• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty difficult to measure any sort of calorific output really. That's partly why people tend to be so bad at working out how much they can eat. Efficiencies vary wildly, and obviously what you can do at X heart rate might be very different to what I can do at X heart rate.

Thankfully if you monitor for long enough you get a general idea of how your body works. I always laugh when I see the figures given out by gym machines. It's no wonder so many people who work out regularly are so fat.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
But what about flexibilty? Like i said i cant even touch my toes and feel like my poor rage of motion shows when i do some of these excersises.

In the mean time, i do goblet squats and deadlifts with an hex bar because i feel like my posture is way better.
Just good old fashioned stretching as mentioned or better yet start yoga it's become massively popular among all types of athletes . I would do it if I had time and will be doing when my daughter is a bit older

DrAg0nBoY

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys I have question for all of you who listen to music while working out. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have any spotify playlists or any other favorites?

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys I have question for all of you who listen to music while working out. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have any spotify playlists or any other favorites?
Usually the predictable rock stuff (Guns n Roses, Metallica, etc). But I'd strongly endorse the Mad Max Fury Road sound track.

For my conditioning work I use stuff like the soundtracks to the Bond or Bourne movies. Up-tempo but also pretty forgettable.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Goal: 130lbs~?
  • Current Training Schedule: Alternate between Situps, Chinups, Ab Wheel, Bike, Walking, Bicep Curls (15lbs dumbbells), Bench Press ( 15lbs dumbbells).
  • Current Training Equipment Available: dumbbells, bike, flat bench, pull up bar, ab wheel, yoga mat, and access to the local gym.
  • Comments: See below
Hey fitEra, how's it going.

So I've read through the OP and there's a lot of good stuff. I think at this point I'm just unsure of what I should follow..

Rather than trying to describe what I'm after I'll just show you guys pictures and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Right along with what regime to follow, I think I'll need a good diet plan as well so any advice would be appreciated!

Here's me atm:

fu87KiS.jpg

..and this is more or less where I want to be:

x97zIfo.png

Would following the 'Full Body Workout" in the OP be enough to get to this point?

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I'm not seeing any difference between the pics except some situps, a few days of strict dieting and dehydration, and some time in the tanning bed.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Would following the 'Full Body Workout" in the OP be enough to get to this point?

Thanks!

Yes. I'd say that guy is about the same weight too, to achieve that goal you would just need to lose a bit of fat and gain a little muscle. Eat at maintenance and lift hard. Honestly it looks like you could just do some calisthenic to look like that. Pullups, push-ups. That's it. Maybe add short jogs and plyos for legs.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yes. I'd say that guy is about the same weight too, to achieve that goal you would just need to lose a bit of fat and gain a little muscle. Eat at maintenance and lift hard. Honestly it looks like you could just do some calisthenic to look like that. Pullups, push-ups. That's it. Maybe add short jogs and plyos for legs.
Yeah agreed I would still do the workout you mentioned and shoot a bit higher like the 145-150 Mark. Why not ? It's not like it's hard to fix if you get "too big" . I'm thinking something like David Beckham or maybe Tom cruise ? But that's going by memory I'm assuming they're about 150.
Just do your workouts to be a better you and enjoy the results.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
so when I go to squat my upper back/shoulders are so tight I can't get the right grip on a low bar squat. As I warm up and start to put some weight on the bar I get some movement and slowly can move my hands hand closer on the bar and reach a point where I can keep my elbows up(ish) and have my upper back tight holding the bar in place. (But still not ideal)
Being so tight, getting to the point of being able to have the right grip and bar placement is borderline painful.
Just wondering if anyone's got some specific stretching tis or something so I don't have to go through such a process every workout?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What I made: low low fat quark(250g) with oat flakes, cereals, crushed almonds, blueberries and peanut butter powder.

That mixture is similar to that filler stuff you use to fill a hole in the wall.

Smells like Snickers™, tastes okay and gets the job done. 37g of protein per bowl. Nice.

