• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Doing rack pulls. RIP hand because I got no chalk aid it's just running on the callus thats about to go red soon

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got tips on deadlift grip? I'm stalling out at like 330 because my grip gives out and I feel I have way more than tank left

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Over/under grip to compensate the weaker hand if you haven't.
chalk/straps.

other than that you can work on grip with some heavy holds, do the suggested stuff in the previous pages.
for me, my hands are pretty much not meant to hold things lmao. ive just been doing reps at higher weight and just built up my grip that way.

in other news, i bought one of those percussion massage gun.

https://plenomassager.com/collectio...bration-device-pain-relief-percussive-therapy

2_ef1f11d0-3d2e-4f9b-ba35-e74c5fbb0085_2000x.jpg

its a knock off of hyperice which is a knock off of a redesigned theragun which is a knock off a jigsaw.

i chose pleno because the hyperice looked cool and was quieter than theragun but i noticed that Hyperice can turn off by pushing hard enough on the end which meant you don't really get much out of it. but with Pleno 5.0 i can push on it hard and it stays on. and its not loud. even on the highest speed. also the accessories i can probably find some inserts and it looks like you can probably use hyperice accessories. im sure i can amazon other stuff. the ones that come with pleno looks like it could come part lol.

but also i got the tight spot between my shoulder blade and spine loosened up. using the cone accessories. also it's not as scary as you think. the only thing you shouldn't really do is use it on your head, genitals, or boney part of your body that sort of sticks out

Last edited:

bino

Dec 3, 2018
Anyone got tips on deadlift grip? I'm stalling out at like 330 because my grip gives out and I feel I have way more than tank left
I used lifting straps then switched to versa grips. Definitely prefer the versa grips - much more stable albeit more expensive. Although there are 3rd party brands that are ~1/2 the price.
If you don't want to use straps, try using a slightly wider grip - it worked for me. I try not to use the over/under grip. From my experience it feels like I'm using one side of my back more than the other.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Buy some straps or learn hook grip. Train grip independently of main deadlift work.

I like figure 8 straps. You are not losing that bar if you're using figure 8s. They would have to rip apart or the deadlift rip your arm off. I warm up Double overhand, no hook or chalk. Then as drop sets on Deadlift do double overhand static holds for time. I also train with fat gripz double overhand on a seperate day to train the thumb, which for quite a few people is a weakpoint in their grip strength.

Oct 30, 2017
Is chocobro on here under a new handle? Wanted to catch up with him but like a lot of us, he likely changed names (I was ilovebish).

Fitness wise I've been doing okay to decent, my home gym is just insane at this point but time is my biggest enemy.

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, is there anyone who can help me make some sense about what I'm experiencing?

I've been going to the gym for a long time now, having lost 35kg which I can happily keep off of me, with or without going to the gym.

Now for a few months I'm at 3x - 4x a week doing strength on a 1,800 calorie diet. I'm 181 cm and 90kg (5.9" 198 pounds).. I would think I'd be losing weight, right? Especially since my job requires me to be active as well. It feels like at 1,800 calories, a 90g protein intake and my current regime at the gym, I'm actually maintaining my weight? But then, I'm also not growing stronger and experiencing any muscle growth..

I just found out through MFP and a macro calculator at Bodybuilding that somebody with my weight,height and activity should actually atleast eat 2,800 calories a day with a 180g worth of protein intake.
But I feel like I will only bloat up in an instant if I follow this, as I am pretty much maintaining my weight on just 1,800 calories, despite not growing muscles or getting stronger at all?

As I really just want to have more definition / gain muscle growth and strength this is all rather confusing to me, as I really just don't want to get fat.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be aiming for about 140-150g if I were you. 90g is almost certainly too low if you're trying to put on muscle.

180g probably not neccesary (not sure what that's calculated on).

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that sounds good! What about my calorie intake? I feel like I'm easily maintaining my weight at 1,800 calories, while I actually should be losing weight! Everything tells me that a person with my specifics and activity should actually eat 2,800 to maintain? What would be going on here?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Over time your body will adjust your metabolism to basically survive. It's likely that your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) is next to nothing because of how low your intake is.

I'd argue you need to spend some time at higher calorie levels to fix that. I understand the psychological fear of gaining weight, but adding in some calories will do wonders to improve your strength / physique.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
Over time your body will adjust your metabolism to basically survive. It's likely that your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) is next to nothing because of how low your intake is.

I'd argue you need to spend some time at higher calorie levels to fix that. I understand the psychological fear of gaining weight, but adding in some calories will do wonders to improve your strength / physique.

