• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
I know the full body routines in the OP says beginner, but do you advance lifters use the program, too?

I need a new program. Doing PPLx2 six days a week I feel is killing Much joints in the arms and shoulders. I want to do a four day program: upper, upper, lower, lower. I sometimes do chest and back, and I love the pump working the two major muscle groups. On lower day I can incorporate OHP.

Other than that i could find a four day full body routine. One day could be like squats, bench, and pull-ups.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I know the full body routines in the OP says beginner, but do you advance lifters use the program, too?

I need a new program. Doing PPLx2 six days a week I feel is killing Much joints in the arms and shoulders. I want to do a four day program: upper, upper, lower, lower. I sometimes do chest and back, and I love the pump working the two major muscle groups. On lower day I can incorporate OHP.

Other than that i could find a four day full body routine. One day could be like squats, bench, and pull-ups.

I do the Johnny Candito intermediate program, its 5 days a week for Weeks 1&2, 4 days a week for weeks 3&4, and 3 days a week for Week 5.

The upper body days are Horizontal Press/Pull (Bench/Row) and Vertical Press/Pull (Overhead Press/pull ups), the lower body days are squats and deadlifts, the program allows isolation lifts if you want. I like it because it makes my numbers go up and its very simple.

Oct 30, 2017
I stick with 351 4 day split, and came up with a body building routine for accessories after thats done. The meat and potatoes are the main lifts, accessories are mostly vanity lifts and things that help the big 4. It's a 8 day split for accessories, and I superset most of them to get them done quick.

I'm just lifting for health, not competing or anything, so I have no real goal. My upper body lifts are strongest ever in my adult life now at almost 41 years old. Must be doing something right. I'm sure if I was more focused on a goal I'd be even stronger, but again, this is all just to stay strong and healthy.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
February was a failure of a month in regards to dieting on my end but I have found the balance now so I'm on my way to steady weight loss.
Aiming to drop ~8KG / ~18 pounds over the next couple of months.

After having not exercised strength for ~2.5 years I started the beginner program detailed in the OP in mid-January. Once I reached an Ok 'basis' level I decided to temporary stay there instead of pushing for higher and higher weights as I have been focusing on technique and applying the lessons from the Starting Strength book. The book can be a bit preachy sometimes drowning in its own vocabulary and particular technicalities but there's great lessons and techniques throughout. How I handle breathing and callus prevention has improved. The squat is likely my most changed exercise (which was quite uncomfortable in the first session or two with lower placement of barbell) perhaps followed up with fine-tuning of the power clean. It's re-assuring to know what's acceptable and not i.e. in bench-press the mentality should be for the bar to just lightly touch your t-shirt, a spotter-touched lift doesn't count and so forth.

Going forward I'm going to keep gradually increasing the weights though I will be held back by an aggressive diet. But once that is dealt with it (May) then I will be able to really start working towards new personal records.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new job that will have me working out three days a week instead of four. I tried switching to 531 Building the Monolith, but good God is it boring. I also don't like taking up a rack for literally 10 sets.

I may just go back to 531 BBB, which I was doing before. Or maybe some first set last stuff, since bulking season is coming to an end.

Thoughts?

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Been hitting the gym hard lately and seeing results. Feels pretty dsmn good. I need to get a good journal to track my volume.

Pen and paper the best option or are there some good apps?

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Is MyFitnessPal running like complete garbage for anyone else lately? Laggy as fuck and it sometimes logs entries twice.
I'm on Android for what it's worth.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I stupidly forgot my lunch at home when I left for work, not noticing until I was getting out of my car and reaching for what wasn't there. Strangely, aside from some minor hunger pangs throughout the workday, I seemed to get through just fine. Even stranger, when I went to the gym after work, having by then not eaten for ten hours, I put in what to this point has been my fastest swim. Now I'm wondering if maybe skipping lunch every day might be beneficial.
Since starting intermittent fasting about 6 months ago I haven't noticed any difference between fasted or unfasted workouts . Even when I work out at the 16 hour fast mark quickly before lunch. Full heavy sets or whatever.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've severely plateaued with all my weights. How do I break it? I'm about 205 pounds.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Edit---

Based on new information I learned I concluded it's best I don't leave this post up.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I think we need to do a ton more research on it. There's an argument that being on testosterone blockers will level the playing field, but then I've seen research recently that shows steroid use 10 YEARS ago still gives advantages today to lifters.

