• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of programs and food, figured I'd post what I've been doing. I don't want to post specifics because it is something you buy (it's a cheap book, not personal trainer-style).

This week I did the following workout Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday:
Deadlift 405 3x5
Squat 355 4x5
OH Press 185 5x5 (standing, strict form)
DL and Squat both completely raw, no belt or wraps

Did the following conditioning work:
Saturday: hit the heavy bag for high-intensity sessions right after lifting
Sunday: a half-hour burpee workout in the morning, burpee-and-sprints workout in the afternoon
Tuesday: 45 minute jog
Thursday: repeat of the burpee workout from Sunday

Next week, the weights go up and the conditioning stays the same. Today is supposed to be a day off, but I'm actually working the sideline of a soccer game so there will be a little running. Nothing like an actual workout, though.

Food-wise, I've been eating about 3000-3500 cals a day. Haven't had any soda at all or any sweets to speak of since July. I will do one cheat meal a week, usually pizza or fried chicken. I've been thinking I should go to every other week, though.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Bro splits can work. Any workout will work out as a noob. I'm sure Candito's program will be a lot more efficient. I try to hit everything at least twice a week. Usually, I do all muscle groups 3 times a week.

^Burpees and no sweets, oh my! I couldn't do it. Sweets every day or bust haha!

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
After only 3 months I totally lost any interest for sweets. Doesn't help that I accumulated lots of them during Christmas (given out by some relatives) and they are sitting here like "Eat me!", and I don't even want to. No clue what to do with them.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I plateaued for a year then switched to Johnny Candito's intermediate program and have been making consistent 5-10lb gains on my squat and deadlift every 5-6 weeks, my OHP went from 145 to 165 in a year (Despite weighing the same). Bench admittedly hasn't moved much but that was my strongest lift.

It's a 5-6 week program and it incorporates both high volume/high reps and low volume/heavy sets, doubling down on the main lift with the option to some accessory work. So you won't be going months without lifting heavy.

I'll check this out, thanks. I just remembered my friend once recommended PHAT too. I think I definitely need to find a program at this point. I'll finish what I'm doing this month and then look into it. My only problem is that I simply cannot deadlift and squat because of a back injury. Even light weights eventually hurt. The movement itself hurts me. It sucks. Leg day has been boring as hell ever since.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So this is what I think I'm gonna do starting next week or the week after. I made some modifications based on shit that would be basically impossible at the gym or too much for my back. Not sure about weight. I guess I'll have to play around with that.

Day 1: Upper Body Power Day

◦ Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary Pulling movement: Lat pulldown

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Pressing Power Movement: Flat barbell presses

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 2: Lower Body Power Day

◦ Pressing Power Movement: Lunges

◦ 3 sets of 3-5 reps

◦ Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Assistance pulling movement: Rack pulls

◦ 3 sets of 5-8 reps

◦ Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise

◦ 3 sets of 6-10 reps

◦ Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise

◦ 2 sets of 6-10 reps

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy Day

◦ Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows

◦ 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Wide grip lat pulldowns

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Face pulls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells

◦ 3 sets of 12-20 reps

Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

◦ Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Lunges

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions

◦ 3 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack pulls

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy calf movement: Standing calf raises

◦ 4 sets of 10-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises

◦ 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy Day

◦ Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat barbell presses

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline barbell presses

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press

◦ 3 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy fly movement: Incline dumbbell flyes

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Cambered bar preacher curls

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated tricep extension with cambered bar

◦ 3 sets of 8-12 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment

◦ 2 sets of 12-15 reps

◦ Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable kickbacks

◦ 2 sets of 15-20 reps

Day 7: Rest

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like a million bucks at the gym yesterday. Heavy lifts felt light. High rep sets just felt fun.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
hum. may need to cook the frozen chicken breast and add it to the meal prep.

now if i can magically think it out of the freezer while im at work xD

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I got a new squat PR today despite being on a deficit for the last 2 weeks, i'm super hyped because i was just hoping not to maintain my previous best.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1. Did deadlift instead of squats.
Worked up to 3x2 at 385#.
Hit everything I was suppose to do.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
4 pm and then 9 pm. Hit full body nearly every day. I should probably incorporate some planned rest days...

