• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious who invented the deadlift, and i was surprised to see it was invented in the 1700's, imagine telling him about all the technological breakthroughs we've had and then telling him that we still haven't found a more effective lift than the deadlift lol

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Fitness ERA!

I've just begun working out, from home. Im not overweight, you'd perhaps even call me somewhat underweight (I can eat A LOT without gaining) which yeah, has made me begin working out for a healthier and better lifestyle.

Im doing some things, mostly from home right now. Unfortunaly I currently have a broken arm, which means lots of squats, situps and cardio.

My question to boot is, if I got the workout cramp (don't know the exact term for this) the day after training (in my legs) is it bad to go for a run today too?

Im motivated as hell and frankly want to do my daily run but I realise that Im very out of shape and that it maybe isn't too good run every day if your muscles hurt somewhat the day after
As the user said before me, drinking a ton of water definitely has helped me with my own cramps.
If you have a foam roller, you could also stimulate blood flow in your legs to help recovery and flexibility. I highly recommend it.
Kinda hurts at first, especially when using on the legs and glutes, but you feel amazing after

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
I was curious who invented the deadlift, and i was surprised to see it was invented in the 1700's, imagine telling him about all the technological breakthroughs we've had and then telling him that we still haven't found a more effective lift than the deadlift lol
I wonder what he would think of all the new variations of deadlift that have been invented, like Jeffersons or Zerchers.

Oct 30, 2017
3x385lb on deadlift today. Felt so hard, but I made it. Had just enough strength to hit the ghd after and some dumbbell arm work. Pretty good day. 5s week up next.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So i guess tweaking my traps is an annual tradition now. Wasn't even weight lifting, i was lifting a heavy mechanism at work. About 5 minutes later i could feel pain when turning my head to the side.

The pain isn't that bad, it's just annoying and will prevent me from working out for the next few days, also not great for sleeping.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So i guess tweaking my traps is an annual tradition now. Wasn't even weight lifting, i was lifting a heavy mechanism at work. About 5 minutes later i could feel pain when turning my head to the side.

The pain isn't that bad, it's just annoying and will prevent me from working out for the next few days, also not great for sleeping.
You're lucky. When I tweaked my trap in early April that shit hurt everytime I moved. Sucked so bad

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You're lucky. When I tweaked my trap in early April that shit hurt everytime I moved. Sucked so bad

The first time i ever did it i didnt know what "traps" were, i thought i hurt my neck. I used to sleep with 3 pillows stacked up, so my chin was nearly touching my chest.

Lets just say that wasnt a good idea, i woke up and literally had to swing my leg to build up enough momentum to get out of bed.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I decided I'll try out calisthenics stuff for a while. Gonna buy a dip bar and try to get the L-sits and maybe handstands eventually. Been trying to frog stand and keep falling on my face.

The calisthenics channel I've followed for exercises recommends circuits. Last night I tried:

Push ups -> Ab twists -> Lunges -> Medicine ball push ups -> Squats and then do that for 4 circuits
I'm going to work in back work like rows when I get the dip bar.

Its good to get a good workout done in quick time and it really pushes the cardio.

I'm assuming however it will lead to lower strength gains then if I just did regular sets not in a circuit?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I decided I'll try out calisthenics stuff for a while. Gonna buy a dip bar and try to get the L-sits and maybe handstands eventually. Been trying to frog stand and keep falling on my face.

The calisthenics channel I've followed for exercises recommends circuits. Last night I tried:

Push ups -> Ab twists -> Lunges -> Medicine ball push ups -> Squats and then do that for 4 circuits

Its good to get a good workout done in quick time and it really pushes the cardio.

I'm assuming however it will lead to lower strength gains then if I just did regular sets not in a circuit?
I may sound ignorant af but what are circuits? Just as you described? All those exercises in a row is one circuit and then repeat is circuiting?

Oct 25, 2017

You'll see a decrease in your max strength levels doing circuits like that (if that's all you're doing).

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll get to know my body fat percentage soon. Looking at some pics online, I'd estimate myself somewhere in the 15-20% range.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I may sound ignorant af but what are circuits? Just as you described? All those exercises in a row is one circuit and then repeat is circuiting?
Yeah, it is also called HIIT training although HIIT can include any workouts like battle ropes and sprints etc. I guess you could work things like that into your circuit too.
I don't know if the guy in this video is any good at this stuff but he gives an example

You'll see a decrease in your max strength levels doing circuits like that (if that's all you're doing).
I didnt think HIIT ate at muscle like regular cardio?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is also called HIIT training although HIIT can include any workouts like battle ropes and sprints etc. I guess you could work things like that into your circuit too.
I don't know if the guy in this video is any good at this stuff but he gives an example

I didnt think HIIT ate at muscle like regular cardio?
I'll use examples from my own training. I do max strength (MS) work 3 days a week. So squats, presses, and weighted pull-ups, heavy weight and very low reps. I can also work strength endurance (SE) sometimes. That's very high reps (max I've done is 15 sets of 50 reps each, with limited time between sets) on circuits of squats, presses, rows, etc with very light weight.

