• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I'd always suggest doing pull-ups with thumb around the bar for safety reasons.

Lat pull downs are a different story and keeping your thumb in front of the bar is helpful to keep you from pulling less with your biceps.
Think of "pulling from your elbows" until you feel your shoulder blades meet

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First time in and I threw up, I'm still recovering lol. Had a trainer give me a guide and he trained me that one day, my body wasnt ready... I'm still gonna stick with that i did tho. Nothing shocking mostly squats, push ups, lunges, pull up, something with a bell thing I picked up, and planking.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have anything to eat since running errands for work. Just had some monster. I'm ready for füd

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I've never cut before and this shit is tough af. Is it supposed to be difficult? I know I'm just getting a hang of scheduling meals and stuff but damn I'm hungry lol

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I've never cut before and this shit is tough af. Is it supposed to be difficult? I know I'm just getting a hang of scheduling meals and stuff but damn I'm hungry lol
I'm eating at a 1000cal deficit. I find the best thing to do is IF. Don't eat until 8 hours before bed. I use sugar free energy drinks and water to help out.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
what energy drink brands would you recommend

im at a -20% deficit but i just got done bulking so the struggle is reallll

20% is a bunch, gluck man!! I am on the same war path to cut cut cut.

Update guys, 7 weeks into my cut... still lifting heavy with much more hiits and core workout. 2 weeks to vegas wedding, starting to do IF from 12 to 9 pm and about 15% less calories a day.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I consistently wake up around 2:30-3:30 AM on saturday mornings, i think it's because i'm so excited about having the day off that my stupid brain doesn't stop thinking about what i'm going to do for the day. "What are you going to eat? What ingredients are you going to use? When are you going to the store? Are you going to the gym? What workouts are you doing? What games are you playing today? How long are you going to play?" My brain just won't turn off and i can't go back to sleep.

Thankfully i usually make up for it the following day with an 8-9 hour sleep.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Daily calories now up to 2900. If I'm still losing weight I'll have to go over 3000.
Hey people!! First time posting here.

I've read the info at the start of the thread but couldn't get to the link that was used to calculate the calories one needs to have a normal day.

So, I would like to start a healthier diet and try to get somewhat toned at the abs, not necessarily a six pack but don't really know how to start and what exercises or routine is the best/most recommended.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated! (I've returned to the gym a few weeks back and go there 3 or 4 times a week)

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time in and I threw up, I'm still recovering lol. Had a trainer give me a guide and he trained me that one day, my body wasnt ready... I'm still gonna stick with that i did tho. Nothing shocking mostly squats, push ups, lunges, pull up, something with a bell thing I picked up, and planking.

Keep at it I still get close to throwing up, especially when pushing it. I had a PT go over my workout on Monday and rejigged it a bit, the changes we made had me close to spilling my guts on every workout this week but feel the best I have in a while.

We didn't change much either, mainly just rest time, style of weight progression for certain exercises and reduce the load on others based on my muscle fibre dominance.

Saying that a lot of trainers forget what it's like coming back into exercise from prolonged lack of exercise or being completely sedentary and could do with building people's conditioning up a bit before hitting them with a proper workout. There is definitely a bit of light sadism with some.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I consistently wake up around 2:30-3:30 AM on saturday mornings, i think it's because i'm so excited about having the day off that my stupid brain doesn't stop thinking about what i'm going to do for the day. "What are you going to eat? What ingredients are you going to use? When are you going to the store? Are you going to the gym? What workouts are you doing? What games are you playing today? How long are you going to play?" My brain just won't turn off and i can't go back to sleep.

Thankfully i usually make up for it the following day with an 8-9 hour sleep.

This just means you want to seize the day and make the best of it! Rock on

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Just got lightheaded for the first time while on my cut.
Guess this means I need to space out my meals better and possibly increase calories a little

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the link!
Some of those exercises look kinda difficult but will try it and see how it goes.

Also, I should try to avoid eating sweet stuff as much as possible (weak point lol)
Search for "Athleanx nutrition" if you want to know some stuff from that YouTube person.

Proper nutrition + training your abs consistently will let you see those things 24/7 365 days ;)

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Search for "Athleanx nutrition" if you want to know some stuff from that YouTube person.

