• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Have a dip bar and a pull up bar coming to the house. Also bought some pull up assistance bands. Lots of equipment for not wanting to use equipment but have to start somewhere.

Yesterday did something like
push-ups 20 x 4
squat jumps 15 x 4
lunges 20 x 4
Pike hold 1 minute x 4
planks 1 minute super-setted with 50 med ball twists x 3

Was my first time trying the pike hold. My goal is to eventually be able to handstand and even do hand stand push ups... will probably try pike push ups next.
When I get the equipment I have coming I will try adding in rows/assisted pull ups and maybe doing it every other day or having 2 different routines.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Crutches? what happened?!
Fairly significant crash on my mountain bike, just before I was supposed to be spending three weeks in Canada doing downhill. :(

Multiple fractures to my hip socket (requiring surgery), and then a blood clot for good measure.

Will be 3 months before I can walk again, and 9-12 months before I'm on a bike again (if ever).

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fairly significant crash on my mountain bike, just before I was supposed to be spending three weeks in Canada doing downhill. :(

Multiple fractures to my hip socket (requiring surgery), and then a blood clot for good measure.

Will be 3 months before I can walk again, and 9-12 months before I'm on a bike again (if ever).
Shit. Sorry to hear that Psycho. I hope your recovery goes well. In the meantime, what are your plans to keep yourself busy?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

Damn dude sorry to hear that. Wishing you the best in recovery.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers both.

Not a lot planned to be honest. Certainly not short term as I'm basically just stuck struggling trying to sleep (can't sleep on my back) and to keep moving as much as possible (to avoid another blood clot). Once I get a handle on the sleep I'm hoping to find a coach that can put together an upper body (isolated) routine for me so that I can at least get out to the gym.

Though that's probably going to require my wife training with me too, as I can't drive for three months. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers both.

Not a lot planned to be honest. Certainly not short term as I'm basically just stuck struggling trying to sleep (can't sleep on my back) and to keep moving as much as possible (to avoid another blood clot). Once I get a handle on the sleep I'm hoping to find a coach that can put together an upper body (isolated) routine for me so that I can at least get out to the gym.

Though that's probably going to require my wife training with me too, as I can't drive for three months. :(
Sorry to hear all that. Best of luck man.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017

Thats terrible, but it sounds like it could have been even worse. Hope you have a speedy recovery my man

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Cheers both.

Man that sucks. Hope your recovery goes well and you're kicking ass again sooner than later. Always enjoy reading your updates so keep us posted.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. Haven't posted in this thread in forever. Shit's been pretty bad. Back around September I somehow injured my left pinky finger. I legitimately don't know what the hell happened. I just woke up one day in extreme pain. It lasted for about two days, and was no longer hurting if it was stationary, but I pretty much could not do any kind of activity with it. I couldn't bend, straighen, grab, and arguably worst of all, type. I went to see roughly 8 different doctors and PTs, and almost all of them were useless. In fact, one of them literally did not provide me any help whatsoever, but still took a $200 consultation fee, the scumfuck.

I'm seeing a new PT right now, and he THINKS my problem is the result of RSI, due to bad typing posture, which honestly, probably makes some sense. We're going to try some modality shit, and maybe I'll finally be back to normal again. But it's really sucked not being able to go to the gym during most of this time. Fortunately, I started up again and am slowly trying to build up my strength back.

Any of you had to deal with some serious injury that kept you out of commission for a while? How'd you deal with it, and howw'd you not get depressed or go insane? This is legitimately the worst injury I've ever had.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Oh goddamit. i just saw Psychotext's post and now I feel like a douche.

Sorry to hear that dude. :( Hope you recover soon.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
lawl. Don't worry about it.

At the end of the day, we can only deal with what's put in front of us. :)

Edit - and no... no swimming for me. Almost guaranteed to drown!

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My lifting hasn't budged in such a long time. I ended up prioritizing training for races while lifting only short sessions a few times per week for maintenance sake (rather than stopping completely).

Day 1 is 3-4 sets of incline bench, pull ups, curls, and lateral raises. Day 2 is 5 sets of squats. Day 3 is dumbbell bench, dumbbell row, and again lateral raises and curls (I have small shoulders and biceps). Day 4 is squats again. Most weeks I only have 2-3 days total. It's been a tough balance in terms of getting enough cardio and sleep in my schedule. It's not ideal I'm sure.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Been training 7 days a week for last 3 weeks. Seeing decent progress. Have 1-2 "off" days where i focus on cardio and abs only. Now if only I can get my diet to be tighter.

