• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Well fish is good for you and it adds variety to your diet/cooking so you're not constantly just making chicken and shit.

Fresh fish doesn't stink and it's delicious paired with various vegetables. Give it another go.

Reading more into the benefits of fish, I see that the vital nutrient is omega-3; will look into fish oil until I can get in the habit of eating omega-3 substitutions such as mushrooms and nuts. Last time I had fish was in a seafood only restaurant a few months ago where it was heavily seared with lemon to neutralize that abominable odor.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
I used to deadlift but got tentative when I threw my back years ago doing so. Heard recently from two trainers that incline press, deadlifting, and squats are vital to bodybuilding so I'll give deadlifting another go and ease in this time.
No lift is vital to bodybuilding. Unless you compete in powerlifting, "olympic" weightlifting, strongman or crossfit you don't have to do anything in particular or any sport for that matter. What makes these lifts so valuable is they use and stimulate alot of muscles at once. The problem with this is the technical curve and muscle coordination and strength to do the lifts properly. in the first place. What matters is training in a way that will stimulate the muscle fibers. You can achieve a nice body without ever doing regular deadlifts again, infact it might make it easier because the deadlift takes so much out of your recovery resources.

I FREAKING love deadlifts, its my favorite lift to do, but it is not essential unless your goals absolutely require it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'll have another quick ask here (asked a couple of weeks back). Anyone know of any online coaching services that are any good?

I need a very specific weights routine put together (no hip involvement, minimal core involvement) and I'm hoping I can find someone online with a good knowledge of biomechanics to put it together for me. It's not something I can trial and error as it's going to put my recovery at risk (broken hip) but I definitely need to be doing something or I'm going to start suffering mentally.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have another quick ask here (asked a couple of weeks back). Anyone know of any online coaching services that are any good?

I need a very specific weights routine put together (no hip involvement, minimal core involvement) and I'm hoping I can find someone online with a good knowledge of biomechanics to put it together for me. It's not something I can trial and error as it's going to put my recovery at risk (broken hip) but I definitely need to be doing something or I'm going to start suffering mentally.

I don't know any online coaches unfortunately.

Can you do accessory lifts until you've recovered? Like leg extensions and curls for example? Not ideal but certainly better for your mental health knowing that you're doing something.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Problem is, I can't really just try stuff to see if it works. By the time I feel it, I've realistically already done damage that I can't really risk.

That's why I'm trying to find someone with a really solid understanding of biomechanics.

When you give it some thought, even bog standard stuff like a simple seated shoulder press could become an issue if I've got my legs planted for stability. Same for bench press, I'd need to get my legs flat on the bench (maybe out on a chair or something) so that there would be zero involvement.

Limited to thousands of reps of preacher curl. :D

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
FitnessERA, any suggestions for healthy meals or workout adjustments?

I get alot of use out of my crockpot

Boneless/skinless chicken breast, vegetables of your choice, potato, throw them all in the crock pot with a little bit of olive oil and pour a bit of BBQ sauce on it for flavor. Super easy with minimal prep time and depending on the size of your crock pot you can make 5+ meals out of it

Another simple one is just to make your normal pasta and add spinach, mushroom, turkey meatballs to it.

Here's a rice recipe, i add boneless/skinless chickenbreast and mushrooms to this.

Here's another rice recipe, but i substitute some of the ingredients

Water to cook the rice instead of broth (saves alot of sodium and money)
Chicken for shrimp (shrimp is good for you but its more expensive)

Those are what i mostly eat for lunch/dinner, for breakfast i just eat whole grain toast/eggs, for snacks i eat apples, protein bars, oranges, and dark chocolate peanuts (dark chocolate has healthy fats, it's fine in limited quantity).

There's tons and tons of healthy recipes online.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Problem is, I can't really just try stuff to see if it works. By the time I feel it, I've realistically already done damage that I can't really risk.

That's why I'm trying to find someone with a really solid understanding of biomechanics.

When you give it some thought, even bog standard stuff like a simple seated shoulder press could become an issue if I've got my legs planted for stability. Same for bench press, I'd need to get my legs flat on the bench (maybe out on a chair or something) so that there would be zero involvement.

