• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Can confirm lifting makes it possible to eat a lot. I averaged 3800 calories since September according to my calorie tracking app. I'm only 195 pounds. I can't imagine how much I'd have to eat at 440 pounds like Shaw...

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Can confirm lifting makes it possible to eat a lot. I averaged 3800 calories since September according to my calorie tracking app. I'm only 195 pounds. I can't imagine how much I'd have to eat at 440 pounds like Shaw...

Google says 12 000!

I believe Shaw also says it is the hardest part of lifting. Just eating as much as possible.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm doing super low carb for the first time in my life this week. I have no energy, strength or power.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Finally! I have overcame the fear and discovered the pleasures of weighted squatting. My glutes and quads hate me to death now, but at least I have finally unlocked the path to better leg gains! Though, Leg Press machine will forever have a place in my heart.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm doing super low carb for the first time in my life this week. I have no energy, strength or power.

Is that the only way you can achieve a calorie deficit? Sounds pretty terrible.

I'd feel awful if I ate that sort of food. Really doesn't work for me at all.

:( man, that sucks. I, of course, eat healthily but if I were not able to include pizza, ice cream, cookies daily I'd be so sad.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's always interesting to see the effects that low-carb can have on different people. Some report conditions like you, while others (like me) report more energy than ever before and no real effect on strength.

I recently saw a video on a Japanese fitness channel in which a famous body builder/trainer personality talked about how low-carb can often take up to a month to really work well for Japanese people, since they typically eat a ton of carbs and have a higher density of Prevotella bacteria compared Bacteroides bacteria in their gut. Whereas if this balance is shifted in favor of Bacteroides (and apparently it naturally shifts this way if you continue eating low-carb), then the body works well with a lower amount of carbohydrate intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwwQa3PPkY&t=185s

This could all be pseudo science nonsense. I don't know, but I hadn't heard a lot about how specific types and amounts of gut bacteria could heavily influence an individual's adaptability to a low-carb diet. I'm going to poke around and see if there is much more research on this topic available online.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of food, i can't stress enough how much i love my crock pot.

Chicken, olive oil, chicken broth, and a few frozen packages of your preferred veggies (I use brocolli/carrots/corn/onions) and boom. Can throw in potato's or rice if you want some extra calories. I usually add a bit of sauce at the end to give it a bit more taste, but it makes everything so tender that you don't even need it.

I had been eating dry ass chicken and crunchy ass veggies for years for no reason.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Not a crock pot, but sous vide chicken breast was a revelation to me. Just astonishing how much better it tastes / how much nicer the texture is.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I just learned how to make a basic sauce, so my bland ass rice and beans are much better haha.

It is super easy too. You make a roux with 50% flour, 50% fat, heat it up then add some kind of liquid like any milk, water, chicken stock....
Add spices and you're in flavour town.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was looking at my older pictures when I was leaner and I kind of miss it. I'm nearing the end of bulk with maybe 14 or 15 weeks left and I really hope I look better than ever. My lifts have improved significantly so I better look good. I get way to self-conscious about this stuff.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what methodologies people use for determining number of reps for assistance exercises, when to increase weight and by how much?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've never found any sort of reliable progression method. I tend to just switch up the reps / weights occasionally now.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what methodologies people use for determining number of reps for assistance exercises, when to increase weight and by how much?

FWIW, my program is very specific about weight and reps for the main reps, and the accessory lifts are completely up to me and listed as optional. Granted this is a power lifter program and not a body builder program.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, my program is very specific about weight and reps for the main reps, and the accessory lifts are completely up to me and listed as optional. Granted this is a power lifter program and not a body builder program.

Yeah I do a modified Greyskull but I added in some additional triceps and shoulder work for a variety of reasons. I've just never felt comfortable choosing when to increase weight and/or reps and feel like I am being inefficient.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I do a modified Greyskull but I added in some additional triceps and shoulder work for a variety of reasons. I've just never felt comfortable choosing when to increase weight and/or reps and feel like I am being inefficient.

