• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
303lbsx3 on squats today, needed just 1 for this 1s week. Feeling really good. This 1s week has been terrific honestly, only issue is i twisted my ankle on sunday so i didn't workout till today.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Guys I think I finally "got" being active at 31 years old, lol.

I've always been skinny (BMI 20, 21) except for a couple of years when I was a teenager, but I've always been the very definition of skinny fat. Boney with a bit of flab (lower back and thighs mostly). I hate exercise and maybe that's still the case, but still - last March I went back home for two weeks and I decided to do 40 min. of stationary bicycle every single day because I wanted to gorge on delicious local food with my family every single day. I hated it, it was boring, tough, and it felt endless every single time. But by the end of my holiday, it turns out I had lost a little bit of weight which might not be surprising, but I honestly wasn't expecting it. I don't have a stationary bicycle at home, so I opted to go for a long walk (40 min. to 1 hour, sometimes longer if I have time - and I'm a quite fast walker) every day if possible. Fast forward to today, and two things happened: 1) Yesterday it rained almost all day so I spent most of the day sitting, both at home and at work, and I felt bad because I didn't do any physical activity, that's maybe the first time I experience this. And 2) I've always been skinny yet for the first time in my life my abs are starting to poke up. This is incredibly motivating, I really don't ambition having an athletic body but I always wanted abs, lol.

Basically, I'm super happy with my decision to be more active and I'll have no choice but to join a gym soon because summer is already here and there's absolutely no way I can go for a daily walk under Tokyo's sun. I guess it's never too late. I'm absolutely getting ahead of myself, but I might look hotter in my 30s than in my 20s :P

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Saw some family members over the weekend I hadn't seen since the fall and got some "Wow, have you been working out?" reactions. Feels good.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I somehow pulled something in my back while doing sitting shoulder presses. Next day it turned into a knot, did some massaging, day after that I got a knot on the other side of my back. Serves me right for training with only 3 hours of sleep the night before. I'm going to try and focus more on my core, turns out thats my weak area. My pt was visibly dissapointed in me.

On the plus side, my biceps have never been bigger, and bodyfat is moving into the summer range. Still, this week made me feel a bit old.

Feb 26, 2019
guys, am I a savage? I always wipe benches down whenever I use them, but the other day I saw a guy spraying/wiping down the bar that he had just finished using. It has never even occurred to me to do this, and now I'm wondering if I'm one of the people that everyone else complains about because I don't wipe everything down...

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
guys, am I a savage? I always wipe benches down whenever I use them, but the other day I saw a guy spraying/wiping down the bar that he had just finished using. It has never even occurred to me to do this, and now I'm wondering if I'm one of the people that everyone else complains about because I don't wipe everything down...

Nobody does it at my gym. We probably should. Its pretty disgusting now that I think about it.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Finally strict pressed a pair of 70lb Kettlebells, and hit them for 4 reps :) Last time I got them overhead I had to use a little leg drive but not this time.
IMO the most important thing is wiping down the benches and machines. For bars unless you bled on it or left a bunch of chalk on it, its fine.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
What's FitnessEra's approach to working out arms? My workout foundation is based on compound movements, and a few assistance exercises after to work on my weak points (e.g. incline dumbbell press for upper chest, face pulls for rear delts, assisted pull ups, etc). But I don't do any specific arm movements like curls because my elbows can feel somewhat sore after a session. But I'm managing the soreness by paying close attention to my technique, as well as icing afterwards. I know the arms get work from just my typical workout, but I would like them to be more muscular entirely for aesthetic reasons.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What's FitnessEra's approach to working out arms? My workout foundation is based on compound movements, and a few assistance exercises after to work on my weak points (e.g. incline dumbbell press for upper chest, face pulls for rear delts, assisted pull ups, etc). But I don't do any specific arm movements like curls because my elbows can feel somewhat sore after a session. But I'm managing the soreness by paying close attention to my technique, as well as icing afterwards. I know the arms get work from just my typical workout, but I would like them to be more muscular entirely for aesthetic reasons.

I had a dedicated arm day for my first year of lifting, but after that i relied on bench, overhead press for triceps and rows/pull ups for biceps.

I recommend looking at athlean x videos about your elbow pain since hes a trainer and a physical therapist.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I had a dedicated arm day for my first year of lifting, but after that i relied on bench, overhead press for triceps and rows/pull ups for biceps.

I recommend looking at athlean x videos about your elbow pain since hes a trainer and a physical therapist.

Do you think a dedicated arm day made a significant difference with your arm growth, or do you think your arms would've grown at the same rate your first year by just doing your regular compound movements? This is also my first year of lifting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think a dedicated arm day made a significant difference with your arm growth, or do you think your arms would've grown at the same rate your first year by just doing your regular compound movements? This is also my first year of lifting.

It definitely made a difference, or at the very least, sped up the process.

The arm accessories allowed me to isolate those muscles while my chest/lats were able to recover from a previous workout.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
It definitely made a difference, or at the very least, sped up the process.

