• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
About to hit the gym for leg day. If I'm successful, I won't be able to sit without pain for most of the week 💪🏻😂

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Squats, walking lunges, seated calf raises, standing Smith machine calf raises, Romanian deadlifts, solo leg curls, cable kick backs, and barbell hip thrusts yesterday.

I can't walk

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Plateauuuuuu

936a90ba-45aa-436d-brckgd.jpeg

I'm going to be on vacation in a week so I'm reluctant to toss in a cheat day to see if that will kickstart things. Probably going to try upping cardio.

LOL I don't know why I enjoy these videos so much. Brian Shaw who eats 12k calories every day couldn't put down 25k but this cut dude pulls it off.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Happy monday folks, yesterday was light leg and light shoulders due to gyming with the wifee... also refeed day and ate prob over 250g of carbs :D

Today is all cardio and core work, hiits, rope swings, hanging knee raises, kettle bell stuff... looking to sweat!

Feb 26, 2019
Messed up my a/c joint recently so I'm going to have to take a break. I was thinking about just eliminating bench and dips and maybe a few other things and pushing through with stuff that doesn't actively aggravate it, but the wife is pushing me to just take some time off and let it heal. I know she's right but man is it frustrating! Worst part is that the injury happened (or at least I recognized it) gradually so I don't even know how I hurt it. Looks like I'll have to get pretty chummy with the treadmill so my inner chubster doesn't take over. One of the best things about lifting regularly was that it mostly let me eat what I wanted..

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Why do I always feel like bulking in the summer and cutting during the winter. My natural inclinations are all out of whack.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I always feel like bulking in the summer and cutting during the winter. My natural inclinations are all out of whack.

Ice cream.

In other news I've been feeling run down today so I said screw it, I'm going to eat. I went to the gym and then had a big Moe's steak bowl and about 600 calories of dark chocolate. Think I'll have some pasta with dinner.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Ice cream.

In other news I've been feeling run down today so I said screw it, I'm going to eat. I went to the gym and then had a big Moe's steak bowl and about 600 calories of dark chocolate. Think I'll have some pasta with dinner.
I'm on keto so I can't even eat ice cream that doesn't taste like shit. I just really am motivated to build muscle during the summer and then want to trim the fat during winter. Doesn't make sense but you gotta do what makes you happy and keeps you motivated even if it doesnt make you happy when you hit the pool. Although as I'm an actual Dad apparently I am rocking the body everyone wants.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Messed up my a/c joint recently so I'm going to have to take a break. I was thinking about just eliminating bench and dips and maybe a few other things and pushing through with stuff that doesn't actively aggravate it, but the wife is pushing me to just take some time off and let it heal. I know she's right but man is it frustrating! Worst part is that the injury happened (or at least I recognized it) gradually so I don't even know how I hurt it. Looks like I'll have to get pretty chummy with the treadmill so my inner chubster doesn't take over. One of the best things about lifting regularly was that it mostly let me eat what I wanted..

Have you been to a doctor? If so you should ideally have been referred to a physio (if you are NHS you need to push them). If not go for chat to a physio they will give you some advice on how to work around that and give you some exercises specifically for it.

Usually a few causes. You play full contact sports, have bad OHP form or push past form break, and a big one that people miss is releasing weights at the end of a set, especially if pressing with a dumbbell as people will just drop them at the side and arms travelling down places a lot of tension on the AC. First one is part of the game but you can fix the others and great resources on it.

Feb 26, 2019
Have you been to a doctor? If so you should ideally have been referred to a physio (if you are NHS you need to push them). If not go for chat to a physio they will give you some advice on how to work around that and give you some exercises specifically for it.

Usually a few causes. You play full contact sports, have bad OHP form or push past form break, and a big one that people miss is releasing weights at the end of a set, especially if pressing with a dumbbell as people will just drop them at the side and arms travelling down places a lot of tension on the AC. First one is part of the game but you can fix the others and great resources on it.

I haven't been to the doc yet, but that's on the to do list. Work makes it a PITA to schedule, as this is our busy season. I would love to be able to continue doing some lifting, so I guess I should make the appointment a priority.

