• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bulgarian split squats! You're going to have to lower the weight and regain that mind-muscle connection as well. It may feel regressive like you want to hit those heavy loads again but you have to play the long game. You'll be rewarded for it.
Especially since you have lost some stabilizers that could dramatically affect your biomechanics, so use light weight (probably start with body weight) and just get the feel for how the leg mechanics work now. Pause reps are really good for that, like pausing for 5 seconds at the bottom, halfway up, etc.

Diets are just a restriction of a certain food group or a reduction from your normal calorie intake. Their purpose is to lose weight and is short term.

If you're thin as you say, then just go to crossfit for a couple months and you'll gain a bunch of muscle and probably be shredded. No need to diet at this point, in fact you might have to eat more to sustain the muscle growth.

Like I'm not stick thin, but I'm not as defined as I'd like to be, basically.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
So, this is kind of a dumb question... but how do you switch to maintenance?

I started boxing recently and I'm *shedding* weight. Like, for the last few years I've hung out around 13-17% body fat and been pretty happy with it. I'm tipping at 11% right now. I don't mind getting down a little lower than this. annoyingly, I have veins popping out everywhere, extreme definition on all of my muscles (back, chest, arms, legs) with really good seperation of difference muscles.. and a tiny little baby gut because my body fucking LOVES stomach fat. Which I've known for a while.. but it's hilarious. Like half my remaining fat has to be sitting on my stomach.

But realistically if I drop more than another 4 pounds of fat I'll be at 9-9.5% body fat which is about as low as I likely want to be at my age (late 30s). I've never had this problem because I've always kind of eaten junk even when working out. Not horrible, but you know. snacks, burgers and fries. This is the first time I've tried to eat (relatively) clean while working out... and I have no idea how to consume an extra 1,000 calories a day without eating garbage.

Do I just say F' it, eat clean and assume my body will stop shedding weight soon? Because I'm operating on a caloric deficit for sure and I kind of want to shut off the weight loss here in a month or so.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm starting their 7-day trial today to see about how that goes, they seemed really nice on the phone, honestly. I also don't really understand diets, it's always been really confusing for me, any explain it to me like I'm 10 tips on that front? Mostly looking for a tight stomach and general definition
Go slow don't get sucked into doing more than you can safely handle. Cross fit is a good workout but has higher than average injury rates.
Diet - start by just eating healthy , cook some food , eat protein and track your weight like weekly or monthly see how it goes . Take a few simple measurements like waist , chest , hips

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Go slow don't get sucked into doing more than you can safely handle. Cross fit is a good workout but has higher than average injury rates.
Diet - start by just eating healthy , cook some food , eat protein and track your weight like weekly or monthly see how it goes . Take a few simple measurements like waist , chest , hips
Shit form has a lot to do with the high injury rates tbh

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Shit form has a lot to do with the high injury rates tbh
Doing Olympic lifts is always going to be more risky than say sitting on a chair lifting a dumbbell. It's all risk/reward . But yes the coaches at crossfit I feel bear the responsibility of training people on those explosive lifts. However I don't know enough about crossfit to say but the people I knew who went were always doing balls out high weight stuff 365 days per year. If they don't do some kind of periodization then I would definitely work that in (I believe they introduced crossfit light later for this issue )

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I cut to 178 then bulked on maintenance calories from approximately Sept to now. Still eating at a 200-500 calorie deficit on paper but my weight is slowly increasing as I continue to lean out. I chalk the more recent progress up to muscle memory working its magic. In my 20's I was slightly larger than now and a good bit stronger. Gaining that strength back though, little by little. At 178 I was running too much and my bench was down to 225x5. Today I got 225x20. My best was 300x10 at 190 pounds in 2010. Maybe I can get some extra motivation for the maintenance/recomp bros in here.
uWpA8bs.png

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I cut to 178 then bulked on maintenance calories from approximately Sept to now. Still eating at a 200-500 calorie deficit on paper but my weight is slowly increasing as I continue to lean out. I chalk the more recent progress up to muscle memory working its magic. In my 20's I was slightly larger than now and a good bit stronger. Gaining that strength back though, little by little. At 178 I was running too much and my bench was down to 225x5. Today I got 225x20. My best was 300x10 at 190 pounds in 2010. Maybe I can get some extra motivation for the maintenance/recomp bros in here.
uWpA8bs.png
Good stuff. Are you saying that the pictures are of you at the same weight? That's great. About how big is your waist if you don't mind me asking in the top pic

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
So I picked up a 70lb. kettlebell because I was able to get it for $10. The trouble is that I can't seem to do anything with it. I can pick it up in one hand and carry it around a while, though as it turns out, not far enough that I was able to get it to my car in one walk. I can't do curls or anything with it. Does anyone know some good kettlebell exercises that one can do with one that is generally too heavy for the fancy stuff? (For reference, I usually only go as high as 37.5 when doing various dumbbell exercises.

