• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Random observation of the day: when I use a hook grip, my thumb ends up so squished that it takes my phone's fingerprint reader several attempts before it recognizes it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I wouldn't have thought there's a lot of calories in rice cakes and fruit.

The usual answer if you're trying to put on weight is nuts... and lots of them.

Nut spreads are better, the absorption on nuts is the lowest of any food. I think it's as high as 20% of the calories bypass your system intact. The more you chew the better of course.

Never tried the hex bar but I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Does it take much getting used to?

Not really, you just have to center your hands correctly on each side and it does feel like the middle ground between a deadlift and a squat. I just think it's safer. I've had lower back issues since my late 20's so I like to be as safe as possible while still lifting heavy to retain as much muscle as possible as I age.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Can anyone recommend a good pull-up bar for home use? I've heard good things about the Iron Gym, just wanted to see if anything else I should look for.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do ya'll think of spin classes? I mostly do weight training with little cardio but have done 4 spin classes in the last 10 days and really enjoy it. I want to lose weight, hate running but feel this alongside my weight training should help?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Great if you're just trying to lose weight / add a bit of fitness... but be warned, cardio is the enemy of gainz.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Intense cardio deflates these tiddies. I suggest lifting and LISS if you must do cardio. If you don't have time for LISS just do 30 second rest between lifting sets, that will get your heartrate up and make you sweat like mad if you're pushing yourself.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
yall im ready to hit up some front squats today. pray for me i don't kill myself or end up looking like Peter Griffin having a hernia trying to lift up the backend of a limo.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good pull-up bar for home use? I've heard good things about the Iron Gym, just wanted to see if anything else I should look for.
It's a good balance between price and quiality, which is probably why people recommend it. And I'm going to be boring and echo that sentiment.

If you haven't used a pull-up bar before: I'd recommend putting something soft between the doorframe and the bar, on each side of the door because the friction has a tendency to rip the foam on the bar. Maybe small folded-up towels or something.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I guess this is Google-able... but can you recommend a good core strength/abs workout regiment I can do at home? Mostly been doing situps every evening or sometimes morning. I can also do stuff at the gym but prefer at-home workouts I can do. Thanks in advance. I'm very clueless when it comes to this stuff!

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Intense cardio deflates these tiddies. I suggest lifting and LISS if you must do cardio. If you don't have time for LISS just do 30 second rest between lifting sets, that will get your heartrate up and make you sweat like mad if you're pushing yourself.
I've been trying to reduce the amount of time between sets, especially for squat and deadlift as they're the main culprits, and it feels like I'm sucking air the entire time I'm in the gym.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I guess this is Google-able... but can you recommend a good core strength/abs workout regiment I can do at home? Mostly been doing situps every evening or sometimes morning. I can also do stuff at the gym but prefer at-home workouts I can do. Thanks in advance. I'm very clueless when it comes to this stuff!
Athlean X - Youtube.

Also, situps are fucking awful.

Feb 10, 2018
What does fitness era think of the thinking that eating 5 - 6 smaller meals a day increases metabolism?
Is it better then eating 3 or 4 times a day? even if the calories and macronutrients are the same?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What does fitness era think of the thinking that eating 5 - 6 smaller meals a day increases metabolism?
Is it better then eating 3 or 4 times a day? even if the calories and macronutrients are the same?

I don't claim to be a food scientist or anything, but i've done diets where i eat everything within 3-5 hours, and i've done diets where i eat every 2-3 hours (with the exception of sleep) and i didn't see much difference. My advice is to do whatever is best for you and just focus on nailing your calorie goals.

For me personally, i eat 6 times a day because it gives me something to look forward to and i don't go hungry for long, i don't know if my metabolism is better for it or not.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Your metabolism increasing is a myth. There is a thermic effect of food(TEF which is the number of calories of ingested food that are needed for digestion) that is the reason for the myth but the average TEF is about 10% of total calories in a mixed diet no matter if you eat 1 meal or 30. Protein has the highest thermic effect at 25-30% carbs and fat at 4-6 and 3-4% respectively iirc. As far as optimal meals I believe it's about 4 separate meals spread out evenly through the day to keep protein synthesis at the best level but the benefit may be negligible. At the end of the day, total calories and protein are the most important aspects for body composition.

Feb 10, 2018
Your metabolism increasing is a myth. There is a thermic effect of food(TEF which is the number of calories of ingested food that are needed for digestion) that is the reason for the myth but the average TEF is about 10% of total calories in a mixed diet no matter if you eat 1 meal or 30. Protein has the highest thermic effect at 25-30% carbs and fat at 4-6 and 3-4% respectively iirc. As far as optimal meals I believe it's about 4 separate meals spread out evenly through the day to keep protein synthesis at the best level but the benefit may be negligible. At the end of the day, total calories and protein are the most important aspects for body composition.

So pro bodybuilders (on all levels) do it to just make it easier to eat so much food?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Basically.

Also, bodybuilders take a ton of different drugs (be they legal or not)... they're not you.