Thanks Psychotext! You've been more helpful than all the articles I've read. So I can just up my calorie intake, with a 150g protein intake as well, and just continue my workouts it seems.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I'll look at the scale the next few times, instead just focus on my workouts and see how my physique & strength progress goes.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll look at the scale the next few times, instead just focus on my workouts and see how my physique & strength progress goes.
You can keep weighing yourself, but don't worry so much about the day-to-day fluctuations. If the long-term trend looks good, keep going. If not, tweak your approach.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the help guys!

It's probably my fault, I've used MFP to lose my weight successfully, but then didn't update my goals on mfp and just started doing strength training religiously. To the point I didn't really lose weight anymore but neither did I gain any muscle strength and mass. Just a tiny bit of definition.

Atleast I'm on the right track now. I'll make sure to keep checking this topic for some tips and let you all know about my progress.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just weight yourself once a week, daily i kinda of pointless since your bodyweight changes all the time

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I took a few months off due to injuries from my last strongman competition but am now getting back into the groove. I have my next contest on Memorial Day weekend for a max deadlift, max log, farmer's hold, I think a rock to shoulder.

Problem is that my bicep tendinitis is back and hurts like hell. I can do overhead lifts fine but I cant do straight bar bench. Any recommendations?

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have experience coming back from (serious) injury and learning to automatically trust your body again? I had hip surgery about 3 years ago and removed a couple of the smaller rotational muscles, and now when I start pushing heavier weights when squatting (compared to the bar I started out with) I can feel myself leaning/pushing more with my healthy side. I'm not consciously doing it, and I'm not sure how to unlearn the behaviour...

Stay for longer at lower weights with slower progression where I feel like I'm pushing equally still or something?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I had a question . It's been a long ass time on week long s

It's probably my fault, I've used MFP to lose my weight successfully, but then didn't update my goals on mfp and just started doing strength training religiously. To the point I didn't really lose weight anymore but neither did I gain any muscle strength and mass. Just a tiny bit of definition.

Atleast I'm on the right track now. I'll make sure to keep checking this topic for some tips and let you all know about my progress.
Just to play devil's advocate no bmr calculator will be very accurate compared to good old trial and error
... I've eaten 1500 calories per day worked out 6 days per week and only lost 1-2lbs per week multiple times in my life. Sometimes losing weight is just hard unfortunately. Many people will say oh you should be able to eat way more .... it's not always the case. But if you want to get away with eating more you can always train harder ! And the previous advice is good too to try a shake up.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I definitely do lose weight easily with mfp. those are the goals I used to lose 35kg and that went just fine! It's just that it stalled completely once I started doing strength training religiously with the same mfp goals. Aside from a small amount of definition, i didn't lose weight, but I also didn't gain any mass nor am I getting any stronger.

So basically, I stopped losing weight once I focused on strength training while using the exact same mfp goals (1,800calories / 90g protein) , but I definitely didn't get any stronger either, it just cancels each other out really.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Just to play devil's advocate no bmr calculator will be very accurate compared to good old trial and error
... I've eaten 1500 calories per day worked out 6 days per week and only lost 1-2lbs per week multiple times in my life. Sometimes losing weight is just hard unfortunately. Many people will say oh you should be able to eat way more .... it's not always the case. But if you want to get away with eating more you can always train harder ! And the previous advice is good too to try a shake up.

You had to have been very sedentary during that 1500 calories diet. I'm talking about outside of working out.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Well, I definitely do lose weight easily with mfp. those are the goals I used to lose 35kg and that went just fine! It's just that it stalled completely once I started doing strength training religiously with the same mfp goals. Aside from a small amount of definition, i didn't lose weight, but I also didn't gain any mass nor am I getting any stronger.

So basically, I stopped losing weight once I focused on strength training while using the exact same mfp goals (1,800calories / 90g protein) , but I definitely didn't get any stronger either, it just cancels each other out really.

Are you taking progress pics and measurements? I stopped losing scale weight as well but the mirror shows a huge change over the last several months.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
Are you taking progress pics and measurements? I stopped losing scale weight as well but the mirror shows a huge change over the last several months.

No, I havent once taken a progress pic during my strength training. Just because I wasn't getting any stronger at all during 1800/90 nor noticing muscle growth.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I've found counting calories 100% accurately is very hard. It's annoying to weigh cucumber- or cheese slices, glasses of milk etc but without doing that you can't really say it's 100% counted right? It's just an estimate since all those are variable in size and thus in calories.

Then there are all the things you potentially didn't think about counting.

Often cooking food changes the amount of calories you get from it by making it more digestible. Raw vs cooked egg for example.

