• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey Fitness Era, looking at strengthening my rear deltoids more, having a hard time feeling exercises that isolate them. Advice appreciated. I feel like every muscle compensates for them in my rows and I just don't feel like they're being hit as much as they should be. Had a trainer help me improve form in rows but just don't ever feel like progress there. Feel it more on reverse pec deck/rear delt machine but one machine doesn't really make a good program for me.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Fitness Era, looking at strengthening my rear deltoids more, having a hard time feeling exercises that isolate them. Advice appreciated. I feel like every muscle compensates for them in my rows and I just don't feel like they're being hit as much as they should be. Had a trainer help me improve form in rows but just don't ever feel like progress there. Feel it more on reverse pec deck/rear delt machine but one machine doesn't really make a good program for me.

Have you tried a dumbbell bent over lat raise using an incline bench? Used as a finisher experimenting with your arm angle to find your sweet spot at squeezing the rear delt, often a 45 degree angle away from the body when in the final position works really well. That's where I get the best isolation and squeeze anyway on a rear delt but isn't something I have in my workout or focused on, yet.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
s
F5408-B72-1-EEB-4-B66-B5-F2-17-F6-FF46-BF14.jpg

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Never posted in here before but just wanted to share.

Been really working on getting into shape the last 6 months. I'm 6'1" and had a starting weight of 210 pounds. I just hit 185 pounds as of yesterday.

Its been a combination of things. Eating healthier, walking 5-10 miles a day, free weights, punching bag, tons of water and intermediate fasting.

Can believe how great I feel and how addicted I am to this new lifestyle. I am stronger, faster and have a ton of energy to play with my kids.

Well thanks for listening...

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Been really working on getting into shape the last 6 months. I'm 6'1" and had a starting weight of 210 pounds. I just hit 185 pounds as of yesterday.

Its been a combination of things. Eating healthier, walking 5-10 miles a day, free weights, punching bag, tons of water and intermediate fasting.

Can believe how great I feel and how addicted I am to this new lifestyle. I am stronger, faster and have a ton of energy to play with my kids.

It does get addicting, doesn't it? When everyday mundane tasks suddenly becomes easier, when you suddenly do things a different way because it's no longer a hassle - incredibly rewarding.

Hope you keep us updated on the future progress! :)

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is dope, did you just a get any punching bug and are now doing HIIT stuff with it?
And 10 miles is no joke, I wish my suburbs had places to go.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Great job! I was 200 pounds before, most of my life. Then I started running and within three months I was 140 pounds. I needed to get some meat on me so I decided to hit the gym and now I'm maintaining 165 and hope to sculpt out a Greek figure in me. Good job in realizing and accepting this as a lifestyle and not just a goal thing. Keep it up!

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm tired of feeling tired so a couple weeks ago I stopped drinking any calories and decided on going with a regimented meal plan for breakfast and lunch. Supper I'm much less restrictive on because I know my wife won't stand for chicken and rice. I'm also doing 30 minutes of cardio a day. 3 days a week of running (none To run plan) and 3 days a week on a recumbent bike just to make sure I'm not going too hard on high impact running right off the bat. I'm not currently doing anything on Sundays. The plan is to diet and cardio down to 170 (from 205) and then start strength training. I don't have my strength training planned out yet as I'm unsure about how to get enough flexibility to squat properly (I definitely have ankle and hip mobility issues from a desk job and gaming habits while growing up). I have never been an athlete (always been a bit chubby) so this is all new to me.

Cutting out the coffee with milk and sugar has already led to some positive energy gains so I've been enjoying a much more stable energy level.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried barbell squat and OMG I'm addicted. I can't explain it, but if feels so good.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm tired of feeling tired so a couple weeks ago I stopped drinking any calories and decided on going with a regimented meal plan for breakfast and lunch. Supper I'm much less restrictive on because I know my wife won't stand for chicken and rice. I'm also doing 30 minutes of cardio a day. 3 days a week of running (none To run plan) and 3 days a week on a recumbent bike just to make sure I'm not going too hard on high impact running right off the bat. I'm not currently doing anything on Sundays. The plan is to diet and cardio down to 170 (from 205) and then start strength training. I don't have my strength training planned out yet as I'm unsure about how to get enough flexibility to squat properly (I definitely have ankle and hip mobility issues from a desk job and gaming habits while growing up). I have never been an athlete (always been a bit chubby) so this is all new to me.

