• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I guess I'll do shrugs since deadlifts are out of the question ever since I hurt my back. Even light weights eventually cause some pain. God I miss it. Do you recommend dumbbell or barbell?

Dumbbells if you have access to heavy ones. I don't like the way barbells catch my junk.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So long story short, recently got back into working out after I was out of the country and had studying/work take up a lot of time last year. It's been good so far.

Only problem is I feel really tired about an hour after working out. Like I just don't want to do anything lol. Any tips? Is my body just getting use to lifting, or should I decrease the intensity of my workout?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
So long story short, recently got back into working out after I was out of the country and had studying/work take up a lot of time last year. It's been good so far.

Only problem is I feel really tired about an hour after working out. Like I just don't want to do anything lol. Any tips? Is my body just getting use to lifting, or should I decrease the intensity of my workout?
What are you doing with regard to post workout nutrition?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Are you low carb, because realistically that's when you should be taking advantage of the body's insulin response to help build muscle.

An omelette is great in terms of protein, but realistically you'll want some carbs too to help recovery. You might very well be ending up with a bit of a low blood sugar issue.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Ive only been training for about 1,5 years, but the things I saw at the gym today made my skin crawl. Mostly young people lifting extremely heavy and without any sort of form and looking very pleased with themselves . I dont feel like its my place to say anything but I would have expected the attendants at my gym to help Those guys out. I just hope they give up soon, because someone is going to get hurt.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are you low carb, because realistically that's when you should be taking advantage of the body's insulin response to help build muscle.

An omelette is great in terms of protein, but realistically you'll want some carbs too to help recovery. You might very well be ending up with a bit of a low blood sugar issue.

Will try adding some carbs tmw, thanks for the replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ive only been training for about 1,5 years, but the things I saw at the gym today made my skin crawl. Mostly young people lifting extremely heavy and without any sort of form and looking very pleased with themselves . I dont feel like its my place to say anything but I would have expected the attendants at my gym to help Those guys out. I just hope they give up soon, because someone is going to get hurt.

There are tons of youtube channels dedicated to gym fails like you describe, and people just being super dumb and weird with machines, the gym employees dont care as long as they arent breaking the equipment.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
There are tons of youtube channels dedicated to gym fails like you describe, and people just being super dumb and weird with machines, the gym employees dont care as long as they arent breaking the equipment.

I know, its just that mine is a "high end" (not that expensive mind you) gym that promotes the fact that you get actual guidance for your workouts. And Some of the staff are really helpfull, just not proactive.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cool. I'll be in SF in April for a holiday and I was wondering how easy it might be to find a pay as you go gym. Only 5 days but I want to get back into being pretty regimented.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone here have an Apple Watch? How accurate are the calories burned. A friend and I took a boxing class today which was pretty great and intense and the watch said he burned 1000 calories that hour. I don't believe that. Yeah he's heavier than me and therefore burns more, but 1000? I don't know how much more I should eat now since I have no idea how much I burned.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone here have an Apple Watch? How accurate are the calories burned. A friend and I took a boxing class today which was pretty great and intense and the watch said he burned 1000 calories that hour. I don't believe that. Yeah he's heavier than me and therefore burns more, but 1000? I don't know how much more I should eat now since I have no idea how much I burned.

That's probably not right.

Research done by Stanford University has shown that the energy expenditure calculations from wearable devices tend to be way off.

A class, like cardio boxing, that makes the accelerometer in the Apple watch go crazy tends really make off, anecdotally.

According to the Houston chronicle, a 185 lbs. person will normally burn around 400 kcals from a cardio boxing class.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
But that same article says "For example, in an interview with "Men's Fitness," Joe Andreula, the owner of a kickboxing studio, says some people can burn between 800 and 1,200 calories in an hour of cardio kickboxing." It would depend on intensity. An actual boxing match, for example, burns a ridiculous amount. On calorielab dot com it shows about 1k for a 185-pound male. My guess is that a class is a lot less intense than an actual match though.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
But that same article says "For example, in an interview with "Men's Fitness," Joe Andreula, the owner of a kickboxing studio, says some people can burn between 800 and 1,200 calories in an hour of cardio kickboxing." It would depend on intensity. An actual boxing match, for example, burns a ridiculous amount. On calorielab dot com it shows about 1k for a 185-pound male. My guess is that a class is a lot less intense than an actual match though.

