• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me a couple of times earlier in the thread... There are a couple of posters in there that seem far more interested in trying to find a "gotcha" moment to start a shaming dogpile than having any kind of discussion in good faith.

yeah just best to stay out of any fitness related threads and just watch the car wreck from far away

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
395lb on deadlift for 1, got it decently, i effing hate deadlift man. With that, 1s week is done and another 3/5/1 session complete. Next one will be all kg so excited for that.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
395lb on deadlift for 1, got it decently, i effing hate deadlift man. With that, 1s week is done and another 3/5/1 session complete. Next one will be all kg so excited for that.
Fuck deadlifts lol. I don't think I single other lift even comes close to how bad they are. I was like squats but even squats don't come close.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Fit era. I have a question about weight lifting. Is it common for young people (undergraduate students) to hog a work-out device for their entire stay at the weight room? I was taught to do a rotation of equipment. This morning, I put the squat rack into my rotation, but then some girls came in a took it. They never left for a whole hour. They just stood at the rack staring at their phones when resting between reps.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Fit era. I have a question about weight lifting. Is it common for young people (undergraduate students) to hog a work-out device for their entire stay at the weight room? I was taught to do a rotation of equipment. This morning, I put the squat rack into my rotation, but then some girls came in a took it. They never left for a whole hour. They just stood at the rack staring at their phones when resting between reps.
Is there only one squat rack or something? If they were all using the same one I'd say that's fair especially if there are multiple in the gym.
I look at my phone between sets mostly to calm my heart rate before my next set (which I have a stopwatch timing on my phone, too).

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Is there only one squat rack or something? If they were all using the same one I'd say that's fair especially if there are multiple in the gym.
I look at my phone between sets mostly to calm my heart rate before my next set (which I have a stopwatch timing on my phone, too).
They were not using the same one. They were each using a rack (three). They werent even putting any weights on the bar either. So, it should have been simple to share the rack. The fourth was being used by some football player.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you calrified they were girls. Yes they'll do this. A fair amount of girls only do a variety of squats and cardio. Chasing that IG booty.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
They were not using the same one. They were each using a rack (three). They werent even putting any weights on the bar either. So, it should have been simple to share the rack. The fourth was being used by some football player.
I've kept an eye on a station I knew I was going to use sometime during my workout the entire time someone was on it, counting the sets they were doing.
If I notice they've done more than enough sets and I was done with the rest of my workout, I'll approach them and ask "how many sets do you have left" to make them realize they've been there too long. If they give you a time or amount of sets that seems unreasonable, I ask if I can work in. Most are pretty open to you doing so tbh

Btw, I workout at a university gym, so I'm in the same sitch

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Squat is the one lift where i will stay and rest between sets, but we're talking about 20 minutes, not a full hour. They're being extremely selfish and rude by hogging a limited squat rack for that long.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been stuck over 200lbs so long I finally relented and started tracking calories again. Already paying dividends.

841f0167-1072-4d31-94pj8s.jpeg

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
An obesity thread in the OT....i can't help myself, i have to read it, i know it's going to piss me off...but i have to.

I made it about 4 posts before i wanted to scream.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Hey all! Do any of you know anything about these body composition bathroom scales that send a small electrical pulse through your body to measure fat/water/muscle percentage? I bought a Taylor version to replace my roommate's broken old-ass scale - figured if I needed to get a new one I might as well get some bells & whistles - but I have been skeptical this whole time of how accurate some of the readings are gonna be. I have always been very skinny ( I weighed in at 113.9lbs last night) but am very aware of the "skinny fat"/visceral muscle stuff and really want to make sure I go into my 30s with stronger habits than my 20s.

Also, are there any resources to help me learn how to effectively use those measurements to track my body's health? Or is it really just knowing that percentage range you need to fall into?

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all! Do any of you know anything about these body composition bathroom scales that send a small electrical pulse through your body to measure fat/water/muscle weight? I bought a Taylor version to replace my roommate's broken old-ass scale - figured if I needed to get a new one I might as well get some bells & whistles - but I have been skeptical this whole time of how accurate some of the readings are gonna be. I have always been very skinny ( I weighed in at 113.9lbs last night) but am very aware of "skinny fat"/visceral muscle thing and really want to make sure I go into my 30s with stronger habits than my 20s.

Also, are there any resources to help me learn how to effectively use those measurements to track my body's health? Or is it really just knowing that percentage range you need to fall into?
They are alrIght for snap looks but not too accurate. You are better off to go see a PT and get them to use the callipers on you.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all! Do any of you know anything about these body composition bathroom scales that send a small electrical pulse through your body to measure fat/water/muscle percentage? I bought a Taylor version to replace my roommate's broken old-ass scale - figured if I needed to get a new one I might as well get some bells & whistles - but I have been skeptical this whole time of how accurate some of the readings are gonna be. I have always been very skinny ( I weighed in at 113.9lbs last night) but am very aware of the "skinny fat"/visceral muscle stuff and really want to make sure I go into my 30s with stronger habits than my 20s.

It's very hard to get a accurate measure of someone's body fat. You can try multiple methods and kind of average them together to give you an idea, but i recommend taking progress pics and comparing them.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
They are alrIght for snap looks but not too accurate. You are better off to go see a PT and get them to use the callipers on you.
I read that some of these devices can be up to 8% off so I'm mostly gonna use what mine spits out for very general stuff like noticeable changes after my first weigh-ins. I plan at some point to get more reliable measurements, and maybe even bounce them off the scale's numbers to keep track of its accuracy. Already started an Excel spreadsheet to document and set up formulas for all of this lol

It's very hard to get a accurate measure of someone's body fat. You can try multiple methods and kind of average them together to give you an idea, but i recommend taking progress pics and comparing them.
I've been doing progress pics but not really taking them seriously, I will change that.