Calories burned through activity and exercise are hard to calculate exactly.

And so on. Taking all this into account, I think calories calculators are good place to start, but you need to observer progress and do adjustments where necessary. There might be variables you are not including in the calorie counts.

FLX-II

Oct 28, 2017
I've found counting calories 100% accurately is very hard. It's annoying to weigh cucumber- or cheese slices, glasses of milk etc but without doing that you can't really say it's 100% counted right? It's just an estimate since all those are variable in size and thus in calories.

Then there are all the things you potentially didn't think about counting.

Often cooking food changes the amount of calories you get from it by making it more digestible. Raw vs cooked egg for example.

Calories burned through activity and exercise are hard to calculate exactly.

And so on. Taking all this into account, I think calories calculators are good place to start, but you need to observer progress and do adjustments where necessary. There might be variables you are not including in the calorie counts.
I wholeheartedly agree. But for me MFP worked wonders to lose my weight, by following my goals on it strictly. Though it definitely isn't just counting calories indeed! I think it was my mistake following the same goals I used to lose weight, while only focusing on strength and no longer on cardio anymore. Which obviously wouldn't work for what I now want to achieve.

I'll up both my calorie and protein intake, and we'll see how that goes! It's a slow process, but I really love going to the gym, it's addictive and makes me feel great, so I'll achieve my next set of goals eventually! Glad I took the step of joining this community!

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017

For some perspective: I've spent from May to November of last year going down from ~2200 cals to ~1700. Most of that time was spent on the lower end of that spectrum. During that time pretty much all my lifts stalled or decreased significantly, but my body weight went down to 78kg (from 92kg I think) but I felt like absolute shit those last few months.
Starting in November I gradually started adding calories until I was at 2500, 100 every day but in hindsight I probably should have done it slower since my weight shot up quite a bit (100 calories added every week would be about right methinks). My lifts are finally going up again at a great pace. Last week I actually went down one kg from 84.3 to 83.2 at that same 2500 calories intake, which means to me that I'm pretty much perfectly primed to lose a couple kilos very easily by just cutting a few calories if I was to enter a cutting phase.

So yeah, calories are pretty flexible in the long run. Try slowly adding a few calories every week, maintain and re-evaluate.
But every body works differently so don't take any of this as gospel but just some pointers from someone who has been in a similar situation.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Nope just regular living . Walking around at work not heavy labour , getting around doing usual stuff . 1500 is a typical calorie level for cutting for me.

24/7? No cheat days? Weighed your food? Bodyweight? That's insane to me. I am cutting on 3700. I'm pretty active but still. I can't see how your body can be so much more efficient than mine.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
24/7? No cheat days? Weighed your food? Bodyweight? That's insane to me. I am cutting on 3700. I'm pretty active but still. I can't see how your body can be so much more efficient than mine.
Yeah I could do a cheat window in there not a day. I can tell you right now that cutting on 3700 is not typical I've trained literally hundreds of people in bootcamp and weight loss programs and most were sub 2000 cals.
Again this is to hit -2lbs per week. General math is minus 500 cals per day or 3500 cals per week to lose 1lb so extrapolating that to maintenance that's 1500 + 500 -1000 for maintenance. The average person is 2000cals per day for maintenance so that's exactly on track . Add a 300 calorie workout and you're up near 2500. Perfectly normal. I don't know your age but wait till age 30, 35 etc. My brother was 5'11 and 175 right up to age 35 and went to 200 within one year and was skinny all his life now has to cut all the time .

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Officially signed up for my 5th strongman competition. Once March 1st rolls around I can sign up for my 6th.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I'm on my third. What are the events? Also what age and weight class?
I will be 28 by then, 220 and under weight class.

Overhead Medley
225 Axle, 225 Log, 125 Circus Dumbbell

Power Stairs
150, 200, 225 and 250.

Carry Medley
200 Hussafell Stone, 475 Frame, 250 Duck Walk

Arm Over Arm Pull.
Probably some kind of truck.

Keg Load Series
Weights N/A

Max Axle Deadlift (From the floor)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it a bit unusual for an average gym goer to be on statins?

I appreciate that's not helpful, I just don't think you'll really find that many people with experience.

Sorry, didn't have a chance to respond to this.

Well...in my case I did unfortunately fall off the gym wagon late last year. But no, I don't think it would be unusual for a good portion of gym goers to be on statins.

For one, high cholesterol is often hereditary and not solely down to diet (your body actually produces some types of cholesterol!)

