• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Fitness Era, I've got a weird problem that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I've been getting heartburn after my workouts and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent it. I've done all the suggestions that google listed: eating 2 hours before a workout, light non-acidic meal, lots of water. None have worked. Any suggestions?

That seems simple: take a proton pump inhibitor like Prevacid or Prilosec the morning of your workout. Were you looking for a more natural solution?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So to make a long story short, I'm 6'2", used to weigh 375, changed my life and dropped down to around 200 several years ago. I got very serious about my fitness last December, cut weight to 165 and about 10% body fat and for the last couple months I've been hitting the gym six times a week and trying to build lean muscle. So far it's going great, I've noticed steady improvements in the gym and in the mirror.

I have a concern though. While it's tightened up considerably over the past few years, I still have a large amount of loose skin on my stomach and lower back. I've already consulted with cosmetic surgeons and plan on having a body lift later this year to remove it. My worry is that I'm going to lose some of my gains due to being unable to work out for 4-6 weeks after the operation. Is that just the price I pay or is there something I can do to minimize the losses from being inactive for so long?

It's really awesome to hear how much you've changed your body for the better.

To answer your question, 4-6 weeks is not a big deal at all, as long as your diet is under control you're going to get back into it very quickly. There's NFL athletes who miss 9 months and are ready to go the following season. You don't gain muscle overnight, and you don't lose it overnight either.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So to make a long story short, I'm 6'2", used to weigh 375, changed my life and dropped down to around 200 several years ago. I got very serious about my fitness last December, cut weight to 165 and about 10% body fat and for the last couple months I've been hitting the gym six times a week and trying to build lean muscle. So far it's going great, I've noticed steady improvements in the gym and in the mirror.

I have a concern though. While it's tightened up considerably over the past few years, I still have a large amount of loose skin on my stomach and lower back. I've already consulted with cosmetic surgeons and plan on having a body lift later this year to remove it. My worry is that I'm going to lose some of my gains due to being unable to work out for 4-6 weeks after the operation. Is that just the price I pay or is there something I can do to minimize the losses from being inactive for so long?

Awesome job! Don't worry about any temporary muscle loss. 4-6 weeks is nothing. Anything lost will be regained within a couple of weeks. I usually lose focus and quit working out for 3 months at a time. I always bounce back quickly.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Got sick, so I'm taking a week off. Is there a recommended intake for times when you're sick? I'm eating at maintenance, but I wonder if I should be doing a slight surplus or slight deficit.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm currently trying to lose fat, and it seems to work. Additional abdominal workouts + fat loss = my abs are getting more visible

Approximately 4-6 weeks and I should be happy.

I'll up the calories after that, change my workout routine a little bit and focus on building lean muscle efficiently.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to actually get some training in on the actual implements instead of something makeshift or "this is the best I can do". Got to train at a gym with a decent amount of strongman kit. Got in some axle presses, and pulls (on a regular sized axle); as well being able to use actual farmer's carry implements.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxc-fgNAZ8i/

Whenever I did barbell deadlifts I always ended up ripping skin on my shins, so I switched to trapbar deadlifts. Was I doing something wrong?
Get long athletic socks to wear only to the gym when you do deadlifts.
What do you guys think about one armed pull-ups and pushups? Practical or just a kinda cool party trick? I've always thought the latter, at least for the pushups. No idea about one armed pull-ups.
The shoulder stability requirement to me is what makes both of those impressive.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Finally closing on our home. I get to use half the garage for an at home gym. Has anyone here undertaken this endeavor? Have any tips/tricks/etc? Is there a better part of the year to buy weights?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I took up a session of boxing and it was fun. Also, triceps felt raw after it. I was with another new person and the instructor thought I knew already how to box.

There were two sets of different exercises that I was made to do, one of them was a circuit and the other was fully focused on core. I welcome both.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Finally closing on our home. I get to use half the garage for an at home gym. Has anyone here undertaken this endeavor? Have any tips/tricks/etc? Is there a better part of the year to buy weights?
I did it with just a squat rack, a bar and plates. I looked around online for cheap second hand stuff. There's always people moving or New Years resolutioners offloading their good intentions.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FitnessERA, how are you holding up with your nutrition?

