• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing you could do is wrap zinc-oxide tape over where the abrasion is happening before you put the boxing wrap on. This will absorb the movement of the fabric and also moisturise the skin a bit whilst also keeping bacteria build up down in a sweaty warm environment.

Then also just use a hand cream or body oil afterwards.

Zinc-oxide is also really good for long distance running or trail running for wrapping areas of the foot to prevent blisters. Or even just breaking in a high quality pair of shoes.

Another thing you could do is use a bucket of rice to build up your skin toughness. Just search how to do this, I've never done it but seen many in fight gyms and those that do gymnastics professionally do this.
So this isn't like callouses from lifting, nothing my own body can do about to toughen itself? I actually thought about just lessening the impact of my blows, and learning how to wrap my hands myself for starters. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into where I can get zinc-oxide.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this isn't like callouses from lifting, nothing my own body can do about to toughen itself? I actually thought about just lessening the impact of my blows, and learning how to wrap my hands myself for starters. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into where I can get zinc-oxide.

You can get calluses and your skin does get tougher but raw skin is coming from abrasion of the strapping and more likely to get blisters first. Everything you mentioned is also good.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can get calluses and your skin does get tougher but raw skin is coming from abrasion of the strapping and more likely to get blisters first. Everything you mentioned is also good.
Thank you, I don't want to buy bandages anymore and I hope through time my knuckles won't get skinned :)

By the way, how do you know if your punches are getting any stronger?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Oh found you guys!

I have a question about barbel rows. My program is asking me to do a horizontal one but I just cannot do it that way. I have to angle it about 45 degrees. Is this okay to do? What are the benefits/disadvantage of doing it this way versus a horizontal one?

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are good high calorie drinks that aren't the texture of sludge nor loaded full of sugar?

Thank you, I don't want to buy bandages anymore and I hope through time my knuckles won't get skinned :)

By the way, how do you know if your punches are getting any stronger?

I don't actually know. Well Not in a measurable way. The amount of movement you get from a heavy bag is a clear indicator but not exactly accurate. It's not something I have focused on I've always just done boxing for speed, proprioception and conditioning.

You may already know that your power comes from your feet and the ability to transfer that through to your punch so just working on your form for basic jabs, hooks, crosses, uppercuts whilst keeping your feet moving will improve your punching power significantly.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Btw how does my program look?

Monday
Bench Press: 3x5
Barbell row: 3x5
OHP: 3x5
Pull ups
Bicep curl
Dips
skullcrusher

Tuesday
Squat: 3x5
Deadlift: 1x5

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Pull ups
Bicep curl
Dips
skullcrusher

Friday

I add a rep everytime I can do all three sets perfectly up to 8, then add 5 to 10 lbs (depending on the lift) and go back down to 5 reps. I only started deadlifting as well. Is 1x5 enough?

This is from trial and error. I find that 8 to 12 is too much for me and I'm experiencing more growth in the 5 to 8 rep range. Focusing a bit more on my upper body right now as I've already perfected my squat form and I feel like I'm developing nicely down there already. I def have a butt now.

I also find that I grow more when I rest more so recovery is def important to my body.

I also read that I should not do bench press and ohp on the same day. Any more details on this?

My stats:
131 lbs
5'6"
15% body fat.

I was 119 lbs at the beginning of the year and def liking my progress so far.
My one rep max for the squat is 190 lbs. Hope to reach 200 lbs within the next two weeks.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What are good high calorie drinks that aren't the texture of sludge nor loaded full of sugar?

I don't actually know. Well Not in a measurable way. The amount of movement you get from a heavy bag is a clear indicator but not exactly accurate. It's not something I have focused on I've always just done boxing for speed, proprioception and conditioning.

You may already know that your power comes from your feet and the ability to transfer that through to your punch so just working on your form for basic jabs, hooks, crosses, uppercuts whilst keeping your feet moving will improve your punching power significantly.
If you like milk then that. I drink half a gallon of lactose free milk a day.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

Monday
Pull ups
Bicep curl
Dips
skullcrusher

Tuesday

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Pull ups
Bicep curl
Dips
skullcrusher

Friday

I add a rep everytime I can do all three sets perfectly up to 8, then add 5 to 10 lbs (depending on the lift) and go back down to 5 reps. I only started deadlifting as well. Is 1x5 enough?

This is from trial and error. I find that 8 to 12 is too much for me and I'm experiencing more growth in the 5 to 8 rep range. Focusing a bit more on my upper body right now as I've already perfected my squat form and I feel like I'm developing nicely down there already. I def have a butt now.

I also find that I grow more when I rest more so recovery is def important to my body.

I also read that I should not do bench press and ohp on the same day. Any more details on this?

My stats:
131 lbs
5'6"
15% body fat.