Proper nutrition + training your abs consistently will let you see those things 24/7 365 days ;)
Thanks again for the reply. Proper nutrition is what I'm lacking at the moment imo hahah. Do you know where I could search or read about that? Tbh I'm somewhat uninformed on the matter.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks again for the reply. Proper nutrition is what I'm lacking at the moment imo hahah. Do you know where I could search or read about that? Tbh I'm somewhat uninformed on the matter.

If you download an app like myfitnesspal it will give you a general idea of what kind of nutrition you need for your goals, then look online (especially youtube) for recipes that work to hit those goals. You'll be pretty astonished at how good healthy food can be, you just have to look and tweak to your unique taste/goals.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

Dude stays at <6% body fat year round, it's crazy. He's pretty open that he pretty much only eats clean food at all times.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
If you download an app like myfitnesspal it will give you a general idea of what kind of nutrition you need for your goals, then look online (especially youtube) for recipes that work to hit those goals. You'll be pretty astonished at how good healthy food can be, you just have to look and tweak to your unique taste/goals.
to add. heres some ideas for recipes or food that may fit your macro.

www.eatthismuch.com

Eat This Much, your personal diet assistant

Eat This Much automatically creates custom meal plans for your diet goals. Perfect for weight loss, bodybuilding, Vegan, Paleo, Atkins and more!

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you! All the info on the matter is appreciated.
I'll download that app and search on youtube to know more and see if I can eat healthier.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude stays at <6% body fat year round, it's crazy. He's pretty open that he pretty much only eats clean food at all times.

He does fluctuate quite a bit. He looks like he stays somewhere between 8% and 12% for most videos then a period where he goes super lean.

You can eat quite a lot of amazing food just want to avoid overly calorie dense food with little nutritional value. And once you are lean it's much easier to stay there than somebody having to drop down significantly to get lean. But watching the food stuff on AthleanX he is clearly a beige food kind of guy, doesn't like much flavour and prefers similar textures, there are much better options including things like burgers, pasta, pizza, etc if that is your thing. It would depress the hell out of me trying to eat the stuff on the channel mainly because there is no flavour besides salsa.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Partied last night (bachelor party) and drank way too much, paying for it today and one step backwards from my goal sighhhh

Back on the grind tomorrow for sure.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have to have done something wrong. One work out session and it's been days but I can barely walk up the stairs or sit on the toilet. I dont think I injured myself but I do feel like i did something wrong

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I have to have done something wrong. One work out session and it's been days but I can barely walk up the stairs or sit on the toilet. I dont think I injured myself but I do feel like i did something wrong

Sounds like you were pushed too hard, but you're going to be extremely sore for awhile.

I'm down to 174ibs, from 193. I started going to the gym a couple of days a week. Is there a free weights workout routine for beginners that anyone could recommend?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sounds like Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). It happens when you exercise hard after a long period of not having done it. It'll take a while for your muscles to recover, but it does get better. In the meantime, eat plenty of protein rich foods, drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that sounds like Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). It happens when you exercise hard after a long period of not having done it. It'll take a while for your muscles to recover, but it does get better. In the meantime, eat plenty of protein rich foods, drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep.
Should I attempt to work out through this or just wait it out until I think I'm capable?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Should I attempt to work out through this or just wait it out until I think I'm capable?
You might find that stretching and light warm-up type exercises will help with the pain (ie it disappears while you're warm). Maybe give it another day or two before you go all out again. Paradoxically, the pain is a clear sign that what you're doing is working.

The good news is that DOMS eventually stops happening at all, even if you push yourself.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You might find that stretching and light warm-up type exercises will help with the pain (ie it disappears while you're warm). Maybe give it another day or two before you go all out again. Paradoxically, the pain is a clear sign that what you're doing is working.

The good news is that DOMS eventually stops happening at all, even if you push yourself.
Thank you so much

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Started doing muscle ups three weeks ago. I went from being able to do 1 with hilariously bad form with a black elastic band, to being able to do 10 in a row with *good* form. Wednesday I'm gonna go one size down in elastic band, and we'll see if I can still maintain 5x3.

If you're new at this, it's incredibly hard not to get sore, no matter how light you go. Best things to do is simply remember why it hurts. It's not cause you damaged any joints or similar - it's simply your muscles being worked hard. Keep at it brother, it'll only get easier.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing wrong just DOMS. They decrease in intensity the more proficient you get at the exercise but some people are more predisposed to them than others. They can also hit you when you implement new exercises or you push the intensity of a workout even if you are experienced.