I'm following my strict meal plan 99%. There is too many birthdays where my relatives are making crazy good desserts.

I can keep my fingers off the snacks that they put on the table, but a delicious cake? Impossible :D

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

I'm following my strict meal plan 99%. There is too many birthdays where my relatives are making crazy good desserts.

I can keep my fingers off the snacks that they put on the table, but a delicious cake? Impossible :D
3 days strong. thursday/saturday/sunday will be my downfall. unless i find something to do. lol

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I eat clean 6 days out of the week but i have a really bad cheat day on saturday where i get whatever im craving the most out of my system.

I maintain 180lbs doing this, but gains are very minimal.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I eat whatever now on top of my diet and I gained some weight but my gains are still there, also my abs are still there. I say go for it sometimes. We do this fitness thing to enjoy life, so every once in a while won't hurt.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is changing programs necessary after a certain period of time? I've been on the same one for over a year and im not sure if doing the same one over and over has a diminishing effect.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Is changing programs necessary after a certain period of time? I've been on the same one for over a year and im not sure if doing the same one over and over has a diminishing effect.
Our [the human] body is incredible at adapting to circumstances; this means it will adapt to the challenges you throw at it in fitness regimens.

I'm no physician, but I'm pretty sure throwing "curveballs" into your routine is critical to achieving better results.

Oct 30, 2017
83.5kgx2 on ohp, 105kgx3 on bench, this 1s week is going pretty spiffy.

Our [the human] body is incredible at adapting to circumstances; this means it will adapt to the challenges you throw at it in fitness regimens.

I'm no physician, but I'm pretty sure throwing "curveballs" into your routine is critical to achieving better results.

It's a good thing you are not a physician. There is no need to throw curveballs.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Hey question, I go to the gym every so often but have been having lower back pain after running for around a mile when I can usually run for much longer no problem. I'm 99% sure its my posture as I have an anterior pelvic tilt, so i started watching some youtube videos on stretches,exercises, proper sitting and sleeping forms to help fix my posture. My issue is for every exercise I see to help my pelvic tilt i see another video in the recommended tab saying the exercise im doing is bad and I should stop. For example one vid had me stretching my hip flexors only for another video to say DO NOT STRETCH HIP FLEXORS IT WILL MAKE YOUR TILT WORST. how am I supposed to know what to do and not to do?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Hey question, I go to the gym every so often but have been having lower back pain after running for around a mile when I can usually run for much longer no problem. I'm 99% sure its my posture as I have an anterior pelvic tilt, so i started watching some youtube videos on stretches,exercises, proper sitting and sleeping forms to help fix my posture. My issue is for every exercise I see to help my pelvic tilt i see another video in the recommended tab saying the exercise im doing is bad and I should stop. For example one vid had me stretching my hip flexors only for another video to say DO NOT STRETCH HIP FLEXORS IT WILL MAKE YOUR TILT WORST. how am I supposed to know what to do and not to do?

Do you sit a lot at work?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017

If you're not stalling on anything or it's not adversely affecting your body, you should be good to carry on.

Anecdote: I did Starting Strength from 2011-2018 but stopped last year because squatting heavy 3 times per week was just killer, have moved onto 5/3/1 since then and progress is good (strongest I've ever been at 31).

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What do you eat right after working out?

As soon as I get home I make a protein shake with milk, water + protein powder. Sometimes I throw a banana in there.
Right after that it is some waffles made out of rice/corn.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

As soon as I get home I make a protein shake with milk, water + protein powder. Sometimes I throw a banana in there.

My whey protein followed by lunch or dinner.

Usually something along the lines of Lean meat, carb of choice (brown rice, potato, or pasta) and vegetables.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017

I usually go the gym late in the evening. So I just have a protein shake immediately after my workout and when I get home I eat low fat curd cheese with some fruits or oat meal and a bit honey.