Limited to thousands of reps of preacher curl. :D

Skimble (Workout Trainer) has thousands of personal trainers and a specific category for those that have experience with injuries.

That being said, you honesty need an in-person trainer or physical therapist to monitor you.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a physio, but he's going to be concentrating on getting my hip better. I need someone else working on the rest of me.

In person trainer is going to be nigh on impossible as I can't get to a gym (I have my own setup).

Ninman

Oct 27, 2017
Hi fitness era!
Ive been working out with the starting strength programm for about 16 weeks now and after the last 2 weeks I think I hit a plateau.
I read the candito lower/upper split programm but I dont know what kind of "primary" or "optional exercise" should I include.
Can you help me? or should I stay with starting strength a little bit longer?

I'm 5'7, was 109 lbs now at 128lbs.
Started with 85 squat now at 145.
started with 95 deadlift now at 165.
65 bench now at 105.
Edit: Im 29 I want to weight 145 or so.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hi fitness era!
Ive been working out with the starting strength programm for about 16 weeks now and after the last 2 weeks I think I hit a plateau.
I read the candito lower/upper split programm but I dont know what kind of "primary" or "optional exercise" should I include.

65 bench now at 105.

Just stay the course; 2 weeks out of 18 total isn't even a bump in the road. If anything, double check that your diet, sleep habits, etc. are all in line.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hi fitness era!

65 bench now at 105.

Primary lifts- Barbell bench press, overhead press, upright rows, pull ups.

Squat, deadlift, and deadlift variations like deficit deadlift and paused deadlift. The optional/secondary lifts are much less important.

Oct 30, 2017
I won't cook chicken any other way, always comes out dry from the skillet or oven. It falls apart with a fork in the crock pot. I love it.

I tried many many recipes with the instant pot and did not like how things got cooked, or the cleanup involved. Chicken i bbq or deep fry (if its wings), meat i smoke or bbq, same for ribs, smoked all the way. Glad it works for you tho, its a great device, just wasnt a huge fan.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried many many recipes with the instant pot and did not like how things got cooked, or the cleanup involved. Chicken i bbq or deep fry (if its wings), meat i smoke or bbq, same for ribs, smoked all the way. Glad it works for you tho, its a great device, just wasnt a huge fan.

Oh if i had a smoker i'd use one lol I remember a guy from work would smoke stuff and bring it in and it would be amazing. One time he just threw some chex mix in and made it taste really good lol

Oct 30, 2017
Oh if i had a smoker i'd use one lol I remember a guy from work would smoke stuff and bring it in and it would be amazing. One time he just threw some chex mix in and made it taste really good lol

I'm super blessed, i have a propane bbq, charcoal bbq and a electric smoker, they're all awesome. Which is funny since i usually never use them and eat the same boring thing once a day anyway, but when i do want to cook stuff, they're awesome options, also great for parties and get togethers.

Oct 25, 2017
I use my instant pot to make chili--it's just a mix of ground turkey, beans, tomatoes, onion, and water. Relatively clean, and I get 4 large meals from it.

Ninman

Oct 27, 2017
Just stay the course; 2 weeks out of 18 total isn't even a bump in the road. If anything, double check that your diet, sleep habits, etc. are all in line.
Thanks, already did the 3 resets but I'll complete the 18 weeks
Primary lifts- Barbell bench press, overhead press, upright rows, pull ups.

Squat, deadlift, and deadlift variations like deficit deadlift and paused deadlift. The optional/secondary lifts are much less important.
Thanks!

Oct 30, 2017
I had to lift tonight at 1am due to an event we were at, so I did deadlift using the safety straps on the cage and freaking loved it. It's exactly a tiny bit higher then normal height for deadlift and doesn't make any noise, also barbell stays put on the strap, doesn't go rolling around. I've found my preferred method to deadlift going forward. Due to this, I can use my nice calibrated kg bumpers without worry on deadlift too, making it kg for all my lifts after this set of 351. Super excited. Got 352.25lbx5 on deadlift, felt pretty damn good.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Hello,

Looking into getting back into strength training. I'm mainly just a runner, but my arms and legs are getting a little too skinny.

Looking for advice on good high rep / low weight exercises. My cardiologist is very against my lifting anything heavy due to a heart condition I have, so it'd have to be low weights. Basically avoid anything that requires the Valsalva Maneuver is what he said.

