
Shorts are perfect for the Gym.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be interested to have a point of view from the fitness crowd here on this article...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/04/protein-mania-the-rich-worlds-new-diet-obsession

I found this toward the end. I think it might have some truth to it.

Like many other animals, humans have what biologists call a "dominant appetite" for protein. The biological drive for protein is so strong that a cricket who feels short of protein will resort to cannibalism. When a locust is short of protein, it will explore different food sources to redress the balance. Humans are neither as ruthless as crickets nor as prudent as locusts. When given access to a diet that is low on protein and heavy in carbs and fats, humans will binge, in an attempt to extract the protein they need.
If many of us overeat, it could be partly because our bodies are desperately seeking out protein in a food environment flooded with refined wheat and oils and many kinds of sugar. As Raubenheimer and Simpson wrote in their startlingly original 2012 book The Nature of Nutrition: "Dilution of protein in the diet by fat and carbohydrate drives excess consumption, perhaps more so in some individuals, life stages and populations than others." In other words, obesity may often really be hunger hiding in plain view.

Most of the rest of it seemed like utter bullshit. I got the impression the writer's idea of "healthy" is someone sitting at Starbucks all day.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's starting to get boring. I need some advice for protein-rich breakfast.

I make a pancake out of healthier ingredients

1 cup of oats
1 egg
1 cup of yogurt
a handful of berries

(blend together)

cook in coconut oil for about 3 minutes on each side, medium heat. Cover in peanut butter, cinnamon, and no sugar maple syrup. I love it. If you want less calories just cut the oil/peanut butter

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
One can of tuna (150g) + a can of kidney beans (255g) = 57g of protein

Edit: A small portion of salmon (125g) can have around 30g of protein.

100g of poultry meat will give you around 25g of protein.

It's pretty easy to get above 90g.
Most average people aren't eating 300g of chicken, or entire cans of tuna.

Most people I know (in the UK) wouldn't be breaking 50g of protein a day, and that's pushing it. If I wasn't eating protein heavy foods I'd probably naturally fall around the 50-60g range (I naturally tend to eat pasta, rice and salad).

I guess the averages are pushed up by people eating ridiculous numbers of calories though.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My daily breakfast is:
5 eggs
1 tomato
3-4 slices of bacon or ham
2 pieces sourdough toast
1 glass V8 juice
1 glass water w 1 scoop protein powder

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I often don't have breakfast but if I want a breakfast high I'm protisn I usually cook it. A few eggs + spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes (and bacon depending if you want meat or not). It's fairly quick and not only high in protein but a great way to get some veggies into your diet.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I make a pancake out of healthier ingredients

1 cup of oats
1 egg
1 cup of yogurt
a handful of berries

(blend together)

cook in coconut oil for about 3 minutes on each side, medium heat. Cover in peanut butter, cinnamon, and no sugar maple syrup. I love it. If you want less calories just cut the oil/peanut butter
Sounds delicious.
Nice! I'm addicted to it, been putting it in everything, lol! My protein is finally in the 180-200 range, I previously was getting 130-150. Plus it's delicious.
Starting today I should reach 160-180g of protein.
Most average people aren't eating 300g of chicken, or entire cans of tuna.
I'm definitely not an average eater, haha. Yesterday I ate 300g of beef and 150g of chicken(well, that was an exception. That's not my typical meal)

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell my gym is packed this morning. The new year's resolution crowd is here.

Good luck to all of them on their transformative fitness journeys, but also, please leave my gym and never come back.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell my gym is packed this morning. The new year's resolution crowd is here.

Good luck to all of them on their transformative fitness journeys, but also, please leave my gym and never come back.

Does the gym look like this yet?

giphy.gif

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm just happy people are attracted to cardio like it's the best thing to do when lifting is so much better. Keep them on those machines while I lift the weights and make real progress.

dmke

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have any apps they like to use for lifting?

I wanted to change up my routine (just finished two cycles of 5/3/1 BBB) and I am trying out an app called Volt. It basically prescribes one lone lift and three pairs of super sets. It tracks and changes your load based on the RPE you input after each set and also sets up a periodized program for you. For example, it has me on 4 weeks of hypertrophy, 4 weeks of strength capacity, and then a deload week before strength and max periods.