Oct 30, 2017
If you're not stalling on anything or it's not adversely affecting your body, you should be good to carry on.

Anecdote: I did Starting Strength from 2011-2018 but stopped last year because squatting heavy 3 times per week was just killer, have moved onto 5/3/1 since then and progress is good (strongest I've ever been at 31).

Ive been a form of 531 for years, still making gains. My fav program.

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I am going to Planet Fitness tomorrow and meeting with a trainer to setup a personalized workout routine. What should I eat before hand, how much and how long before I go to this work out? My goal is weight loss right now trying to get down from 427 that I am now to much lower lol. Down from 455 last month from just water weight and watching what I eat finally.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I am going to Planet Fitness tomorrow and meeting with a trainer to setup a personalized workout routine. What should I eat before hand, how much and how long before I go to this work out? My goal is weight loss right now trying to get down from 427 that I am now to much lower lol. Down from 455 last month from just water weight and watching what I eat finally.

You don't have to eat anything before your workout if you don't want to, if you're lifting weights then you'll want to fuel your body with protein as quickly as possible after your workout to help your body build muscle.

If you're doing cardio then you don't have to worry about that, just make sure you don't eat a bunch right before your cardio session.

As far as what to eat, that's up to you, some people prefer the taste of fats (like Nuts, seeds, avacados, beans etc) and some people prefer the taste of carbs (Grains, Pasta, Rice, Potato, etc). You want to make sure your diet is sustainable forever, you're going to want this to be a life style change, not something you go on for 6 months, this is why alot of diets fail, because they aren't sustainable long term. You should be enjoying the food you eat, and you shouldn't feel like you're starving yourself, i highly recommend downloading an app like Myfitnesspal and logging your weight and meals everyday, it will give you a general idea of how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and your #1 priority should be going under that number.

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to eat anything before your workout if you don't want to, if you're lifting weights then you'll want to fuel your body with protein as quickly as possible after your workout to help your body build muscle.

If you're doing cardio then you don't have to worry about that, just make sure you don't eat a bunch right before your cardio session.

As far as what to eat, that's up to you, some people prefer the taste of fats (like Nuts, seeds, avacados, beans etc) and some people prefer the taste of carbs (Grains, Pasta, Rice, Potato, etc). You want to make sure your diet is sustainable forever, you're going to want this to be a life style change, not something you go on for 6 months, this is why alot of diets fail, because they aren't sustainable long term. You should be enjoying the food you eat, and you shouldn't feel like you're starving yourself, i highly recommend downloading an app like Myfitnesspal and logging your weight and meals everyday, it will give you a general idea of how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and your #1 priority should be going under that number.

Oh yeah for sure I have learned my lessons about going way to hardcore into things hating it and then caving and regressing. I am making all of my foods and allow myself some processed stuff I use to stuff my face with but in much smaller portions and way less often. Using MFP already and it's great help. I plan on doing a mix of cardio and weight as I don't want to lose muscle as i lose the fat.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I did:

5x5 pull-ups
5x5 chin-ups
10x10 push-ups(more like 3x15, 5x10, 1x5)
5x10 burpees

I actually felt DOMS when I did 5x5 pull-ups and 1x5 chin-ups from before, but not today, weird.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious - how long is yalls workout sessions and how often do some of y'all work out?
I'm only doing 30 minutes 3 times a week. I feel like it's too little, but honestly - working out is boring as hell to me. It's as boring as standing in line. I have the stamina to keep going but I just can't. I've tried music and podcasts and it doesn't help.
I'm trying to lose about 40 pounds in 2 or 3 months. Do longer and less frequent workouts work better or can you do more workouts but spend less time doing them? I feel like it's either 3 one hour workouts or 4-5 30 minute works outs a week.
Any tips?

