• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else have experience breaking up your workouts in half?

I used to do my 1 hour workout around 11 AM, but now i'm unable to do the full hour, so i do half at 11 and the other half at 4, the only problem is i have dramatically less energy at 4 than i do at 11, does anyone else have this issue or heard of others having the same issue?

Human

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know a good resource for dealing with Iliotibial band syndrome (Runner's Knee)? Wikipedia uses this as a source for strengthening exercises, but I was looking for something more reputable.

For now I'm going to lay off the squats, since that's probably the main cause of it. Will have to come up with some other exercises to replace it.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody else have experience breaking up your workouts in half?

I used to do my 1 hour workout around 11 AM, but now i'm unable to do the full hour, so i do half at 11 and the other half at 4, the only problem is i have dramatically less energy at 4 than i do at 11, does anyone else have this issue or heard of others having the same issue?
Have you tried pre workout or BCAA Energy?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why i keep clicking on diet/nutrition related threads int he OT forum, i know it's going to piss me off and i do it anyway.

Did you guys know that diet coke will kill you? also Calories don't matter, best to just ignore them.

tenor.gif

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, I'm planning on switching my work out split to a push pull legs regime.

I'm looking for advise on how to really maximize working all muscle groups through the week.

I'm planning on getting through the split twice a week with a rest day in between (I'll probably do some light cardio or play football).

Push - Flat dumbbell chest press, incline press, overhead dumbbell press, military press, chest dips, cable flys, lateral raises, skull crushers, tricep push downs and kick backs.

Pull - Pullups (weighted), lat pull downs, pendley rows, t bar rows, cable rows, face pulls, reverse peck deck, and a biceps routine.

Legs - Squats, front squats, deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions, leg curs and calve raises.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm planning on switching my work out split to a push pull legs regime.

I'm looking for advise on how to really maximize working all muscle groups through the week.

I'm planning on getting through the split twice a week with a rest day in between (I'll probably do some light cardio or play football).

Push - Flat dumbbell chest press, incline press, overhead dumbbell press, military press, chest dips, cable flys, lateral raises, skull crushers, tricep push downs and kick backs.

Pull - Pullups (weighted), lat pull downs, pendley rows, t bar rows, cable rows, face pulls, reverse peck deck, and a biceps routine.

Legs - Squats, front squats, deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions, leg curs and calve raises.

Are you training for aesthetics or strength?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Are you training for aesthetics or strength?
Ideally I'd like to make progress in both, but for the immediate future it'll be aesthetics.

My goal for the first few weeks after my exam period is to try and have a mini-cut until my abs are visible again, so training for pure aesthetics initially. After which I'll attempt a lean bulk, increase my calories and try and make strength gains.

I'm also planning on fasted cardio for most days during my mini-cut. After which my cardio will reduce to playing football once a week, morning cardio twice a week and swimming once a week.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How much can two days of eating more calories than I should screw up my progress of losing fat? I got myself into a mindset where I'm very cautious about what I eat... and when I eat at a relatives house I have no control about what they make for dinner.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be able to do 50 push ups easily... Since Im on nights I decided Id try to do some here and there. Can't do anywhere near that anymore.
Did 5 sets of 20 three days ago and I still have doms. Just ridiculous. I think I have some awful recovery genetics.

So my question is do I haveto wait for my doms to go away to do it again? Like is it just damaging my chest to do push ups while it aches?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How much can two days of eating more calories than I should screw up my progress of losing fat? I got myself into a mindset where I'm very cautious about what I eat... and when I eat at a relatives house I have no control about what they make for dinner.

It depends on how big of a deficit you're on the other 5 days of the week, and how overboard you're going on the weekend.

I used to be able to do 50 push ups easily... Since Im on nights I decided Id try to do some here and there. Can't do anywhere near that anymore.
Did 5 sets of 20 three days ago and I still have doms. Just ridiculous. I think I have some awful recovery genetics.

So my question is do I haveto wait for my doms to go away to do it again? Like is it just damaging my chest to do push ups while it aches?

