• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
im glad yesterday was my rest day because i was super tired so i went to sleep 3 hours early. today feeling refreshed.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here use those green superfood powders? I've been increasing my daily diet of vegetables, but I honestly have trouble meeting the daily recommended fiber amount (38 g for me). And so I was thinking of a different way to supplement the micronutrients I might be missing out on. I don't drink smoothies yet but I'm thinking of getting a blender.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Does anyone here use those green superfood powders? I've been increasing my daily diet of vegetables, but I honestly have trouble meeting the daily recommended fiber amount (38 g for me). And so I was thinking of a different way to supplement the micronutrients I might be missing out on. I don't drink smoothies yet but I'm thinking of getting a blender.
May as well I say it's basically like a good quality multivitamin hell you may piss out 90% but I'll still take that 10 . I eat a ton of salads but rarely get time to cook veggies so i use progressive vege greens and I find them pretty good. I don't know if you need algae or beetroot or any of it but like I said I'll take even a small dose of goodness. One thing I will say though is with most supplements be critical of the serving size remember they want you to use it up but if one scoop a day instead of 3 will do I go that route .

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

If you're just looking for more fiber, there are protein bars with 20grams of fiber in them like quest bars. There are also wheat tortillas with 15+ grams in them.

Beans, grains, and fruit also have good fiber numbers in them.

Oct 30, 2017
175x3 on ohp today, not bad, slept like 5 hours but feeling good.

Got a rogue 2.0 bar today as well, my first nice standard barbell. I've been using my cheapo Cap bar for years. Can't wait to try it out.

Oct 30, 2017
Just took delivery of some new Olympic plate rubber weights as I'd outgrown the ones I have...Yay me.

Downside two of them are stuck together. Any tips on separating them?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Over time your body will adjust your metabolism to basically survive. It's likely that your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) is next to nothing because of how low your intake is.

I'd argue you need to spend some time at higher calorie levels to fix that. I understand the psychological fear of gaining weight, but adding in some calories will do wonders to improve your strength / physique.

Euhhhhhhhhh metabolism slowdown is under 10% in studies Ive read. Actually 4% . More likely is that your calorie intake is actually higher, or you're in the newbie recomp stage.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
NEAT isn't just down to metabolism though. There's more to it than that.

Either way, it doesn't matter... they could still stand to eat more.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
In the market for a barbell as my existing one is just a training one that I used to get started.

The supports on my squat rack are 110cm apart, so I need something that will sit wider than that, but I'm worried that a 7 foot barbell won't fit in the space I have inside the house. How do I find out the internal dimensions of shorter barbells (5 or 6 foot) before I order online?

The other question I have is - standard or Olympic? I'm only a beginner and recognise that I may need to upgrade in a year or two anyway.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I've started cutting again, but I overdid it. I benched 10kg less than 2 weeks earlier, I just didnt have it in me. So I've upped it to around 2000kcal a day, my tdee is around 2200 so with a workout 5 days a week I should have a good deficit.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I've started cutting again, but I overdid it. I benched 10kg less than 2 weeks earlier, I just didnt have it in me. So I've upped it to around 2000kcal a day, my tdee is around 2200 so with a workout 5 days a week I should have a good deficit.

I did the same thing, Squat is down 15 lbs since mid january, i thought i was on a pretty small deficit but apparently i can eat more.

Oct 25, 2017
For this program, you're supposed to keep your heart rate 120-150--you're working on cardiac hypertrophy above all else. So on the rower (they don't have a hr sensor, unlike the other two machines) I keep it at 3 minutes per 500 meters. I can do that with my mouth closed for the whole time, so it should fine for the heart rate.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, after years of complaining how everybody else gets to stay slim while I'm fat af, I finally kicked myself in the ass and went to the gym for the first time ever.
This Tuesday I'll have a meeting with a coach and then hopefully I'll start feeling better about myself.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So, after years of complaining how everybody else gets to stay slim while I'm fat af, I finally kicked myself in the ass and went to the gym for the first time ever.
This Tuesday I'll have a meeting with a coach and then hopefully I'll start feeling better about myself.

Enjoy your road to fitness!

tenor.gif

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hit 225 on bench, I know this isn't much but this is something been chasing since high school. Now the road to 315 begins

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
How many reps at 225?

I remember hitting a wall when I was trying to bench 180 and I just hit 300 last week

Oct 30, 2017
So last week at the gym bench pressing I did 9 Sets of 4 reps every minute on the minute and managed it seemingly fine (from what I can remember.