Use a hot/cold compress, take some ibuprofen (tablets or gel), have an Epsom salt bath, eat a balanced diet but heavier on the protein than normally recommended, do some dynamic warm ups in the morning and warm up specific to the exercise you are doing before you go for it, then do a cool down when finished.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Sounds like you were pushed too hard, but you're going to be extremely sore for awhile.

I'm down to 174ibs, from 193. I started going to the gym a couple of days a week. Is there a free weights workout routine for beginners that anyone could recommend?

Sounds like you are making great progress. WRT to free weights workout routine, there's so many out there. Check out bodybuilding stuff... like this one:

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Started doing muscle ups three weeks ago. I went from being able to do 1 with hilariously bad form with a black elastic band, to being able to do 10 in a row with *good* form. Wednesday I'm gonna go one size down in elastic band, and we'll see if I can still maintain 5x3.

If you're new at this, it's incredibly hard not to get sore, no matter how light you go. Best things to do is simply remember why it hurts. It's not cause you damaged any joints or similar - it's simply your muscles being worked hard. Keep at it brother, it'll only get easier.
I somehow missed that you mentioned using a band the first time reading through and I was wondering how the hell you went from 1 to 10 muscle-ups in 3 weeks. Still, pretty great. My pull-up speed is great til I get to about chest to bar but I can't do the transition very well at all. Need to do them regularly alongside pull-ups.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Any do fasting in here? I'm diabetic and I've heard it can help with controlling sugars. I think it'd probably help me organize meals and all that anyways since I'm so scatterbrained it's hard to plan more than one a day. Only worry would be losing muscle.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Any do fasting in here? I'm diabetic and I've heard it can help with controlling sugars. I think it'd probably help me organize meals and all that anyways since I'm so scatterbrained it's hard to plan more than one a day. Only worry would be losing muscle.

I dont know if this is the type of fasting you mean, but i recently switched from eating every 3 hours to eating within a 6-8 hour window and my cravings for fast food and sweets is much more manageable.

I havent went to a restaurant since i started, and my old Saturday cheat meal was all i thought about before switching to intermittent fasting.

I've been able to control my sweet tooth with healthier desserts ive found on youtube, like using sweetners and whey as substitutes and using oats/peanut butter as the foundation.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow missed that you mentioned using a band the first time reading through and I was wondering how the hell you went from 1 to 10 muscle-ups in 3 weeks. Still, pretty great. My pull-up speed is great til I get to about chest to bar but I can't do the transition very well at all. Need to do them regularly alongside pull-ups.

I'm pretty strong weightwise, but the technique fucked me up badly in the beginning. I basically just went over to a band that took off half my weight, was plenty easy to focus on form then.

I do it 3 times a week right now, it's fun - just takes a bit of time.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty strong weightwise, but the technique fucked me up badly in the beginning. I basically just went over to a band that took off half my weight, was plenty easy to focus on form then.

I do it 3 times a week right now, it's fun - just takes a bit of time.

Have you tried ring muscle ups yet?

False grip is horrible.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I wouldn't say I do it intentionally but I pretty much do intermittent fasting. I've never really been a breakfast person and I often find myself skipping lunch especially at work. So a lot of days I eat all my calories within a 2-3 hour period at night. I'm pretty used to it and whilst i sometimes feel hungry I don't feel like I'm ever lacking energy.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to do more CrossFit style workouts. And I'm kind of enjoying it.

I love a lot of things about CrossFit, but the times I've been at a CrossFit gym it's turned into this almost cult-like atmosphere. Like - people were overly nice and all 'Great workout bud, can't wait to see you on wednesday!' I mean - niceties are great, but.. yea.. I'm skeptic.

I might just be jaded as fuck.

Have you tried ring muscle ups yet?

False grip is horrible.

That looks absolutely brutal.

Can't wait to try it!

I wouldn't say I do it intentionally but I pretty much do intermittent fasting. I've never really been a breakfast person and I often find myself skipping lunch especially at work. So a lot of days I eat all my calories within a 2-3 hour period at night. I'm pretty used to it and whilst i sometimes feel hungry I don't feel like I'm ever lacking energy.

This is basically what I do when cutting. I don't eat from 23:00 to 11:00, and then I get my 3 meals in between that time - works great for me.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Broke through a plateau on my OHP today. My estimated 1RM is still quite low (42kg), but it felt great to eke out that last rep. 60kg here I come!

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i keep forgetting to save money because the clearance on crossfit gears are coming since the Crossfit games just finished.