As for the cause, I did just change up my routine so I'm sure that has something to do with it, although it's just the joint on my dominant side and not both. I added dumbbell bench and dips to what I was doing so if I had to guess it's probably one of those thing. I've been doing OHP forever so I can't imagine that's the cause and I'm 40 so my days of contact sports are in the rearview by now

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
I started going to the gym about four weeks ago.

Feels great not to be out of breath anymore when walking moderate to long distances.

That's awesome dude :) keep it up, you'll start to notice more and more. The best part of training is how it helps your day to day life. I'm so much more mobile and agile than I used to be. Makes me feel like a beached whale thinking back to before I started taking fitness seriously.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Signed up for a 3 month contract "hoping I'm moving in 5 months so I'll be taking too". I havent been in shape for a long time but I'm making alot of changes in my life. Thursday I meet with a trainer to give me a workout schedule, gonna shoot for 4 times a week.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Was able to PR incline dumbbell press yesterday! 80lbs for 6 solid reps. Gotta keep pushing chest so stubborn to grow.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happens if you break the contract
I'm paid in advance, I shouldn't have said contract that really wasnt the right word so forgive me on that. 3 months I can come and go as I please I cannot steal from them and I can't bring people in with me unless I get a guest pass or wreck the place if I decide to come in at 430 and no ones there. There are cameras in the place along with a card I scan in to unlock the doors. If I do anything stupid I'll be fined for it basically

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
When keeping track of macros, do you keep track of total fat or saturated fats? Can you go over a certain fat?
This seems impossible

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
When keeping track of macros, do you keep track of total fat or saturated fats? Can you go over a certain fat?
This seems impossible
It helps to start simple and prioritise. For me, I prioritise calories, then protein. I eat at slightly above maintenance (I actually aim for maintenance knowing I always slightly lowball my intake vs my TDEE). I aim to eat 1.4g of protein for every kg I weigh as a second priority. After that, I try to keep my carbs down and the fat figure just kind of falls out of that.

About saturated fat, if you're eating relatively healthy (ie watching your caloric intake), you're going to be avoiding food high in saturated fat anyway.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was able to PR incline dumbbell press yesterday! 80lbs for 6 solid reps. Gotta keep pushing chest so stubborn to grow.

Do you know the trick of leading with your thumbs on the dumbbell press?

If you do ignore the rest: when pushing try lead with your thump as the highest point and at the apex try have both of you thumbs touch. Even without weights you should get a really strong chest contraction from that, for more than any other.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey people!! First time posting here.

I've read the info at the start of the thread but couldn't get to the link that was used to calculate the calories one needs to have a normal day.

So, I would like to start a healthier diet and try to get somewhat toned at the abs, not necessarily a six pack but don't really know how to start and what exercises or routine is the best/most recommended.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated! (I've returned to the gym a few weeks back and go there 3 or 4 times a week)

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get back into some strength training after a bit of a hiatus.

I have a history of going through StrongLifts / Starting Strength and eventually running through 5/3/1-style programs. I had surgery on a herniated disk about 12 years ago, and while I made a full recovery and was comfortably squatting, deadlifting, etc, at some point I aggravated the injury and scar tissue a bit (luckily did not re-herniate) and have since not really been able to work barbell squats or deadlifts into my training.

I kept training for a while with less straining but also less effective lower body exercises (pretty much impossible to match squats and deadlifts), but life caught up with me (work, new house, and a newborn) and it's been 6-8 months since I've done anything with any kind of consistency.

Now I'm considering giving the routine over at /r/bodyweightfitness a try. It's much easier for me to work out from home vs. joining a gym at the moment, and I've always wanted to give calisthenics a try after years of barbell training. I'm also much less concerned about getting big and building muscle as I previously was, so I'm fine with the trade-off of bodyweight stuff vs. barbell.

I'm going to buy a wall-mounted pull-up bar for our garage, some rings, and dip bars (something like this). I've looked at options from Rogue Fitness, Titan, etc, and they all look generally good, so I'm wondering if anyone has any specific equipment recommendations?