Edit - Also, don't discount the fact that people do things because they've always been done that way. There's a shitload of that in cycling too.

Feb 10, 2018
Basically.

Also, bodybuilders take a ton of different drugs (be they legal or not)... they're not you.

Edit - Also, don't discount the fact that people do things because they've always been done that way. There's a shitload of that in cycling too.

The drug thing is way overstated.
The best pro, Jay cutler, ronnie coleman, Kevin levrone actually took the least out all of all the pros and they still looked bigger then arnie in terminator before they took drugs.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
hit up front squats today. slowly added weight. settled with 265# for now. didn't want to go heavier since i wasn't sure if my body was ready for it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best pro, Jay cutler, ronnie coleman, Kevin levrone actually took the least out all of all the pros and they still looked bigger then arnie in terminator before they took drugs.
That's because of the advancement of bodybuilding since Arnold's time. And even then those guys are always on the juice.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
the amount and number of bodybuilding drugs has increased significantly since arnies day. There is zero chance the guys you listed did less drugs than arnie. By the late 90s there were at least half dozen drugs all bodybuilders were taking . They all downplay it . I've known multiple pros and regional champs

Last edited:

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this thread gives me some motivation. I have been slacking since my daughter was born and trying to advance at work. Now my wife is pregnant with our second. In the last 2 years Ive dropped from a steady 195 to 170ish with much higher bf%.

Really wish I had a garage so I could invest in some equipment. My current gym is 2 cities over since I moved and I don't want to commute so much as it takes time away from my family. Was planning on at least trying to start up again after holidays but have a huge review coming up end of this month. Hopefully that gives me a spark.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this thread gives me some motivation. I have been slacking since my daughter was born and trying to advance at work. Now my wife is pregnant with our second. In the last 2 years Ive dropped from a steady 195 to 170ish with much higher bf%.

Really wish I had a garage so I could invest in some equipment. My current gym is 2 cities over since I moved and I don't want to commute so much as it takes time away from my family. Was planning on at least trying to start up again after holidays but have a huge review coming up end of this month. Hopefully that gives me a spark.
Find a new gym?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If you get desperate you can try to make room for just a bench and some adjustable dumb bells and a pull up bar. You can do quite a bit with those.

Not ideal, but certainly better than nothing.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017

Only gyms currently nearby are big chains like 24 Hour Sport so the costs are ridiculous. Other than that theres crossfit places all over which I am not even going to wa ssd te my time on.

There is a place Id be interested in opening up in the next month though.

You'd think living where I do finding a decent gym nearby would be easier than it is

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I forget who said they'd ask their friend... but does anyone know of any pay as you go gyms in the San Francisco area?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Only gyms currently nearby are big chains like 24 Hour Sport so the costs are ridiculous. Other than that theres crossfit places all over which I am not even going to wa ssd te my time on.

There is a place Id be interested in opening up in the next month though.

You'd think living where I do finding a decent gym nearby would be easier than it is
Big chains are usually cheaper tbh. The smaller clubs tend to focus on full service options like personal training or many classes inclusive options.
Most cities have a snap fitness, planet fitness, anytime fitness, fit4less, etc although some of those are Canadian brands ... that offer the old 10 dollars per week ! Or 24.99 per month!!!
Usually with some hidden upgrades but you should never pay money down or upgrades just negotiate . Some gyms are still stuck in the 80s where everybody negotiates their own rate. What are the chains in your area ? They should get a Groupon or year special at some point

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Big chains are usually cheaper tbh. The smaller clubs tend to focus on full service options like personal training or many classes inclusive options.
Most cities have a snap fitness, planet fitness, anytime fitness, fit4less, etc although some of those are Canadian brands ... that offer the old 10 dollars per week ! Or 24.99 per month!!!
Usually with some hidden upgrades but you should never pay money down or upgrades just negotiate . Some gyms are still stuck in the 80s where everybody negotiates their own rate. What are the chains in your area ? They should get a Groupon or year special at some point

24Hr Fitness Sport, LA Fitness are the two closest which are about $47 but I refuse to go to those gyms as Ive had memberships before. There is a fitness 19 that will be opening up close by which is the chain I'm currently at. Its $9.99 but I'd have to upgrade my membership or open a new one.

All the gyms that have equipment I'd like to use and actually pay that premium are all quite far which is unfortunate.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
24Hr Fitness Sport, LA Fitness are the two closest which are about $47 but I refuse to go to those gyms as Ive had memberships before. There is a fitness 19 that will be opening up close by which is the chain I'm currently at. Its $9.99 but I'd have to upgrade my membership or open a new one.

All the gyms that have equipment I'd like to use and actually pay that premium are all quite far which is unfortunate.
Ah yeah some of those chains are a bit of a joke they treat everyone like a statistic or a number. I go to " Steve Nash " fitness world. He actually sued to get his name off but lost. It's a typical chain damn millenials (jk) on their phones just sitting on equipment, people packed in where you can't even get a locker or equipment, dirty , etc etc.
However I've been doing this for decades I can train anywhere what I do is go in with several workout options in mind and go with the flow. I never wait for machines or feel the need to have to use a specific piece of equipment..... just roll with it and do what you came to do

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
All of my workouts main lifts usually revolve around barbell movements so I'll either be doing at least one of deadlift or squat per workout usually followed by bench or another press so finding a gym with more than 1 squat rack is a must for me since I live in that thing.

