• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Played around with paused bench press reps yesterday for my 5/3/1 BBB assistance work. I think I liked it.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the la fitness here is laid back because we got 4 deadlifts session going on at random spots lol

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I switched from a full body routine to a split routine and I have to say I didn't realise just how sore I was before on the old routine. I don't think I was giving some muscle groups enough time to recover properly before hitting them again.

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
Tips for tall dudes on not banging the shit outta their shins while DL? It's at the point where the bruising and scraping from the bar grinding my legs is more painful/distracting than the actual lift, and it looks awful. I wear shorts, so I guess I could try sweats which might help. If not, I'm gonna have to go full on riot gear shinguards haha.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Tips for tall dudes on not banging the shit outta their shins while DL? It's at the point where the bruising and scraping from the bar grinding my legs is more painful/distracting than the actual lift, and it looks awful. I wear shorts, so I guess I could try sweats which might help. If not, I'm gonna have to go full on riot gear shinguards haha.
i think ive adjusted my form a bit. i haven't had any shin scrapes in awhile. this is pulling conventional.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I bought shinguards.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of deadlifts, I was doing my stretches this morning and worked out that I could probably handle sumo deadlifts.

What's the general opinion on these compared to conventional? I've hurt myself doing conventional deadlifts (getting down low enough for proper form is physically impossible for me) so I've shied away from them. I've been doing hip thrusts and lunges instead, but if a sumo deadlift works similar muscles to a conventional deadlift, I might swap them in on my next cycle.

A sumo deadlift might even help M-66 with his shin scraping problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
my hamstrings are weak and me pulling sumo doesn't work. i mean i might go back to it one day. but in the meantime i like conventional.

don't mind the gut baby bump xD

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of deadlifts, I was doing my stretches this morning and worked out that I could probably handle sumo deadlifts.

What's the general opinion on these compared to conventional? I've hurt myself doing conventional deadlifts (getting down low enough for proper form is physically impossible for me) so I've shied away from them. I've been doing hip thrusts and lunges instead, but if a sumo deadlift works similar muscles to a conventional deadlift, I might swap them in on my next cycle.

Really depends on your goals and injury history. Sumo tends to allow people to get more upright which alleviates alot of the lowerback problems associated with conventional deadlifts. It also generally has more quad and hip activation than a conventional deadlift. Sumo is probably going to be better for you if you have an injury. Something to also consider is pulling Conventional from blocks or pins. Figure out what height you can pull from without the form issues and work from there.

Me personally I NEED to pull conventional as sumo generally isn't allowed in what I compete in. Can use it as a supplemental lift, but it really just doesn't fit into my training most of the time. I constantly work on the skill of deadlifting properly, working the hip hinge patterning and using my hamstrings and glutes properly. Use Romanian Deadlifts and Kettlebell Swings to practice hinging. Plus Pause Deadlifts to work on staying tight, work a weak area of the lift and be able to get low-medium intensity skill practice on the lift. I also don't go super heavy very often. Helps ingrain good reps, get more volume in, and reduce injury risk.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on your goals and injury history. Sumo tends to allow people to get more upright which alleviates alot of the lowerback problems associated with conventional deadlifts. It also generally has more quad and hip activation than a conventional deadlift. Sumo is probably going to be better for you if you have an injury. Something to also consider is pulling Conventional from blocks or pins. Figure out what height you can pull from without the form issues and work from there.

Me personally I NEED to pull conventional as sumo generally isn't allowed in what I compete in. Can use it as a supplemental lift, but it really just doesn't fit into my training most of the time. I constantly work on the skill of deadlifting properly, working the hip hinge patterning and using my hamstrings and glutes properly. Use Romanian Deadlifts and Kettlebell Swings to practice hinging. Plus Pause Deadlifts to work on staying tight, work a weak area of the lift and be able to get low-medium intensity skill practice on the lift. I also don't go super heavy very often. Helps ingrain good reps, get more volume in, and reduce injury risk.
Better quad and hip activation would actually be good for me. My physiotherapist tells me I have a rearward tilt on my hips caused by tight hamstrings. The flip side to that is I have weak quads.

My goal as far as lifting goes is a strong upright back and good mobility when I'm 80. If I can look good in the meantime this is a very nice bonus. I'm also not looking to compete, which eliminates that concern too.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What sort of rep/set numbers do yous do for deadlift? I'm never quite sure whether to go for high or low reps or how many sets I should doing. I tend to deadlift once or twice a week. I'm really considering upping the volume and reps a little and doing a few less heavy sets.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of rep/set numbers do yous do for deadlift? I'm never quite sure whether to go for high or low reps or how many sets I should doing. I tend to deadlift once or twice a week. I'm really considering upping the volume and reps a little and doing a few less heavy sets.
My program has one day with three sets of 1-5 heavy reps and one day with five sets of 10 light reps.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

My program changes deadlifts alot.