You can do other exercises while your chest/delts/triceps recover from the push ups. For example, Pull ups will workout a completely different group (Biceps/Lats).

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I've been doing crossfit for nearly half a year now and I think I'm ready to adventure into the gym. Do you guys have some gym recommendations and a good aesthetics routine? Thanks :0

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I've been doing crossfit for nearly half a year now and I think I'm ready to adventure into the gym. Do you guys have some gym recommendations and a good aesthetics routine? Thanks :0

I'd just look for the cheapest gym in your area, you don't need alot of fancy equipment. Squat rack, bench, dumb bells, a gym doesn't need a bunch of fancy machines to be effective.

As far as program, i'd pick any of the beginner body builder programs in the OP.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd just look for the cheapest gym in your area, you don't need alot of fancy equipment. Squat rack, bench, dumb bells, a gym doesn't need a bunch of fancy machines to be effective.

As far as program, i'd pick any of the beginner body builder programs in the OP.

It all looks so jarring, same with the diet. Like I just feel kinda stupid that I can't really process the food aspect of it. :/

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It all looks so jarring, same with the diet. Like I just feel kinda stupid that I can't really process the food aspect of it. :/

Just remember that there's not just one way to do this. There's a million programs and a million different recipes you can make. As far as diet goes, you need to track your calories, this will give you a good idea of how many calories you need to maintain your current body weight. If you want to gain muscle, i'd recommend going on a small surplus, if you want to lose fat, i'd recommend going on a small deficit.

Make sure you're getting enough protein, depending on who you ask they might tell you that you only need half a gram per lb of body weight, and some people will recommend as much as 1 grams per lb of body weight, i personally do about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight just to make sure that i'm getting enough, but i don't think you need that much.

The types of foods you eat to hit those nutritional goals are up to you, some people do high carb/low fat because they like the taste of carbs, some people do high fat/low carb because they like the tastes of fats. The only recommendation i make is to make sure you're on a sustainable diet that you can do for the rest of your life. Going on a "3 month diet" that leaves you feeling starved or eating foods that you don't enjoy often leads to people falling off the wagon and going back to their old habits.

Programs are far less complicated, if you're a beginner and you've never lifted before then pretty much any program will work, you gain muscle very quickly and easily as a beginner.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Could anyone comment on the above for me please?

My biggest worry is the large volume each workout.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remember that there's not just one way to do this. There's a million programs and a million different recipes you can make. As far as diet goes, you need to track your calories, this will give you a good idea of how many calories you need to maintain your current body weight. If you want to gain muscle, i'd recommend going on a small surplus, if you want to lose fat, i'd recommend going on a small deficit.

Make sure you're getting enough protein, depending on who you ask they might tell you that you only need half a gram per lb of body weight, and some people will recommend as much as 1 grams per lb of body weight, i personally do about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight just to make sure that i'm getting enough, but i don't think you need that much.

The types of foods you eat to hit those nutritional goals are up to you, some people do high carb/low fat because they like the taste of carbs, some people do high fat/low carb because they like the tastes of fats. The only recommendation i make is to make sure you're on a sustainable diet that you can do for the rest of your life. Going on a "3 month diet" that leaves you feeling starved or eating foods that you don't enjoy often leads to people falling off the wagon and going back to their old habits.

Programs are far less complicated, if you're a beginner and you've never lifted before then pretty much any program will work, you gain muscle very quickly and easily as a beginner.

Calorie counting is just a little sensitive for me as I used to have an eating disorder where I would be as low as 120s as a 5'10 male. I'm currently in the 150's and probably in the best shape of my life due to the crossfit, but I feel like I can tone it up more. I just feel like diet is the last thing holding me back in a sense? As my current living situation doesn't lend to homecooked meals, and I don't do takeout either.

Bread based foods make my life a lot easier. I guess I just need help finding a very simple and tasty diet that I can easily maintain. I'll probably do the routine in the OP. Seems easy enough as I know the form and all.

Oct 25, 2017
Could anyone comment on the above for me please?