It looks to be aimed at athletes and/or general training, but I was able to swap out movements to make it work for a powerbuilding-type routine. I also monkey'd around and found a way to set my training for four days per week.

I got a month free trial from an ad I clicked on facebook. Not sure if I'll keep it going, but the app is slick and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy people are attracted to cardio like it's the best thing to do when lifting is so much better. Keep them on those machines while I lift the weights and make real progress.
But cardio is probably better than lifting for most people. And even then adding cardio to a weightlifting regimen does wonders. The benefits of cardio are fantastic

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It entirely depends what you're after really. That said, I know a lot of lifters that could lift more if they were a little fitter, cardio speaking.

If you're panting like a dog after upper body work then you should probably at least incorporate some HIIT. ;)

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you cant run 2.5-3 miles without feeling like you are dying then you probably add some cardio into your routine

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Fitness Era, what can you tell me about amino acids?
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein so the easiest way to get them is just eat protein or use protein powder. For example I used to take glutamine until my buddy was like uhhh it's just an amino . I was like oh yeah check your protein tub , tons of glutamine . But you may take extras of some kinds for a specific reason if you feel it will help.
Also with IF I know they use bcaa for fasted workouts but I'm not totally sold on any special supplements those are largely made out of shit

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Does anyone have any apps they like to use for lifting?

I wanted to change up my routine (just finished two cycles of 5/3/1 BBB) and I am trying out an app called Volt. It basically prescribes one lone lift and three pairs of super sets. It tracks and changes your load based on the RPE you input after each set and also sets up a periodized program for you. For example, it has me on 4 weeks of hypertrophy, 4 weeks of strength capacity, and then a deload week before strength and max periods.

It looks to be aimed at athletes and/or general training, but I was able to swap out movements to make it work for a powerbuilding-type routine. I also monkey'd around and found a way to set my training for four days per week.

I got a month free trial from an ad I clicked on facebook. Not sure if I'll keep it going, but the app is slick and I'm really enjoying it so far.
I use gymaholic. It's ok, pretty exhaustive excercise database, but I still need to add some custom stuff. It has an Apple Watch app that is pretty good, and my main reason for using it.

It has some predetermined workouts but I've never used those.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I only do cardio on my non-lifting days (5k jog), that way im doing some kind of physical activity for that day instead of sitting around. I dont do it for weight loss, if i want to lose weight i adjust my calories.

Cormano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Guys, i need some help.

I'm 6'2" and 168lbs. Just started going to gym. My core is weak as shit, a lot of excersises such as deadlifts or some free weight exercises are just tough due to my lack of core / flexibility. I cant even touch my toes without bending my knees.

Any suggestions for an absolute begginer ?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, i need some help.

I'm 6'2" and 168lbs. Just started going to gym. My core is weak as shit, a lot of excersises such as deadlifts or some free weight exercises are just tough due to my lack of core / flexibility. I cant even touch my toes without bending my knees.

I'd be interested in this as well. I realised only recently that I've been getting lower back pain due to my squat form when I pick up dumbbells off the ground. I haven't got the flexibility to keep my feet flat on the ground at the bottom and my back arches forward for a second - not enough to cause real pain, but it does cause fatigue.

I'm this close to giving up squats for good and substituting with hip thrusts and lunges.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My gym hasn't been anymore active since new year. Then again so far our average temperature for the year is 38.5 degrees so I think most people don't really want to leave their A/C let alone go to the gym.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
But cardio is probably better than lifting for most people. And even then adding cardio to a weightlifting regimen does wonders. The benefits of cardio are fantastic

Not a chance. Lifting will help build lbm or at the very least maintain it in a deficit. More LBM equals a higher metabolism and a longer more mobile life as you age. Plus, lifting can burn just as many calories during the workout and makes you burn more calories afterward as you recover. There are plenty of videos out there where people have compared the two while wearing hear rate monitors. If you want to work the heart, just shorten your rest periods. The heartrate spikes are even higher than with HIIT cardio.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a chance. Lifting will help build lbm or at the very least maintain it in a deficit. More LBM equals a higher metabolism and a longer more mobile life as you age. Plus, lifting can burn just as many calories during the workout and makes you burn more calories afterward as you recover. There are plenty of videos out there where people have compared the two while wearing hear rate monitors. If you want to work the heart, just shorten your rest periods. The heartrate spikes are even higher than with HIIT cardio.
There are plenty of articles and journals that show that Cardio was way better at burning calories then weight lifting. There's a reason why some of the fittest people in the world do both cardio and weightlifting.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I have to strongly disagree on the heart rate during the workout thing. You aint lifting weights at 90% of your max HR, and if you are... you aint doing it for long.

