• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Ah, I see. I've read around and heard that different rope diameters are used for different goals/purposes. 1.5" for cardio and 2"+ can build muscle?

in the time between my last post and reading your posts I kinda already went ahead and ordered on from amazon. lol I guess we'll see. Worst case scenario it'll be a gimmick that I can try for a bit.

They're an interesting way to keep your heart rate up during circuits. I like them for a bit of variety. Can't say for muscle building or whatever though.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
sigh going on vacay beachie location in 5 weeks, need to cut the fat
Don't worry, whaling is largely frowned upon these days!

Sorry!

Vaguely related, I need to drop the weight a bit as I'm going to the US in a couple of weeks, and I know there's no fucking way I'm keeping the weight off when I'm over there.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Fit Era, I'm looking for bluetooth over-ear headphones for the gym in the 60-100€ price range. Do you have any recommendations ?

Should have a good sound, fit nicely during a run and be comfortable for about 2 hours.

Thanks!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Sennheiser has good headphones in the $100-$150 range. Mine were $130 and sound great, very comfortable, and have like a 20 hour battery life.

Hey Fit Era, I'm looking for bluetooth over-ear headphones for the gym in the 60-100€ price range. Do you have any recommendations ?

Should have a good sound, fit nicely during a run and be comfortable for about 2 hours.

Thanks!

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This topic was raised briefly the other day. The Science of Sport website tries to look at it from an analytical perspective here: https://sportsscientists.com/2019/03/on-transgender-athletes-and-performance-advantages

Note, I haven't read it yet so I have zero opinion on its findings. I do know that the articles on this site are usually fantastic from a sports science perspective though.

ehhh... Ive read through it. It throws up a few incredibly far fetched "issues". Like he brings up that allowing MTF women to enter certain sports women's competition would make women "dissapear" from the sport. Thats a ridiculous strawman and made me stop reading. I mean how many pro MTF women rugby players are there. Seriously , he brings that up as a point.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to share a thought. This is especially relevant for those of us who run outdoors rather than on treadmills, but it can apply to both:

Consider increasing your cadence and maintaining it with music at a set BPM. A BPM which may not initially feel natural for you. It may not look as impressive when you're taking smaller tippy-tap steps compared to what may be your regular bounding leaps, but for me personally it didn't only make me much less prone to stress injuries; it also made me significantly faster.

So instead of overstepping, plodding, and having shin pains or excessive calf DOMS at least once every other week, I can run for as long as I like, multiple times per week, faster and completely trouble-free.

Also: Even though you may be tall, don't avoid the somwhat higher cadences. Leg length does limit your cadence somewhat, but not nearly as much as some say (in my experience). I'm 193+ cm / 6'4"+ and I had no issues setting my BPM to 180 and progressing from there. Sure; it means my steps will be proportionally smaller because I have more leg to swing around than someone a foot shorter, but if it makes me faster and injury-free I don't care what it looks like.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
ehhh... Ive read through it. It throws up a few incredibly far fetched "issues". Like he brings up that allowing MTF women to enter certain sports women's competition would make women "dissapear" from the sport. Thats a ridiculous strawman and made me stop reading. I mean how many pro MTF women rugby players are there. Seriously , he brings that up as a point.

I think it was a little more nuanced than that. The point being made was that if you just allowed gender self-determination with no thought to limiting testosterone levels then you could potentially have that happen. It was specifically in relation to that rapper self declaring as female and "beating" the women's deadlift record.

It's not going to happen, because most professional sports federations are now implementing rules on testosterone / how long after transitioning you can compete anyway.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I think it was a little more nuanced than that. The point being made was that if you just allowed gender self-determination with no thought to limiting testosterone levels then you could potentially have that happen. It was specifically in relation to that rapper self declaring as female and "beating" the women's deadlift record.

It's not going to happen, because most professional sports federations are now implementing rules on testosterone / how long after transitioning you can compete anyway.

It couldnt happen though. Its fear mongering. There is not going to be a flood of mtf athletes if they can self identify. Its ridiculous. There is also the research that keeps getting posted about mtf athletes performances compared to female and male, and while the outliers are above cis women, the difference wasnt that big. Especially in the 2nd and 3rd quartile. I get the urge to provide Some sort of rule to keep things fair, but the "problem" is not worth the discussion.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, though obviously sports federations will be covering themselves legally in the mean time, which is why a lot of this discussion is ongoing.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Do people here actually see results from pre workout supplements? My pt suggested them..
Caffeine for energy and L-Arginine for pump is what I do.
You can get both as generic non-workout pills on Amazon for cheap.