Sometimes i do 2 sets of 8, sometimes i do 1 set of 8 with a variation deadlift, sometimes i do 2 sets of 3.

The author of my program is very conscious of how draining deadlifts are and programs alot of recovery for them.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why even post such an unhelpful answer? Either you deliberately wanted to be unhelpful or your point is that it doesn't matter how many reps or sets you do which is obviously not true
x6t4w.jpg

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
this might finally be the year I stick with my training, 30 days in and still motivated and going strong. Lifting 5 days a week, hiking with the family and I even ponied up to pay for individual boxing lessons. Got my eating in check (1 cheat meal a week, sugar is my ultimate weakness) and just generally feeling good. The real test comes this week, going on a work trip and these usually do two things (I drink in excess, don't utilize hotel fitness machines to keep a rhythm going) we will seeeeeee but im feeling positive about it.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
this might finally be the year I stick with my training, 30 days in and still motivated and going strong. Lifting 5 days a week, hiking with the family and I even ponied up to pay for individual boxing lessons. Got my eating in check (1 cheat meal a week, sugar is my ultimate weakness) and just generally feeling good. The real test comes this week, going on a work trip and these usually do two things (I drink in excess, don't utilize hotel fitness machines to keep a rhythm going) we will seeeeeee but im feeling positive about it.
There's also nothing wrong with a little break too even if you have a couple bad days in a trip think if them as rest days and come back stronger than ever don't think of them as failed days

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't drink and you be good. It's really hard to count your calories while drinking alcohol

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My goal this year is to cut from 220 to 190. I'm probably anywhere between ~20%-25% bodyfat right now. Cutting the beer out completely would make it way easier but I love beer so much :(

I would look at a few programs like 5/3/1, PHAT, and some of the other popular ones just to get an idea of what their programming is like.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on your goals, technical proficiency at the lift, and overall work capacity (recovery ability). For example, I rotate the frequency, percentage and volume of all of my lifts. Depends on what I am focusing on at the moment and where I want to be. Basically I train in 2 phases, Accumulation (Volume), and Strength (Power). Right now I am focusing on building muscle, conditioning, and skill development and my program reflects that. I train higher reps for things like Deadlifts and Squats. I train lifts multiple times a week with a variation that allow me to practice the lift as a skill. Lots of set of 10 right now, with some sets of 3-5.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's opinions on recomposition (i.e. eating at maintenance) vs the traditional bodybuilding technique of cutting and bulking? I was thinking of just staying at maintenance and adjusting my eating as needed, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff online that says that you see results much faster if you cut to 10-12% bf and bulk to 15% bf, then rinse and repeat.

I'm at 16-17% at the moment but I look really thin (had to buy new clothes, get pants altered, the works), so I can't even imagine what 10-12% looks like. Also, after dieting for a year, I'm not relishing the idea of doing it again.

I mean, I'll do it if I have to - 12% should be achievable within 6 weeks and 10% within 10 weeks, but I really was enjoying eating at maintenance. An extra tub of yoghurt, dessert every once in a while and not having to say no to cake are things that bring me joy. Is it still the best way?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been trying out all different sorts of apps for keeping track for the past few months. The one I've been the happiest bout has been 5x5, the UI is just perfectly clean and simple.

Currently we're using Strong - but 6 bucks a month for what's a glorified spreadsheet is a bit steep for us.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's opinions on recomposition (i.e. eating at maintenance) vs the traditional bodybuilding technique of cutting and bulking? I was thinking of just staying at maintenance and adjusting my eating as needed, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff online that says that you see results much faster if you cut to 10-12% bf and bulk to 15% bf, then rinse and repeat.

I'm at 16-17% at the moment but I look really thin (had to buy new clothes, get pants altered, the works), so I can't even imagine what 10-12% looks like. Also, after dieting for a year, I'm not relishing the idea of doing it again.

I mean, I'll do it if I have to - 12% should be achievable within 6 weeks and 10% within 10 weeks, but I really was enjoying eating at maintenance. An extra tub of yoghurt, dessert every once in a while and not having to say no to cake are things that bring me joy. Is it still the best way?

Eating at maintenance is what the Athlean X strategy is all about, and that's my most recommended program because Jeff is a physical therapist and a physical trainer for pro athletes, he's a science based trainer and gives lengthy explanations as to why he does one thing, and why he doesn't do others.

Sometimes people fall into the trap of really liking the bulk and gaining too much weight, or cutting too much and losing to much muscle mass. But you can do whatever is most comfortable for you. I personally bulk during football season, cut during the Jan/Feb and try to do maintenance from Mar-Aug.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eating at maintenance is what the Athlean X strategy is all about, and that's my most recommended program because Jeff is a physical therapist and a physical trainer for pro athletes, he's a science based trainer and gives lengthy explanations as to why he does one thing, and why he doesn't do others.

