• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Should I use whey tho?
Right now I'm focusing on my body fat, and after I reach my body fat goal I want to gain mass.

If you're just trying to lower your body fat % then you should be focused on your nutrition and going on a caloric deficit. Whey can be helpful because it will help you reach your daily protein goals without going over your calorie limit.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
if your focus is to slim down then you don't need to take whey, and you can just get your protein consumption from your food.
if you start weight training, then you should think about taking whey along with a nutritional diet of course
If you're just trying to lower your body fat % then you should be focused on your nutrition and going on a caloric deficit. Whey can be helpful because it will help you reach your daily protein goals without going over your calorie limit.

I'm not exactly want to slim down nor have abs. Just wanna lose this belly fat and love handle, but stay beefy and gain muscle.

What I'm doing right now is strength training, cuz my core is bad and end my day with incline walking for 20 minutes.

What should I fix or do?

Edit: I had 0 workout prior to this

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly want to slim down nor have abs. Just wanna lose this belly fat and love handle, but stay beefy and gain muscle.

What I'm doing right now is strength training, cuz my core is bad and end my day with incline walking for 20 minutes.

What should I fix or do?

Edit: I had 0 workout prior to this
I mean unless you do the stuff you can't really do both. And you can't Target body fat.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately You cant target body fat, to get rid of the fat on your belly and sides you'll have to go on a caloric deficit and lower your overall body fat%.
I mean unless you do the stuff you can't really do both. And you can't Target body fat.

Stuff? Do what stuff?

I'm on caloric deficit actually.

I meant right now I'm focusing reducing my overall body fat percentage. Not targeting to lose my belly fat with a particular exercise.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Peds
I mean you can't really build muscle on a cal deficit. Just eat all lot of protein to keep muscle mass but even then you might lose some

I get it. But my question is, should I lower my overall body fat first, and then start training to gain muscle. Or both of those are doable in the same time?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I get it. But my question is, should I lower my overall body fat first, and then start training to gain muscle. Or both of those are doable in the same time?
Gain muscle first unless you are pretty obese.

You'll see gains and appear thinner because muscle growth will diffuse the fat a bit. Your diet has to be on point though. Can't be having an excess of 500 or more cals.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Gain muscle first unless you are pretty obese.

You'll see gains and appear thinner because muscle growth will diffuse the fat a bit. Your diet has to be on point though. Can't be having an excess of 500 or more cals.

Not obese, in metric I'm 174 cm/84.5 kg. But my belly and love handle quite thick :|

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Been pretty good on my nutrition over last 3 weeks, some more abs are starting to show! Goal is by mid Aug for the V cut to come through. It's gonna be fukkin tough but feeling motivated.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been active in this thread for 6 months or so, so a quick update.
Been around 74-78kg all year, and can't seem to move the needle too much. Whenever I seem to eat a bit more, I somehow manage to expend more energy.
My daily bike trip has increased from 14km to 26km per day, and I upped the training from 3 times a week to 5. Urgh.

Not obese, in metric I'm 174 cm/84.5 kg. But my belly and love handle quite thick :|

Don't know how long you've been at this, but if you manage to get to the gym with consistency, then I wouldn't worry that much about it - just keep going at it since your stats aren't that bad. People are usually divided in two camps with this, some people like to min-max everything, and I do too - but for anyone relatively new to this, I would just focus on showing up, and practicing good form - if you're still psyched for it 3 months in, yea sure - lets see what diet can do for you.

Just my 2 euros.

Been pretty good on my nutrition over last 3 weeks, some more abs are starting to show! Goal is by mid Aug for the V cut to come through. It's gonna be fukkin tough but feeling motivated.

Going for that late summer cut look? I totally skipped out on it this year since I'm having a forever bulk. Next summer though!

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been on a 3 month plateau on all the major barbell lifts I do, (deadlift, row, Ohp, bench). I don't know what to do, it's killing my motivation to go, the fact I've only ever worked out by myself makes this desire worse. I've even considered putting on 10-15 lbs just to see the numbers or reps go up.
Been on a 4 day upper/lower split all year. Any recommended program to get over strength plateaus?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a 3 month plateau on all the major barbell lifts I do, (deadlift, row, Ohp, bench). I don't know what to do, it's killing my motivation to go, the fact I've only ever worked out by myself makes this desire worse. I've even considered putting on 10-15 lbs just to see the numbers or reps go up.
Been on a 4 day upper/lower split all year. Any recommended program to get over strength plateaus?