I also make a shitty fruit punch with gatorade, BCAA powder, and creatine powder that I drink throughout the workout.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I made my own, haven't used it in ages. All the ones that actually did something have been banned.

There are only a few ingredients proven to have any meaningful affect (creatine, beta alanine, caffeine and a couple of others)

Oct 30, 2017
I don't use any pre workout at all, in fact most of them are loaded with carbs, so no thanks. I just have a cup of coffee and I'm usually good to go.

So I got a Smith machine, I wanted something low footprint, so I found a pro form c800, with matching adjustable bench, 350lbs of Olympic weights, for 100 bucks. I'll sell the weights and bench for 200 or so easily, so not bad, getting paid to buy new equipment. Wife wants to do more workout stuff but hates an actual barbell. Plus I can use it for less press, calves, glute work, etc.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Do people here actually see results from pre workout supplements? My pt suggested them..

Literally came in here to recommend a new one I just started on. Different people are affected differently by different ones but I switched from Pre-Kaged (which I had been taking for about 1.5 years) to this shit: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/evlution-nutrition/engn.html

Absolutely love it. The pineapple flavor is fire. Pre-Kaged was working fine but this was on a BOGO sale and so far it seems to get me going a bit more. The pumps are awesome.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm running 5/3/1 using the 2nd edition ebook (I'd have liked to have bought Forever, but it is only available as a physical book off Jim Wendler's website and shipping to Australia is absolute murder) at the moment and I'm doing the Periodization Bible assistance work in my home gym.

The question I have is on glute-ham raises and back raises. I have a curl bar extension for my bench at home, which I've tried to adapt to the movements, but it's just not activating the right muscles. Alternatively, each time I try to do good mornings, I feel like I'm not getting low enough that anything is really happening (super tight hip flexors).

Anyone got any tips for lower back exercises? Making my back strong is half the reason I got into lifting in the first place, so I want the assistance work on squat and deadlift days to, you know, assist with that.

I did sumo squats and sumo deadlifts this month, by the way, and these are so much better for me than conventional. I've always had weird hip flexor issues that made me prone to injuring myself on conventional stances, but I've never had an issue (say) sitting in a full lotus yoga position comfortably. It's honestly like night and day.

Oct 30, 2017
Hit 180x2 on overhead press. Been watching videos on how to do stuff on the Smith, it's really a great tool for glutes it seems. Looking most forward to calves and even using for a leg press.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm running 5/3/1 using the 2nd edition ebook (I'd have liked to have bought Forever, but it is only available as a physical book off Jim Wendler's website and shipping to Australia is absolute murder) at the moment and I'm doing the Periodization Bible assistance work in my home gym.

The question I have is on glute-ham raises and back raises. I have a curl bar extension for my bench at home, which I've tried to adapt to the movements, but it's just not activating the right muscles. Alternatively, each time I try to do good mornings, I feel like I'm not getting low enough that anything is really happening (super tight hip flexors).

Anyone got any tips for lower back exercises? Making my back strong is half the reason I got into lifting in the first place, so I want the assistance work on squat and deadlift days to, you know, assist with that.

I did sumo squats and sumo deadlifts this month, by the way, and these are so much better for me than conventional. I've always had weird hip flexor issues that made me prone to injuring myself on conventional stances, but I've never had an issue (say) sitting in a full lotus yoga position comfortably. It's honestly like night and day.
Try using an ab roller. It's not very suitable for progressive overload because you can only work with rep count, but I've always found that it hits the lower back way more than the abs. You can also try adding Romanian deadlifts (not stiff leg -- see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEVqa4C0yg) with light weight into your routine.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Red dots on my face again. It happens very rarely but when it does it happens after doing deadlifts. That or the sun baked my skin. i did and still have skin issue lol

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Try using an ab roller. It's not very suitable for progressive overload because you can only work with rep count, but I've always found that it hits the lower back way more than the abs. You can also try adding Romanian deadlifts (not stiff leg -- see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEVqa4C0yg) with light weight into your routine.
Thanks for the response. Some of the recommendations in the book assume access to a lot of equipment I don't have.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi FitEra,

So as I've stated, I've started going to the gym for almost a month now and I actually like it!
I'm currently doing 2 times a week by following what the coach told me to do (it's a mix between weights and cardio) and when I can, I go a third or even fourth time for some lighter cardio.