And yeah, I'm counting my calories as well.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm curious - how long is yalls workout sessions and how often do some of y'all work out?
I'm only doing 30 minutes 3 times a week. I feel like it's too little, but honestly - working out is boring as hell to me. It's as boring as standing in line. I have the stamina to keep going but I just can't. I've tried music and podcasts and it doesn't help.
I'm trying to lose about 40 pounds in 2 or 3 months. Do longer and less frequent workouts work better or can you do more workouts but spend less time doing them? I feel like it's either 3 one hour workouts or 4-5 30 minute works outs a week.
Any tips?

4 times a week for about 45 minutes and 1 or 2 short bodyweight sessions at home.

Since when do you work out and have you changed your workout schedule since then? Maybe try something new from time to time... some bodyweight exercises, supersets or something like that.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 times a week for about 45 minutes and 1 or 2 short bodyweight sessions at home.

Since when do you work out and have you changed your workout schedule since then? Maybe try something new from time to time... some bodyweight exercises, supersets or something like that.
I've started working out about a month ago and I haven't changed anything. I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford a gym or to buy exercise equipment. I need to do indoor stuff that doesn't require any equipment. Im just doing the exercise bike for now.
Im 267 right now and short term trying to lose at least 30 pounds. Eventually I'd like to lose 70 overall.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I've started working out about a month ago and I haven't changed anything. I don't have a lot of money so I can't afford a gym or to buy exercise equipment. I need to do indoor stuff that doesn't require any equipment. Im just doing the exercise bike for now.
Im 267 right now and short term trying to lose at least 30 pounds. Eventually I'd like to lose 70 overall.

Oh, do I get that right and you just do indoor cycling for 30 minutes?
If that's so, yeah... that's pretty boring. Do you have a Nintendo Switch or do you like to read? That helps a lot to kill the boring cardio time. Otherwise I would recommend to go outside to do your cardio or do some bodyweight exercises, that's a lot more interesting than just sitting on a cardio machine and staring at the wall.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swimming

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips?

I used to do between an hour and an hour 15 minutes, but my situation has changed so i do about 30 minutes at noon and another 30 minutes when i get home. If you super set workouts like Bench Press and Rows or Overhead Press and Pull Ups then you can get quite a bit done in 30 minutes. My program has me working out between 3-5 days a week depending on which week i'm on.

Also a side note, i would personally recommend not losing 40 lbs in such a short time span, it would require a pretty severe caloric deficit and you're going to lose alot of muscle doing that, it's likely not a sustainable diet, and my #1 advice for anyone is to eat a diet that's sustainable for the rest of your life, going on a extreme 3-6 month long diet causes alot of people to fall off the rails and go back to their old habits. But i don't want to tell you what to do, if you want to lose a bunch of weight quickly and you can handle it, then do what makes you happy. I'm just offering suggestions.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Any of y'all use an app for counting sets and rest timing?
I been using the Stronglifts 5x5 for that purpose (moved on from the program itself a long time ago) but my phone keeps randomly closing the timer notification and it pisses me off.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Any of y'all use an app for counting sets and rest timing?
I been using the Stronglifts 5x5 for that purpose (moved on from the program itself a long time ago) but my phone keeps randomly closing the timer notification and it pisses me off.

I paid for Progression on Android because it has a good WearOS app and a Google Drive backup.

Before that, I used Jefit. It's cross platform and is the first app that pops up when you search for a "gym tracker."

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Any tips?

I do 5 sessions of an hour and a half a week. I find the key is variety. If I was doing the same thing on the same day, week in, week out I would hate it. But I mix it up and it keeps me interested. There are always interesting exercises you can chuck into the mix too.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips?

I do 4 - 5 sessions per week at an hour to 2 hours depending on the type of workout. Right now its averaging about 1.25 hours.

There are pros and cons to increasing/decreasing frequency. You can do harder more brutal workouts less often or you can go the stimulate and not annihilate route and train more frequently.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Any tips?

I generally do 2 workouts of 1-1.5 hours a week. On weeks where I get lucky I'll make it in three times. I tend to focus on one main lift per day, like squat or deadlift one day and bench the other and then do some accessory work afterword.