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
6.30am Mon-Fri then 8am on Sunday. After work in the week is hell with too many people, rude people and people that don't know what they're doing. There's quite a nice regular crowd in the mornings now. The time of the year obviously doesn't help but yeah evenings in the week and around lunchtime at weekends aren't worth going really.

If I still have energy after work I'd rather go for a run outside.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Man, I went to the gym at 6 pm....It was a madhouse, soooo many people, crowded af. I'm so glad my normal time is 9 pm, it's so much quieter.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing in the world I hate is waiting for equipment to open up.
or when you sit next to the equipment waiting to use it but some dude walks up and takes it.

also once Daylight saving time roll around again im okay with going a bit later. i just don't like driving at night. mainly because it sometimes rain and well... lol

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I failed my PR squat! It felt incredibly heavy the second I unracked it. I hit 95% of that weight for 3 reps the week before so I think I just wasn't there mentally/got psyched out when I unracked it etc. Basically, I have lots of excuses. I'll try again before I deload though.

It is funny how I really can't tell how a specific session is going to go. Sometimes I'll walk in there feeling weak and tired and do great, other times I'll feel ready to go and have no power. Oh well.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Has anyone tried citrulline malate? I just ordered some and will be taking it for the first time in my 18 year lifting career. Wonder if I'll notice anything, I currently only take creatine.

Btw, yesterday I tried leg presses a little differently, I placed my hands behind my head to open up the rib cage as suggested in a youtube video I viewed yesterday, it seemed to allow me to go deeper without my legs digging into my body. My legs are super sore now.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
or when you sit next to the equipment waiting to use it but some dude walks up and takes it.

also once Daylight saving time roll around again im okay with going a bit later. i just don't like driving at night. mainly because it sometimes rain and well... lol

going to add a third and mention when you just get on a machine and someone taps you and ask how long you're going to be or if you're almost finished it's just "mate, you have to have watched me just get on this machine"

Oct 25, 2017
I failed my PR squat! It felt incredibly heavy the second I unracked it. I hit 95% of that weight for 3 reps the week before so I think I just wasn't there mentally/got psyched out when I unracked it etc. Basically, I have lots of excuses. I'll try again before I deload though.

It is funny how I really can't tell how a specific session is going to go. Sometimes I'll walk in there feeling weak and tired and do great, other times I'll feel ready to go and have no power. Oh well.

One thing I like to do for squatting heavy is to do a walk-out set. You do your warm-ups and then put maybe an extra 45 on each side above the heaviest set you'll do that day. But you just unrack it and hold it for a bit (I do 15 seconds) and rack it again. It helps me a lot if that first real/heavy set feels light when I first step back with it. I find that doing this helps get my upper back warmed up, too.

Apologies if you're already doing this. Just a thought.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That's interesting... and yeah, I imagine it would help with that awful feeling of "how the fuck am I going to squat this" you sometimes get when you walk out with your heaviest set on your back.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
One thing I like to do for squatting heavy is to do a walk-out set. You do your warm-ups and then put maybe an extra 45 on each side above the heaviest set you'll do that day. But you just unrack it and hold it for a bit (I do 15 seconds) and rack it again. It helps me a lot if that first real/heavy set feels light when I first step back with it. I find that doing this helps get my upper back warmed up, too.

That's really not a bad idea, especially considering how easy my down sets after the heaviest set feel. Just telling your body "Hey, it could be worse..."

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Back onto the weights after recovering from a cold. It felt good, but I'm a little more sore afterwards than I expected.

Today was the first day I tried substituting the deadlift with hip thrusts and Bulgarian split squats. Still playing with the height of the back leg on the split squat, but it really works the legs.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
still having issues with bench. my setup isn't where it needs to be so that means im just using extra energy that's not needed for an efficient bench.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Kept my nutrition on lock down for the past 14 days and finally broke down and had some McDonald's with my kids last night.

Time to reset the clock

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm not as hardcore as some people in here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm looking to lose some fat in the love handles region, any specific exercises I should consider? I don't go to the gym or own any equipment but I've lost about 50 pounds since the end of July by walking 7-8 miles a day and being careful what I eat. I'm down to a 30" waist but it's my sides that are annoying me now. I'm not expecting instant results or anything but just something to help with that problem area.