Have you tried deloading yet? Heck even just splitting things up for a few weeks. Go for 12 reps instead if usually going low, go for 6 reps if usually going high.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Granted I can't do that rep, but does it? There must be some sort of regulation that requires some sort of ROM.

Edit: also I feel really bad for that "call 911" guy in the next clip.
There's some technical stuff like keep on your feet and butt down. It's all about lifting g the most weight. Just like how. Sumo deadlift shorten the ROM and people think it's cheaper way

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how can I get my chest to pop out? I feel like everyone else at the gym has them but not me. I'm definitely missing something.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So how can I get my chest to pop out? I feel like everyone else at the gym has them but not me. I'm definitely missing something.

Years of following of a bodybuilder program while eating a good diet, getting plenty of sleep, and not going out partying all the time should result in a respectable chest.

But keep in mind that a natural lifter is not going to have anything even remotely comparable to what you see from professional body builders who's chests look like they've been inflated by an air compressor.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Years of following of a bodybuilder program while eating a good diet, getting plenty of sleep, and not going out partying all the time should result in a respectable chest.

But keep in mind that a natural lifter is not going to have anything even remotely comparable to what you see from professional body builders who's chests look like they've been inflated by an air compressor.
Well, I don't really mean that huge chest right off the bat, I just want them to pop a little bit because even the young ones I see on my gym have them. Then again, I think they're on whey or Ovaltine or something and I just settle for PBJs and chicken and fish. Also, my routine isn't chesty at all, just recently added push-ups. Don't get me wrong though, my chest is now hard but the definition ain't there yet.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
The term 'respectable chest' is reallllly funny to me lol

The reality of it all is with time, your chest will pop out.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some people's chest pop out more than others. It's partly genetics.
I don't mean to gloat, but i have always been proud of my chest and im skinny compared to most i see at the gym. at 5'9" and 163lbs, i've always had no trouble getting my chest to look wide and full whenever i get back into working out again.

Just always keep adding weight to your max every chest day, Oliver James, and hit EVERY part of your chest: upper, mid, lower, inner and outer.
I never used to focus on every part of my chest and that was my demise. Ever since i started targeting every part of my chest during chest day, my chest looks and feels great.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some people's chest pop out more than others. It's partly genetics.
I don't mean to gloat, but i have always been proud of my chest and im skinny compared to most i see at the gym. at 5'9" and 163lbs, i've always had no trouble getting my chest to look wide and full whenever i get back into working out again.

Just always keep adding weight to your max every chest day, Oliver James, and hit EVERY part of your chest: upper, mid, lower, inner and outer.
I never used to focus on every part of my chest and that was my demise. Ever since i started targeting every part of my chest during chest day, my chest looks and feels great.
Well, I think that's probably my major problem, I don't know what to do to target my chest on all parts. Everyone else seems to be on chest day everyday where I'm at and everyone else has chicken legs but me, but I want to round out the complete package.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I think that's probably my major problem, I don't know what to do to target my chest on all parts. Everyone else seems to be on chest day everyday where I'm at and everyone else has chicken legs but me, but I want to round out the complete package.

Here are some exercises to get you started. These are the ones I do at least.
Keep in mind, some of these exercises workout multiple parts of your chest.
I usually pick 4 exercises to do total, but that's just me. that means i pick 2 from one part and 1 from the others each. and that choice lies where i feel my chest is lacking. right now, my inner chest needs some attention, so squeeze press has been a must on the last couple chest days.
if you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Upper
  • Low Cable Crossovers
  • Incline Dumbbell Press Reverse Grip
  • Incline Dumbbell Flies
  • Incline Dumbbell Chest Press
  • Incline Barbell Chest Press
  • Neck Press
  • Incline Squeeze Press

Mid
  • Dumbbell Chest Press
  • Dumbbell Flies
  • Barbell Bench Press (Medium Grip)
  • Barbell Chest Press (wide grip)
  • Machine Chest Press
  • Cable Chest Press
  • Squeeze Chest Press

Lower
  • Wide-Grip Decline Barbell Bench Press
  • Decline Barbell Press
  • Cable Iron Cross
  • Cable Crossovers
  • Dips
  • Decline Dumbbell Flies

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of that, in a single day? Oh wait, re-read and you said you pick exercises. Thanks a lot, immense help, I should probably designate a chest day to focus on. Cheers :)

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My local gym has a DJ now - I'm not sure how to feel about this.