Now, if I do MS regularly and mix in some SE from time to time, I'll keep my strength level high and build my muscular endurance. So I could run/sprint farther, do more push-ups, etc. But if I only do SE and ignore MS too long, my push-up count would actually go down, because muscular endurance requires max strength of a certain level.

That's what I meant.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be starting my cut in a couple of weeks probably and was wondering how much you guys generally lose a week on a cut. It's been a while for me. I'll be around 180 (I'm 5'8") and probably like 18% body fat. I'm hoping to get to 10% or at least close. In the past I would just eat at a 500 calorie deficit to go for 1 pound a week but was wondering if it'd be safe to lose maybe 2 a week.

Jun 8, 2019
37, 6 ft 2 in, 195 lbs, haven't picked up a barbell in a year + a few months. Really hungry to get back into in, and want to think about the best way to get back in to the game.

I spent my 20s as a runner. Great conditioning, zero strength. Spend a good chunk of my 30s making up for that, but never got beyond a pretty basic barbell program or got my lifts as high I'd have liked them. I've been struggling to keep up with regular workouts given how busy I am these days, and lately feel like both have been falling off.

My goal right now is to find a plan that can help be reacquire some of that speed and strength and maybe eventually go beyond where I was. At the same time, I need to acknowledge that my time is limited, I'm not going to recover as well as I used to, and that I need a plan I am actually going to do. With all of that in mind, here what I currently have in mind

Monday
Squat / Bench / Chins / Bent dumbbell rows / Back extensions

Tuesday
800m intervals

Wednesday
Recovery/Mobility (stretching, foam rolling, etc)

Thursday
Deadlift / OHP / Chins / Dumbbell lunges / dumbbell bench

Friday
lighter weight / body weight / Core workout

Saturday
Long run

Sunday
Recovery/mobility

I think this gives me everything I am looking for, while still giving me room to grow and add more ambitious steps to the routine if it is going well (for example, adding in power cleans, or replacing the Friday workout with something more aggressive). Even though I designed this to be something I could do consistently, the first month or so is going to be hell - will definitely need to make sure I have at least 9 hours to sleep every night. Curious if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations. If not, I'll just look forward to getting my ass back into gear ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
37, 6 ft 2 in, 195 lbs, haven't picked up a barbell in a year + a few months. Really hungry to get back into in, and want to think about the best way to get back in to the game.

I spent my 20s as a runner. Great conditioning, zero strength. Spend a good chunk of my 30s making up for that, but never got beyond a pretty basic barbell program or got my lifts as high I'd have liked them. I've been struggling to keep up with regular workouts given how busy I am these days, and lately feel like both have been falling off.

My goal right now is to find a plan that can help be reacquire some of that speed and strength and maybe eventually go beyond where I was. At the same time, I need to acknowledge that my time is limited, I'm not going to recover as well as I used to, and that I need a plan I am actually going to do. With all of that in mind, here what I currently have in mind

Monday
Squat / Bench / Chins / Bent dumbbell rows / Back extensions

Tuesday
800m intervals

Wednesday
Recovery/Mobility (stretching, foam rolling, etc)

Thursday
Deadlift / OHP / Chins / Dumbbell lunges / dumbbell bench

Friday
lighter weight / body weight / Core workout

Saturday
Long run

Sunday
Recovery/mobility

I think this gives me everything I am looking for, while still giving me room to grow and add more ambitious steps to the routine if it is going well (for example, adding in power cleans, or replacing the Friday workout with something more aggressive). Even though I designed this to be something I could do consistently, the first month or so is going to be hell - will definitely need to make sure I have at least 9 hours to sleep every night. Curious if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations. If not, I'll just look forward to getting my ass back into gear ASAP.
I think it looks solid overall. It's pretty similar to what I do. My first criticism would be that you are probably going to find those lifting days to be too much, especially after a long hiatus. I'd stick to the first 3 lifts you have here for Monday and Thursday.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What lift do you guys look forward to the most?

For me its low volume bench press, the lift j dread is high volume squats.