That salad line killed me.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
First session back after three weeks of Christmas & New Year hedonism, thought I was going to fold like a lawn chair jumping straight back into 1 Squat day from 5/3/1 but banged out 3 reps of 107.5kg. Feeling it today...

Not music per se but podcasts, lots and lots of podcasts.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
What I made: low low fat quark(250g) with oat flakes, cereals, crushed almonds, blueberries and peanut butter powder.

That mixture is similar to that filler stuff you use to fill a hole in the wall.

Smells like Snickers™, tastes okay and gets the job done. 37g of protein per bowl. Nice.

Yeah, adding powder to dairy like quark or greek yoghurt makes a nice thick morter.

Ive been having some weird pains around the middel of my back, and I was wondering if any of you guys recognize this.

Last year I had to dive into a dumpster (don't ask) and put too much pressure on my lowest right side rib. I think I sprained it and had to take it easy for a week or three.
The last time I did pull-ups, the first set went fine, but in the second it felt like a tendon or muscle sliding over something else around that area. It didnt really hurt but I felt incredible sore afterwards. Now I can't really do a pull-up without feeling it. That is the only excercise I feel it in, and it doesn't hurt and I don't feel it during the day. I know the answer is take same rest from pull-ups but It just seems like a weird injury to me.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Do me a favour phonicjoy ... try hanging leg raises and tell me if it gives you the same feeling. I've been struggling with a similar sort of thing for a few months now.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi FitEra,

I'm looking to get back into shape a bit (i.e. not dying after going up 2 flights of stairs) by doing some cardio at home but I don't know where to start and how to progress.
Here's me atm:

• Height: 170cm
  • Weight: about 125kg
  • Goal: being able to walk for 5 days without feeling sore as hell
  • Current Training Schedule: none
  • Current Training Equipment Available: none
  • Comments:
My problem is basically that I can't quite run, since I'm too heavy and it would destroy my knees. I've been looking for a VERY easy workout to slowly get back into shape until I'm able to do regular sports without hurting myself. I don't care about getting bulky or how much weight I'm losing, if I'm doing this it's because I love to travel but visiting other cities is exhausting to me since I'm basically walking the whole day for 2 to 7 days in a row.
I've looked on google for some beginner friendly cardio workouts, but apparently in this case beginner means always being extremely healthy already and having no trouble doing burpees that would destroy my joints, so I'm kinda at a loss of what to do.

Simply walking isn't an option either, since I'm already walking for more than 3km almost every day.

Thanks a lot for any input !

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
If anyone remembers I posted here a month or two back about how I ran 2km.

Just finished 4.5km 2 weeks ago. I wasn't planning to run that far but my body just wouldn't stop. I'd set a goal for myself like say "Okay another 200 metres and I'm done". I'd do another 200 and keep on running.

I never thought I'd be able to run that far.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Hi FitEra,

I'm looking to get back into shape a bit (i.e. not dying after going up 2 flights of stairs) by doing some cardio at home but I don't know where to start and how to progress.
Here's me atm:

• Comments:
My problem is basically that I can't quite run, since I'm too heavy and it would destroy my knees. I've been looking for a VERY easy workout to slowly get back into shape until I'm able to do regular sports without hurting myself. I don't care about getting bulky or how much weight I'm losing, if I'm doing this it's because I love to travel but visiting other cities is exhausting to me since I'm basically walking the whole day for 2 to 7 days in a row.
I've looked on google for some beginner friendly cardio workouts, but apparently in this case beginner means always being extremely healthy already and having no trouble doing burpees that would destroy my joints, so I'm kinda at a loss of what to do.

Simply walking isn't an option either, since I'm already walking for more than 3km almost every day.

If you're purely looking for cardio, I'd suggest swimming if you have a public pool nearby. If you really want to do something at home, maybe go for something like this? You say you're already walking, but what do you have against adding a few km? Its the easiest option by far.

Honestly I was in a similar situation, and I went for weightloss first. That opens up a whole lot of options.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to a lot hip hop and jazz. I know people recommend high tempo, energetic but I just on the playlist of my fav songs or albums.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I'm not seeing any difference between the pics except some situps, a few days of strict dieting and dehydration, and some time in the tanning bed.