My biggest worry is the large volume each workout.
My two cents: Yes, that's way too much volume, and you've filled your workout with stuff that doesn't really do much for you. Consider the workout I do:

Saturday: Squat, Overhead Press, Pull-ups
Monday: Squat, Overhead Press, Pull-ups
Wednesday: Squat, Overhead Press, Pull-ups

That's it for strength work. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday I do conditioning work as per the program I use (Tactical Barbell). Friday is off.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017

Considering the frequency, that amount of volume is redundant.

I think you could still do PPL with some shedding and reorganization. Considering this is 6 days a week, 1 real day off a week would be a good idea.

Push 1: Tricep Pushdowns, Incline Bench Press, DB OHP, Cable Flyes
Push 2: Military Press, DB Chest Press, Lateral Raises, Skullcrushers

Pull 1: Weighted Pullups, Lat Pulldown, Facepulls, biceps exercises
Pull 2: Pendlay Rows, Cable Rows, Reverse Pec Dec, biceps exercises

Leg 1: Back Squats, Front Squats, Leg Curls
Leg 2: Deadlift, Leg Press, Calves

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know of any good online coaches? I broke my hip last week (mountain biking crash) and I want to get a weights routine put together that has absolutely no hip involvement.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy. I just won't do any cardio stuff for fear of injury. Lifting heavy stuff is the lazy man's safe sport for me. I mean the whole point of this for me personally is for health benefits. If I'm injuring myself then that defeats the purpose.
If health is what you are after avoiding cardio might be a mistake given the #1 cause of death...

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If you think you need to be doing cardio for heart health, then I'd strongly disagree. You can get your heart worked out just fine lifting.
I would think this is true for having a healthy heart and preventing heart disease but given how many body builders I've seen who get tired easily I doubt it is true for performance/endurance. I have nothing better to do so I'll look over some research right now.

Oct 30, 2017
I would think this is true for having a healthy heart and preventing heart disease but given how many body builders I've seen who get tired easily I doubt it is true for performance/endurance. I have nothing better to do so I'll look over some research right now.

I would not look to people like that for real world results. Lots of drugs going on there.

Oct 25, 2017
I lifted hard and heavy for years and never used steroids, and my heart health was shit. I didn't even realize how unhealthy I had become until I started a proper conditioning program.

Oct 30, 2017
I lifted hard and heavy for years and never used steroids, and my heart health was shit. I didn't even realize how unhealthy I had become until I started a proper conditioning program.

I would honestly blame diet before anything else if I'm being honest here. There are tons of factors involved. Usually I'm the only person not winded doing anything fitness related and all I do is lift, get an much sleep as I can and eat well (and not eat, fasting helps too). Stress is another major one for most people, I'm extremely lucky that I'm usually stress free.

Oct 25, 2017
I would honestly blame diet before anything else if I'm being honest here. There are tons of factors involved. Usually I'm the only person not winded doing anything fitness related and all I do is lift, get an much sleep as I can and eat well (and not eat, fasting helps too). Stress is another major one for most people, I'm extremely lucky that I'm usually stress free.

I'm mid-40s and 240 lbs and I do a weekly 60 minute jog without getting winded. Yes I drink beet juice and eat spinach, but that's mostly because I do regular conditioning work.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Roommate went from 2000 calories a day and no exercise to ~1100 calories a day and exercise every day. "Surely he can't keep that up," I said, 6 months ago.

Turns out yes he can so now I've been shamed into being healthy too.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the frequency, that amount of volume is redundant.

I think you could still do PPL with some shedding and reorganization. Considering this is 6 days a week, 1 real day off a week would be a good idea.

Push 1: Tricep Pushdowns, Incline Bench Press, DB OHP, Cable Flyes
Push 2: Military Press, DB Chest Press, Lateral Raises, Skullcrushers

Pull 1: Weighted Pullups, Lat Pulldown, Facepulls, biceps exercises
Pull 2: Pendlay Rows, Cable Rows, Reverse Pec Dec, biceps exercises

Leg 1: Back Squats, Front Squats, Leg Curls
Leg 2: Deadlift, Leg Press, Calves
Cheers for the reply and VenomousCoffee

I'll give the above a go and mess around with it, seeing how I feel with the first few workouts and adjust accordingly.