Adjust it according to your goals.
If you're just working on movement technique keep it light but maybe adjust the time under tension, ie. 3 sec up, 3 sec down -> 3up, 3 pause, 3 down etc.

Strength - follow 5x5 or something, increasing the weight when you achieve 5 reps on every set

etc.

Overload doesn't always have to be weight or reps either. It can be as simple as adding a pause, or making the eccentric more pronounced.

Oct 25, 2017
Tweaked my neck a bit doing DLs yesterday (also hi, I'm joining this thread) but feeling much better today. Currently working through Ivysaur's 4-4-8, which is basically a combo of SS/SL/Greyskull with more presses and alternating 100%/90% sets. I add in additional work as well - yesterday was some lat pulldowns and kettlebell snatches. The kettlebell snatch is FAR AND AWAY my favorite exercise these days.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone here do both weightlifting and some kind of martial arts? If so, how the hell do you find the time? I'm considering jointing a Muay Thai or BJJ gym but have no idea how it can possibly fit into my schedule unless I stop working or give up my two rest days. And even if I give up my two rest days, that seems like a waste of money if I'm only gonna Muay Thai or BJJ twice a week.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Tweaked my neck a bit doing DLs yesterday (also hi, I'm joining this thread) but feeling much better today. Currently working through Ivysaur's 4-4-8, which is basically a combo of SS/SL/Greyskull with more presses and alternating 100%/90% sets. I add in additional work as well - yesterday was some lat pulldowns and kettlebell snatches. The kettlebell snatch is FAR AND AWAY my favorite exercise these days.
I have become a big fan of kettlebells after forcing myself to train with them for the last year. Been working hard on Double Kettlebell Clean + Press since last July. Recently hit the 80lb Kettlebells for a Clean and pressed the 60s for 10 sets of 5. Feels good since I couldn't even Clean let alone press the 60s last July.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone here do both weightlifting and some kind of martial arts? If so, how the hell do you find the time? I'm considering jointing a Muay Thai or BJJ gym but have no idea how it can possibly fit into my schedule unless I stop working or give up my two rest days. And even if I give up my two rest days, that seems like a waste of money if I'm only gonna Muay Thai or BJJ twice a week.
Chad Wesley Smith trains weights and BJJ and has been releasing videos about it on his Juggernaut Training Systems youtube channel. The likely scenario is your going to have to cut back on the weight training and cherry pick the most important things

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Chad Wesley Smith trains weights and BJJ and has been releasing videos about it on his Juggernaut Training Systems youtube channel. The likely scenario is your going to have to cut back on the weight training and cherry pick the most important things

Noooo. That's what I was afraid of. In that case I'm not sure if I should bother with MA right now. I started a new routine maybe 3 months ago and I'm not looking to break it so soon, especially because I've been making steady progress. I'll check out the YouTube channel though, thanks.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Got a hair cut and I need to try to be more productive during the weeekend or I'll just consume everything and gain weight and just be lazy. So I'll try to go to the gym today.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Looking for info on protein powder. I currently consume the Vegan blend (I am lactose intolerant) and was also recently looking into both Brown Rice and Pea protein isolate as "in addition to" the aforementioned blend.

I have grown accustomed to the chalky taste and texture of Vegan blend and was wondering which one of the two isolates would be closer in taste to the 'blend' and are there additional pointers I need to wary of with these isolates?

Thanks.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been struggling to kickstart my weightloss so I decided to try an 8 hour feeding window, if anything just for the way it can reduce the amount of food you eat by skipping breakfast and then otherwise eating normal lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Seems to be working well so far, although I do wonder if I can keep it up when I get employed again and have to get up earlier more consistently. Luckily I've gotten really into black coffee in the last year.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I've been struggling to kickstart my weightloss so I decided to try an 8 hour feeding window, if anything just for the way it can reduce the amount of food you eat by skipping breakfast and then otherwise eating normal lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Seems to be working well so far, although I do wonder if I can keep it up when I get employed again and have to get up earlier more consistently. Luckily I've gotten really into black coffee in the last year.