In addition, there are a lot of dudes who go to the gym to be strong and don't necessarily care about nutrition.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah I could do a cheat window in there not a day. I can tell you right now that cutting on 3700 is not typical I've trained literally hundreds of people in bootcamp and weight loss programs and most were sub 2000 cals.
Again this is to hit -2lbs per week. General math is minus 500 cals per day or 3500 cals per week to lose 1lb so extrapolating that to maintenance that's 1500 + 500 -1000 for maintenance. The average person is 2000cals per day for maintenance so that's exactly on track . Add a 300 calorie workout and you're up near 2500. Perfectly normal. I don't know your age but wait till age 30, 35 etc. My brother was 5'11 and 175 right up to age 35 and went to 200 within one year and was skinny all his life now has to cut all the time .

37 years old. Off and on lifting since age 19. In the best shape of my life so far. The avy is from weeks ago, I'm leaner now.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
old people checking in. 33 years young. ive looked better but as far as health and strength its much better than what i was in high school where the only physical activity i did back then was eat. lol

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Oh snap. Came to the gym to my surprise they replaced the mats at the free weight area and got thicker mat for those deadlift areas lol. Maybe they will have a deadlift platform built by 2020? Lol

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
37 years old. Off and on lifting since age 19. In the best shape of my life so far. The avy is from weeks ago, I'm leaner now.
Yeah looking good. Some people have revved up metabolism some don't. I have a friend who's about 6'3 200 and walks around like 8 percent body fat. Dude remind me of smaller Arnold. What a gift but he was never into bodybuilding. Just likes to lift for fun and biking.
His mom used to bench 2 plates what genes.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah looking good. Some people have revved up metabolism some don't. I have a friend who's about 6'3 200 and walks around like 8 percent body fat. Dude remind me of smaller Arnold. What a gift but he was never into bodybuilding. Just likes to lift for fun and biking.
His mom used to bench 2 plates what genes.

Mine isn't revved up, I'm doing more of a recomp at the moment plus I am really active. Only 5'9" 187-189 pounds now.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Rip to all my socks because I forgot to clip my nails. I have to be careful to not ruin my deadlift socks lol

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I'm going through a rough time right now and I deal with mental health, there is a crossfit studio nearby and I'm interested. It's affordable as well, I think I would like to go for it! I'm a pretty skinny guy, but I'd like to kinda just tighten and tone everything, as well as having a dedicated schedule to help me bust my ass and stay on task. Any advice..?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hey all, I'm going through a rough time right now and I deal with mental health, there is a crossfit studio nearby and I'm interested. It's affordable as well, I think I would like to go for it! I'm a pretty skinny guy, but I'd like to kinda just tighten and tone everything, as well as having a dedicated schedule to help me bust my ass and stay on task. Any advice..?
Just work into it slowly. Easy to go out too hard and injure yourself.

Plenty of food / rest if you're trying to put on a bit of muscle too.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just work into it slowly. Easy to go out too hard and injure yourself.

Plenty of food / rest if you're trying to put on a bit of muscle too.

I'm starting their 7-day trial today to see about how that goes, they seemed really nice on the phone, honestly. I also don't really understand diets, it's always been really confusing for me, any explain it to me like I'm 10 tips on that front? Mostly looking for a tight stomach and general definition

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have experience coming back from (serious) injury and learning to automatically trust your body again? I had hip surgery about 3 years ago and removed a couple of the smaller rotational muscles, and now when I start pushing heavier weights when squatting (compared to the bar I started out with) I can feel myself leaning/pushing more with my healthy side. I'm not consciously doing it, and I'm not sure how to unlearn the behaviour...

Stay for longer at lower weights with slower progression where I feel like I'm pushing equally still or something?

Bulgarian split squats! You're going to have to lower the weight and regain that mind-muscle connection as well. It may feel regressive like you want to hit those heavy loads again but you have to play the long game. You'll be rewarded for it.
Especially since you have lost some stabilizers that could dramatically affect your biomechanics, so use light weight (probably start with body weight) and just get the feel for how the leg mechanics work now. Pause reps are really good for that, like pausing for 5 seconds at the bottom, halfway up, etc.

I'm starting their 7-day trial today to see about how that goes, they seemed really nice on the phone, honestly. I also don't really understand diets, it's always been really confusing for me, any explain it to me like I'm 10 tips on that front? Mostly looking for a tight stomach and general definition
Diets are just a restriction of a certain food group or a reduction from your normal calorie intake. Their purpose is to lose weight and is short term.

If you're thin as you say, then just go to crossfit for a couple months and you'll gain a bunch of muscle and probably be shredded. No need to diet at this point, in fact you might have to eat more to sustain the muscle growth.