The arm accessories allowed me to isolate those muscles while my chest/lats were able to recover from a previous workout.

Cool I'm gonna try and do an arm day on Saturday and see how it feels. I work out on M, W, Fri. As long as I keep the arm work to isolation exercises I should be recovered by Monday I hope. If it affects my Monday workout I'll quit it.

Oct 30, 2017
385lbx1 on deadlift, and that ends another 351 session successfully.

Not sure why i am so effing beat on deadlift days now, ive been lifting for a long time and it was never like this for me, i am just destroyed. No other lift gets me close to feeling like this.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Stalled on the OHP yesterday, couldn't get 62.5kg up. The right side did but couldn't budge the left, pulled something in my neck in the process yeow.

Still, stalled on 60kg earlier in the year and came back to beat it, will get this on the next attempt, too.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Anyone here been through a surgical repair for a torn distal biceps tendon?

I tore mine a couple weeks ago doing preacher curls (went up in weight a little too quick after a layoff from lifting seriously and got a little off balance). MRI last week showed minimal possible remaining fibers and visit with orthopedist yesterday confirmed surgery was needed. Else it will fully tear and have the muscle roll up and create a visual deformity combined with 30-40% strength lost. It wasn't super painful when it happened, but could tell something was wrong from hearing and feeling the pop/ripping and felt nauseous short their after. Pain was then severe with any movement for the next week or so. Now it's mostly just sore and stiff and weak and only severe pain if forgetting and moving it quickly or pulling on something etc. (i.e. during tests with the orthopedist).

I have surgery on the 7th and then a long while (up to 3 months) in this crazy brace below and a sling (have mostly been in sling the past two weeks--now told to take it out often to loosen up and relieve some swelling pre-surgery). Surgery will be a small incision and using a graft to reattach the tendon to the bone.

laziNji.jpg

Anyway, just curious if anyone here had been through similar and had any tips, pointers and generally what to expect in the days, weeks and months post operation. Thanks!

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Can anyone recommend a strength program that doesnt rely so much on squats? I have done SS and 5x5 for months, I just don't enjoy squatting so regularly.
Cheers

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My goals are to get pound-for-pound stronger, meaning to increase my strength without gaining weight. (I think 180lbs is a good/maintainable weight for me).

I've been lifting for about 4 years now, and i'm going to turn 30 in august, is it likely that i can continue to increase my strength without gaining weight? Or am i naturally going to go downhill after 30?

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Static strength tends to peak in late 30s, maybe early 40s. If I can find it there was an analysis done on when certain physical traits like strength, explosiveness, and endurance peak throughout our life times.

Oct 30, 2017
My ohp is stronger at nearly 41 then when I was trainer even harder at 38. My lifetime best back then was 185x1, I hit 200x1 a few months ago. It depends on the person really. It would be really hard to put a number and say it's definitive.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Static strength tends to peak in late 30s, maybe early 40s. If I can find it there was an analysis done on when certain physical traits like strength, explosiveness, and endurance peak throughout our life times.
My ohp is stronger at nearly 41 then when I was trainer even harder at 38. My lifetime best back then was 185x1, I hit 200x1 a few months ago. It depends on the person really. It would be really hard to put a number and say it's definitive.

Thanks for the replies, i'm going to keep at it no matter what, i'm just trying to figure out whether i should temper my expectations. Sounds like there's still hopes for gains.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious - how long is yalls workout sessions and how often do some of y'all work out?
I'm only doing 30 minutes 3 times a week. I feel like it's too little, but honestly - working out is boring as hell to me. It's as boring as standing in line. I have the stamina to keep going but I just can't. I've tried music and podcasts and it doesn't help.
I'm trying to lose about 40 pounds in 2 or 3 months. Do longer and less frequent workouts work better or can you do more workouts but spend less time doing them? I feel like it's either 3 one hour workouts or 4-5 30 minute works outs a week.
Any tips?

And yeah, I'm counting my calories as well.
I'm on a 4 day gym regimen, with around an hour and a half of workout each of those days.
I have a leg, chest/tris, back/bis, and shoulders/traps/forearms day.
Usually to train each group it takes around 45ish minutes, thus, since I usually train two a day, I end around an hour and a half. Legs is a huge group which I also include glute exercises in, so it takes about that amount of time as well. It's important to say that my goal is hypertrophy and bulk so my rest times average around a minute and a half to 2 minutes between my sets. Minimum amount of sets I perform per exercise is 4. Maximum is 6 because I'm lifting heavy most of the time and I don't want to injure myself.
It's been working great for me so far.

Depending on your goals, your gym time will rest mostly on that. If your going for lean muscle or cutting, your rest times will be significantly shorter (I'm talking around 30 seconds between sets, thus reducing your total gym time). But you may need to increase the amount of minimum sets you are doing per exercise as well. Also, you will not be lifting as heavy as those that are strength training or going for hypertrophy. So, more average reps, sets, and less weight. I found that when I was going lean that the upside down pyramid helped me out tremendously. Also, super sets are extremely important!