I assume some crossfit style lifting has you there for short bursts, but that's nothing compared to rowers / cyclists who can maintain that sort of output for hours.

The increases in basal metabolic rate that extra muscle gives you is also negligable in real terms when it comes to calorie burn. That said, I'd still choose weights over none any day of the week, just not for those reasons (the best reasons to lift weights are injury prevention and bone density).

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
There are plenty of articles and journals that show that Cardio was way better at burning calories then weight lifting. There's a reason why some of the fittest people in the world do both cardio and weightlifting.

During maybe but they are probably pretty close when you take EPOC into consideration. Either way, lifting has the benefit of adding lean body mass so it wins easily. I am not saying you shouldn't try to do both, but if you had to choose, lifting is the way. I'd suggest calisthenics over any pure cardio workout as well. Cardio comes in dead last. I was getting skinny fat from too much of it last year. I look and feel much better now.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Lol, the thumbnail is so me last year on the right vs. me now on the left. So accurate.

I have to strongly disagree on the heart rate during the workout thing. You aint lifting weights at 90% of your max HR, and if you are... you aint doing it for long.

Speak for yourself. I push each set to either failure or very close to it. Bloodshot eyes and heavy breathing are always a thing during compound movements. Lately, I've also incorporated rest pause where I only have a 15-second break and I do another set and keep doing that until I can no longer do at least 3 reps. If you're not pushing yourself, you're not being optimal.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This was my experience last year with cardio. The first pic(180 pounds) on the left was when I was doing fasted cardio in the morning and then lifting in the evening. The second pic(182.2 pounds) is after about 1.5 months of solely lifting. The last pic(183.2) was after 3 months of no more fasted cardio. My calorie deficit was equal in all 3. About 500 calories a day. I was never sure before but I wholeheartedly agree with many who say cardio kills "gains". I am now bigger and leaner than the last pic another month later. I credit the difference to muscle memory. All of the running had me steadily losing muscle along with the fat. Once I quit my body bounced back. I was leaning out some more as I regained lost muscle. My weight increased as I lost weight which made that obvious.

QuBfbrBb.jpg
Lf3BhQvb.png
rYEhuZrb.jpg

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Lol, the thumbnail is so me last year on the right vs. me now on the left. So accurate.

Speak for yourself. I push each set to either failure or very close to it. Bloodshot eyes and heavy breathing are always a thing during compound movements. Lately, I've also incorporated rest pause where I only have a 15-second break and I do another set and keep doing that until I can no longer do at least 3 reps. If you're not pushing yourself, you're not being optimal.
Agreed but there's a million variables here. Not everyone is training at med volume , med intensity etc for bodybuilding . If you're going for strength you may rest much longer. Also cardio is done by all sorts of athletes including bodybuilders. It depends on what you're going for but neglecting heart health is not ideal regardless of the benefits to lean mass. Again this is all customized for goals. If I never did cardio I would just be chubby lifting 6 days a week or not.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Agreed but there's a million variables here. Not everyone is training at med volume , med intensity etc for bodybuilding . If you're going for strength you may rest much longer. Also cardio is done by all sorts of athletes including bodybuilders. It depends on what you're going for but neglecting heart health is not ideal regardless of the benefits to lean mass. Again this is all customized for goals. If I never did cardio I would just be chubby lifting 6 days a week or not.

The only thing needed for fat loss is a calorie deficit so yeah, I guess if you're not counting calories and eating the same way you'd probably still be chubby. Neglecting heart health? How is high intensity lifting not working your heart? Also, if you're going for strength each set will be even more intense since you would have rested enough to push eash set even harder.

Again, I am not against cardio. A small amount of it can be beneficial(15-20 min after a lifting session) but it takes a back seat to lifting. I am speaking about anyone wanting to gain some mass. If you're training for an event or just want to be able to run 10 miles non-stop, knock yourself out with cardio. I personally would rather look like a sprinter than a marathon runner. Lean body mass is so so important as we age and a lot of cardio is counterintuitive to lean mass gain/retention.