Unfortunately there are some weeks where I'd like to go for the third session, but simply can't. Is there a good full body workout I can do at home? Something a bit lighter than what I'd do normally at the gym since I'm still not very fit, and that I could do in like half an hour.
I could buy some small weights if need be,
Thanks!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hi FitEra,

So as I've stated, I've started going to the gym for almost a month now and I actually like it!
I'm currently doing 2 times a week by following what the coach told me to do (it's a mix between weights and cardio) and when I can, I go a third or even fourth time for some lighter cardio.

Unfortunately there are some weeks where I'd like to go for the third session, but simply can't. Is there a good full body workout I can do at home? Something a bit lighter than what I'd do normally at the gym since I'm still not very fit, and that I could do in like half an hour.
I could buy some small weights if need be,
Thanks!

Theres lots of body weight exercises you can do. Push ups and pull ups work your chest, delts, triceps, lats, and biceps. Thats most of your upper body right there.

Lots of videos on youtube for leg workouts. Alot of lunge/squat/hip thrust type workouts.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
lets talk about consumption of kale and spinach daily. how do people eat veggie on the daily and not shit all the time. im going to go back and limit greens because this is exhausting.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here dealt with knee issues before?
I did "something" to one of my knees while wrestling with my son and its a zero issue UNLESS I squat into the 200s.
Then all of a sudden it hurts/ there is pressure.

Any alternatives I could do or just push through it?
I went this morning and I was totally lost, aimlessly wandering around because my program starts with squats.
Maybe I should just focus on bicepts curls from now on. NOTHING ELSE.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here dealt with knee issues before?
I did "something" to one of my knees while wrestling with my son and its a zero issue UNLESS I squat into the 200s.
Then all of a sudden it hurts/ there is pressure.

Any alternatives I could do or just push through it?
I went this morning and I was totally lost, aimlessly wandering around because my program starts with squats.
Maybe I should just focus on bicepts curls from now on. NOTHING ELSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZsE_TTrQBA

Jeff also has knee pain during squats, so he has a bunch of videos about this type of thing.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Is a cable machine only training doable?

I've been hitting the gym for two months now and I just tried cables. I realised that I really enjoy it and do waaaaay more exercise.

Having a cable centric training makes sense? ( of course I'll still do some exercises without it)

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

I've been hitting the gym for two months now and I just tried cables. I realised that I really enjoy it and do waaaaay more exercise.

Having a cable centric training makes sense? ( of course I'll still do some exercises without it)
Cable training is great for low weight ranges because of of the consistent force at all ranges of motion.
So it's great for bodybuilding accessories that target single muscles, but because you can't do heavy compounds, a cable-centric regimen is going to be very inefficient.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Cable only training>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No weight training
Dumbbell only training>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No weight training
Barbell only training>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No weight training
Bodyweight only training>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No weight training
Band only training>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>No weight training

I'd personally recommend using the mainlifts as a foundation for your program (Squat, Deadlift, Bench press, Overhead press), but you do whatever you're comfortable with. If cable training makes you happy, go for it. But keep in mind you'll likely plateau and will need the assistance of barbell training to break through it.

Oct 30, 2017
Took apart the Smith machine, painted everything silver to black, replaced all the rusted nuts and bolts, cleaned everything top to bottom and put it back together better than new. Just need to oil up the poles the barbell is on to finish it up. Nice addition to the setup. Wife is super psyched to use it. All those damn Instagram models use the Smith so much, really wanted one for her.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the OP, the suggested beginner program has these 2 lines for Wednesday and Friday respectively:

"Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)"

"Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)"

I'm wondering if you're supposed to do one of the suggested exercises in the parentheses, or all/as many of the as possible?

Also curious if there's a good alternative to Power Cleans, as I've never felt comfortable about that kind of weightlift

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Also curious if there's a good alternative to Power Cleans, as I've never felt comfortable about that kind of weightlift
Power cleans and any sort of Olympic movement should not be learned without a coach or trainer tbh, as they're very complex lifts that a YouTube video isn't going to teach you.