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
Was rushing too much today because I needed to get back to work, neglected to setup properly for a deadlift, tweaked my knee slightly. Will be fine, but it goes to show one really needs to keep one's head in the game when maneuvering "heavy" weights around.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Good stuff. Are you saying that the pictures are of you at the same weight? That's great. About how big is your waist if you don't mind me asking in the top pic

No, it shows 193 in the bottom before pic and 189 on top. Waist measured is 35.5. I didn't take a before measurement and I regret it. I think it was closer to 38 but can't be sure. I wear size 30 pants which is odd. Jean measurements are so off.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for protein drinks? I usually have bars when I'm feeling like I need an extra bit but to be honest I'm getting a bit sick of them.

I'm going to get in some of the ready made stuff like this...

256511011_0_640x640.jpg

...but I'd like an additional option. I don't really care what it costs (I'm only having it now and then), but it should be delicious. I'd like to look forward to having it. :)

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions for protein drinks? I usually have bars when I'm feeling like I need an extra bit but to be honest I'm getting a bit sick of them.

I'm going to get in some of the ready made stuff like this...

256511011_0_640x640.jpg

...but I'd like an additional option. I don't really care what it costs (I'm only having it now and then), but it should be delicious. I'd like to look forward to having it. :)
Make a protein shake with banana and peanut butters

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If I had time I'd be eating proper food, this is for when I don't.

Also, I want minimum calories for the protein, I'm very much not trying to bulk (I'm an endurance athlete).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
My immediate impression from attempting a session with Rippetoe's lower bar position is that it feels like a hassle and uncomfortable. But I will definitely give it some more sessions before getting second thoughts.
For years I have squat with the 'typical' bar position resting ontop of the shoulder bones when Rippetoe recommends just a hair below (and I'm locating the right spot according to his videos). It feels slightly painful on the outermost bones even though I try to mass together as much flesh as possible by holding a narrow grip, straight line through the wrists (hand on top) and elbows high. Will try to get someone else to critique my positioning.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Random question but has anyone had any experience using P90x(original or 2,) or body beast?

Reason I ask is I re aggreviated my rotator cuff(lifting to heavy too often) and need something not as intense to take a break for a bit.

I'm 5'8, weigh 180(would like to lose a little bit of weight) have good size, last time I maxed for bench was 335(for reference if this helps at all). Are these programs a waste of time?

In case anyone asks the injury isn't serious but i can't definitely feel it when I go to heavy and I really don't want to injure myself. I did have to take a break for about 8 months a few years ago when I really injured my rotat cuff so trying to be a more more cautious this time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've done both, both have good points and bad points.

To be honest, I looked my best ever after doing body beast (plus a couple of compounds)... though admittedly I have since switched to almost pure endurance work.

If you're injured, I'd do P90X over Body Beast though. Much more focus on higher intensity work over high weights.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a daily plan. I'm 6'4, 200+ lbs, can already lift a fair heavy amount, but I want to both strengthen my overall core and also lean out in a few places (the stomach area).

I mainly just repeat a set of exercises, including weight-lifting and treadmill walking, but I don't know how to increase my strength and stamina. I pretty much just maintain it. I don't want to kill myself, but I can do a fair amount before tiring out, so a daily plan that can be done an hour or less would be appreciated.

I've also been thinking of taking up a boxing class, even though I worry a bit about whether my shitty back or occasionally shitty ankle can take it. I've seen some Groupon classes here and there, but is there a fine print that I should look at to avoid getting scammed? Just want something that I can go to that isn't too far and doesn't cost too much.

I'm hoping boxing can help clear a lot of aggression I've been feeling lately (think Rocky's "beast" speech in Rocky 6).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a daily plan. I'm 6'4, 200+ lbs, can already lift a fair heavy amount, but I want to both strengthen my overall core and also lean out in a few places (the stomach area).

I mainly just repeat a set of exercises, including weight-lifting and treadmill walking, but I don't know how to increase my strength and stamina. I pretty much just maintain it. I don't want to kill myself, but I can do a fair amount before tiring out, so a daily plan that can be done an hour or less would be appreciated.

I've also been thinking of taking up a boxing class, even though I worry a bit about whether my shitty back or occasionally shitty ankle can take it. I've seen some Groupon classes here and there, but is there a fine print that I should look at to avoid getting scammed? Just want something that I can go to that isn't too far and doesn't cost too much.

I'm hoping boxing can help clear a lot of aggression I've been feeling lately (think Rocky's "beast" speech in Rocky 6).

Unfortunately you can't target body fat, if you want to lose weight then it's going to be lost evenly throughout your entire body.

If you want to get stronger and lose fat you'll have to pay very very close attention to your diet, i'd recommend a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight and try to aim for a very small deficit. (For example, if you need 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight, eat about 1800-1900), if you eat too few calories you won't be able to build muscle, if you eat too many calories you'll gain fat. (Note, this is why most people choose to bulk and cut, because it's easier and doesn't require you to be so precise with calories).

As far as lifting, there's alot of programs in the OP, i personally do Johnny Candito's intermediate program, but most programs are effective.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boxing training isn't for the faint of heart that shit is killer

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to post a link to the program I use. It directly targets what you're asking about here--how to improve both your strength and your stamina (it's mainly aimed at law enforcement and military, who need both). It combines lifting and conditioning work, and they have a specific program for boxers/mma types. There are two books you can buy on Kindle (they are cheap).