We train in a group of 7 guys, all of us being relatively new to this. I've been at it on/off for two years now - and my chest just looks way better than most of the of the other guys, some of it muscle, most of it genetics and posture.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been active in this thread for 6 months or so, so a quick update.
Been around 74-78kg all year, and can't seem to move the needle too much. Whenever I seem to eat a bit more, I somehow manage to expend more energy.
My daily bike trip has increased from 14km to 26km per day, and I upped the training from 3 times a week to 5. Urgh.

Don't know how long you've been at this, but if you manage to get to the gym with consistency, then I wouldn't worry that much about it - just keep going at it since your stats aren't that bad. People are usually divided in two camps with this, some people like to min-max everything, and I do too - but for anyone relatively new to this, I would just focus on showing up, and practicing good form - if you're still psyched for it 3 months in, yea sure - lets see what diet can do for you.

Just my 2 euros.

Going for that late summer cut look? I totally skipped out on it this year since I'm having a forever bulk. Next summer though!
Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Yeah hopefully I could keep working out, cuz it really helps my mental health.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Do you guys eat fruit when you cut / shred? I am still eating a banana each day for bfast (10 am) should I avoid fruit?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the inputs. I am still hitting my calorie count and macros for the most part so will stick to banana for now. When super cutting starts ill avoid fruit due to sugars.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made cookies for the whole office (32 delicious chocolate chip cookies) but what they don't know is that I've added a scoop of whey. My genius plan to make the whole office swole has begun.

Do you guys eat fruit when you cut / shred? I am still eating a banana each day for bfast (10 am) should I avoid fruit?

They're quite calorie dense, so if you feel like you don't get a full enough feeling during your cut I'd probably skip it, but if you have no such issues - who not just eat what you enjoy, while still hitting your macros.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Made cookies for the whole office (32 delicious chocolate chip cookies) but what they don't know is that I've added a scoop of whey. My genius plan to make the whole office swole has begun.

(Whole office fails next drug test)

Had one of those really good workouts today where I wasn't going for any prs or anything, but form was really good and every muscle felt like it was getting work. It's a really good kind of tired.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Popping in to ask a question. I've had trouble with my shoulder/inside elbow for years when lifting. On almost any curl-esque movement my elbow(?) locks up after a set or two and I lose a ton of range of motion on my left side. Also get a tightness inside the elbow. Any suggestions on how to alleviate this or things to look into? I have been in PT twice in the past few years and haven't really gotten anywhere. Not sure what to try at this point.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in to ask a question. I've had trouble with my shoulder/inside elbow for years when lifting. On almost any curl-esque movement my elbow(?) locks up after a set or two and I lose a ton of range of motion on my left side. Also get a tightness inside the elbow. Any suggestions on how to alleviate this or things to look into? I have been in PT twice in the past few years and haven't really gotten anywhere. Not sure what to try at this point.

I would type in "Athlean X elbow pain" into google and watch the video's jeff has on this. He trains professional athletes and is also a physical therapist so if there's anyone who knows what to do it would be him.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Decided to check out the Male body image thread again. I see they're ripping on a aSniperJones even after he showed them proof that a healthy lifestyle and body is attainable without drugs and being at the gym 24/7. What a thread.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(Whole office fails next drug test)

Had one of those really good workouts today where I wasn't going for any prs or anything, but form was really good and every muscle felt like it was getting work. It's a really good kind of tired.

Drug test?

Laughs in Scandinavian

Decided to check out the Male body image thread again. I see they're ripping on a aSniperJones even after he showed them proof that a healthy lifestyle and body is attainable without drugs and being at the gym 24/7. What a thread.

I had to nope out of that thread real fast.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Finally hit 125kg with my deadlift! That's roughly double my bodyweight. Might not be much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm super proud of it, pfft.

I felt so angry after seeing that post that I had to compliment his great physique to help balance it out, pfft.