For reference, I'm switching from a chest and bis, legs, back and shoulders and tris split.

I'll be about this community page and will look to join the discord for more engagement this summer.

I've made big strides with my fitness the past 12 months and really want to capitalize on it!

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Wait what? 1100 cals? He not eating that.

He definitely was, for the beginning. He raised that up gradually as he lost weight and gained muscle, but he kept that up for way longer than I thought he could. Not sure how long he stayed at 1100, I just remember it being longer than I thought it was reasonable. He had a nutritionist with him though so I assumed it was healthy? He seems in great shape right now.

(Worth noting he is not the tallest of people)

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a decent order through during the UK Gymshark sale

Few pairs of t-shirts and shorts which I can also wear on holiday.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
legs feeling small. did a lot of cardio and and reps. took the time yesterday to do leg accessories i normally don't do that often anymore which includes hip thrust.

Oct 25, 2017
Long walks (5 mile plus), tire flipping, swimming and CrossFit circuits, etc. Again, I avoid cardio as much as humanly possible, so really not sure the best way to quantify.

Most runners I know in life are a bag of injured bones by their early 40s.
You can define fitness for yourself however you want. And yes, *excessive* running can lead to lots of problems. But, the stuff I've seen would say that if you can't run 3 miles nonstop you're unfit--we can quibble about the specifics, of course, but I don't think long walks or flipping tires (unless you're talking about the big 600+ pounders without stopping) will be it. But the idea that someone can get there primarily through diet and lifting weights is just not true. Completing strength-endurance or high-intensity tasks requires adaptations that lifting weights and diet don't provide.

If you can flip a 600 pound tire the length of a football field without stopping without any prep work, then that's great, but it's highly unusual.

Oct 30, 2017
You can define fitness for yourself however you want. And yes, *excessive* running can lead to lots of problems. But, the stuff I've seen would say that if you can't run 3 miles nonstop you're unfit--we can quibble about the specifics, of course, but I don't think long walks or flipping tires (unless you're talking about the big 600+ pounders without stopping) will be it. But the idea that someone can get there primarily through diet and lifting weights is just not true. Completing strength-endurance or high-intensity tasks requires adaptations that lifting weights and diet don't provide.

If you can flip a 600 pound tire the length of a football field without stopping without any prep work, then that's great, but it's highly unusual.

Then we differ on what we consider a benchmark for a healthy heart.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Did some Squatting (Front and Back), single leg work, some abs, and some hill sprints. With low rest times worked up a good sweat and got some solid work in.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Hey Fitness ERA!

I've just begun working out, from home. Im not overweight, you'd perhaps even call me somewhat underweight (I can eat A LOT without gaining) which yeah, has made me begin working out for a healthier and better lifestyle.

Im doing some things, mostly from home right now. Unfortunaly I currently have a broken arm, which means lots of squats, situps and cardio.

My question to boot is, if I got the workout cramp (don't know the exact term for this) the day after training (in my legs) is it bad to go for a run today too?

Im motivated as hell and frankly want to do my daily run but I realise that Im very out of shape and that it maybe isn't too good run every day if your muscles hurt somewhat the day after

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Hey Fitness ERA!

I've just begun working out, from home. Im not overweight, you'd perhaps even call me somewhat underweight (I can eat A LOT without gaining) which yeah, has made me begin working out for a healthier and better lifestyle.

Im doing some things, mostly from home right now. Unfortunaly I currently have a broken arm, which means lots of squats, situps and cardio.

My question to boot is, if I got the workout cramp (don't know the exact term for this) the day after training (in my legs) is it bad to go for a run today too?

Im motivated as hell and frankly want to do my daily run but I realise that Im very out of shape and that it maybe isn't too good run every day if your muscles hurt somewhat the day after

A gentle run shouldn't be a problem. Cramps can often be dehydration and lack of salt so make sure you're drinking plenty.