Any ideas? I have some dumbbells at home (up to 20 lbs) and access to some other things. Would preferably like to avoid a gym but I understand I don't have a lot of equipment so it might be necessary. Any help would be great :D

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting back into lifting after about 3 years away.

I'm going back to my old routine of a 5 day split. Chest/Back/Shoulder/Leg/Arms/O/O.

My first week I did chest and got the worst DOMS that I skipped everything else. I went back at it yesterday with chest and it's fine today.

How quickly can expect my body to get back to form? Will I get noob gains again?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting back into lifting after about 3 years away.

I'm going back to my old routine of a 5 day split. Chest/Back/Shoulder/Leg/Arms/O/O.

My first week I did chest and got the worst DOMS that I skipped everything else. I went back at it yesterday with chest and it's fine today.

How quickly can expect my body to get back to form? Will I get noob gains again?
Muscle memory is a real thing. You'll get back to where you were a lot faster than it took to build it the first time. Everyone is different, but I'd say we are talking about a few months for each year you'd been lifting in the past.

For me, it takes a few weeks for those crippling doms to stop.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Muscle memory is a real thing. You'll get back to where you were a lot faster than it took to build it the first time. Everyone is different, but I'd say we are talking about a few months for each year you'd been lifting in the past.

For me, it takes a few weeks for those crippling doms to stop.
Awesome that's what I like to hear! Hoping to gain 10lbs pretty quick.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Is deadlift day as exhausting for everyone else as it is for me? It always feels fine right after (I work out first thing in the morning) but by around lunchtime I feel like I've just run a 10k.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never posted in here, but just got my 6pac back after all that good eating over winter so thought fuck it.

I'm 6'5
253lbs (18st)

Squat: 180kg to 200kg (396lbs to 440lbs)
Dead Lift: 200kg to 220kg (440lbs to 485lbs)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Decided I'm just going to bike recreationally (instead of training) until the fall so I did my first squats in over a year. Oh boy sore.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Been happy with my numbers lately. I'm 5'8, and bounce between 172-174lbs. Last week at the gym I managed a 255 front squat (x1) and 345 dead (x7). Also, with my garbo shoulder, bench has been going well. 200x5 last time, no pain in the shoulder where I tore my labrum a couple years ago and the lift felt good.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Me whenever i see people talking about RPE

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my gym is now open(sometimes) and my program is out of wack. I have a day of boxing, now I have rest days of just running, and I forgot my whole lifting routine. Well, at least the reps and the rest, at the very least. Also started a calisthenics routine so there's that.

Oct 25, 2017
Today's workout:
100 pull-ups
400m run
100 dips
400m run
25 pull-ups
25 dips
400m run

(And I weigh 240)

I don't feel so good.

Oct 25, 2017
How does that work? Is that circuit? What kind of rest do you do??
It's "for time," meaning you're supposed to get through everything asap. For example, I started with 13 Pull-ups, rested maybe 30 or 45 seconds, then did 8 Pull-ups, etc. On to 100. Then rinse on the treadmill. Then dips. Exercises done in the order I posted. It takes me longer than it's supposed to, I think, because on the program I use you're not really supposed to weigh this much and it can kill you on some stuff.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right. You aren't timing your rest intervals. I mean you could, but that isn't how it's written.
So you know you're improving once your time gets quicker? I asked if it was circuit because recently with boxing the coach would ask me to complete a set of stuff within 3 minutes as much as I can. I wonder if I can do that too for my current outdoor routine:

5x5 pull-ups
5x5 chin-ups
100 push-ups
5x10 burpees

Though honestly I think I can't do push-ups properly

Oct 25, 2017
So you know you're improving once your time gets quicker? I asked if it was circuit because recently with boxing the coach would ask me to complete a set of stuff within 3 minutes as much as I can. I wonder if I can do that too for my current outdoor routine:

5x5 pull-ups
5x5 chin-ups
100 push-ups
5x10 burpees

Though honestly I think I can't do push-ups properly
On the program I use, that's a common workout. Say, you do amrap (as many reps as possible) of burpees and Pull-ups for 3 minutes, then rest, then go again. Etc.