I was 119 lbs at the beginning of the year and def liking my progress so far.
My one rep max for the squat is 190 lbs. Hope to reach 200 lbs within the next two weeks.
What are your goals? Get big? Get strong? Both(noting you won't get as big or as strong without focusing)?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Both but focus probably to gain muscles more. My old program had 8 to 12 rep range and I burnt out pretty quickly on it.
So I would put your main lifts in the 1-5 rep range and your accessory lifts in 8-12 range.

You probably need add more pulling work on your upper body days. All of the pushing work is going to leave you unbalanced.

No accessories on squat/deadlift day? Also for those days I would switch which exercise you do first.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
So I would put your main lifts in the 1-5 rep range and your accessory lifts in 8-12 range.

You probably need add more pulling work on your upper body days. All of the pushing work is going to leave you unbalanced.

No accessories on squat/deadlift day? Also for those days I would switch which exercise you do first.
Thank you. Can you give me an example of a pulling compound lift?

I find that my lower body responds really well to the squats and I'm already exhausted by the time I'm done. I actually added the deadlift recently.

Ill probably do some calf raises and straight leg deadlift when I have extra time and have extra energy on those days as accessories.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Barbell rows are the best which you already have listed. For you I would add a close grip pull (row or lat pulldown maybe). If your days take too long I would reduce the pushing as well and just not do the same accessory work on both your upper body days.

This all depends on why you picked those accessories right now. Are they random or are you targeting some weaknesses?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Barbell rows are the best which you already have listed. For you I would add a close grip pull (row or lat pulldown maybe). If your days take too long I would reduce the pushing as well and just not do the same accessory work on both your upper body days.

This all depends on why you picked those accessories right now. Are they random or are you targeting some weaknesses?
I'm def targeting my arms more. They seem to be not growing as much as the rest of my body. But it might be due to me doing my barbel rows wrong before.

I sometimes skip the accessory arm work outs when I've already hit them that week.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm def targeting my arms more. They seem to be not growing as much as the rest of my body. But it might be due to me doing my barbel rows wrong before.

I sometimes skip the accessory arm work outs when I've already hit them that week.

Okay. Tricep work is best for increasing arm size. You've got a bit so you'll just have to see how they respond to this routine.

I find that my lower body responds really well to the squats and I'm already exhausted by the time I'm done. I actually added the deadlift recently.

Ill probably do some calf raises and straight leg deadlift when I have extra time and have extra energy on those days as accessories.
Sorry, missed the second part earlier. If your legs are messed up from squatting and deadlifting, instead of doing more leg work you could add in core work. Increasing core strength will help your squat and deadlift a lot and won't kill your legs.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Tricep work is best for increasing arm size. You've got a bit so you'll just have to see how they respond to this routine.

Sorry, missed the second part earlier. If your legs are messed up from squatting and deadlifting, instead of doing more leg work you could add in core work. Increasing core strength will help your squat and deadlift a lot and won't kill your legs.
Thank you so much. These are all great tips.

Btw one more question: barbel rows are supposed to be horizontal or with an angle? I can't do the horizontal ones but many of the people that I follow on youtube says that horizontal is the best.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much. These are all great tips.

Btw one more question: barbel rows are supposed to be horizontal or with an angle? I can't do the horizontal ones but many of the people that I follow on youtube says that horizontal is the best.
Why can't you do them?

I prefer horizontal because I can load more weight doing it. Since you are doing it for a 3x5 I would expect the load to be pretty high. Maybe you can do it in the 8-12 rep range and angle work. Probably doesn't matter that much since you're a beginner.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't you do them?

I prefer horizontal because I can load more weight doing it. Since you are doing it for a 3x5 I would expect the load to be pretty high. Maybe you can do it in the 8-12 rep range and angle work. Probably doesn't matter that much since you're a beginner.
I'm not that flexible :/

I can't even reach my own toes 😢

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
You could do them prone until you get the flexibility. There is a video on a page back for help with flexibility worth checking out.
Thanks! I just saw that. I'm adding that to my program :)

You can also create shakes by combining some peanut butter (or other nut butters) and adding protein powder and water. You can make these as energy dense as you want and you can even add chocolate power.

My sister makes killer ones with greens.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been doing 4000 calories for 10 days straight now and I feel energetic as fuck in the gym. I'm unsure if it was the calories, or if it was Slipknots new album. But 180lb bench x8 just went by like it was nothing. Fanfuckingtastic.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finally back in the gym after over a year with a back injury and it's my 3rd week back. My back still doesn't feel 100% but it hasn't been an issue doing my starting strength lifts so figure I just have to stretch and build up my strength again. My docs and physical therapists cleared me last year. So here's to hoping I can get back to where I was though I will be extra careful.