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Depends on the duration of lifting. Most lifting doesn't train your aerobic system at all it's mainly anaerobic so you may be ok heart wise but you aren't training for any type of prolonged aerobic exercise. I can't recall how the heart is trained in relation to those.
I do cardio so I don't have to eat like 1500 calories a day and for heart health my resting heart rate is sub 60 and I've never run more than a couple km in my life.
Again the strength training is very short duration if you're doing a set of 5 that's like 10 - 15 seconds of work followed by like 2 minutes rest. That's not taxing the aerobic system at all.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
There are heavy and light days. Right now since it's winter my cardio are light days with very short rests. But yeah, you're right, if someone is only doing 5 reps tops, they are not taxing the aerobic system too much. I've never seen anyone train like that all the time though. Even Larry Wheels(up and coming powerlifter)does sets of 20+ all the time.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Isn't 5x5 a very popular routine I'm in this very thread? Or is it meant to be periodized? I never read it too closely as I train mainly for bodybuilding.
Also should clarify that I'm not out there running a marathon for cardio I'm either doing intervals of running/ jogging or hills like 30 minutes average say 3x week . Just a boost .

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Guys, i need some help.

If you're already doing those exercises properly (minus the heel lift ofc)
((Edit - oops i mistakenly thought you said you lifted your heels during squats but I'll leave the advice for that as it is a common beginner problem....))
then the fix is quite easy ... you do in fact need a good core but squats and deadliftswill help your core. But to help you get there do some planks and such to assist core work. Also the heels thing might be stretching you can definitely do that but it's often balance. What will really help you progress is do some squats on a bosu either no weight or dumbbells as you progress. You can also practice deads on there with dumbbells. If you can't get a bosu any balance apparatus could do there's cheaper ones like inflatable discs you can stand on or foam boards. These will help with balance , coordination and core work. After doing squats with these regular ones will be easy. Focus on pushing that weight through your heels from the floor.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Isn't 5x5 a very popular routine I'm in this very thread? Or is it meant to be periodized? I never read it too closely as I train mainly for bodybuilding.
Also should clarify that I'm not out there running a marathon for cardio I'm either doing intervals of running/ jogging or hills like 30 minutes average say 3x week . Just a boost .

Which would you give up? That is my whole argument. Cardio has its place but I would drop it all year if I had to drop one and just do a weightlifting circuit in its place. I sure wouldn't see the same people year after year looking exactly the same if they prioritized lifting instead of the treadmill. The problem is people go back to eating the same amount of calories and the heavier you are muscle wise the better that same weight will look. People can look straight up obese at my body weight and height for example.

As we age we lose muscle mass, especially when it is not being used. Add a ton of low-intensity cardio in an attempt to stay toned and you lose even more as the deficit without resistance training will cause lean body mass loss. Now that same aging person has to be even lighter to look fit. People need resistance training and the younger you start the better(to a point) because muscle memory is real. Gaining back muscle at an old age is much easier than gaining it for the first time.

Last edited:

Cormano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Texas
If you're already doing those exercises properly (minus the heel lift ofc)
((Edit - oops i mistakenly thought you said you lifted your heels during squats but I'll leave the advice for that as it is a common beginner problem....))
then the fix is quite easy ... you do in fact need a good core but squats and deadliftswill help your core. But to help you get there do some planks and such to assist core work. Also the heels thing might be stretching you can definitely do that but it's often balance. What will really help you progress is do some squats on a bosu either no weight or dumbbells as you progress. You can also practice deads on there with dumbbells. If you can't get a bosu any balance apparatus could do there's cheaper ones like inflatable discs you can stand on or foam boards. These will help with balance , coordination and core work. After doing squats with these regular ones will be easy. Focus on pushing that weight through your heels from the floor.

But what about flexibilty? Like i said i cant even touch my toes and feel like my poor rage of motion shows when i do some of these excersises.

In the mean time, i do goblet squats and deadlifts with an hex bar because i feel like my posture is way better.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
In the mean time, i do goblet squats and deadlifts with an hex bar because i feel like my posture is way better.

