• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm not too unfamiliar with the gym but I had to cut it for a while and I need some help.

• Height: 5'10
  • Weight: 150 pounds
  • Goal: Kinda silly but my main goal now is killing my gut
  • Current Training Schedule: before I used to go four days a week and spread between body parts.
  • Current Training Equipment Available: none
  • Comments:

Wait wat?
Well, there's a first for everything. Never heard of towel regulations, nonetheless "small" towel regulations

Our gym says bring a towel, but it's not enforced.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm not too unfamiliar with the gym but I had to cut it for a while and I need some help.

• Current Training Schedule: before I used to go four days a week and spread between body parts.
  • Comments:

To kill a gut you must change your diet, calorie deficit around 500 calories you good brother

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

• Comments:

I'm always amazed at body differences. I'm maybe a half inch taller than you but if I was 150 I would probably be in the hospital. I went down to 165 when I had thyroiditis and people thought I looked like death warmed over.

Anyway, if you want to reduce fat, measure your calorie intake and reduce it. Use one of the online TDEE calculators. Working out is a great addition, but won't cause weight loss.

I'm currently at 195 down from 215 and hoping to get to 180. I use MyFitnessPal which is a great all-in-one tool for managing and prescribing your food intake.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
To kill a gut you must change your diet, calorie deficit around 500 calories you good brother

Guess it's time to really look closer into what I eat.

I'm always amazed at body differences. I'm maybe a half inch taller than you but if I was 150 I would probably be in the hospital. I went down to 165 when I had thyroiditis and people thought I looked like death warmed over.

Anyway, if you want to reduce fat, measure your calorie intake and reduce it. Use one of the online TDEE calculators. Working out is a great addition, but won't cause weight loss.

I'm currently at 195 down from 215 and hoping to get to 180. I use MyFitnessPal which is a great all-in-one tool for managing and prescribing your food intake.

My major dilemma is that I want to buff my body but I have this thing. Guess I'll just do cardio instead of lifting for now?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's time to really look closer into what I eat.

My major dilemma is that I want to buff my body but I have this thing. Guess I'll just do cardio instead of lifting for now?

No, do both. You just won't grow as much muscle. But if you are new you will get newbie gains and you'll be surprised by how much you can gain even while not eating a lot at that stage.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
No, do both. You just won't grow as much muscle. But if you are new you will get newbie gains and you'll be surprised by how much you can gain even while not eating a lot at that stage.

I'm past the newbie gains phase. Used to be around 125 before I started weight lifting for a while which seemed to have triggered my weight gain and opened my appetite more. Problem now is dealing with the aftermath of dropping it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm past the newbie gains phase. Used to be around 125 before I started weight lifting for a while which seemed to have triggered my weight gain and opened my appetite more. Problem now is dealing with the aftermath of dropping it.

Well, in any event do both, working out is good for you.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I got my newbie gains a few years ago, wasn't very good about maintaining my diet and program, and put a bunch of fat on. Now I'm halfway to getting my weight where I want it, and I'll just have to wait to put on any real amount of muscle until then.

You could of course just focus on weight loss, but I like to go to the gym, and also it's worth keeping what muscle you've got in the meantime.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
These "healthy dessert" recipes are so hit or miss. I've found 1 good one, 1 great one, and about 6 flavorless failures.

Peanut Butter seems to be the key to success, i fucking love Peanut Butter.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone ever had problems lifting heavy on shoulder day the day after lifting heavy on chest day?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Okay back pic progress.... need to get more defined for sure. Goal isn't to get big but defined and maintain:

67157885_10157154906348758_1815538721047445504_n.jpg

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever had problems lifting heavy on shoulder day the day after lifting heavy on chest day?

Whenever i was focusing in on certain muscle groups i wouldn't put pressing movements back to back like that.

For instance, if i did chest on monday, i'd do lats on tuesday. That way my biceps get worked and my triceps can recover.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Don't do that. Your triceps are the secondary muscle group for a push movements. It's best to space them out or to have one big push day.
Whenever i was focusing in on certain muscle groups i wouldn't put pressing movements back to back like that.

For instance, if i did chest on monday, i'd do lats on tuesday. That way my biceps get worked and my triceps can recover.
Yeah, I was close to doing shoulders today because I wanted to get it done but I felt like it would be a bad decision. Thanks for the reply

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Shoulder feeling a lot better, need to meter my eagerness to get back to normal training and have a set back.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Fit era. I have a question about supplements. Are creatine monoydrate, BCAA, and L-Glutamone only for when you are about to do a workout routine? Or, is mixing some in with a shake during lunch also beneficial? Personally, I like to eat a big bowl of beans and rice before my workout. But, I drink a shake during lunch at work. So, I was thinking of putting those supplements in with my lunchtime shake.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Started practicing muscle-ups three times a week. My god getting started is hard. A massive resistance band and still just barely making it through 3 repetitions.

Haha, you have the exact same stats as me. Five years ago I was 182cm (5'11) and 58kg (127lbs)
First bulk brought me 10kg up to 68, settled there for a year because I felt big enough. Currently at 78kg and aiming for 85-90kg in a year or two.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
My body fat is 1% down, I improve my plank from 30 seconds to 1 minute, and now I can do 3 x 10 sit up, prior to this I only could do 1 x 8.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So I watch a lot of lifting videos on YouTube. It's all stuff like "3 tips to improve your bench" or "why you should be deadlifting" or "why your diet is sabotaging your gains" or "do these 3 exercises for a massive chest" or whatever.