Also it's my bday this week and my sister let me pick something with a $200 budget. So I went with Jabra Active Elite 65t earbuds. Price was a msrp last night but I was able to successfully cancel my order while it was prepping and now I'm getting them for $20 off. Can't wait to have good wireless buds for the gym.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Finally back in the gym after over a year with a back injury and it's my 3rd week back. My back still doesn't feel 100% but it hasn't been an issue doing my starting strength lifts so figure I just have to stretch and build up my strength again. My docs and physical therapists cleared me last year. So here's to hoping I can get back to where I was though I will be extra careful.

Also it's my bday this week and my sister let me pick something with a $200 budget. So I went with Jabra Active Elite 65t earbuds. Price was a msrp last night but I was able to successfully cancel my order while it was prepping and now I'm getting them for $20 off. Can't wait to have good wireless buds for the gym.
What was the injury? I've had some take me out for a bit but not an entire year yet. Ouch.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is it worrisome if my heart rate remains abnormally high hours after extraneous exercise?

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, so I started doing the fierce 5 program as I haven't spent any dedicated time lifting weights in close to 20 years.

I'm also tall (6'8") with a history of lower back issues when I was much more out of shape (lost 50lbs and added muscle doing HIIT / dumbbells). I got the pendalay down after watching a million videos and progressing with no weight to weight (and using the squat rack so it was a little off the ground).

What I'm worried about is deadlifts. I know how good they are if done right and I want to do them right. Do you suggest I start the same way? No weight for form and then slowly ramp up weights as a warm up? Start with the bar off the ground? I've been doing them with dumbbells and try to pay attention in the mirror and I think I'm good, just don't want to regret a mistake.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, so I started doing the fierce 5 program as I haven't spent any dedicated time lifting weights in close to 20 years.

I'm also tall (6'8") with a history of lower back issues when I was much more out of shape (lost 50lbs and added muscle doing HIIT / dumbbells). I got the pendalay down after watching a million videos and progressing with no weight to weight (and using the squat rack so it was a little off the ground).

What I'm worried about is deadlifts. I know how good they are if done right and I want to do them right. Do you suggest I start the same way? No weight for form and then slowly ramp up weights as a warm up? Start with the bar off the ground? I've been doing them with dumbbells and try to pay attention in the mirror and I think I'm good, just don't want to regret a mistake.
If you use the bar with no weight you will have to add blocks so the bar hits the blocks instead of the ground. If your gym has bumper plates that are <45lbs, then use those instead of the blocks.

There probably isn't that much technique transfer between dumbbell and barbell deadlifts. The barbell will force some positioning that dumbbells won't.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
If you use the bar with no weight you will have to add blocks so the bar hits the blocks instead of the ground. If your gym has bumper plates that are <45lbs, then use those instead of the blocks.

There probably isn't that much technique transfer between dumbbell and barbell deadlifts. The barbell will force some positioning that dumbbells won't.
I would start the same way I started with the row, using the rack and the safety bars to keep the bar at a level easier for my wonderfully tight hamstrings.

I really need to work on stretching them out

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Might be better to work on lighter weights with higher rep range in the beginning so you can play closer attention to your back.

I still go with lighter weights on deadlifts with higher reps than what I can actually do simply due to a past hamstring injury. My progression is just as consistent as everything else.

If you have had troubles with your lower back in the past use your warm down on lower back corrective exercises. Like these:

Edit: Oh and also for lower back and just overall core endurance which helps significantly with squats and deadlifts include planks (if you can do the basic one easily go onto harder variations or weighted versions) and anti-rotational isometrics for your core.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is it with these weird exercise methods being utilised under the guise of "function"?

Can clearly see why the people that are promoting these are not working in the sports industry and have found their home on the shit that is social media.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Form check on a 110kg diddly. Felt good while doing it, but looking over, it doesn't look like I've got quite enough sway in my back and looks like I end up pulling with it a bit.

I don't know what "sway in the back" or "pulling with it a bit" mean because I'm a filthy American but...
I would pull with a little more patience off the floor. You should be pulling the slack out of the bar at the start but it looks like the bar pulls the slack out of you and causing a slight curvature in your lower back when it leaves the ground. This is also fucking up your lockout. You are having to push your back through extension because of the flexion through the rest of the lift. It's actually pretty minor so I think if you're more conscious of it you can fix it pretty fast.

It's hard to tell but I'm guessing from the grunting that you might not be braced the entire lift. Your brace should end when the bar hits the ground.

Your back angle is pretty horizontal. I deadlift like that too so I don't think it's necessarily a problem. Not sure if you have ever tried moving your hips lower, but it might help with pulling the slack out.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Form check on a 110kg diddly. Felt good while doing it, but looking over, it doesn't look like I've got quite enough sway in my back and looks like I end up pulling with it a bit.

Try dragging the bar right up your shins and thighs. You get better leverage on the bar and it will go up easier, plus if you are hanging the bar out from your body you are more apt to injure yourself. If you are concerned about cuts you can wear pants on deadlift days or just long socks.