All the accessories I can get more creative with. Always been my issue with huge chains as sometimes I can be waiting over 30 minutes to even start my workout. I really wish I could get a home gym and about 700lbs of plates.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
All of my workouts main lifts usually revolve around barbell movements so I'll either be doing at least one of deadlift or squat per workout usually followed by bench or another press so finding a gym with more than 1 squat rack is a must for me since I live in that thing.

All the accessories I can get more creative with. Always been my issue with huge chains as sometimes I can be waiting over 30 minutes to even start my workout. I really wish I could get a home gym and about 700lbs of plates.
Yeah that's a problem at any gym. There's no solution for that I can only say that I've switched to doing other things like dumbbell straight legged deads , lunges , deadlifts with hexbar , etc because of this. There's a million people doing all the greatest YouTube workouts now doing things like hip thrusts with 135 in a squat rack. If you sit there waiting it'll drive you insane.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a problem at any gym. There's no solution for that I can only say that I've switched to doing other things like dumbbell straight legged deads , lunges , deadlifts with hexbar , etc because of this. There's a million people doing all the greatest YouTube workouts now doing things like hip thrusts with 135 in a squat rack. If you sit there waiting it'll drive you insane.

I've been doing that for years haha. Can't really dwitch away from the barbells as I used to train for powerlifting meets and will probably go back to that style of training once I stsrt gping consistently.

Going to be a balacing act.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. My inexpensive gym was just acquired by a gigantic chain that has a location right up the street. And I've seen plans to redevelop the lot my current gym sits on.

I think I know where this is going.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
GNC having a BOGO 1/2 Off still.

looks like all ON products is part of the deal.

i have a 2x Cashback Rewards for myGNC Rewards members thats expiring today if anyone wants to use it.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I love fried eggs

Are they ok to eat if I just use nonstick spray and eat them with raw tomato?

I don't know where egg science is at right now.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nut spreads are better, the absorption on nuts is the lowest of any food. I think it's as high as 20% of the calories bypass your system intact. The more you chew the better of course.

Not really, you just have to center your hands correctly on each side and it does feel like the middle ground between a deadlift and a squat. I just think it's safer. I've had lower back issues since my late 20's so I like to be as safe as possible while still lifting heavy to retain as much muscle as possible as I age.

Are there any downsides? I'm assuming it works your back less and legs more. I work as a nurse and I'm pretty conscious of my back so if that's the only real downside I'd consider it.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I've been working out for around the past year or so using Dumbell a while eating at a deficit and I'm ready to start making some muscle gains. I'd really like some advice:

Height: 178cm (5'10")

Weight: 64kg

Goal: 72kg

Current Training Schedule:
Weights Mon/Wed/Fri using this template: https://cdn.muscleandstrength.com/sites/default/files/workouts/dumbbellonly.pdf
HIIT Tues/Thurs - Alternating sprints & jogging (10 minutes total)

Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells, bench, pull-up bar, trampoline

Comments:
I bought Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 book and I've picked a variation of The Periodization Bible, doing the 3-day a week variant where what I do on different days just shifts by one each week.

That means my workout looks like this with the main exercise listed first:

Day 1: OH Press / Chinup / Bent Over Row / Lying Extensions
Day 2: Hip Thrusts (in lieu of Deadlifts) / Lunges / Situps / Leg Curls
Day 3: Bench / Dumbell Bench / Dumbell Shrugs / Seated Extensions
Day 4: Goblet Squat (in lieu of back squats) / Back Raises / Bulgarian Split Squats / Dumbell Side Bends

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) I'm not even going to attempt back squats - my flexibility is so bad even dumbbell squats are a struggle. Will 5/3/1 even work for goblet squats or will I have to just treat goblet squats as another assistance exercise and make up for it in volume?

2) Ditto for deadlifts. I can't get down that low and still have my feet flat on the ground. I'm doing hip thrusts as the main exercise instead, but I worry that it won't be enough. Backing it up with lunges and shrugs.

3) It only just occurred to me that there are no curls mentioned anywhere. I do hammer curls and regular ones right now - though modest, my wife loves the progress I've made so far where my arms are concerned. Will these muscle groups be covered if I'm doing the main lifts and the exercises I've listed above?

I'm eating at maintenance since my BF% is sitting somewhere around 16-17% and I'm averaging 120g of protein a day.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
What does everyone listen to while gyming? What gets you into beast mode?

I've been bumping the New Future, also Santana and the Allman brothers live songs do get me through cardio.

If anyone else here is as addicted to preworkouts as much as I am I wanna reccomend "Total War" by Redcon1 and "Gameday" by MAN Sports. Pretty much the same formula for each, hits you haaard. Stupid expensive though, always look for sales.