Thanks to both of ya!

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Been ahwile since I've been in the gym, was ill all of last week. Only managed to bang out 2 pull-ups per set 9tough being a fatty), didn't manage to complete 3 x 5 sets of 57.5kg on OHP either. Oh well, next time, roll on Tuesday.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I always see dudes doing a lot of weird little warmup moves like wiggling a 2.5 weight in their hand in front of them. I've never seen any well known strength coach do these moves. Where are these coming from?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Turns out my fears were the opposite of reality and I actually have a really low BMI and need to take in more calories, which honestly is harder than maintaining a workout schedule for me lmao

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Need some advice pretty bad....

So I legit haven't exercised or worked out for a couple of years now, but I want to start making it a routine again.

The goal is to burn fat and build muscles.

Hitting the gym is out of the question due to my personal financial situation.

So I am focusing on starting off with workouts that I can do at home without equipments.

I started doing a session of HIIT last week and it fucked up my arms, straining my muscles/tendon. Big mistake on my part.

So I assume starting off with intense cardio is not the best approach to build my body back up...

Should I start off with some basic ass basic cardio instead? And some simple bodyweight workouts?

What is the best and most effective workouts I could do right now that can build my body back up from scratch and still be able hit the goals I mentioned?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

So I legit haven't exercised or worked out for a couple of years now, but I want to start making it a routine again.

So I am focusing on starting off with workouts that I can do at home without equipments.

I started doing a session of HIIT last week and it fucked up my arms, straining my muscles/tendon. Big mistake on my part.

So I assume starting off with intense cardio is not the best approach to build my body back up...

Should I start off with some basic ass basic cardio instead? And some simple bodyweight workouts?

What is the best and most effective workouts I could do right now that can build my body back up from scratch and still be able hit the goals I mentioned?

Push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges. Theres tons of body weight workouts out there.

You dont have to do cardio if you dont want to, track your calories and try to aim for maintenance calories.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Stretch. Start slowly for running. HIIT will kill you if your lungs aren't ready.

For body weight stuff just your classics. Dips, crunches, variety of pushups. You could stop at a playground from pull ups if you don't want to get a bar.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017

I'd say push ups, crunches, squats, lunges, dips, superman, etc.
Can't really do pull ups without a proper bar and that requires equipment. I highly suggest getting one though

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, because creatine helps with water retention in the muscle. Without it, it just lets the water go.

That fast, though? From what I've read before trying it, it takes about as much time to lose as it did to gain. But it took me like 3 weeks to gain that amount of weight but i lost it in a week. Confused.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So it's only been 4 days since i ditched eating every 3 hours in favor of a 16/8 fasting window, and i'm really surprised at how well it's going. I'm actually having to force myself to eat just to get to maintenance calories. The problem with eating every 3 hours was that my meals were very small and non-satisfying, with these 2 big meals i feel very satisfied after eating, and i'm not constantly checking the clock to see when i can get some more food in my system.

No difference at all in energy levels, my 3 mile run time was pretty much the same despite no food in the morning.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL I'm watching Stranger Things and wondering why this guy looks so familiar and it's grapefruit connoisseur Kai Greene.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Omg. I finally think I fixed my left shoulder cracking when I lift my arm up. Fingers crossed. Doing ohp

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Newbie question. Do I still need to take BCAA if my whey has already contained one?
You don't NEED to take anything. Does it help to take your BCAAs separately from your whey? My answer would be yes.
Most BCAA supplements contain more aminos and vitamins that whey protein + BCAA combos lack.

Also, I take BCAAs twice during my workout days. Once around 30 minutes before my workout. This BCAA supplement also contains caffeine which doesn't get me overly wired but gives me just enough juice to feel great during my workout.
I take my second BCAA serving sometime before bed for recovery. This supplement does NOT contain caffeine for obvious reasons.

I have noticed substantial improvement in my workouts and recovery by taking BCAAs separately when compared to formerly only taking whey protein

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Talking about BCAAs, did anybody ever drink the BCAA Rockstar? That was the best drink. So mad it was discontinued.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
At the risk of sounding like an idiot (I already know I am but call me one anyways), I have a bit of unfamiliar dull pain around the back of my neck, and very numb thighs, especially when they sit still for a while. I got this after I messed up a clean and jerk. Should I assume the worst? It's a minor pain but pretty distracting.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
You don't NEED to take anything. Does it help to take your BCAAs separately from your whey? My answer would be yes.
Most BCAA supplements contain more aminos and vitamins that whey protein + BCAA combos lack.

Also, I take BCAAs twice during my workout days. Once around 30 minutes before my workout. This BCAA supplement also contains caffeine which doesn't get me overly wired but gives me just enough juice to feel great during my workout.
I take my second BCAA serving sometime before bed for recovery. This supplement does NOT contain caffeine for obvious reasons.

I have noticed substantial improvement in my workouts and recovery by taking BCAAs separately when compared to formerly only taking whey protein

Should I use whey tho?
Right now I'm focusing on my body fat, and after I reach my body fat goal I want to gain mass.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Should I use whey tho?
Right now I'm focusing on my body fat, and after I reach my body fat goal I want to gain mass.
if your focus is to slim down then you don't need to take whey, and you can just get your protein consumption from your food.
if you start weight training, then you should think about taking whey along with a nutritional diet of course