So.. uhh... yeah.

water_tempo

Oct 31, 2017
I hope someone can take the time to help me out. I tend to get overwhelmed looking up things I should be doing, how often, how many reps, how long, etc. I just need a stupid simple breakdown for my issues.

I have some flexibility/posture issues I really want to address. From the top down, here is what is going on:
  • Head sticks forward
  • Whatever the muscle is that connects the shoulder to the neck is really tight
    • If i stand up against a wall and try to slide my arms above my head, my elbows have to come away from the wall when they hit 90degrees and I really feel the tightness whatever that muscle is
  • Shoulders are rounded forward
  • Chest is incredibly tight
    • If I try to do my arms in a circle I can barely make my arms back to my torso before it feels like my chest muscles prevent my arms from going backward
  • Pelvic tilt (the butt sticks out kind)
  • Hip flexors are really tight
  • Hamstrings are laughably tight
    • If I try to sit on the ground with my legs out, I can't sit on my butt. I end up on my lower back. If I try to keep my back straight and touch my toes, I can barely get to a 45 degree angle before I can really feel the hamstrings pull

I saw this video posted in a separate thread a while back and have been trying to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwTC-lAJws to work on the head and shoulders, but I am at a loss for everything else and just really want some help.

Rhodo

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
This has been bbys first serious gym experience. I'm really liking weightlifting and just started c25k, hoping the weight stuff will help out with it. Anyone got some good slow/pressure cooker recipes that they ride/die for?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to lose weight without losing fitness? All I have read about losing weight without losing 'fitness' is 'avoid cardio!'. As a cyclist, obviously I don't want to lose cardio either!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I replied in the other thread, this is very much cycling related rather than fitness in general (at lot of the answers you get here will be geared more to body composition).

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a friendly heads up, but you need to tread lightly if you want to have discussions about MTF trans athletes on this forum.

Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately.

It's probably safe to just expect a ban if you express any kind of skepticism, so post accordingly.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone have a good three-day routine for mass building? I am roughly 205 pounds, 6'3" with a 33 inch waist. I have a max bench of 315, 405 squat, and 495 deadlift. I wanted to give my attributes to give an idea of my baseline. I am hoping to gain about 10 pounds of muscle by summer.

Any tips? I've tried a few routines but I haven't liked their workload.

Also, I am taking a break from deadlifting because my sciatica (damn baseball) is acting up.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I hope someone can take the time to help me out. I tend to get overwhelmed looking up things I should be doing, how often, how many reps, how long, etc. I just need a stupid simple breakdown for my issues.

I have some flexibility/posture issues I really want to address. From the top down, here is what is going on:
  • Head sticks forward
  • Whatever the muscle is that connects the shoulder to the neck is really tight
    • If i stand up against a wall and try to slide my arms above my head, my elbows have to come away from the wall when they hit 90degrees and I really feel the tightness whatever that muscle is
  • Shoulders are rounded forward
  • Chest is incredibly tight
    • If I try to do my arms in a circle I can barely make my arms back to my torso before it feels like my chest muscles prevent my arms from going backward
  • Pelvic tilt (the butt sticks out kind)
  • Hip flexors are really tight
  • Hamstrings are laughably tight
    • If I try to sit on the ground with my legs out, I can't sit on my butt. I end up on my lower back. If I try to keep my back straight and touch my toes, I can barely get to a 45 degree angle before I can really feel the hamstrings pull

I saw this video posted in a separate thread a while back and have been trying to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwTC-lAJws to work on the head and shoulders, but I am at a loss for everything else and just really want some help.
Some significant issues but very common. Physio would be best , yoga second best . Stretching comes in about third . And for workouts many people get that chest from working out mirror muscles while neglecting back , rear delts, core .
I did physio already for those issues so I can tell you that the lordotic curve is often tight hams and hip flexors . If you do tons of squats your hip flexors will pull your hips forward and arch your back .... core work is needed to balance . Man with the onset of everyone doing deads and squats these days I see tons of people walking around with that curve in their spine. Mines genetic.