Yeah, it would depend on the class. I've never taken a cardio sparring class where it's felt like that level of exertion, but every class is different.

Sparring (which is similar enough to a cardio boxing class depending on the intensity of the class) has a METs of around 8.2 on average from my search.

You could use this estimator from Cornell, Astrall, to take a guess at how many calories you could have burned. It's still off because it's a very simple algorithm.

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/MetsCaloriesCalculator/MetsCaloriesCalculator.htm.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, it would depend on the class. I've never taken a cardio sparring class where it's felt like that level of exertion, but every class is different.

Sparring (which is similar enough to a cardio boxing class depending on the intensity of the class) has a METs of around 8.2 on average from my search.

You could use this estimator from Cornell, Astrall, to take a guess at how many calories you could have burned. It's still off because it's a very simple algorithm.

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/MetsCaloriesCalculator/MetsCaloriesCalculator.htm.

Dude, that's sweet, easier than using calorie lab. Thanks for the link. I use a recumbent bike at work. Gonna guess METS of 3. It's nice cutting/recomping on 3500 calories or more.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty cool. It's actually the first I even hear of METs. I googled it and the chart in this article that shows the METs for various exercises seems useful.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/clc.4960130809

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't put too much stock into calorie burn estimates from someone who runs a fitness kickboxing studio. They have every incentive to exaggerate the figures to attract customers.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There's almost nothing that can burn 1,000kcal an hour. Maybe olympic level cross country skiing or rowing?

Keep in mind that very few people are capable of putting out that kind of exertion without rest over the period of an hour.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There's almost nothing that can burn 1,000kcal an hour. Maybe olympic level cross country skiing or rowing?

Keep in mind that very few people are capable of putting out that kind of exertion without rest over the period of an hour.

Well, according to that Cornell calculator above, the jog I did last night would have been 900 calories an hour (I did 45 minutes, called it short because of back pain). I used a METS of 8 for the calculation (they use 6.7 mph for an 11, I was doing about a 10 minute mile, so ... just a guess but an 8 seems a touch conservative to me). And I still consider myself out of shape for LSS.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
For burn like that you'd have to carrying a ton of muscle or be a crazy fit fat guy. Just doesn't seem that likely.

Edit - I guess you could just be huge generally? By my calcs that would be 240-250lbs.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm 250-ish (at 5'9) so my numbers will be very unusual for calories burned. My point was more that I'm nowhere near elite for conditioning work.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, to be honest I'm not used to doing calcs for humans that big. lol

I'd actually like to look at the research to see how they've validated their numbers.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Getting a lot of compliments in person the last week. Gym manager and other staff including some girls saying I'm making them all look bad and that they need to cancel my membership lol. Another smaller fit guy said I was at his end goal. Feels good man. All the hard work since last April is paying off. It's worth it guys, keep plugging away!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ha... the best I get is "Are you sick? You look like you've got some sort of terminal illness."

One day I'll give up on the mountain biking and go full beefcake just for the fuck of it. Of course, I'll probably need testosterone by that point!

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Well, the sooner the better. I was watching a video on muscle memory and the younger you put the muscle on the faster you regain it in your older years. I know for sure that I would not have the dramatic progress I've had since April of last year if it were not for me getting pretty big in my early 20's.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oh I'm plenty strong (I lift specifically for that purpose), I just don't have any meaningful size.

My problem is that sub say, 14% body fat my face loses all its padding... and I look like Skeletor.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, I'm talking about actual size. It's what you need for muscle memory to factor in. I still have full cheeks and I think I am about 12-13% but not sure. They get huge when I get above 20% lol.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how much fresher I feel during week two of being back at the gym compared to week one. Whoda thunk it.

Also dropping my training max a little bit helps.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This other forum I visit is full of older people who are set in their way about carbs. I post a pic of my meal like they all do but instead of a full plate of bacon and cheese, it's a cheeseburger on a bun. They all begin to say omg this is no fair, I'd gain 5 pounds with one bite or I gained a pound just looking at that. They are so stuck in their outdated mindsets and it's frustrating because they won't listen to me, they say I'm special blah blah blah. They say any science I post is paid for by big sugar, lol! My mutant power is not getting fat from carbs, apparently. My spurs are just off screen in my profile pic too...