I get it, I'm a pasty-white mess. :p I appreciate the comment though, make me feel like I'm not far off from my goal!

'Eat at maintenance and lift hard' - Can you go a little more into detail about this? How 'hard' should I be lifting and what type of diet should I be running alongside the regime?

Yeah agreed I would still do the workout you mentioned and shoot a bit higher like the 145-150 Mark. Why not ? It's not like it's hard to fix if you get "too big" . I'm thinking something like David Beckham or maybe Tom cruise ? But that's going by memory I'm assuming they're about 150.
Just do your workouts to be a better you and enjoy the results.

I'm pretty short so the wider I get the more awkward I'm going to look. I'm also a climber so I have to watch my weight/muscle ratio.. Maybe I can stand to gain a few more pounds though. Thanks for the advice!

One question I have about the Fully Body Workout in the OP.. is that really enough? It's 3 days a week, and only a couple of different exercises per workout. Why does it feel like that's not really a lot? Am I missing something? Should all the workouts be done while carrying some kind of weight? I've never been to a real gym or had any kind of real routine/advice given so maybe I'm just really out of the loop here.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you're purely looking for cardio, I'd suggest swimming if you have a public pool nearby. If you really want to do something at home, maybe go for something like this? You say you're already walking, but what do you have against adding a few km? Its the easiest option by far.

Honestly I was in a similar situation, and I went for weightloss first. That opens up a whole lot of options.
I barely have 4 hours at home per day, if I get out to walk some more I won't have time at all for chores, making diner and getting some leisure time. I'd rather I takes more time for me to get back in shape by doing some workouts at home that might not be as effective than go out for another hour to walk.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I barely have 4 hours at home per day, if I get out to walk some more I won't have time at all for chores, making diner and getting some leisure time. I'd rather I takes more time for me to get back in shape by doing some workouts at home that might not be as effective than go out for another hour to walk.

Doesn't have to be an hour though. a higher pace for 20 min could give you some good results. Conditioning is about time, the general advice I see is 70% HRmax for at least 20 min.

But, whn I was 10kg heavier than you are (I am 1.88m) I started with losing weight. I noticed increased energy after I lost about 10kg. But yeah, otherwise some aerobics like excercises. I hope you can get were you want to be! :)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
One question I have about the Fully Body Workout in the OP.. is that really enough? It's 3 days a week, and only a couple of different exercises per workout. Why does it feel like that's not really a lot? Am I missing something? Should all the workouts be done while carrying some kind of weight? I've never been to a real gym or had any kind of real routine/advice given so maybe I'm just really out of the loop here.

Yes, they're not bodyweight exercises.

...and trust me, 3 days a week can feel like plenty when you're lifting heavy. Nothing stopping you doing some light cardio / bodyweight exercises on the other days.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't have to be an hour though. a higher pace for 20 min could give you some good results. Conditioning is about time, the general advice I see is 70% HRmax for at least 20 min.

But, whn I was 10kg heavier than you are (I am 1.88m) I started with losing weight. I noticed increased energy after I lost about 10kg. But yeah, otherwise some aerobics like excercises. I hope you can get were you want to be! :)
I might buy some weights too, as I've seen that having more muscles makes you passively use more energy through the day. Did I get this right ?

Oct 25, 2017
I

For point of comparison, on the program I'm using now, I do 3 exercises, 3 times a week. So I do deadlift, back squat, and overhead press every workout, Saturday Monday and Wednesday. Consistency and focus on the right things will do a lot more for you than variety.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
'Eat at maintenance and lift hard' - Can you go a little more into detail about this? How 'hard' should I be lifting and what type of diet should I be running?
Just eat exactly the way you're eating now. Maybe have an extra small protein shake bto make up for the extra calories you may burn. As for lifting, go as hard as you can. If you're not pushing yourself, your body won't adapt. You don't get big by accident if that's what you think. Just monitor your progress via the mirror. As far as looking awkward, I really doubt anyone would call a muscular body awkward. Hell, I'm only an inch taller and noone calls my look awkward and it takes a lot of work to reach your genetic limit.