Cutting out the coffee with milk and sugar has already led to some positive energy gains so I've been enjoying a much more stable energy level.

Reading all these impressions from people who are just getting started is awesome. Keep it at champ! :)

My journey was largely the same, although I suffered from severe underweight most my life, and what changed it for me, was drinking the extra calories.

I finally tried barbell squat and OMG I'm addicted. I can't explain it, but if feels so good.

Did you do squats with dumbbells before, or was this your first squat?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic. Keep it up, getting started is always the hardest part.

In regards to mobility have a peek at this:

If you happen to find running a bit hard on your knees which is more than normal for people that are trying to lose weight try speedrope instead if running is your goal. Far less impact, great for heart health, and helps people get closer to running whilst carrying extra weight and helping improve conditioning.

Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. Keep it up, getting started is always the hardest part.

In regards to mobility have a peek at this:

If you happen to find running a bit hard on your knees which is more than normal for people that are trying to lose weight try speedrope instead if running is your goal. Far less impact, great for heart health, and helps people get closer to running whilst carrying extra weight and helping improve conditioning.

When I used to run a lot, I made sure to have quite a few runs in the woods or at the park, just to soften the impact a bit. Definitely not available for everyone to do.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Reading all these impressions from people who are just getting started is awesome. Keep it at champ! :)

My journey was largely the same, although I suffered from severe underweight most my life, and what changed it for me, was drinking the extra calories.

Did you do squats with dumbbells before, or was this your first squat?

First time with barbell

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do people here approach their lifting weight progression?

My rule of thumb in the past has been to find a weight where I can hit ten reps but one off failure (or form break on riskier heavy lifts) as focus is on hypertrophy rather than strength. From there the following sets I do what I can until one off failure, I always push each set to this point. I don't consider moving up until I can do 10 reps on my third set with close to perfect form, this often means going closer to 20 reps on my first set before moving the weight up. On certain exercises I will also do the eccentric portion until failure. When moving the weight up I do the same evaluation and repeat.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Been about a year since my last picture.

Not much progress but still relatively in good health.

Visceral fats just won't go :/

I'm 185 cms tall (6'1") for 93 kgs (205lbs) and around 14% body fat

PS it shows I hate taking pictures :/

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the last time i did RDL but my ass is still feeling the DOM since 2 days ago.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I turn 30 today and was curious what the most common tests i should ask the doctor for to check my overall health, what should i ask for?

Is there a way to test what nutrients i'm lacking and need supplements for?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone else wraps them for me

One thing you could do is wrap zinc-oxide tape over where the abrasion is happening before you put the boxing wrap on. This will absorb the movement of the fabric and also moisturise the skin a bit whilst also keeping bacteria build up down in a sweaty warm environment.

Then also just use a hand cream or body oil afterwards.

Zinc-oxide is also really good for long distance running or trail running for wrapping areas of the foot to prevent blisters. Or even just breaking in a high quality pair of shoes.

Another thing you could do is use a bucket of rice to build up your skin toughness. Just search how to do this, I've never done it but seen many in fight gyms and those that do gymnastics professionally do this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I turn 30 today and was curious what the most common tests i should ask the doctor for to check my overall health, what should i ask for?

Happy birthday.

Cholesterol, resting heart rate, blood pressure, blood work for deficiencies. They are your standard tests.

If you can ask for a lung health, elevated heart rate, VO2, metabolic rate, body water, bone mass, body fat. You can do all of these yourself but health professionals have much better tools however not done by standard doctors unless there is a specific need.

If you have private health care just ask for the full works and they will do all the disease related stuff as well.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday.

Cholesterol, resting heart rate, blood pressure, blood work for deficiencies. They are your standard tests.

If you can ask for a lung health, elevated heart rate, VO2, metabolic rate, body water, bone mass, body fat. You can do all of these yourself but health professionals have much better tools however not done by standard doctors unless there is a specific need.

If you have private health care just ask for the full works and they will do all the disease related stuff as well.