Oct 25, 2017
Did a two hour jog last night. Feeling very worn down today, but my 5 weeks of long distance cardio work are done. Now for 3 weeks of sprints.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started deadlifting next to a mirror and i realized that i cant get into the starting position without my back bending. This is a problem regardless of normal or sumo stance.

I already have a stretching routine including hamstrings, anyone have any advice? I put a plate underneath each side of the barbell to lift it up and this put the barbell just below mid shin, and i was able to keep my back straight, but i feel like im cheating and dont want to miss out on gains since its such an important lift.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I recently started deadlifting next to a mirror and i realized that i cant get into the starting position without my back bending. This is a problem regardless of normal or sumo stance.

I already have a stretching routine including hamstrings, anyone have any advice? I put a plate underneath each side of the barbell to lift it up and this put the barbell just below mid shin, and i was able to keep my back straight, but i feel like im cheating and dont want to miss out on gains since its such an important lift.

Are you using 45lb plates yet? If not, you actually need to raise the bar to a normal position.

If that's not the issue, just make sure you're looking at a spot 6-10 feet in front of you and keep your chest up.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using 45lb plates yet? If not, you actually need to raise the bar to a normal position.

If that's not the issue, just make sure you're looking at a spot 6-10 feet in front of you and keep your chest up.

Yes im using 45 lb plates, i was wondering if they're shorter than the average plate but its hard to eye ball it.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, since it was such a nice day out I thought I'd go for a run and discovered that despite getting better at swimming and lifting at the gym, I still really can't run at all. The last time I made any concerted effort to regularly run was almost four years ago. Even then, when I got to the best I guess I was going to get, I was only running maybe 40% and walking the rest, for a dismal effort of about 6.5 miles in about one hour and a few minutes. (Though in my defense, my neighborhood has some rather significant hills.)

Despite having been at swimming for nearly a year and regular lifting since last October, I just felt like crap when I tried to run today. I suppose I could have used a bit more stretching than none at all, but I could never really keep up a sprint for more than a minute at a time. By the end I only did about 2.7 miles in 40 minutes. I would have hoped that all my work at swimming would have made me better at this, but I kept finding myself out of breath.

Edit: My terrible Fitbit statistics:

sHqRNLD.jpg

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Some of us just can't run, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm comically fit by most people's standards, but my obese friend could easily outlast me if we went out for a jog.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, since it was such a nice day out I thought I'd go for a run and discovered that despite getting better at swimming and lifting at the gym, I still really can't run at all. The last time I made any concerted effort to regularly run was almost four years ago. Even then, when I got to the best I guess I was going to get, I was only running maybe 40% and walking the rest, for a dismal effort of about 6.5 miles in about one hour and a few minutes. (Though in my defense, my neighborhood has some rather significant hills.)

Despite having been at swimming for nearly a year and regular lifting since last October, I just felt like crap when I tried to run today. I suppose I could have used a bit more stretching than none at all, but I could never really keep up a sprint for more than a minute at a time. By the end I only did about 2.7 miles in 40 minutes. I would have hoped that all my work at swimming would have made me better at this, but I kept finding myself out of breath.

Edit: My terrible Fitbit statistics:

sHqRNLD.jpg
I'm not sure I understand this post. Being able to sprint for a minute would be far better than most people who exercise a lot can do. And if you are running/walking 40/60 and covering 6.5 miles in one hour, that's very legit.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I understand this post. Being able to sprint for a minute would be far better than most people who exercise a lot can do. And if you are running/walking 40/60 and covering 6.5 miles in one hour, that's very legit.
Well, that was a few years ago. I tried it again today for the first time since then and failed spectacularly, despite getting better in the swimming and lifting areas in the meantime.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was a few years ago. I tried it again today for the first time since then and failed spectacularly, despite getting better in the swimming and lifting areas in the meantime.
I misread, then.