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone got a good technique video for DL's? I am
About to start doing them again and I have sciatica so it's kind of tough to find something that works for me.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a store today to grab some scales and all 3 display models I tried ended up returning a much different weight. After experiencing this and the fact that the scales at my gym are busted as fuck, what am I supposed to do?

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wiping down the bar is not a good thing. More like a way to ruin a barbell by introducing rust. A guy at my gym wipes down the barbell and it seriously annoys me.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got a good technique video for DL's? I am
About to start doing them again and I have sciatica so it's kind of tough to find something that works for me.

Have you tried using a hex/trap bar? Not sure if the difference in leverage would make a difference for your issues but it might be worth a try.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a store today to grab some scales and all 3 display models I tried ended up returning a much different weight. After experiencing this and the fact that the scales at my gym are busted as fuck, what am I supposed to do?
Find a place that does a legit body fat reading. but id also check amazon for scales but then again lately they have been some suspect ones because of fake reviews. so idk lol

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Not really sure if this fits the theme of the OT but here goes.

Got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 26 right before christmas last year and have spent the last 6 months in a mental rut because of the shitty news which sapped the last drop of energy right out of me. Type 2 has run in my family for generations and I still beat myself up for not taking it seriously before getting the diagnose myself.

I have just recently started my journey for a better lifestyle and have changed my diet and physical exercise(there was none, to be honest) to battle my diabetes, not only for my physical well-being, but as a sort of "last resort" to help me battle the anxiety and depression that I've built up over the last few years as well.

When I got diagnosed with diabetes before christmas my HbA1c level was 7.1%, which is well within the range to be considered diabetic if I've understood things correctly. But in the last 7-8 weeks that I've worked on my diet and exercise I've lost 20 lbs and when I got my HbA1c checked yesterday my bloodsugar level was down to 5.9% which is considered normal.

The low dose of metformin I'm on probably plays a huge role in all of this, and I still have 140 lbs(yikes) to go before I reach my ideal weight, and while I don't know what the future holds I have a goal of getting off the metformin and be able to live a healty lifestyle without being dependent on medicine. Call me crazy and naive, but I really hope It works out for me.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. People actually bleed on barbells from deadlifts? I'm sorry, but that's freaking disgusting. Especially if you don't wipe that shit down afterwords.
If you know you're going to DL on a day, wear some kind of leggings or sleeve if you're going to scrape the shins. Smh

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use Google keep to doc my routine and use the black iron beast calculator to get my routine numbers. Been using it for years, my go-to setup.
Yeah same here, I've also used the FiveOneThree app but I actually prefer the print out (from BlackIronBeast) over having to take my phone with me.
Wish he would update the site with some of the Forever things.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a couple questions that I think Fitness Era can help with.

1) Do people progressively overload or attempt to do so while they are on a cut?
2) Anyone have any experience with quadricep tendonitis? I'm actually trying to schedule an appointment with my doctor right now but was looking up some stuff and felt like that might be what I have. A pain above my knee if my knee is bent too long, a dull pain during squatting types of movement, and on rare occasion it just feels super shitty in the morning. Thinking that if that is what the doctor tells me it is that I should try to avoid anything like squatting for like a month

Nov 1, 2017
This time I'm going to do it.

After slowly coming down from 245lbs (5'10 male) been stuck around 180-190 for several years. During that time I've been doing a lot of weight training and I look better because of it but my body fat % hasn't improved by much and I'm still overweight - man boobs, belly, and fat around my biceps. I haven't been lean of any sort literally since I was a child. I've been fat my entire life. Its literally a dream of mine to lift up my shirt and see not flabby flesh covering my muscles but solid abs and pecs, I'm not joking as sad as it is.

I'm sick and tired of feeling ugly and inferior because I'm overweight. I'm tired of feeling like my confidence is nowhere near where it should be and its preventing me from being happy and comfortable in my skin. I'm tired of being being self-conscious and thinking how much better I would look if my face was leaner and less round, If I could look better in clothes, if I didn't have to worry about taking my shirt off. And now I've had the worst luck of my life and made some huge mistakes because of it but I'm trying to make the best out of it. I have to do this. Its either do it now or waste another year making the same mistakes.

For the first time ever I'm forcing myself to count all of my calories - no exceptions. In the past I made excuses of why I couldn't and there were genuine reasons why it was hard to eat right. I'm now going to do weight-training as I'm cutting, and cardio after or on my rest days. I'm going to attack this problem from every angle I possibly can until I win against my body through dedication and willpower. There's nothing that would make me happier than finally being lean and staying there after a literal decade of trying and failing. I can't let myself fail again, there's no plan B.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Did a mile of walking lunges, the cramps are real
continuously or broke it down into sets? i get tired after like 6 steps each leg lmao.

Wow. People actually bleed on barbells from deadlifts? I'm sorry, but that's freaking disgusting. Especially if you don't wipe that shit down afterwords.
If you know you're going to DL on a day, wear some kind of leggings or sleeve if you're going to scrape the shins. Smh

also bleeding from your hands when the callus rips