I hear intermittent fasting is quite good for weight loss. Good luck with your journey!

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I'm a bit worried about my weight loss. I'm losing about a pound a day despite increasing my daily calories and reducing my exercise. I even had two weeks recently where I did no exercise at all and still lost nearly 15 pounds. While I'm not going to really complain about the weight loss itself, I am a bit worried about how fast I'm losing it. For reference I'm 5'11" 225 lbs, and I'm pretty muscular for a woman. This isn't water weight either, as I've already lost a lot of weight in the last six months. I eat 2300 calories a day before exercise or work.

Should I be worried, or is my body just maybe heading towards its healthiest weight?

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Hello fitness Era.

Loving the OP and I have a lot to read up on.

I guess a bit of background. I'm in the uk and I'm on a referal system allowing me to use the the gym 2 times a week.
I did a few cardio sessions just to see where my fitness is.
Luckily I felt fine and was able to bike for 30k and I've been walking a lot too. I did 31 miles at a good pace last week.

So, I've decided to start with weights. The first two seasons were 40 minutes, no real program, and getting used to the machines and free weights.
The last two sessions I did a full leg workout and some chest. That took about an hour.

This takes me to my question. Yesterday I was there for nearly 2 hours. I did my arms, back, upper and lower chest workouts.
I feel fine today, a little tired, but I'm eating right and looking after myself.
Is it safe or reasonable to be doing 2 hour weight sessions in the gym twice a week?

My worry is that it's not effective. Saying that I already feel and see a difference in the areas I've worked. I don't know why, but I've always put on muscle really quickly. Be it at work, or during my teens when I did competitive sports.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit worried about my weight loss. I'm losing about a pound a day despite increasing my daily calories and reducing my exercise. I even had two weeks recently where I did no exercise at all and still lost nearly 15 pounds. While I'm not going to really complain about the weight loss itself, I am a bit worried about how fast I'm losing it. For reference I'm 5'11" 225 lbs, and I'm pretty muscular for a woman. This isn't water weight either, as I've already lost a lot of weight in the last six months. I eat 2300 calories a day before exercise or work.

Should I be worried, or is my body just maybe heading towards its healthiest weight?

That does seem unusual, if you had told me you were losing 7 lbs a week i definitely would have assumed you'd be eating alot less than 2300 calories a day, I would definitely recommend increasing your caloric intake and see if you can slow it down to 2-3 lbs a week instead of 7.

Hello fitness Era.

Loving the OP and I have a lot to read up on.

I guess a bit of background. I'm in the uk and I'm on a referal system allowing me to use the the gym 2 times a week.
I did a few cardio sessions just to see where my fitness is.
Luckily I felt fine and was able to bike for 30k and I've been walking a lot too. I did 31 miles at a good pace last week.

So, I've decided to start with weights. The first two seasons were 40 minutes, no real program, and getting used to the machines and free weights.
The last two sessions I did a full leg workout and some chest. That took about an hour.

This takes me to my question. Yesterday I was there for nearly 2 hours. I did my arms, back, upper and lower chest workouts.
I feel fine today, a little tired, but I'm eating right and looking after myself.
Is it safe or reasonable to be doing 2 hour weight sessions in the gym twice a week?

My worry is that it's not effective. Saying that I already feel and see a difference in the areas I've worked. I don't know why, but I've always put on muscle really quickly. Be it at work, or during my teens when I did competitive sports.