Oct 30, 2017

For years I hated squats and loved deadlifting. Ohp was 2nd favorite, bench I never cared for.

Now I hate deadlifting, enjoy squats a lot (thank you elitefts yoke bar), still like ohp and still impartial to bench.

As I age, deadlifting is the hardest by a long shot. The switch to sumo also has been interesting. I love the hand positioning a lot more, but it's so much harder off the ground.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
For years I hated squats and loved deadlifting. Ohp was 2nd favorite, bench I never cared for.

Now I hate deadlifting, enjoy squats a lot (thank you elitefts yoke bar), still like ohp and still impartial to bench.

As I age, deadlifting is the hardest by a long shot. The switch to sumo also has been interesting. I love the hand positioning a lot more, but it's so much harder off the ground.

I would love to use those types of barbells, it looks so much more comfortable.

Jun 8, 2019
I think it looks solid overall. It's pretty similar to what I do. My first criticism would be that you are probably going to find those lifting days to be too much, especially after a long hiatus. I'd stick to the first 3 lifts you have here for Monday and Thursday.
Yeah, that's good advice. My thinking was that additional dumbbell work was worth adding on when I was only going 2x a week, but the fact the my body just isn't used to this right now is a more compelling argument to wait at least a few months before taking that step.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone here tried higher frequency training, didn't work for them, and stuck with the typical single body part a day that did work? Wondering if I should try that.

Also what is a good app that calculates how much weight per reps, etc, and what you need to need for the following weeks as far as progressive overload? Free of course lol. Thanks!

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017

Deadlift or Front Squats. My Saturday training session is Deadlifts, Pause Front Squats, Pause Back Squats, and Sled Suicides. Look forward to it every week. In general though I look forward to all of my training.

Anyone here tried higher frequency training, didn't work for them, and stuck with the typical single body part a day that did work? Wondering if I should try that.
I prefer moderate frequency training for most lifts. 2 times per week for Overhead, Squats, Bench, Rows, Pullups etc... 1 time per week for Deadlift seems to be fine. The exception being that my grip dependent deadlift variations are fine to do on a day separate from regular deadlifts.

Lifts that are highly technical like Snatching or Clean and Jerking, where your technical proficiency as opposed to your strength is the limiting factor are good at higher frequencies. or things that have no eccentric component which limits muscle tissue breakdown.

Anyone here use Fat Gripz barbell/dumbbell grips?

They worth it? I'm more interested in whether they'd affect biceps/triceps development or if it's just purely forearms.
I like them a lot. Its mostly forearms though.

Last edited:

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tips for someone trying to lift with Degenerative Disc Disease? Some say I shouldn't squat or deadlift, others say I definitely should and it would help my condition...

What say you?

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Tips for someone trying to lift with Degenerative Disc Disease? Some say I shouldn't squat or deadlift, others say I definitely should and it would help my condition...

What say you?
Not a professional opinion by any means which is something you should get.

That said this is my OPINION. I would think building up hip and spinal erector strength/mass would be beneficial in the long term. I would be leery of heavy Squats and Deadlifts., but reps with a focus on quality movement with light/moderate weight should be a safe way to build the musculature to support you later in life.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Been running 1-2 miles a day the past few weeks and loving it. 80-100 push ups a day also. And some Bicycles (abs)

Need to add a couple more exercises to my routine so I can switch it up day to day. Any suggestions?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So I ordered some creatine using labdoor to source it. I've always avoided it due to hearing mixed things and worry about bloating, but I think the little extra push would be nice. How do you guys recommend supplementing it?

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Need to lose 2% more bf this summer by end of Aug. Time to spruce up the cardio with hiits and go calorie deficit.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
FitnessERA, any suggestions for healthy meals or workout adjustments?

I'm currently 5'9", 150-154 lbs trying to chisel some love handles.

My current workout routine (3-5 times / week, 45-70 mins):

2/3 mile run under 16/24 mins
Knee-to-elbow crunches (3 sets of 30)
Leg raises (3 sets of 20)
Finish off with arm, leg workouts, and rock climbing; rotate between the three (typically 3 sets of 15 for arm and legs)

Eating habits:

I eat fast food often but stay under 2500 kcal consistently. I'll occasionally make meals such as a bratwurst with a side of broccoli (combining unhealthy and healthy foods for a meal)
Other rotational meals include: spaghetti and meatballs; 8oz steak and mashed potatoes; Japanese curry with chicken katsu.
Often chop up romaine lettuce with caesar dressing and croutons to help push the food down.