Thanks!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

happy bday, I wished I was 30 again, so young and in just starting to get to your prime! go get it!

a full blood test will give you an idea what you're lacking but I bet it is vitamin D (majority of us lack it), calcium, vitamin E.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Just get a basic blood work and pee test done. I had mine a month or two ago and had elevate liver enzymes. Scared the shit outta me but doctor said it most likely too much fast food lol.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Hey, to those people who do weights and log sessions in an app, what do you use? Sorry if this has been asked a million times in this thread; if so, my search-fu was weak.

I've gotten back into this after a number of years and traditionally I'd be using a notepad+pen. Now I'm doing the same, but logging it afterwards in a google doc. This is a pain when I add or subtract something to my routine and gets messy over simple A/B full body splits, let alone anything more complex

I'm looking for (in order of importance):
- Easy to log sets/reps/weight
- Easy to set new target/starting weights for the next session - I want to finish my last set, decide if I want to up the weight and set it there
- Change ad-hoc during the routine - eg, I maybe swap out an exercise for a couple of weeks, I don't necessarily want to edit the routine, just log what I did.
- Preferably available on iOS, Android and PC and have them cloud synced
- Ability to log other types of exercise

I'm leaning towards Strong, but Jefit looks interesting also.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Third day back to the gum and I still couldnt do 3 sets of anything lol, by the time I reached planking i almost threw up again so i had to skip it (thankfully that was my last thing so I did the rest of my workout) so I think I may have to disagree with my training routine and do 2 sets for everything. I'm still so shaky after hahaha

My form feels weird with people watching (small gym) and I kinda feel like an idiot. Plus side though I'm already feeling my efforts, my body feels a bit better and I have some muscles. Plus with dieting i lost 7 pounds since my last doctor appointment so calorie counting has really made a difference

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Third day back to the gum and I still couldnt do 3 sets of anything lol, by the time I reached planking i almost threw up again so i had to skip it (thankfully that was my last thing so I did the rest of my workout) so I think I may have to disagree with my training routine and do 2 sets for everything. I'm still so shaky after hahaha

My form feels weird with people watching (small gym) and I kinda feel like an idiot. Plus side though I'm already feeling my efforts, my body feels a bit better and I have some muscles. Plus with dieting i lost 7 pounds since my last doctor appointment so calorie counting has really made a difference
What's your goal as of now? Muscle mass? Weight loss? Fat loss?

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's your goal as of now? Muscle mass? Weight loss? Fat loss?
Weight loss and tone. Kinda want a swimmers body kinda thing. My intro to the gym gave me a schedule of 3 sets of squats, lunges, kettlebell dead lift, push ups, pull ups, and 30 seconds of planking. I'm 6 3 at 202 pounds currently and before recently I've had a garbage diet with no excerise and I started changing lifestyle about 5 weeks ago

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Weight loss and tone. Kinda want a swimmers body kinda thing. My intro to the gym gave me a schedule of 3 sets of squats, lunges, kettlebell dead lift, push ups, pull ups, and 30 seconds of planking. I'm 6 3 at 202 pounds currently and before recently I've had a garbage diet with no excerise and I started changing lifestyle about 5 weeks ago

You are not that heavy to begin with for your height at all. Sounds funny but actually swimming is a great great way to slim down. I used to swim many times a week as well. Super full body workout and gets you lean and burns a shit load of calories.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are not that heavy to begin with for your height at all. Sounds funny but actually swimming is a great great way to slim down. I used to swim many times a week as well. Super full body workout and gets you lean and burns a shit load of calories.
Gym i have doesnt have a pool and theres no pools around me so unfortunately I can't lol. I know im not heavy, I've been blessed with a good matabolism but I have eaten garbage most of the time. I have body image issues mostly from low self esteem but I'm working on that too. I'm doing my best to work on myself in alot of places and being active makes sense to me

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Gym i have doesnt have a pool and theres no pools around me so unfortunately I can't lol. I know im not heavy, I've been blessed with a good matabolism but I have eaten garbage most of the time. I have body image issues mostly from low self esteem but I'm working on that too. I'm doing my best to work on myself in alot of places and being active makes sense to me

Awesome man. I wish you best of luck. Also, have you tried hiits to help burn calories / slim down? It's been effective for me.