Thank you all so much!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Short of putting on a bit of muscle in other areas to make it look smaller, there's nothing you can do. Where on your body you lose fat first is all down to genetics.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm not as hardcore as some people in here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm looking to lose some fat in the love handles region, any specific exercises I should consider? I don't go to the gym or own any equipment but I've lost about 50 pounds since the end of July by walking 7-8 miles a day and being careful what I eat. I'm down to a 30" waist but it's my sides that are annoying me now. I'm not expecting instant results or anything but just something to help with that problem area.

Thank you all so much!

Unfortunately you can't target body fat.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So my back pain isn't as severe as it was a year ago and I'm doing yoga and losing weight. But should I still try and demand an MRI?. Went to the doctor today and was told I'm fine and my Xrays were normal. But I've read here I should just lie and try to force getting an MRI. I'm about to be out of state for months starting next week so I won't be with insurance.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Kinda figured but wasn't sure if there might be something useful to help. I'll just keep on walking and hoping to shrink down. Thanks!

So, is your 30" waist measured or are you going by jeans size? Not sure how you have any love handles at that size. Mine are almost non-existent at a 36" waist. Anyways, I recommend resistance training over any cardio if you had to pick one if you want to tighten up your physique.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Any tips for some healthy snacks to get a bit more calories for the day, because it looks like I still need to get higher to not lose weight.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I don't believe in unhealthy foods just unhealthy diets so anything you want as long as you're getting good nutrition overall. I like special K protein cereal with whole milk and some PB fit sprinkled on top. High protein and easy way to get calories in since I can eat giant bowls of cereal. I usually do 1-2 servings of special k and 1-2 servings of my favorite's like cinnamon toast crunch etc. MMMmmmm.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017

Huh, interrrrrrrresting.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It's wild averaging 3500 calories per day(3700 last month) and continuing to gain muscle back and get leaner. I've held steady at 185 pounds I think my muscle memory is done helping on my upper body but now that I'm doing high-frequency leg work including a lot of calf work, I am adding inches and strength back to the lower body now. The chest has topped out(I think) at 48" cold. A good 12" larger than the waist. I didn't begin measuring until the last few months but I went from 45" chest and 39" waist so I doubled the difference. The new avy is from last night after a high rep bench press set, of course. A pump is a must. :P

Edit: I forgot to mention I think the hex bar deadlifts(easier on the old back) are a big reason for my more recent progress. Deadlifting low weight for 10-20 reps every other day.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've had a terrible start to the year. Work has been hell and I've had contractors in the house so every night has been moving shit around so they can work. Done basically nothing. :(

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't have thought there's a lot of calories in rice cakes and fruit.

The usual answer if you're trying to put on weight is nuts... and lots of them.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's wild averaging 3500 calories per day(3700 last month) and continuing to gain muscle back and get leaner. I've held steady at 185 pounds I think my muscle memory is done helping on my upper body but now that I'm doing high-frequency leg work including a lot of calf work, I am adding inches and strength back to the lower body now. The chest has topped out(I think) at 48" cold. A good 12" larger than the waist. I didn't begin measuring until the last few months but I went from 45" chest and 39" waist so I doubled the difference. The new avy is from last night after a high rep bench press set, of course. A pump is a must. :P

Edit: I forgot to mention I think the hex bar deadlifts(easier on the old back) are a big reason for my more recent progress. Deadlifting low weight for 10-20 reps every other day.

Never tried the hex bar but I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Does it take much getting used to?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Rest day today.

Tomorrow i actually bring back front squats which i haven't done since last year. So i'll be shock if i can do 1 lol

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Never tried the hex bar but I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Does it take much getting used to?
The hex bar feels surprisingly different from a regular deadlift. The bar's path is not longer constrained by your legs and it threw me off the first couple times. It's more of a squat motion for me than a deadlift. That said, after a quick acclimation it felt great.

The knurling on the hex bar in my gym is the most intense I've ever felt though, haha. It makes higher weights uncomfortable.