Sometimes people fall into the trap of really liking the bulk and gaining too much weight, or cutting too much and losing to much muscle mass. But you can do whatever is most comfortable for you. I personally bulk during football season, cut during the Jan/Feb and try to do maintenance from Mar-Aug.

Yea I probably fall into this category. I hate being at maintenance because it's much harder for me to make sure I stay at a certain point. Easier for me to just eat way too much, or too little.

Bulking from September - March
Cutting March - June
Maintenance June - August

Has been my go to these past two years.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

I'm tempted to just do the cut now, then lean bulk back to 15%. Lord knows I've gotten good at delaying gratification. What's another 10-12 weeks, right?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I made hamburger helper stroganoff but substituted healthier ingredients

Ground turkey instead of ground beef, coconut milk instead of regular milk, added spinach and mushrooms. It was still very good. Seasoning packet isn't great for you but it was nice to mix it up from my normal pasta and rice.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
did 4x3 @ 405 deadlift yesterday.
went surprisingly well.
it must be the haircut. i wasn't eating my hair as i did it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Very nice, Dead Prince! Keep it up!

I'm pretty excited about how well my recomp is going, I'm in my best shape and it's only February. It's nice dieting without having to rush the deficit because of summer approaching, slow cutting/recomping is allowing me to look big and full instead of getting the skinny fat look.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just getting back into training.

Turbo work first, then back out on the bike hopefully as it gets warmer. Not really sure about weights yet as my rib is still fucked. =/

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently a little over 2 months into a linear program for beginners. Today while deadlifting it felt like I was more struggling with gripping the bar and not dropping it rather than the actual movement itself. Do I just need to work on my grip strength or something? How does one do that?

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently a little over 2 months into a linear program for beginners. Today while deadlifting it felt like I was more struggling with gripping the bar and not dropping it rather than the actual movement itself. Do I just need to work on my grip strength or something? How does one do that?
Have you tried a mixed grip? Your grip will improve naturally as you deadlift more and mixed grip will help when the grip is the bottleneck

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Sumo works the same muscles but it changes the leverages on some of them, as well as gives you a more upright posture. I went from conventional to sumo when I hurt my low back and it really helped.

And no, you still scrape the shit out of your shins whether it's conventional or sumo or if you're 5'4 or 6'5. You should be actively pulling the bar into you the whole rep and sitting back a bit.

You should do both low rep strength work and high rep hypertrophy work. Do it in periodizations so you might focus on strength for 1 month and then you focus on higher reps with lower weight the next month.

Sometimes you just have weaker grip. I've gone in some days and my grip was always slipping and other days I had a vice. Be careful with slipping grip because that can really impact your form which can be bad when you are pulling a lot. Keep some chalk handy, it is really helpful.

Grip strength is easy (but hard work). Deadlifts will naturally improve it. Farmer carries are great for it. Just hang from a pull up bar for an extended period of time at the end of workouts. Pinch gripping plates is also good.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried a mixed grip? Your grip will improve naturally as you deadlift more and mixed grip will help when the grip is the bottleneck
You could also learn to use a hook grip while the weight is still reasonably light. A mixed grip can lead to some ugly arm injuries.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Wrist wraps are very common for deadlifters. Your traps, lats, glutes, and hamstrings can handle more weight than your forearms can.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Wow - thanks for all the replies! Sounds like something I can actively work on at least, and is a common enough issue for a variety responses.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Wow - thanks for all the replies! Sounds like something I can actively work on at least, and is a common enough issue for a variety responses.

Oh also working as a farm hand or mechanic or jobs where you have to hold things will give you huge bear paws. I remember getting help from a farmer (I think) after I had driven into a ditch, and when I shook his hand....man those things were two steaks with sausages for fingers. Fucking massive hands, it was insane lmao. His hands swallowed mine.

And my friends dad is a painter and he had a strong ass handshake. I was confused at first, like what how does your dad have such a strong grip as a painter?!? He said, that's what happens when you carry buckets of paint (and other stuff) up flights and flights of stairs. And yea, it definitely would.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had experience taking a statin while going to the gym? My parents have had bad luck with muscle and join pain side effects, and while the amount of people who have side effects seems unclear, I'm a bit concerned.

I'm monitoring it with my doctor but I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotes.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't it a bit unusual for an average gym goer to be on statins?

I appreciate that's not helpful, I just don't think you'll really find that many people with experience.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Stalled on 60kg shoulder press yesterday, gave it two attempts but it just wouldn't go up. Doubly annoying given I managed (albeit with questionable form) it in December, alas! Onward & upward, deload next.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The coffee finally catching up to me lol.

also next week gonna change up meal prep. high protein during morning. don't need the carbs then. that and im tired of the same stuff anyways.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, my upper body power day looks like:

Barbell Bench
Dumbbell Incline Bench
Pull Ups
Overhead Press
[...other stuff...]

I'm thinking of changing to either

Barbell Bench
Overhead Press