Feel free to ask for the specifics

Nov 7, 2017
So I ordered some creatine using labdoor to source it. I've always avoided it due to hearing mixed things and worry about bloating, but I think the little extra push would be nice. How do you guys recommend supplementing it?
5 mg every day

Some people do creatine loading which is
  • Take 20-25g (or 0.3g/kg) for 5-7 days (Loading)
  • Then take 5g daily for 3-4 weeks (Maintenance)
  • Take a week or two off creatine, and then repeat (Wash-out)

I personally think loading isn't necessary unless you think you are a nonresponder

Edit: yea 5g not mg

Last edited:

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
i believe the post above meant 5g not 5mg?
because i'd recommend a daily 5g. the loading is not necessary.

i take it with my protein right after every workout.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Finish off with arm, leg workouts, and rock climbing; rotate between the three (typically 3 sets of 15 for arm and legs)

Eating habits:

I eat fast food often but stay under 2500 kcal consistently. I'll occasionally make meals such as a bratwurst with a side of broccoli (combining unhealthy and healthy foods for a meal)
Other rotational meals include: spaghetti and meatballs; 8oz steak and mashed potatoes; Japanese curry with chicken katsu.
Often chop up romaine lettuce with caesar dressing and croutons to help push the food down.

Obviously stop eating so much fast food if you want to speed up the love handle situation. Do more cardio. Cook. Less spaghetti and dressing, more broccoli and lettuce If you're cooking real brats they're not that bad. I make burger patties sometimes and just don't use buns - eat it alongside some veggies.

You didn't mention fish so add that. You also didn't list fruit.

What do you drink?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eating habits:

Stop eating fast food
Drink more water.
The back squat and deadlift

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all right.do pretty much take how much you want it really doesn't matter. Also creatine doesn't make you bloat

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Obviously stop eating so much fast food if you want to speed up the love handle situation. Do more cardio. Cook. Less spaghetti and dressing, more broccoli and lettuce If you're cooking real brats they're not that bad. I make burger patties sometimes and just don't use buns - eat it alongside some veggies.

You didn't mention fish so add that. You also didn't list fruit.

What do you drink?

I drink mostly water, 3-4 times from my 32oz hydroflask / day (will drink more than that if I exceed my daily caloric intake or eat unhealthy foods) along with 1 glass bottled coke / day; I avoid drinks that have processed sugars, opting for iced tea or sweetened drinks that have simple sugars.

Didn't mention fish since I'm not a fan of eating them. For fruits, forgot to mention bananas and apples daily, will snack on a mango too.

I also eat mushrooms, asparagus, and onions for veggies.

Gonna be difficult for me to give up on carbs but I'll cut further than what I eat currently and see how it goes; had a difficult time completing a 3 miler when I eat little to no carbs.

The back squat and deadlift

I used to deadlift but got tentative when I threw my back years ago doing so. Heard recently from two trainers that incline press, deadlifting, and squats are vital to bodybuilding so I'll give deadlifting another go and ease in this time.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I drink mostly water, 3-4 times from my 32oz hydroflask / day (will drink more than that if I exceed my daily caloric intake or eat unhealthy foods) along with 1 glass bottled coke / day; I avoid drinks that have processed sugars, opting for iced tea or sweetened drinks that have simple sugars.

Didn't mention fish since I'm not a fan of eating them. For fruits, forgot to mention bananas and apples daily, will snack on a mango too.

I also eat mushrooms, asparagus, and onions for veggies.

Gonna be difficult for me to give up on carbs but I'll cut further than what I eat currently and see how it goes; had a difficult time completing a 3 miler when I eat little to no carbs.

I used to deadlift but got tentative when I threw my back years ago doing so. Heard recently from two trainers that incline press, deadlifting, and squats are vital to bodybuilding so I'll give deadlifting another go and ease in this time.

Become a fan of fish. Giving up carbs isn't as hard as it seems and it doesn't mean you can never eat carbs ever.

Safety takes precedence over "vital" lifts and anyway you're not a bodybuilder - you're a guy who lifts a few times a week. I had a back injury 8 years ago - thankfully it was joint-related and not something a more sensitive like discs. You want to stay in your back's comfort zone. Consistent core work to strengthen that area needs to accompany deadlifts or whatever else.

Btw I've never heard anyone claim incline press is vital to bodybuilding. Point of incline is to target upper pecs more but flat bench is perfectly fine.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Is fish all that important or is it white meat in general? I have a mental aversion for fish growing up in a household where it stunk up the place and gave me a negative perception of it.

Well fish is good for you and it adds variety to your diet/cooking so you're not constantly just making chicken and shit.

Fresh fish doesn't stink and it's delicious paired with various vegetables. Give it another go.