A good cue is to stick your rear up and then pull it down and your shins into the bar to initiate the pull. It will also get your back more neutral and angled upward.

Anyway, so vacation was lots of beer, bbq and dessert, but also lots of outdoor activity. Drove home 15 hrs on Monday and yesterday I was feeling really run down and wound up inhaling a medium Dominos plus an order of cinnamon twists for dinner.

Weigh in this morning, only 2lbs heavier than when I left. Woot! Back to the gym tonight!

Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what "sway in the back" or "pulling with it a bit" mean because I'm a filthy American but...
I would pull with a little more patience off the floor. You should be pulling the slack out of the bar at the start but it looks like the bar pulls the slack out of you and causing a slight curvature in your lower back when it leaves the ground. This is also fucking up your lockout. You are having to push your back through extension because of the flexion through the rest of the lift. It's actually pretty minor so I think if you're more conscious of it you can fix it pretty fast.

It's hard to tell but I'm guessing from the grunting that you might not be braced the entire lift. Your brace should end when the bar hits the ground.

Your back angle is pretty horizontal. I deadlift like that too so I don't think it's necessarily a problem. Not sure if you have ever tried moving your hips lower, but it might help with pulling the slack out.
Try dragging the bar right up your shins and thighs. You get better leverage on the bar and it will go up easier, plus if you are hanging the bar out from your body you are more apt to injure yourself. If you are concerned about cuts you can wear pants on deadlift days or just long socks.

A good cue is to stick your rear up and then pull it down and your shins into the bar to initiate the pull. It will also get your back more neutral and angled upward.

Anyway, so vacation was lots of beer, bbq and dessert, but also lots of outdoor activity. Drove home 15 hrs on Monday and yesterday I was feeling really run down and wound up inhaling a medium Dominos plus an order of cinnamon twists for dinner.

Weigh in this morning, only 2lbs heavier than when I left. Woot! Back to the gym tonight!

Duly noted. I'll have this in mind friday when I try again. Thanks guys!

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I've developed some weirdly long way to get set up for deadlifts. It goes something like this:
- make the bar parallel with the lines in the floor mats
- pull up left sock
- pull up right sock
- pull underwear, which is always riding up, out of crotch
- fix shorts at waist
- fix shirt at waist
- fix shirt at neck
- fix shirt at waist again
- alternate shaking legs to get them ready
- step forward
- shake arms and twiddle toes
- breathe, brace, and finally lift

I'm almost embarrassed writing it all down. But it works!

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I must be doing something wrong during by deadlifts because I started doing them and I get sore lower back afterwords.
I look in the mirror during them and everything looks fine and straight so I'm really confused

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I must be doing something wrong during by deadlifts because I started doing them and I get sore lower back afterwords.
I look in the mirror during them and everything looks fine and straight so I'm really confused
Muscle soreness is normal. But make sure you can differentiate between soreness and pain.

You can also use more legs to take some work off your back. It's hard to say without seeing your lift.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had rough week mentally but I'm still calorie counting and exercising at the gym. I still cant do 3 sets of everything but 2 sets 4 times week is still pretty far from where I started

Jun 18, 2018

Your full body work out has lots of overlaps, which means you won't get the best out of the exercises later in session. You could create two different full body work out schedules with different orders to maximise your gains across the week, e.g.

Monday
Pull ups
Weighted Calve Raises
Bicep curl
Dips
Hanging Knee Raises

Thursday
Lateral Raises
Skull Crusher
Oblique Twists
Fall Pulls

Alternatively, since you're happy with your lower body, you could change your routine to a Push / Pull / Squats / Push / Pull routine, and fit in more accessory lifts. Each group of muscles would have a minimum of 2 days rest.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
1st week of 5/3/1 and it's the assistance work that's getting to me. I'm not used to doing 5 sets of anything!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Your full body work out has lots of overlaps, which means you won't get the best out of the exercises later in session. You could create two different full body work out schedules with different orders to maximise your gains across the week, e.g.

Monday
Pull ups
Weighted Calve Raises
Bicep curl
Dips
Hanging Knee Raises

Thursday
Lateral Raises
Skull Crusher
Oblique Twists
Fall Pulls

Alternatively, since you're happy with your lower body, you could change your routine to a Push / Pull / Squats / Push / Pull routine, and fit in more accessory lifts. Each group of muscles would have a minimum of 2 days rest.
Thank you. I bookmarked this post when I'm ready to do the push/pull split. i was wondering how to go on about that.

I've only started seeing significant actual results with my current program since April/May this year and i recently just resetted by Barbel rows (apparently I was doing it wrong) and added the deaflift over the last month. I'll wait a couple of months then most likely switch to the one you suggested.

Last edited: