• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i joined the BANG train because Target started carrying the energy drink. i picked up one can of Rainbow Unicorn. haven't tried it. will do so when i go to the gym today.
tried it. the initial sips are great. but the aftertaste is bad. Different taste than Monster. also i didn't get the caffeine hit. Pretty sure it didn't hit me. but it gave me the sweats like the GHOST preworkout. pretty sure they use the same things that causes me to sweat. lol

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I'm retiring from barbell deadlifts. In the 2 years I've been working out, the only 2 injuries I've gotten have both been from deadlifts. And it slows my progress down completely for very minimal gains. I deadlift like 50 pounds less than I squat and around the same weight that I bench. I get the same burn just doing KB or dumbbell deadlifts without injury. In a years time I went from 135 to 205 deadlift. Compared to my squat which went from body weight to 255. I've had my form checked by multiple Physical therapists, trainers, former bodybuilders, etc. My left hamstring is just shit and it goes out and then my back starts hurting from having to pick up the extra work. Rack rows are fine though. And the weight doesn't even feel that heavy. It's just my body not wanting to deal with it.

I'm thinking about picking up a bodyweight program, honestly. Especially as I get into my 30s, Seems more sustainable.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yep, no reason to shoehorn yourself into certain exercises. Do what you can. I'm 37 and stopped squats, for the most part, sometimes I do some light split squats in a smith machine. I have started deadlifting again though with a hex bar with raised handles so I don't have to bend over a bar. It can aggravate my sciatica.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at my food logs and the amount of potassium I am taking in is super low. And recommended amounts are quite high. I'm going to start eating a lot more spinach.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I need a bit of advice, I tore my calf muscle warming up to play tennis and I'm worried it's my pre-game routine that's the problem. I do lots of stretches beforehand and I'm wondering if they would be better done after. If so, what should I do beforehand to properly warm up? Thanks in advance.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I'm retiring from barbell deadlifts. In the 2 years I've been working out, the only 2 injuries I've gotten have both been from deadlifts. And it slows my progress down completely for very minimal gains. I deadlift like 50 pounds less than I squat and around the same weight that I bench. I get the same burn just doing KB or dumbbell deadlifts without injury. In a years time I went from 135 to 205 deadlift. Compared to my squat which went from body weight to 255. I've had my form checked by multiple Physical therapists, trainers, former bodybuilders, etc. My left hamstring is just shit and it goes out and then my back starts hurting from having to pick up the extra work. Rack rows are fine though. And the weight doesn't even feel that heavy. It's just my body not wanting to deal with it.

I'm thinking about picking up a bodyweight program, honestly. Especially as I get into my 30s, Seems more sustainable.
The only exercises I don't ever do are deadlifts, upright rows, and squats.
Deadlifts and upright rows because of how injury prone you are when performing those exercises.
Squats, I just don't like them lol I will eventually do them though
I've been doing focus training to bulk for 4 months

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Did another Strongman competition

So this is my 5th strongman competition, but only my 2nd sanctioned competition. My main focus with competing right now is gaining experience, and meeting people/making friends. Which in that sense I have been very successful.

I weighed in at 209.5lbs, had I a huge dietary related issue pop up during prep causing 10lbs to fall off in a very short time. I had to take out a main stay of my diet while in the midst of trying to bulk to 220. I was left scrambling to get the weight I lost back and then I had an accident with some heavy deadlifts which set me off course. That said I had an amazing off-season and a phenomenal start to prep though and I definitely can carry through nicely into my next prep (which starts on Monday)

There were 6 events. Overhead Medley, Power Stairs, Carry Medley, Arm Over Arm Pull, Keg Series, and Max Axle Deadlift.

Overhead Medley. 225 Axle, 225 Log, 125 Circus DB for Reps. 5 competitors in Men's Middleweight.

Zero. The odds were against me on this one, I have made some serious headway in fixing my Overhead Strength but I just didn't have enough time to be able to do 225. I almost had 185 during the warmups. My leg drive has improved a lot, 185 felt weightless and missed it just short of lock out. Significant improvement over the scary garbage 165 I did sometime last year.

Power Stairs 150, 200, 225, 250

5th. Same weights as Winter Siege (Same organizers). I decided to throw caution to the wind and just go for it, I was overly cautious at Winter Siege and barely finished in time. Instead of taking 58 seconds I did in 34 seconds and only 3 seconds behind 4th place. I feel like if I hadn't lost my balance on the 3rd one I might have been able to scrub 4th. Alas I did not. Still happy with this performance.
Carry Medley 475 Frame, 250 Duckwalk, 200 Hussafell 5th. After failing a 450 trap bar dead a few weeks ago I wasn't sure if I could even pick the Frame. I did and only got 28 feet before dropping it, tried to repick it. Dissapointed. Upon examining the video on my repick I had my hands Waaaaay too far forward, I might have been able to re pick and get it the last 12 feet if my hands were further back.

Arm Over Arm Pull. 4th. I trained well for this one and it showed. Did it 21.2 seconds snagging fourth by less than a second. I was about 3 seconds off first. I feel good about this performance.

5th. Keg Series. 240, 270, 310 over 48 inch Bar Only got the 240. Lapped the 270 but couldn't get it up. Disappointed, I honestly thought I could get it but I guess not. I knew I couldn't get 310 but I thought 270 was a sure thing.

5th. Max Axle Deadlift. So I have very little experience deadlifting with an axle. I did buy a stubby axle not too long ago, but with my gyms plates I could only get 380 on it. I did tie some 10s to it so I could hit 400 but never went beyond that. I chose my first as something I knew I could hit with ease to make sure I got on the board. So I opened with 385 and it moved like it should, like butter. We had to make atleast 20lb jumps, so I went to 405 for a second. Moved well enough that I could have probably done 3 reps if this was a training session. I Went for 435 after talking to the another one of competitors, he said he was doing 435. If I did 430 for a 3rd I was getting last even if I made the lift. So I went for 435 in an attempt to tie him to avoid getting last on the event and scraping up some points. Unfortunately I missed 435 and he made it so I got last anyways. Not mad at all, especially for the final event of 6 event competition. I think I may have had 425 for a sick grinder but I wanted to push, it didn't effect my overall placing at all so why not. I was getting last no matter what so I was just going for what I could at that point.

I know what I need to do, I need to focus on getting statically stronger (I knew this) but I have working reps, work capacity, and conditioning pretty hard for the last 10 months to build a base to facilitate future strength gains. I feel like a bigger focus on heavy work is what I need to potentiate what I have been building. I expected too much in too little time.
I have the Iowa Games in 10 weeks and then I am sure when I am competing again, but I am sure I will compete at least one more time after the Iowa Games this year.

Some cool side notes from the competition that have nothing to do with me. Boston Jacobs competed in the Heavy Weights weighing in at 224lbs and pulled a 700lb Axle Deadlift. He opened at 600 which was well above everyone else. Only one person made him have to pull more.
Heavyweight Novices had a tie so they had to go to tie breaker, which was a good ol' fashioned tug of war. Winner had to buy the loser a beer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDxMWcguhA/ https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDxwuXAW92/

Nov 13, 2017
Hey FitnessEra. I'm at my wit's end here and I could really use some input from you all.

I want to build more muscle mass, and I know that I need to consume more food–I've just got so many fears around doing so, messing it up, and getting fat. I train with a trainer two times a week, and try my hardest to get in two other sessions without him. So, 3-4x a week. My trainer and I have been working together for a little over a year (skipped a few months during the winter) and I have definitely seen some great changes in my body (much more definition and some muscle growth) but I have plateaued. I know without a doubt that the intensity of the exercises I'm doing + the strength I have achieved would be yielding the results I want if I was eating enough.

I'm almost always in a calorie deficit. Genes on the men's side of my family aren't exactly in my favor, and sadly I had an eating disorder when I was younger that has left me with a really serious fear of becoming fat from bulking, not being able to lose it, and then being completely screwed.

My questions are:
  1. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best app or website to help me calculate just how many calories I should be consuming to make progress with muscle growth with the least amount of fat gain as possible? Or should I consult a nutrition?
    1. On that same note, any recommendation for meal prep apps to help me reach that calorie consumption?
  2. What really confuses me is when the higher calorie consumption should begin, and when it should end. For example, I exclusively do strength training right now. How often per week do I need to be strength training so that my caloric surplus doesn't turn into belly fat? When do I start to consume more calories? Do I do it every day or only the days that I'm working out? When do I stop eating in a surplus?
  3. Are there any supplements, beyond Whey Protein, that you all recommend to help me with this goals?
If it's easier to respond in a DM, my inbox is open. Really appreciate your help here, Era.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
An app isnt going to be able to tell you how many calories you need because everyones caloric needs will be different. You dont have to go on a huge caloric surplus to get stronger, a small surplus or even a very tiny deficit can result in muscle gains (although this will be much slower). Athlean x is all about a year round consistency where you dont have a bulk phase or a cut phase.

Just keep track of your weight, if you're losing weight then slightly add more calories and keep in mind that you arent going to be able to replicate the type of gains you saw in your first 12 months of lifting, your beginner gains are done and results will come slower now.

As far as supplements, you can try creatine, pre workouts, and casein protein, but they arent required.

If your not on a deficit and you arent making any progress for months and months i would try a new program and stick to it. It will tell you how many days a week to lift, how many sets and reps, all that.

As far as meal prep, i love crockpots because i can make 5 meals at a time with it with only 10 minutes of prep.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Did another Strongman competition...
/

This is really cool to read. I would love to do a strongman competition after i recover some of my strength. I don't train in a gym that has most of the implements but just getting out to try it would be fun.

On a similar note, I had a great time in the few Highland games competitions I did.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Strongman sounds really fun, instead of doing the same boring lifts you go lift logs and truck and shit. But the idea of competing in a competition called "Strong man" with only modest strength keeps me from entering.

Side note, i found this recipe online and it's really good and easy to make. You guys should check it out.

https://chefsavvy.com/cilantro-lime-shrimp-and-rice/

You can reduce calories/sodium by just cooking the rice normally without all the olive oil/butter/chicken broth. I'm going to make it with chicken next time to save $$$.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
This is really cool to read. I would love to do a strongman competition after i recover some of my strength. I don't train in a gym that has most of the implements but just getting out to try it would be fun.

On a similar note, I had a great time in the few Highland games competitions I did.
Most of my training is standard gym work and some creative uses of what I have around, I occassionaly drive a little ways to train with some implements. I also bought a few of the cheaper and smaller implements that I can keep in my car and transport easily.

I eventually want to do a highland games, looks like a blast.
Strongman sounds really fun, instead of doing the same boring lifts you go lift logs and truck and shit. But the idea of competing in a competition called "Strong man" with only modest strength keeps me from entering.

Side note, i found this recipe online and it's really good and easy to make. You guys should check it out.

https://chefsavvy.com/cilantro-lime-shrimp-and-rice/

You can reduce calories/sodium by just cooking the rice normally without all the olive oil/butter/chicken broth. I'm going to make it with chicken next time to save $$$.
There are novice divisions and weight classes. I am not really at competitive strength levels either, (I am catching up) its just super fun being around so many like minded individuals and the community aspect is great. People cheer on and help their competitors, we pick eachothers brains for training ideas etc.. Its worth doing at least once. It will also expose some strength and/or weaknesses you didn't know you had.

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my gym is closed for the foreseeable future. I got back to running. I am afraid my gains, however little they may be, might vanish. I can either try and do calisthenics because the playground is open or do boxing/Muay Thai. Any advice?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Cool stuff KillerBEA

Did something to my back yesterday, think it might've been from carrying plates to the deadlift rather than the deadlift itself, ow.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Pushups, Incline pushups, pushups with hands closer together to emphasize triceps, handstand shoulder presses, squats while holding something and/or pistol squats. A plyometric workout might be good as well.

Skagulis

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I did barbell deadlifts I always ended up ripping skin on my shins, so I switched to trapbar deadlifts. Was I doing something wrong?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I did barbell deadlifts I always ended up ripping skin on my shins, so I switched to trapbar deadlifts. Was I doing something wrong?

The bar should track your shins, not touch them all the way up for the entire duration of the movement. If anything, the bar will end up just above the tongue of your shoe.

Oct 30, 2017
Did 6x94kg on bench and when I went to rack it, my right forearm wasn't where it should have been and the barbell fell on that side. No worries tho my safeties were in the right spot and not a scratch on me. Always use safeties people.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Did 6x94kg on bench and when I went to rack it, my right forearm wasn't where it should have been and the barbell fell on that side. No worries tho my safeties were in the right spot and not a scratch on me. Always use safeties people.
we have no safeties unless we use the power rack.

also don't clip your bars when you bench. especially when you got no safety bars. i sometimes see people do that at the gym.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I need some recommendation. I've been participating in combat sports (Muay Thai and soon BJJ) since Thanksgiving. I'm in love with it (3-5 days a week with Yoga once a week for recovery), but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with CBD oils/ rollers and if they actually help daily bumps and injuries. I try to use Boxing Liniment oil before I go to bed, but I'm looking for something that may be a little stronger.

Also any recommended gear websites? I recently ordered from muaythaistuff and although I was charged, i havent seen my order (its been 2 and a half weeks), now they've updated the site and my account is gone. Has anyone ordered from them, are they a scam?

Oct 30, 2017
we have no safeties unless we use the power rack.

also don't clip your bars when you bench. especially when you got no safety bars. i sometimes see people do that at the gym.

If you don't have safeties, then yes, but I always clip mine because I have my angles covered. I was never able to max my bench out at normal gyms because I didn't like asking for a spotter. Much more comfy going all out at home safely.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pushups, Incline pushups, pushups with hands closer together to emphasize triceps, handstand shoulder presses, squats while holding something and/or pistol squats. A plyometric workout might be good as well.
Thanks a lot, I'll view these on Youtube :)

Well, took a look and good grief, not sure if I'll be able to pull off that handstand. That pistol squat looks promising and tough!

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my gym is closed for the foreseeable future. I got back to running. I am afraid my gains, however little they may be, might vanish. I can either try and do calisthenics because the playground is open or do boxing/Muay Thai. Any advice?
to Kill your gains by running you have to like run the hell of a lot.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Well, if you couple cardio with lack of being able to lift you can kill them quick. I lost a lot of gains last summer while running even while I kept my lifting up. I was doing 5-10 miles a day though, so maybe if you keep it modest you'd be good.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I began Muay Thai 3-5 times a week right after thankgiving 2018 and it's the best decision I've ever made. I'm in the best shape of my life, the cardio is so intense, and I've built confidence I never achieved through normal power/weight lifting. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm a 32 Female and next year I plan to go to a camp in Thailand to train for 1-2 weeks, with the idea of having my first fight in the next 5. Please, if you're even considering, definitely take the plunge, most places have deals for the first week or month.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I began Muay Thai 3-5 times a week right after thankgiving 2018 and it's the best decision I've ever made. I'm in the best shape of my life, the cardio is so intense, and I've built confidence I never achieved through normal power/weight lifting. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm a 32 Female and next year I plan to go to a camp in Thailand to train for 1-2 weeks, with the idea of having my first fight in the next 5. Please, if you're even considering, definitely take the plunge, most places have deals for the first week or month.
I've been looking at getting into Muay Thai for the striking or Judo because throws sound like fun. There are a couple places in town that specialize in those martial arts. I just need my schedule to calm down a bit before I get into it!

Do you still lift weights or anything in addition? How are your joints feeling from the knee/elbow strikes? I'm a couple years older.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think about one armed pull-ups and pushups? Practical or just a kinda cool party trick? I've always thought the latter, at least for the pushups. No idea about one armed pull-ups.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I see no reason to do one-armed pull-ups besides bragging rights. Normal pull-ups are a great back builder. My favorite.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read the excerpt from Amazon, looks pretty good! I don't have Kindle though, nor do I have a credit card, maybe it's available in our local bookshop. Thanks for the recommendation!
Typically I run 5 kilometers a day since the gym closed.
Sounds like it really worked out for you, luckily I'll be able to observe the Muay Thai stuff because it's right besides the boxing place, I'll check them out!

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I've been looking at getting into Muay Thai for the striking or Judo because throws sound like fun. There are a couple places in town that specialize in those martial arts. I just need my schedule to calm down a bit before I get into it!

Do you still lift weights or anything in addition? How are your joints feeling from the knee/elbow strikes? I'm a couple years older.
As of right now I dont lift weights, mostly due to not having time. I go to class 4-5 days a week, usually there about 10-12 hours total a week. I suffer from pretty bad joint and back pains, most likely sciatic nerve related so I also attend yoga classes every week, primarily restorative or yin yoga, which has helped a lot.

We shadow box with weights, 3-5 lbs, and I have egg weights at 2.5 lbs at home to shadow box with. Occasionally i
l'll swing my kettlebells at home as well, but right now I'm really not concerned with weight lifting, as I'm already seeing gains from Muay Thai alone.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017

That's an inspiring goal! Badass! I want to get into a martial art one day. I tried a couple of introductory muay thai classes back in the day at Fairtex, and it worked me hard. So hard I never went back haha. The cardio required was insane, especially for the kick drills. I can see how after a couple of weeks of that your fitness would be vastly improved.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
That's an inspiring goal! Badass! I want to get into a martial art one day. I tried a couple of introductory muay thai classes back in the day at Fairtex, and it worked me hard. So hard I never went back haha. The cardio required was insane, especially for the kick drills. I can see how after a couple of weeks of that your fitness would be vastly improved.
What I like is how understanding my Kru is. Any pain (not considered conditioning) and they will find alternative exercises. Jump roping for 15 minutes was killing my ankles and knees, to the point where I could only attend 2-3 classes a week due to pain. He now just has me jump on a tire, which puts a lot less strain on my body. I really recommend anyone to push through the beginning and remind yourself its ok to suck. I still absolutely suck and am 8-10 years older than most of my colleagues, but this week my boyfriend was shocked about my abs and my faint 4 pack haha.

I did mean to mention earlier, that I'm also on a strict keto diet and have been for the last 3.5 years and havent noticed too much exhaustion (i get a lot of people telling me I need carbs for the cardio, but I think I keep up fairly well)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 5'7 barefoot, but when I jump I can pretty easily touch the top of my place's ceiling, which measures at exactly 10 feet - I'm not particularly strong, and I haven't put any real work into things like pylometrics or jumping exercises before.

Would it be possible for me to dunk? I know you need to get higher than the actual rim, but I've heard conflicting things about whether or not you can increase your vertical all that much

Oct 25, 2017
I've been starting with Simple and Sinister KB work this week. Really enjoying it. I'm currently swinging a 16kg Bell and I can get one wobbly set of Turkish Get Ups with it, but have to switch to a lower weight dumbbell for the rest of my sets. Really enjoying the methodical challenge of the TGU, especially performing it slowly.

I plan on continuing my barbell work as well, probably trying for 2-3 days a week. Aiming for S&S at least 5x a week right now.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Form for me is so hard to get down. My squat form is terrible and I've been trying to improve it forever to no avail. Same with bench press and deadlift.

I just can't get it right

Oct 25, 2017
So to make a long story short, I'm 6'2", used to weigh 375, changed my life and dropped down to around 200 several years ago. I got very serious about my fitness last December, cut weight to 165 and about 10% body fat and for the last couple months I've been hitting the gym six times a week and trying to build lean muscle. So far it's going great, I've noticed steady improvements in the gym and in the mirror.

I have a concern though. While it's tightened up considerably over the past few years, I still have a large amount of loose skin on my stomach and lower back. I've already consulted with cosmetic surgeons and plan on having a body lift later this year to remove it. My worry is that I'm going to lose some of my gains due to being unable to work out for 4-6 weeks after the operation. Is that just the price I pay or is there something I can do to minimize the losses from being inactive for so long?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5'7 barefoot, but when I jump I can pretty easily touch the top of my place's ceiling, which measures at exactly 10 feet - I'm not particularly strong, and I haven't put any real work into things like pylometrics or jumping exercises before.

Would it be possible for me to dunk? I know you need to get higher than the actual rim, but I've heard conflicting things about whether or not you can increase your vertical all that much

It is completely possible to increase your vertical through training. I know plenty of dudes around your height that didn't grow past it in HS and now they can really slam the ball in in their mid 20s. Pretty cool seeing their progress through Snapchat videos throughout the years lol.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So to make a long story short, I'm 6'2", used to weigh 375, changed my life and dropped down to around 200 several years ago. I got very serious about my fitness last December, cut weight to 165 and about 10% body fat and for the last couple months I've been hitting the gym six times a week and trying to build lean muscle. So far it's going great, I've noticed steady improvements in the gym and in the mirror.

I have a concern though. While it's tightened up considerably over the past few years, I still have a large amount of loose skin on my stomach and lower back. I've already consulted with cosmetic surgeons and plan on having a body lift later this year to remove it. My worry is that I'm going to lose some of my gains due to being unable to work out for 4-6 weeks after the operation. Is that just the price I pay or is there something I can do to minimize the losses from being inactive for so long?

I've had clients that have undergone similar transformations, then had surgeries to reduce the excess skin and the downtime isn't all that impactful so long as you're careful with your diet—which is wholly under your control—during that time. You can still be 'active' during your recover time, too. Walking, progression to longer durations, light hikes as the weeks go on. The most important thing during recovery is that you're not completely sedentary once the pain fades (it does hurt, from what I'm told) and mobility starts to return.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Fitness Era, I've got a weird problem that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I've been getting heartburn after my workouts and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent it. I've done all the suggestions that google listed: eating 2 hours before a workout, light non-acidic meal, lots of water. None have worked. Any suggestions?