If you haven't lifted weights in a long time you're going to get beginner gains and basically anything will work, After about 6-12 months i'd highly recommend finding a program and sticking with it. I also don't think working out for 2 hours is necessary, you can super set upper body lifts like Bench Press and Rows, or Overhead press and pull ups because they work different muscle groups. That's why my workouts are only 40-60 minutes.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
In Dutch I pronounce it the same way as the word we use for poison: gif, with a hard, throat sound that most English speakers wouldn't find too appetizing.
That does seem unusual, if you had told me you were losing 7 lbs a week i definitely would have assumed you'd be eating alot less than 2300 calories a day, I would definitely recommend increasing your caloric intake and see if you can slow it down to 2-3 lbs a week instead of 7.

If you haven't lifted weights in a long time you're going to get beginner gains and basically anything will work, After about 6-12 months i'd highly recommend finding a program and sticking with it. I also don't think working out for 2 hours is necessary, you can super set upper body lifts like Bench Press and Rows, or Overhead press and pull ups because they work different muscle groups. That's why my workouts are only 40-60 minutes.

Thanks for the tips. I should of said it wasn't 2 hours of weights but with a good rest between each work out.
It's definitely something I want to take seriously and get right.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of doctors, mine said during a physical this past week that I was skinny enough that she could get a good feel of my internal organs.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the bulk will continue.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

Wow 15 lbs in 2 weeks is a lot.

Did this involve a drastic change in diet? Or are you just reducing calories?
What exactly are you doing?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That's the thing, I didn't really do anything, I just started shedding pounds. I'm actually eating more than I was before, the only difference is I stopped drinking milk all the time a couple months ago

Ok, hmmm yea that is strange. Do you eat other dairy? If you cut out all dairy then maybe it was a food that your body didn't tolerate well.

In any case, I'd get a doctors opinion just to be safe. Losing that much weight within that short a period is concerning, or at least requires some investigation. What are your thoughts right now? Do you feel differently since you started losing all this weight? Like better or worse?

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Ok, hmmm yea that is strange. Do you eat other dairy? If you cut out all dairy then maybe it was a food that your body didn't tolerate well.

In any case, I'd get a doctors opinion just to be safe. Losing that much weight within that short a period is concerning, or at least requires some investigation. What are your thoughts right now? Do you feel differently since you started losing all this weight? Like better or worse?

I've actually started eating a lot more yogurt so I might be having more dairy. I feel fine I guess? I'm just always tired and I heal slowly, but I've been that way a while.
I have been jogging a bit more lately but I always eat extra calories to make up for it.

I've reached out to my doctor to get her opinion, haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
15 pounds isn't too much. When you begin dieting 90% of the loss in the first few weeks is water/glycogen and food in your system. I gained 18 pounds in 3 days on vacation recently. It sure wasn't even 2 pounds of real fat. Probably closer to 1.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
15 pounds isn't too much. When you begin dieting 90% of the loss in the first few weeks is water/glycogen and food in your system. I gained 18 pounds in 3 days on vacation recently. It sure wasn't even 2 pounds of real fat. Probably closer to 1.

Ummm read the posts again.

"That's the thing, I didn't really do anything, I just started shedding pounds. I'm actually eating more than I was before "
"I'm losing about a pound a day despite increasing my daily calories and reducing my exercise. I even had two weeks recently where I did no exercise at all and still lost nearly 15 pounds "

Oct 25, 2017

I was losing weight at almost the same rate near the end of my most recent cut and I was mentally fatigued all the time and felt like shit. The results are addicting but I was not healthy. I'll never drop weight that fast again.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Ummm read the posts again.

"That's the thing, I didn't really do anything, I just started shedding pounds. I'm actually eating more than I was before "
"I'm losing about a pound a day despite increasing my daily calories and reducing my exercise. I even had two weeks recently where I did no exercise at all and still lost nearly 15 pounds "

Well, here is a link for unexplained weight loss.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/unexplained-weight-loss/basics/causes/sym-20050700

Now, if none of those apply then she is overestimating her intake.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i joined the BANG train because Target started carrying the energy drink. i picked up one can of Rainbow Unicorn. haven't tried it. will do so when i go to the gym today.