I've had the toughest time with dip bars, and finding a set that's high enough that I can get full depth with straight legs and without touching the ground (I think the Titan set I linked to is a bit too short for that) for an easier time while wearing a weight belt. Also, in the past I've preferred this style of pull-up grip (not sure what it's called -- it's not neutral/hammer grip, because it's angled out, but it's similar). But I haven't seen that configuration on any of the pull-up bars I've seen while shopping. It's not a dealbreaker, but it'd be a nice option to have if possible.

I'm also looking for some guidance on how far from the wall I should be aiming for the pull-up bar to extend in order to maximize the ring-based exercises I can comfortably do. It seems like most places offer several options for depth.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
It helps to start simple and prioritise. For me, I prioritise calories, then protein. I eat at slightly above maintenance (I actually aim for maintenance knowing I always slightly lowball my intake vs my TDEE). I aim to eat 1.4g of protein for every kg I weigh as a second priority. After that, I try to keep my carbs down and the fat figure just kind of falls out of that.

About saturated fat, if you're eating relatively healthy (ie watching your caloric intake), you're going to be avoiding food high in saturated fat anyway.
Thanks for the advice that was really helpful. Eating at a deficit for the first time today was a trial that's for sure.. but I want that six pack lom

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Do you know the trick of leading with your thumbs on the dumbbell press?

If you do ignore the rest: when pushing try lead with your thump as the highest point and at the apex try have both of you thumbs touch. Even without weights you should get a really strong chest contraction from that, for more than any other.

Oh that is interesting... did not know hmmm. Let me try it out 👍👍

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
What's the most reliable macro calculator? The links in the OP aren't working and I have been getting vastly different answers from different calculators lol

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get back into some strength training after a bit of a hiatus.

I have a history of going through StrongLifts / Starting Strength and eventually running through 5/3/1-style programs. I had surgery on a herniated disk about 12 years ago, and while I made a full recovery and was comfortably squatting, deadlifting, etc, at some point I aggravated the injury and scar tissue a bit (luckily did not re-herniate) and have since not really been able to work barbell squats or deadlifts into my training.

I kept training for a while with less straining but also less effective lower body exercises (pretty much impossible to match squats and deadlifts), but life caught up with me (work, new house, and a newborn) and it's been 6-8 months since I've done anything with any kind of consistency.

Now I'm considering giving the routine over at /r/bodyweightfitness a try. It's much easier for me to work out from home vs. joining a gym at the moment, and I've always wanted to give calisthenics a try after years of barbell training. I'm also much less concerned about getting big and building muscle as I previously was, so I'm fine with the trade-off of bodyweight stuff vs. barbell.

I'm going to buy a wall-mounted pull-up bar for our garage, some rings, and dip bars (something like this). I've looked at options from Rogue Fitness, Titan, etc, and they all look generally good, so I'm wondering if anyone has any specific equipment recommendations?

I've had the toughest time with dip bars, and finding a set that's high enough that I can get full depth with straight legs and without touching the ground (I think the Titan set I linked to is a bit too short for that) for an easier time while wearing a weight belt. Also, in the past I've preferred this style of pull-up grip (not sure what it's called -- it's not neutral/hammer grip, because it's angled out, but it's similar). But I haven't seen that configuration on any of the pull-up bars I've seen while shopping. It's not a dealbreaker, but it'd be a nice option to have if possible.

I'm also looking for some guidance on how far from the wall I should be aiming for the pull-up bar to extend in order to maximize the ring-based exercises I can comfortably do. It seems like most places offer several options for depth.

Don't need anything special a straightbar and rings will do the job but may also need resistance bands, with a pull-up just focus on the overhand grip as its the best for development. Maybe parrallettes once you start planche, ideally some free weights as well because they are very handy.

Rings in my opinion are the best and most fun exercise equipment around and have huge variety of use. Everyone that does upper body training should get a pair, a standard hold activates the chest like crazy, it's by far the best mind muscle exercise you can do for it. All exercises on them are much harder and quickly realise why gymnasts have huge chests and shoulders. I always do weighted dips on rings and also modify the rings to do trap pull downs without the need for an expensive machine. Weighted inverted rows and lever progression for lats I massively prefer to machines or free weight alternatives.

It's been years since I did callisthenics properly and weigh a lot more than I did then but the core lessons I learned is that balance is often the limiting factor for most of the exercises. Try set your workouts around strength and balance separately so you aren't limiting yourself due to a deficiency in either one.