Edit: not sure why it won't let me take away the quote I accidentally saved. This post looks weird now.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Hi FitEra,

Here's me atm:

• Comments:

1. Figure out your calorie needs to maintain your weight. Many calorie counting sites will give you a pretty close estimate. Now just eat below it by about 500 calories. More if you want but I wouldn't deprive yourself too much as it can lead to falling off the wagon. This is the number one way to lose fat, a simple calorie deficit. It is much easier to avoid ingesting the energy than it is to burn it off.

2. Bodyweight exercises like pushups and squats will do more for you than cardio. You're primed to enable muscle gain as you lose fat which will benefit you greatly in the long term as it will stave off too much fat regain. Just be more active in general. Stand more, park the car further from the market entrance, take the stairs, do a random set of pushups, anything.

3. Have patience.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I get it, I'm a pasty-white mess. :p I appreciate the comment though, make me feel like I'm not far off from my goal!

'Eat at maintenance and lift hard' - Can you go a little more into detail about this? How 'hard' should I be lifting and what type of diet should I be running alongside the regime?

I'm pretty short so the wider I get the more awkward I'm going to look. I'm also a climber so I have to watch my weight/muscle ratio.. Maybe I can stand to gain a few more pounds though. Thanks for the advice!

If you're serious about a sport then rule 1 is find out what serious climbers do .... so if my suggestion to go up to 145 doesn't gel with that always defer to the pros. However gaining like 10 lbs of muscle won't make you a lot wider... think just a bit thicker everywhere .... I think from watching America ninja warrior 5ft 6 140 is still doable for performance climbing ?
Surely there are climbing workout routines out there for the community of climbers?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Noob question: If I start a stationary cycling routine (~30 mins), should I only do it every other day or is it safe to do everyday? I'm starting from nothing. For running, people recommend taking rest days but that's way more taxing on your legs, especially knees.

Thanks!

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Noob question: If I start a stationary cycling routine (~30 mins), should I only do it every other day or is it safe to do everyday? I'm starting from nothing. For running, people recommend taking rest days but that's way more taxing on your legs, especially knees.

Thanks!

No rest. That is a very easy exercise on the body. I used to do it for my whole shift at work. Never had any issues.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any people here heavily in calisthenics? I want to focus more on it but confused on routines, ideal form and rep count? I've read when doing calisthenics you shouldn't go to failure? There's so much to take in and confused about whats right or wrong. Example: First I've always heard when doing back exervises such as pull ups or rows you should get a good stretch at the bottom, but now I'm reading a lot of physio PT stuff saying you shouldn't disengage your shoulders at the bottom as that causes internal rotation and is not healthy.. yet I see so many youtubers doing a pullup where they full relax at the bottom.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sooo.. I did and yeah, same feeling. Less than with pull-ups but yeah, same feeling of something sprained. Dammit.
Hopefully you'll heal faster than I have.

I seem to keep screwing it up when I move around in my sleep.

Example: First I've always heard when doing back exervises such as pull ups or rows you should get a good stretch at the bottom, but now I'm reading a lot of physio PT stuff saying you shouldn't disengage your shoulders at the bottom as that causes internal rotation and is not healthy.. yet I see so many youtubers doing a pullup where they full relax at the bottom.
They fully relax, but they always make sure to re-engage. The reason you generally shouldn't disengage is if you're just pulling from the bottom rather than properly getting everything ready. These guys are pretty much the gold standard for what you're looking for:

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Broken rib. It healed, then I got sick and it got fucked up in some way. Really not sure what's happened to it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
My opinion on pull-ups is if you're not doing them for some competition that requires a dead hang, I'd keep engaged and keep the tension on the muscle instead of the joint. I'm not saying you shouldn't go through the whole movement but not sure why you'd need to relax at the bottom. Constant tension is important for muscle growth in my opinion.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
As I've gotten bigger, I've noticed my traps are a bit underdeveloped. What are some awesome exercises for them?