Oct 30, 2017
Some weeks I get all 4 days in, some weeks I'm lucky to get 1 day in. It is what it is for now, next baby is due less than a month from now and life is different. Still super strong and feel good, but I need to get my fat level down after the next baby arrives. Pregnant wife is hard on the diet.

Luckily home gym is awesome and I love it to bits.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Been training 7 days a week for last 3 weeks. Seeing decent progress. Have 1-2 "off" days where i focus on cardio and abs only. Now if only I can get my diet to be tighter.
best way to train abs is every other day. or every other day for 3 days a week is what i do.
core might be the muscle group that recovers the fastest so it's important to train them frequently

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oddly I never found I needed to do specific ab exercises to get results. Mostly do compound movements though.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
best way to train abs is every other day. or every other day for 3 days a week is what i do.
core might be the muscle group that recovers the fastest so it's important to train them frequently

Yeah I throw in abs almost every day in between working sets. It's part of my "rest time". The 1-2 "off" days I focus on abs more extensively. Gotta get that 6 pack!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a 6 meals a day guy, but reading about fasting sounds kind of exciting. Instead of eating small meals i can eat big meals. I was planning on doing something like this

5 AM wake up
6-3 work
3:30-4:30 lift
Eat a big meal
(???)
9:30 go to sleep

I don't know what to do after i eat at 4:30, any advice would be nice. Also could use some advice on when to take my casein protein since i usually drinking it at 9 PM right before i go to sleep.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jumping from 6 meals per day to 1 is quite the adjustment. Might be easier on you to reduce the number of meals each day over a week or so. Of course if you just want to go for it have at it, but that 11.5-hour stretch after you wake up might not be pleasant the first few times.

I do like having bigger meals, but I only fast from 6pm to about 11am or so, eat a small meal for lunch (~600cal) to keep me going until dinner around 5 (~1200+cal). I'm shedding a little fat at the moment so those are both low, but you get the idea. Fasting until dinner is fine on occasion for me, but I would personally binge too much at my big meal and end up with too little protein compared to fat and carbs.

As for your 4:30 plans, why don't you spend time [insert next-favorite hobby here].

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I've always been a 6 meals a day guy, but reading about fasting sounds kind of exciting. Instead of eating small meals i can eat big meals. I was planning on doing something like this

5 AM wake up
6-3 work
3:30-4:30 lift
Eat a big meal
(???)
9:30 go to sleep

I don't know what to do after i eat at 4:30, any advice would be nice. Also could use some advice on when to take my casein protein since i usually drinking it at 9 PM right before i go to sleep.

Id start off easier! How about just limiting food intake to a 10-12 hr window?

Oct 30, 2017
314.25lbsx2 on squat today, pretty sure i have at least 2 more in the tank but it was pretty hot in the garage and wife/kids were on the way home so just wanted to finish. 1s week going well so far.

Id start off easier! How about just limiting food intake to a 10-12 hr window?

I do OMAD pretty much everyday, i started with 16:8, then 18:6, then 20:4, then 22:2, then OMAD, then long fasts. My record is 78 hours but i'll beat that easily at this point i think. Gradual makes it easier.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
314.25lbsx2 on squat today, pretty sure i have at least 2 more in the tank but it was pretty hot in the garage and wife/kids were on the way home so just wanted to finish. 1s week going well so far.

I do OMAD pretty much everyday, i started with 16:8, then 18:6, then 20:4, then 22:2, then OMAD, then long fasts. My record is 78 hours but i'll beat that easily at this point i think. Gradual makes it easier.

Wow that sounds nuts. 78 hrs! I wouldn't be able to hang. Lol

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The gym has been packed recently. I don't know if people suddenly realized they'd be going to the beach or what.

In other news it took like 1 week for my legs to get used to squats again, which is honestly crazy for me, but I won't complain. I'm enjoying doing them again.

I also switched from Yates rows to Pendlay rows because I was slightly tweaking my lower back every few weeks. They're more complicated but I'd rather reduce the chance of injury.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
For what it's worth, long fasts (multiple days) aren't a good idea if you're lifting.