Also don't ignore using weights, things like pull-ups, handstands, planche, leaver all require a lot of strength, lighter weights can help you get to that point much quicker. Also they are limited once you get to a certain point and the flashy stuff is often more balance than strength related and the best exercises are the ones that you did in week one so to continue to improve you need to start using weights to get you there. Also all the callisthenics guys you see that are ripped use weights.

For resources Calisthenicmovement and FitnessFAQs on YouTube are by far the best on there, they are both physiotherapists. They are good resources for anyone into working out.

Last edited:

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
with a pull-up just focus on the overhand grip as its the best for development

Interesting, do you have any further reading I could dive into regarding this? /r/bodyweightfitness notes that grip style largely doesn't matter and just recommends picking the most comfortable one and staying consistent.

Rings in my opinion are the best and most fun exercise equipment around and have huge variety of use. Everyone that does upper body training should get a pair, a standard hold activates the chest like crazy it's by far the best mind muscle exercise you can do for it. All exercises on them are much harder and quickly realise why gymnasts have huge chests and shoulders. I always do weighted dips on rings and also modify the rings to do trap pull downs without the need for an expensive machine. Weighted inverted rows and lever progression for lats I massively prefer to machines or free weight alternatives.

*nods* I'm looking forward to giving them a try, they seem so versatile! And you can even travel with them pretty easily for workouts in hotels, etc.

Also don't ignore using weights, things like pull-ups, handstands, planche, leaver all require a lot of strength, lighter weights can help you get to that point much quicker. Also they are limited once you get to a certain point and the flashy stuff is often more balance than strength related and the best exercises are the ones that you did in week one so to continue to improve you need to start using weights to get you there. Also all the callisthenics guys you see that are ripped use weights.

I'm less interested in the "skill" BW exercises so I'll probably not choose the paths that work on things like handstands, etc. /r/bwf's "Recommended Routine" has a purely optional track for skill-based work. Also I do know BW stuff ultimately isn't as effective as weight training. But I'm not chasing 300/400/500 bench/squat/deadlift anymore and am perfectly content with just enough strength building for maintenance mode and general fitness. I do all sorts of other activities too (basketball, rock climbing, DDR, Peloton) to stay in shape. At some point I'll probably transition back to doing more barbell stuff. I'd like to see a physical therapist and eventually try to get back to squats/deadlifts in a safe, controlled way.

For resources Calisthenicmovement and FitnessFAQs on YouTube are by far the best on there, they are both physiotherapists. They are good resources for anyone into working out.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

Do you happen to have any thoughts on this question specifically?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, do you have any further reading I could dive into regarding this? /r/bodyweightfitness notes that grip style largely doesn't matter and just recommends picking the most comfortable one and staying consistent.

*nods* I'm looking forward to giving them a try, they seem so versatile! And you can even travel with them pretty easily for workouts in hotels, etc.

I'm less interested in the "skill" BW exercises so I'll probably not choose the paths that work on things like handstands, etc. /r/bwf's "Recommended Routine" has a purely optional track for skill-based work. Also I do know BW stuff ultimately isn't as effective as weight training. But I'm not chasing 300/400/500 bench/squat/deadlift anymore and am perfectly content with just enough strength building for maintenance mode and general fitness. I do all sorts of other activities too (basketball, rock climbing, DDR, Peloton) to stay in shape. At some point I'll probably transition back to doing more barbell stuff. I'd like to see a physical therapist and eventually try to get back to squats/deadlifts in a safe, controlled way.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!

Do you happen to have any thoughts on this question specifically?

I don't have the links on hand but the study I'm thinking of also covers the lat pull down (will try find it this evening). Essentially grip width is less important but grip positioning is depending on what you want to activate, overhand requires much higher back activation whereas the others utilise the bicep more. So also relative to what you are focusing on.

Ideally if you can try get your bar to hang from the ceiling that would be best, might not be feasible but gives full range of motion for rings. If only option is to use the wall have it far enough away that if you are tilting with your head in the direction of the wall you have a decent amount of room not to smash your head on the wall even with a bit of swing so will be dependent on your height and limb length. You don't want swing to happen but it does so just be safe.