Every once in a while a women's fitness video will slip in there and it's always like "how to increase your side booty". It's a totally different world out there.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So I watch a lot of lifting videos on YouTube. It's all stuff like "3 tips to improve your bench" or "why you should be deadlifting" or "why your diet is sabotaging your gains" or "do these 3 exercises for a massive chest" or whatever.

Every once in a while a women's fitness video will slip in there and it's always like "how to increase your side booty". It's a totally different world out there.
from athlean to ass lean

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I assumed side booty was someone you met on the side. TIL.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Starting in January barely 10 repping 95lbs barbell chest press, today I officially join the 225 Club.

So happyyyy

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are some decent women's fitness channels but yeah most are just all about the ass and abs.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Starting in January barely 10 repping 95lbs barbell chest press, today I officially join the 225 Club.

So happyyyy

Awesome progress. My upper body strength is super bad. After I reach my goal weight I'm going to switch to 5/3/1 and I'll be able to eat more. Then I can try and work towards finally doing a body weight bench press 😭

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
That is some great progress mate. I'm hovering around 85kg (187lbs) during the past three months. Haven't had much focus on flat barbell press though.
I try and do flat barbell at least every other chest day. I enjoy it a lot but I also like doing other exercises in its place!
Awesome progress. My upper body strength is super bad. After I reach my goal weight I'm going to switch to 5/3/1 and I'll be able to eat more. Then I can try and work towards finally doing a body weight bench press 😭
Are you trying to lose weight right now then?
Damn that's impressive
Thank you so much. I had The dumbest smile on my face afterwords

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017

Meg Squats was pretty good about having real training videos. I don't know if that has changed lately.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to lose weight right now then?

Yeah, but in 5 or 6 years of on and off lifting I've never managed more than 165x5 on bench at body weights ranging from around 185-205.

So I'm going to get my weight down as low as I can now so I have some room to eat a bit and not get fat, and then I'll do 5/3/1 to really try and break through. I've been on and off linear progression plans for too long now for them to really make progress but am just doing greyskull in the meantime to figure out my rep maxes and because I like the program.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Meg Squats was pretty good about having real training videos. I don't know if that has changed lately.

Yeah, she's great and she just started out recording her attempts toward a 300lb squat. But she's a powerlifter. Most of the popular women's fitness channels are about dat booty.

I mean, it makes sense, most women are not interested in getting ripped, so the content is tailored as such.

ChelseaLifts is/was also good but she went on indefinite break after messing up her back.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
shes slowly moving her brand towards coaching and promoting her company. but she assured people she still lifts. and she has a paid monthly program as well. which makes sense now that she's getting bigger in the internet space.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she's great and she just started out recording her attempts toward a 300lb squat. But she's a powerlifter. Most of the popular women's fitness channels are about dat booty.

I mean, it makes sense, most women are not interested in getting ripped, so the content is tailored as such.

ChelseaLifts is/was also good but she went on indefinite break after messing up her back.

I recognized I come from a long line of backass' and accepted it early on. 😂
shes slowly moving her brand towards coaching and promoting her company. but she assured people she still lifts. and she has a paid monthly program as well. which makes sense now that she's getting bigger in the internet space.
That's awesome. She's been around a while and it's nice knowing she hasn't been lost in the shuffle.

Oct 30, 2017
384.75lbs x 3 on deadlift today. Felt pretty good actually. The new 20 inch fan I got for the garage really helps it not be so miserable. Just have to turn there music up louder.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone think training 7x a week is too much? I just feel addicted.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with it on paper, but then again I don't know you - if you aren't able to properly listen to your body and know when to stop, then it's probably gonna smack you in the butt at some point.

I trained running 7x a week for 1½ year without any issues, but my schedule was incredibly varied.
5km slow run / 10km fast run / 5km slow run / 20km medium run / 5km slow run / 5km sprint / 10 km medium run - something along those lines.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, All Natural Peanut Butter is a major key.

If the peanut better separates you're good. No added sugar, just peanuts... and maybe salt.

It's a darn shame this isn't easier to come by. At my local shop it's 3/4 that's filled with other shit, should be the other way around. I settled on buying 1kg buckets of 100% peanuts from a .. supplement? site. Just looks ridiculous having 5kg of peanut butter in buckets in the cabinet.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone think training 7x a week is too much? I just feel addicted.
If you train the same muscles in the same way all 7 days, yes.
If you mix it up so that no muscle is trained in the same way more than every 2 or 3 days and you throw in some endurance or flexibility training to aid recovery and mix tihings up, you're probably fine.

Full-body strength training Monday through Friday? Not a good idea.
Full body strength and intense calisthenic conditioning on alternating days Monday through Friday? Not a good idea.
An upper lower strength split done twice a week for a total of four days, with low to medium intensity endurance training the remaining three? Should be fine.

All of this hinges on recovery. Getting lots of sleep, eating lots of food, and minimizing stress is paramount for recovery.