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/

There are links to the Amazon pages for the books in the bottom right of the page. There's also a Training Log on the forum where you can get a taste of what people are doing. Here's mine.

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1125

Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
because its already hard to get tofu in stores as is. and i don't have the time to make my own ;P

that said. i have 2 blocks left that i need to use. i forgot all about it this week.

really? It's readily available in basically every major superstore here (UK). Where are you based? Might be worth checking any asian supermarkets if you have any near, it's usually cheaper in there too.

I often make a scrambled tofu, broccoli and borlotti bean rice dish for an easy protein boosted meal.

Oct 30, 2017
im reverse. lol.
just going to become a centaur

I was like that for my entire gym life. After not lifting for so many months and doing work around the house, my upper body strength got way better. It was my weak point before, but I'm sad how much I hate deadlifting now, used to be a personal favorite.

215x5 on bench today, easily had more in me but I had my monolifts not adjusted right and finished up quick to fix the positioning of them.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, first beginner form mistake today! Looks like I'll have to record myself doing squats and adjust. Nothing too bad, just a stiff and sore lower back for a few days based on how it feels would be my guess.

Nov 1, 2017
Yesterday was my first workout that didn't feel like shit all year. Feels like I'm finally turning the corner after taking much of the holidays off altogether (big mistake).

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here have a good 2 day a week training program? I had taken a couple of month break from hitting the gym and now getting back into the swing of things - and I'm going to try without a personal trainer this time since I have pretty good form now on all the major compound exercises and can watch videos on the accessory ones. But what I don't know is how to build weight lifting programs as well. I'm using fitbod app and it's doing a pretty good job creating programs for me but I want to be more exact.

I'm more focused on strength training than cardio. I assume I'll divide up the days with Squat day and Deadlift/Bench day, and then figure out the vertical push/pull and horizontal push/pull between each. Obviously things like lat pulls during deadlift/bench day to activate my lats before hand. Any suggestions? Assume an hour to an hour and a half workout every Tue and Fri. I'll add another day eventually but right now just want to get back at it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, if I was just doing two days a week I'd have them as full compound days.

So squat, dead, OHP, bench.

That's what I tend to do when I work back from injuries too. Obviously you wont be lifting what you potentially could in each of those, but you've got plenty of time to recover when only doing Tue / Fri. I just don't see you making any progress if you're only benching / squatting etc once a week.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, if I was just doing two days a week I'd have them as full compound days.

So squat, dead, OHP, bench.

That's what I tend to do when I work back from injuries too. Obviously you wont be lifting what you potentially could in each of those, but you've got plenty of time to recover when only doing Tue / Fri. I just don't see you making any progress if you're only benching / squatting etc once a week.

I was only benching and deadlifting once a week on my 3 days a week program before and seeing great results / gains

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but I assume you were doing appropriate accessory work on the other two days. Just two days a week becomes a different story.

Also depends how new to lifting you are. If you're still in your first few years then doing pretty much anything will work.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got any pointers for doing trap bar DLs instead of standard ones?

I picked up Starting Strength about a month ago again after doing it very lightly last fall, but even approaching bodyweight DLs I started feeling uncomfortable in my lower back, despite not feeling that my form was too bad. One issue was that I approached it as a pull exercise instead of a push one, but even trying to change that mentality didn't feel good since I hadn't rested my lower back enough. Cue two sessions of tapping out during warm-up, and me discovering the trap bar as an alternative.

First time with it today, and I easily managed above bodyweight for my max rep (I read it's normal to be able to lift more with it). The main drawback that I seem to come across is that it gives less hip extension or something, but given that it is so much more lenient on the lower back, what's actually the drawback if you can approach heavier loads with it anyway? Is only progressing with trap bar for a while going to be sub-optimal, and is there any accessory move I should look at?

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Anyone got any ideas on how to improve an OHP? I've basically peaked at 50kg and I weigh 68kg. I can't do the rocking motion thingy at the start of the movement with my hips without it feeling like my lower back is gonna crumple from the pressure. Any advice on how to improve without the slight rock back, or to learn how to do the swinging motion in the first place?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There's really not a lot of science in support of them.

It's not the answer you want, but you're much better off improving your diet to add more fruit and veg.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any ideas on how to improve an OHP? I've basically peaked at 50kg and I weigh 68kg. I can't do the rocking motion thingy at the start of the movement with my hips without it feeling like my lower back is gonna crumple from the pressure. Any advice on how to improve without the slight rock back, or to learn how to do the swinging motion in the first place?

My OHP improved pretty well on johnny canditos intermediate program.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If I had time I'd be eating proper food, this is for when I don't.

Also, I want minimum calories for the protein, I'm very much not trying to bulk (I'm an endurance athlete).
The latest craze is Fizzique or something check that out. The only one I like is a white stainless steel bottle it is in refrigerator section sorry forgot brand it's in choc, vanilla and coffee

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Ah Rumble damn I had to Google white bottles lol. I like Rumble.

But yeah for just a sparkling water flavour Fizzique is the thing right now. Doesn't taste chalky at all.