Today - I was supposed to do 10 sets of 4 in my new home gym. Yet using my own new plates everything seemed heavier/harder. and I had to drop the weight on Set 7 by 10lbs just to finish my Sets.

Could there be a slight difference between casting of the weights of those at the gym vs those at home? Or purely psychological?

Was rather frustrating

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So last week at the gym bench pressing I did 9 Sets of 4 reps every minute on the minute and managed it seemingly fine (from what I can remember.

Today - I was supposed to do 10 sets of 4 in my new home gym. Yet using my own new plates everything seemed heavier/harder. and I had to drop the weight on Set 7 by 10lbs just to finish my Sets.

Could there be a slight difference between casting of the weights of those at the gym vs those at home? Or purely psychological?

Was rather frustrating

It could be a bit of both. I've seen a video on Alan Thralls channel about weights not being exact, and sometimes you can have days where you just aren't feeling it.

I've seen a video where a guy's normal squat rack that he usually works out in was taken, so he went to a different one but wasn't feeling it, and waited until his usual rack was free and re-warmed up and started using that one because he said the different rack was messing up his concentration.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I weighed my weights and they're ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I actually threw a few out because they were so far out.

Oct 30, 2017

Was rather frustrating

They will not be the same as the gym, iron plates are literally all over the place but most of mine ended up weighing decent close to another to match. I took a food scale and started weighing my weights out and even marked them with a sticker on the actual weights. Then I got lucky and ended up getting 550+ lbs of competition bumper plates which are +-10grams.

I used iron plates for years and still do on deadlift. They work fine but weigh them to feel comfy.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I did a session of sumo deadlifts on Friday morning and today (Tuesday), I'm getting soreness in my lower back, right at the top of my hips. I started very light, but since I finished on an AMRAP set, I did a lot of reps (30) before I stopped.

Is this typical? Is it just fatigue from doing so many reps? I'm very iffy on deadlifts to begin with, so I worry that I'll do myself long term harm if I keep this up. I wonder if I should just go back to hip thrusts.

Back squats I'm more bullish on now. I went to a personal trainer to look at my technique and he showed me a few tricks to fix my form and do them safely.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
I did a session of sumo deadlifts on Friday morning and today (Tuesday), I'm getting soreness in my lower back, right at the top of my hips. I started very light, but since I finished on an AMRAP set, I did a lot of reps (30) before I stopped.

Is this typical? Is it just fatigue from doing so many reps? I'm very iffy on deadlifts to begin with, so I worry that I'll do myself long term harm if I keep this up. I wonder if I should just go back to hip thrusts.

Back squats I'm more bullish on now. I went to a personal trainer to look at my technique and he showed me a few tricks to fix my form and do them safely.
Its probably normal fatique. Usually for really hard sessions or a session that is a big change from what I have been doing tend to have longer lasting aches and DOMS. I have had DOMS from a volume session last upto 5 days especially if most of my training recently was not volume orientated.

Oct 30, 2017
I switched to sumo deadlifts for the first time in 5 or so years, it was easy at first but the working sets kinda killed me. Its so much easier on my position than normal deadlifts that i want to give it a full 351 session to see how it feels at the end. Got 355x3 today, not too bad. Still so far away from my old bests.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Went to the gym at 6.30am this morning instead of after work, seeing how empty it was be like:

tenor.gif

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Its probably normal fatique. Usually for really hard sessions or a session that is a big change from what I have been doing tend to have longer lasting aches and DOMS. I have had DOMS from a volume session last upto 5 days especially if most of my training recently was not volume orientated.
You know what? I think you're right. It disappears after I stretch and warm up just like regular DOMS. I'm still going to approach deadlifts nervously, but I'm less worried now.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's been interested in healthy cereal but don't like how bland/flavorless they are, i just added some dark chocolate covered raisins to a bowl and it made it taste really good.

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
Weird day today where squat PR went up but everything else afterwards fell apart hah. I guess sometimes it do be like that.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I stupidly forgot my lunch at home when I left for work, not noticing until I was getting out of my car and reaching for what wasn't there. Strangely, aside from some minor hunger pangs throughout the workday, I seemed to get through just fine. Even stranger, when I went to the gym after work, having by then not eaten for ten hours, I put in what to this point has been my fastest swim. Now I'm wondering if maybe skipping lunch every day might be beneficial.