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
This other forum I visit is full of older people who are set in their way about carbs. I post a pic of my meal like they all do but instead of a full plate of bacon and cheese, it's a cheeseburger on a bun. They all begin to say omg this is no fair, I'd gain 5 pounds with one bite or I gained a pound just looking at that. They are so stuck in their outdated mindsets and it's frustrating because they won't listen to me, they say I'm special blah blah blah. They say any science I post is paid for by big sugar, lol! My mutant power is not getting fat from carbs, apparently. My spurs are just off screen in my profile pic too...
This article (or rather the studies referenced in it) might be of some use. I have no doubt that these ladies and gentlemen may gain weight eating more carbs, but that's because carbs are tasty and easy to overeat leading to an increase in calorie intake. This may be particularly problematic for older people as our metabolism naturally slows with age. When matched for calories there is no difference in low vs. high carb diets.

https://www.dietvsdisease.org/do-carbs-make-you-fat/

You say that these people accuse the science you post of being paid for by "big sugar". Show them the study in the article carried out by Gary Taubes' own NuSI organization, which in fact showed no change in weight loss between low- and high carb diets. That's a study from an organization spearheaded by Mr. Sugar and Carbs are the Devil himself, Mr. Big Sugar is pulling all the strings. Maybe that'll change some minds?

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Funnily enough, I had a pizza earlier and felt ravenous afterwards. Later I had a bunch of chicken / salad and felt stuffed.

It's no wonder there are some seriously fat fuckers out there. Some foods just don't fill you up at all.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah even though I'm enjoying the new challenge of intermittent fasting deep down I believe 90 percent of it is just eating less than before lol.
However I will say I am pretty sold on the aspect of you don't need to constantly feed your body like the eating every 2 hours or whatever that was ingrained in us all. I feel no worse whatsoever when fasting other than being hungry lol

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, Ragnar, I've shared that as well. For some people, diets are like religion. I do enjoy IF when my calories need to be lower due to less activity but I like getting at least 3 protein feedings a day to have optimal protein synthesis throughout the day when I hit the gym which is most days.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Need to track food. I forgot how much I need since I went off and started eating junk during holiday lol. Haven't planned s workout routine. Feel like I go to the gym with no clear goal in mind

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm not any stronger than I was during my last bulk. Some of my lifts have increased but I don't really feel it. I have no idea how much I can really bench since I've been doing volume for the past couple of months. I'll go back to strength in February. Dumbbell curls are steadily going up but curls with the curl bar are basically the same. My overhead press is the worst. It's easily my weakest area and as far as I can tell there's little improvement. I've been doing volume on that too so I guess I'll see where I'm at at the end of the month. I also feel too fat too early on my bulk. In 8 months I've gained 15 pounds from 150 but I wanna do so much more. My last bulk ended when I was around 174 and I was hoping to go past that. Now I'm not sure.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I just wanted to thank you guys. Seeing your kcal intake and training schedules has pushed me to eat more (keeping my macros in check of course), and I've started shocking my body more with heavier weights, and basically draining the fucker at every workout. Feels good and I'm growing like a madman. I was eating way too little, and just maintaining my physique. Really makes me appreciate my body more.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Hell yeah, feed that muscle. I'm in a facebook group where a girl put up before and after photos. She was only eating 1600 and is now eating 2600. She looks a lot better. She went from skinny-fat to toned at the same weight. I really think people dip too low on calories in an effort to speed up the process and do more harm than good or they are at least not being optimal. Do you want to look like a smaller version of yourself or a more refined version?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm not any stronger than I was during my last bulk. Some of my lifts have increased but I don't really feel it. I have no idea how much I can really bench since I've been doing volume for the past couple of months. I'll go back to strength in February. Dumbbell curls are steadily going up but curls with the curl bar are basically the same. My overhead press is the worst. It's easily my weakest area and as far as I can tell there's little improvement. I've been doing volume on that too so I guess I'll see where I'm at at the end of the month. I also feel too fat too early on my bulk. In 8 months I've gained 15 pounds from 150 but I wanna do so much more. My last bulk ended when I was around 174 and I was hoping to go past that. Now I'm not sure.

I plateaued for a year then switched to Johnny Candito's intermediate program and have been making consistent 5-10lb gains on my squat and deadlift every 5-6 weeks, my OHP went from 145 to 165 in a year (Despite weighing the same). Bench admittedly hasn't moved much but that was my strongest lift.

It's a 5-6 week program and it incorporates both high volume/high reps and low volume/heavy sets, doubling down on the main lift with the option to some accessory work. So you won't be going months without lifting heavy.