Slowly work on your flexibility via stretching after each workout. If you're not competing in powerlifting goblet squats and hex bar deadlifts are completely fine, why risk injury if this isn't your sport? I do hex bar deads and goblet squats exclusively as opposed to the other versions. I'm 37 with prior lower back injuries, I am not risking it anymore. I'm doing this for health and aesthetics, not to impress anyone in the gym with how strong I am.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That's what you can achieve though, not what I can achieve. Ignoring the fact that sort of training isn't optimal for strength gains (from your pics I assume you're more interested in hypertrophy anyway). You'll certainly be optimal for strength endurance, but your body needs time to replenish ATP if you're looking to maximise pure strength. That's before you get into the potential injury risks of working out at heart rate levels that leave you so drained that maintaining form starts to become an issue.

That aside, my original point stands, there's no way you can maintain the same sort of heart rates lifting as you can doing cardio. That's before you get into the fact that heart rate isn't an accurate indicator of calorie burn when weight lifting because of what happens to your heartrate during lifts (due to valsalva maneuver, adrenaline levels etc). If we want to discuss the studies comparing total calorie burn over the day due to EPOC though, that's a far more interesting topic - especially when factoring in intensity.

(Edit - I'm happy to put up heart rate traces on 1hr+ rides to compare if someone really thinks that their hardcore weight sessions are comparable on average heart rates.)

Let me be clear, I've never said that cardio is better than weight lifting. But the argument that you can burn more calories lifting than you can via cardio (during exercise) is nonsense. I've got no time for bro-science like that. Same goes with the age old "muscle burns calories" argument. You're literally talking about a max of 15kcal of calories per day per lb of extra muscle (certainly not the oft argued 50kcal)... and most people aren't carting around a 20+lbs of extra muscle vs the cardio version of themselves. I mean, maybe 150kcal per day is a big deal to some people, but in the real world you'd talking about the sort of difference you'd get from calculation / nutritional information errors in your intake there.

As I said before, there are many reasons lifting is better than cardio. That doesn't mean that we should just flat out ignore facts though. Both have their own advantages.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
We can agree to disagree, my bodybuilding workout burns more than your hour bike rides easily when you account for EPOC. I moved 165k pounds yesterday according to the app I use to track my workout. I average 3700 calorie intake per day at 185 pounds for a reason while recomping. And I am carrying 25 lbs more muscle than the average person, easily. My "ideal" weight at 5'9" is 140-160 pounds and I am 185. That accounts for an extra 375 calories per day at your 15 calories per pound. Nothing to scoff at especially per week. That is an extra meal per day or a huge cheat day at the end of the week. Here is a screenshot for December of my intake vs. expenditure.

UAoUANn.png

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That's a pretty small meal! I wouldn't argue with the extra chocolate bar per day though. ;)

Edit - Just had a bit of a search around and alas I can't find any studies directly comparing EPOC in steady state cardio vs HIIT vs resistance training. A shame, because I think it would make for interesting reading. I did find a bit on steady state vs interval training which indicated some advantages for intervals, but only where the initial calorie burn was matched (making it an unlikely tactic as it's obviously harder to do long interval training sessions).

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are pretty much made to run and for long periods of time. Cardio goes hand-in-hand with me a great fitness life.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You also have to take in account how many more calories I burn than someone of the same weight because of how much more weight I'm pushing. How much more muscle is activating. A novice lifter at 185 would require much less energy than I at the same bodyweight. When I do rest pause on bench press for example I do 265 for 10 and then wait 15 seconds and do another set of 5 over and over until I can't push at least 3 reps. It ends up being 10-15 sets and then I move to the next lift. The app I use has moderate lifting and the bodybuilding lifting the calorie expenditure difference is massive and it seems to be very accurate for me.

People are pretty much made to run and for long periods of time. Cardio goes hand-in-hand with me a great fitness life.

I do run a lot during the summer I just don't think it's smart to do it year round. Your knees can only take so much especially on pavement at a higher body weight.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's the same for me when cycling. The power output I can put out accounts for significantly more watts (watts = calories) over time than a novice rider.

The pros can burn through an astonishing amount of calories.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
But that can be measured by the machine. Weight lifting on the other hand is hard to measure in caloric output so the numbers vary way more depending on the person. Machines can give you a pretty close number depending on reaistance and speed over time.