If you want to hit the same muscles, you can do deadlift, upright row, and front squat. Substitute the barbell with a kettlebell in the front squat if you have issues keeping upright with high weight or have wrist mobility issues.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, my first post here. I'm 37 this year and I've always been pretty fat. Lost a lot of weight when I was 29/30 by changing my diet and doing a lot of cycling but I didn't maintain it and all the weight soon went back on. Anyway, I feel it's time to try again and there's a pretty decent outdoor gym that I've discovered not far from home. I am mostly interested in doing the weights (it's one of those devices with a hinge and lyou lift your own body) but I don't know the best way to do it; ie number of reps I should be doing, how long should I pause for, how long to spend on each piece of equipment, and so on. I went tonight and did 3 sets on each for as long as I could before I needed to rest. Not a lot but it felt like a good start. If anyone has any tips or can direct me to a website with a starter's routine I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hey everyone, my first post here. I'm 37 this year and I've always been pretty fat. Lost a lot of weight when I was 29/30 by changing my diet and doing a lot of cycling but I didn't maintain it and all the weight soon went back on. Anyway, I feel it's time to try again and there's a pretty decent outdoor gym that I've discovered not far from home. I am mostly interested in doing the weights (it's one of those devices with a hinge and lyou lift your own body) but I don't know the best way to do it; ie number of reps I should be doing, how long should I pause for, how long to spend on each piece of equipment, and so on. I went tonight and did 3 sets on each for as long as I could before I needed to rest. Not a lot but it felt like a good start. If anyone has any tips or can direct me to a website with a starter's routine I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Highly suggest Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength routines, both of which are linked in the OP.
I have a buddy who was 300+ lb when he first stepped foot in the gym (about same age as you) and couldn't squat the bar, but stuck with Starting Strength.
5 years later he now overhead presses 225 lbs.

As a newbie, you should try to utilize barbell and free weight training whenever possible, as compound movements will help you build a better base than isolation movements and machines.

Oct 27, 2017
Highly suggest Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength routines, both of which are linked in the OP.
I have a buddy who was 300+ lb when he first stepped foot in the gym (about same age as you) and couldn't squat the bar, but stuck with Starting Strength.
5 years later he now overhead presses 225 lbs.

As a newbie, you should try to utilize barbell and free weight training whenever possible, as compound movements will help you build a better base than isolation movements and machines.

I don't know what most of those words mean, but I will check the link in the OP! Thanks for replying.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some advice. I want to improve my bench press and I'm not sure if I'm doing incorrect form or what. I don't think it's likely as I do workout with a friend from time to time and get him to point out if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'm benching about a plate right now, which is great and all, but my squats are getting close to 3 plates for a one rep max, and I'm doing like 3.5 plates when deadlifting with some strap assistance.

Any other workouts I can do to help train my form or chest muscles? When I do flys I seem to be able to keep up with some other people who lift heavier than I with bench, so any help is appreciated!

Edit: I've recently just started doing the 100 pushup challenge thing to try and help with bench and just because they're easy to do.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't know what most of those words mean, but I will check the link in the OP! Thanks for replying.
Ah. Free weights = anything that's not a machine, so barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, loose plates, etc.
Free weight movements are great because they allow for full range of motion, which will recruit more muscles and ensures that you build a balanced physique.

The reason 5x5 and Starting Strength routines are good is because they utilize compound movements (exercises that involve multiple muscles, as opposed to isolation movements, which focus on one muscle), which will help you get strong and big fast during your initial "noob gains" period. For example, you can opt to avoid deadlifting, but to hit all the muscles that a deadlift would hit, you would have to do shrugs (traps), leg curls (hamstrings), leg extensions (quadriceps), back extensions (lower back), and more.

Anyway, it's really not that complex. If you have an iOS device, I'd suggest downloading Heavyset (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heavyset-gym-log-workout/id1171500310?mt=8) which actually has Starting Strength and 5x5 routines built-in for a small fee, and it'll help you track your progress.

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some advice. I want to improve my bench press and I'm not sure if I'm doing incorrect form or what. I don't think it's likely as I do workout with a friend from time to time and get him to point out if I'm doing anything wrong.

I'm benching about a plate right now, which is great and all, but my squats are getting close to 3 plates for a one rep max, and I'm doing like 3.5 plates when deadlifting with some strap assistance.

Any other workouts I can do to help train my form or chest muscles? When I do flys I seem to be able to keep up with some other people who lift heavier than I with bench, so any help is appreciated!

Edit: I've recently just started doing the 100 pushup challenge thing to try and help with bench and just because they're easy to do.
Few things you can try to break the plateau, take your pick!

1. Improve your technique with leg drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWixOpqQsC8
2. Focus on accessory exercises: triceps and shoulders. Do barbell shoulder presses, close grip bench presses, weighted dips.
3. Use supercompensation in your programming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMX9GgIMbxY
4. Add chains to your routine. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-chain-kits (I personally used this to blow past my plateau)
5. Just go heavier, and make sure someone is spotting you.