You really want to be giving your body a decent insulin spike after a training session (that's before you get into what your body needs to rebuild your muscles). You wont be hurting yourself as such, but you will be stunting your progress.

Oct 30, 2017
For what it's worth, long fasts (multiple days) aren't a good idea if you're lifting.

You really want to be giving your body a decent insulin spike after a training session (that's before you get into what your body needs to rebuild your muscles). You wont be hurting yourself as such, but you will be stunting your progress.

I hit new records on some of my lifts during my long fasts. I know the science says otherwise, just personal anecdotal instance. I had no troubles as I never cared I wasn't eating. Perhaps if you're just thinking about food the entire time it might be different.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What you lift when you're actually fasting isn't where the effects take place. It's not going to hold you back during (unless you're at high heart rates / requiring a ton of muscle glycogen)... but you wont be as strong down the road as you otherwise could have been. By the same token, lifting today isn't really making you stronger tomorrow... but weeks from now.

It's an impact to your ability to rebuild / recover where continued fasting would be holding you back. This is why most programs involving fasting have you lift fasted and then take advantage of the insulin response by eating immediately afterwards.

I get that you like longer fasting periods for whatever reason, but it's most definitely not optimal for recovery as whilst your body may have what it needs for fuel, it wont have what it needs to repair.

Oct 30, 2017
What you lift when you're actually fasting isn't where the effects take place. It's not going to hold you back during (unless you're at high heart rates / requiring a ton of muscle glycogen)... but you wont be as strong down the road as you otherwise could have been. By the same token, lifting today isn't really making you stronger tomorrow... but weeks from now.

It's an impact to your ability to rebuild / recover where continued fasting would be holding you back. This is why most programs involving fasting have you lift fasted and then take advantage of the insulin response by eating immediately afterwards.

I get that you like longer fasting periods for whatever reason, but it's most definitely not optimal for recovery as whilst your body may have what it needs for fuel, it wont have what it needs to repair.

Makes total sense, my experience lifting on long fasts has been great, that's all I wanted to mention.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Signed up for a VO2 Max test for Monday. I've only done it once before. Quite an experience to run on a continuosly-inclining treadmill until you can't.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol did they notice??

The guy was doing cable work of some sort and I made some effort to kind of get his attention, but he didn't see/hear and at that point I figured it was better he didn't know.

We had the exact same bottle model, which is why I didn't realize at first.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That thread felt different to me. I feel like things have really taken a turn for the worse... I try to be empathetic and respect others, but it feels like the crowd that interprets any kind of opinion that people *should* work to better themselves as some kind of personal attack, and believes that we all need to carefully tiptoe around every issue to avoid offending some extreme minority group or very specific individuals, have completely become the majority on the site.

I fear we're rapidly approaching a point where any kind of positive health advice or discussion about how people can get fit and healthy will be interpreted as fat shaming or "toxic masculinity" or something.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...interprets any kind of opinion that people *should* work to better themselves as some kind of personal attack...

To each their own. Everyone has their own life perspective based on their personality and experiences. I don't push my hobbies, interests, or lifestyle on anyone.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
That thread felt different to me. I feel like things have really taken a turn for the worse... I try to be empathetic and respect others, but it feels like the crowd that interprets any kind of opinion that people *should* work to better themselves as some kind of personal attack, and believes that we all need to carefully tiptoe around every issue to avoid offending some extreme minority group or very specific individuals, have completely become the majority on the site.

I fear we're rapidly approaching a point where any kind of positive health advice or discussion about how people can get fit and healthy will be interpreted as fat shaming or "toxic masculinity" or something.

Its a disaster really.

Oct 25, 2017
That thread makes me think of something I've noticed at work. The people I work with who talk about the need for empathy are a) consistently the most dishonest and b) the ones who are against any sort of progress and accomplishment.

What makes it sad is that I'm a teacher.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its a disaster really.

Yeah I got attacked in that thread. I'm never participating in those kinds of threads again

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally put that TV thread on ignore. I hit about 5 different times where I had to do the "I explicitly said not-X" response to people saying I'd said X.

Edit: Front page of T-Nation today, "how to get dry for a photo shoot." Ha!

Happened to me a couple of times earlier in the thread... There are a couple of posters in there that seem far more interested in trying to find a "gotcha" moment to start a shaming dogpile than having any kind of discussion in good faith.