But lifting won't help you with running at all. To increase your aerobic level you need 30 consecutive minutes with your heart rate in a specific range, preferably 3+ days a week, for multiple weeks. Swimming can get you there, but not lifting.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What do you folks do when you're sore ? I started 3 weeks ago, hit the gym twice a week (usually tuesday and saturday) and i feel like I'm sore all the time.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
What do you folks do when you're sore ? I started 3 weeks ago, hit the gym twice a week (usually tuesday and saturday) and i feel like I'm sore all the time.
It'll pass. Just make sure you get plenty of food and rest.

I bought a foam roller for home, which is also a good way to massage some sore muscles.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

If possible, I would highly recommend adding an additional lift day into your routine, i only get sore following a deload week because my body is used to lifting 3+ days a week.

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to what the other people said, keep in mind you're still at the starting line. I think you'll be shocked at how much your physical condition will improve, say, a year from now. (Meaning, what feels difficult now, makes you sore, etc will seem easy down the road if you keep at it.)

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've severely plateaued with all my weights. How do I break it? I'm about 205 pounds.
Assuming you're not already, actually plan out your workouts with proper programming.
Zack Telander has a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMX9GgIMbxY -- I'm sure there's other resources too.

You can also try moving to a more advanced program. I'm currently on Layne Norton's PHAT, which is giving me good results -- http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-...ll-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Just hit 255 bench @ 154 BW today after plateauing at 225 for months.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018

Unfortunately, running is one of those things that you just have to keep doing to get better at. I wouldn't worry about walking every now and then, I've run several marathons and have walked in all of my long runs. Lifting will help with leg strength, form and avoiding injury but unfortunately for stamina, it's just something you have to hammer away at. Maybe try some cycling sprints if you get bored with running.

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Assuming you're not already, actually plan out your workouts with proper programming.
Zack Telander has a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMX9GgIMbxY -- I'm sure there's other resources too.

You can also try moving to a more advanced program. I'm currently on Layne Norton's PHAT, which is giving me good results -- http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-...ll-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Just hit 255 bench @ 154 BW today after plateauing at 225 for months.
Thanks for this!

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Periodize your training. Make scheduled and planned changes in your training. ie spend some time working on different rep ranges and focusing in on weak muscle groups. Like I am not doing much chest work right now in favor of more shoulder and tricep volume sine I am trying to improve my overhead lifts more than my Bench variations, but when I switch to wanting to bring my bench up I will bring in more chest focused work and change my tricep variations to feed my bench more.

I also use all rep ranges in my training, just at different points/times, do some 10s for a few weeks, then some 8s for a few weeks, then some 5s, 3s, etc... working all the way down to 1 week of some heavy singles and then do it all over again with more weight than the last time.

The more you do get used to training the less sore. I usually feel better once I start warming up again. Even if you do want to do a full workout more than 2 times a week, try having a morning routine of light exercise to warm up for the day.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/arti...oldtime-strongmans-15-minute-morning-routine/

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hello hi, fitness era. First post here with a general question. Does anybody here use battle ropes? Would you recommend them for gaining muscle mass or would just keeping to a lifting program be a better use of time and energy?

I've been thinking of getting one for my garage since I'm getting a little bored with my usual workout routine and battle ropes look like fun.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently they're one of the best calorie burning exercises. I doubt they're particularly good for building muscle though.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't want to post the IG video because of too many dumb hashtags

475# felt okay. Probably could have forced 480 but I'm okay with this. I'll try for 5 plates on my birthday in May

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they're one of the best calorie burning exercises. I doubt they're particularly good for building muscle though.
At best, battle ropes are unnecessary, imo. And they won't build muscle. Better to find a good program and stick to it.

Ah, I see. I've read around and heard that different rope diameters are used for different goals/purposes. 1.5" for cardio and 2"+ can build muscle?

in the time between my last post and reading your posts I kinda already went ahead and ordered on from amazon. lol I guess we'll see. Worst case scenario it'll be a gimmick that I can try for a bit.