• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty small guy compared to most of ya, but my arms went from 31cm to 36cm over the past year, and I couldn't be happier :))

I will probably look back at this and think 'jesus i'm small' but right now it feels good.

tjkTfVW.jpg

I don't know what "sway in the back" or "pulling with it a bit" mean because I'm a filthy American but...
I would pull with a little more patience off the floor. You should be pulling the slack out of the bar at the start but it looks like the bar pulls the slack out of you and causing a slight curvature in your lower back when it leaves the ground. This is also fucking up your lockout. You are having to push your back through extension because of the flexion through the rest of the lift. It's actually pretty minor so I think if you're more conscious of it you can fix it pretty fast.

It's hard to tell but I'm guessing from the grunting that you might not be braced the entire lift. Your brace should end when the bar hits the ground.

Your back angle is pretty horizontal. I deadlift like that too so I don't think it's necessarily a problem. Not sure if you have ever tried moving your hips lower, but it might help with pulling the slack out.

Pulling the slack out of the bar did tons for me. I did 110kg like it was nothing today, and went up to 125 and still felt great doing it. Gonna film again next week when I'm off this high.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a pretty small guy compared to most of ya, but my arms went from 31cm to 36cm over the past year, and I couldn't be happier :))

I will probably look back at this and think 'jesus i'm small' but right now it feels good.

Pulling the slack out of the bar did tons for me. I did 110kg like it was nothing today, and went up to 125 and still felt great doing it. Gonna film again next week when I'm off this high.
Cool. Deadlift is my "good" lift so post another vid and I'll see if I can help. It's probably looking pretty good now though.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Update gut check, no filter, 8th week cut. Very close to my goal BF% wise ima try to keep this going through winter which is going to be shit hard.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
1st week of 5/3/1 and it's the assistance work that's getting to me. I'm not used to doing 5 sets of anything!
What variant are you running?

From the sound of things, it's Boring But Big, but it could easily be 5/3/1 for Beginners, because that has you doing 5x5 supplementary lifts before you even get into accessories. Then there's the optional warmup protocol which has you doing three (much lighter) sets before the three working sets, for a total of 11 sets of each main lift.

I'm onto my second cycle of For Beginners, having previously run five cycles of the traditional template from the first book. I have to say For Beginners was a step change in volume for me and BBB seems like a step up from that again. I've had to rethink how I do accessories because of it because my workouts started taking too long.

Mind you, I'm seeing results at a rate I hadn't imagined possible at my age since I switched. I keep track of my body stats and the graph of my lean weight has a definite uptick at the point where I changed the variant.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
What variant are you running?

From the sound of things, it's Boring But Big, but it could easily be 5/3/1 for Beginners, because that has you doing 5x5 supplementary lifts before you even get into accessories. Then there's the optional warmup protocol which has you doing three (much lighter) sets before the three working sets, for a total of 11 sets of each main lift.

I'm onto my second cycle of For Beginners, having previously run five cycles of the traditional template from the first book. I have to say For Beginners was a step change in volume for me and BBB seems like a step up from that again. I've had to rethink how I do accessories because of it because my workouts started taking too long.

Mind you, I'm seeing results at a rate I hadn't imagined possible at my age since I switched. I keep track of my body stats and the graph of my lean weight has a definite uptick at the point where I changed the variant.

I'm doing triumvirate. I've been doing greyskull on and off for a long while and have always just done 3x10 for assistance stuff, so those extra 2 sets are a shock to the system. Plus I'm old (46) which I'm sure doesn't help 😭

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! Not bad for being 37. It took probably two years for my knee to feel good again. Past four months or so is when I started squatting consistently. Low bar is great, too. 345 is the most I've ever squatted.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad to spend at max 2 hours a day doing cardio for 5-6 days a week while following a sports diet? Or should I take more rest days?

I have made it my goal for next summer to get to 15% body fat.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might have done too much cardio before my weight training. Couldnt finish the last set.... problem is the gyms so small I tend to do cardio as a warm up until the area I need opens up. I think I may just need to sit after warmup

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys - would love some advice as I feel like I'm on an okay path.

I recently got a DXA scan and it has my body fat at 25%. I'm fairly skinny and don't really lift so after some much research, I found out I was"skinny fat". Most things I've read have recommended a full body recomp as I'm a newbie and never really lift.

So I've been lifting now about 6 days a week and doing different types of exercises on days to not overtrain one area. (Splits? is the term I think).

I'm also eating at a calorie deficit. My DXA scan provided me a RMR of 1492 calories and I've added my workouts + daily moving from my Apple Watch S4. As it's strength training, I don't really add the full watch calories burn to my daily caloric intake as it doesn't record strength training well.

Currently eating around a 600-700 caloric deficit. I haven't seen much weight loss in 2-3 weeks. I don't do cardio but body looks a bit better than when I started.

I guess I'm gaining some significant muscle? Is this correct? Is this why I'm not losing actual weight? My lifts have gone up about 20-40lbs depending on exercise.

Edit: Nutrition wise, macros are around 50/25/25 for Protein/Carbs/Fat. I'm eating about 1g of protein per lb of body fat. No grains, starches, bread. Still eating fruit.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

I recently got a DXA scan and it has my body fat at 25%. I'm fairly skinny and don't really lift so after some much research, I found out I was"skinny fat". Most things I've read have recommended a full body recomp as I'm a newbie and never really lift.

So I've been lifting now about 6 days a week and doing different types of exercises on days to not overtrain one area. (Splits? is the term I think).

I'm also eating at a calorie deficit. My DXA scan provided me a RMR of 1492 calories and I've added my workouts + daily moving from my Apple Watch S4. As it's strength training, I don't really add the full watch calories burn to my daily caloric intake as it doesn't record strength training well.

Currently eating around a 600-700 caloric deficit. I haven't seen much weight loss in 2-3 weeks. I don't do cardio but body looks a bit better than when I started.

I guess I'm gaining some significant muscle? Is this correct? Is this why I'm not losing actual weight? My lifts have gone up about 20-40lbs depending on exercise.

Edit: Nutrition wise, macros are around 50/25/25 for Protein/Carbs/Fat. I'm eating about 1g of protein per lb of body fat. No grains, starches, bread. Still eating fruit.
Are you on an actual program for your strength training? Get on a basic program that is simple and geared towards beginners. 6 days a week is a lot when you are starting out and you are probably going to do a lot of wheel spinning if you are new.

It's good that you aren't adding the calories from the watch. Those are not very accurate and would take it with a grain of salt. DXA scans are pretty good. I would eat at the he sam deficit for another week or two and then adjust the intake up or down a hundred calories or so depending on your weight loss.

You probably aren't gaining significant muscle. Your lifts are improving because your muscles are adjusting to doing the movements. After that your increases will slow down a bit but you'll start gaining actual muscle. Beginners are a little bit weird in that regard. Normally with that deficit you would be losing muscle. But give it a few months and then I would switch from recomp to gaining.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on an actual program for your strength training? Get on a basic program that is simple and geared towards beginners. 6 days a week is a lot when you are starting out and you are probably going to do a lot of wheel spinning if you are new.

It's good that you aren't adding the calories from the watch. Those are not very accurate and would take it with a grain of salt. DXA scans are pretty good. I would eat at the he sam deficit for another week or two and then adjust the intake up or down a hundred calories or so depending on your weight loss.

You probably aren't gaining significant muscle. Your lifts are improving because your muscles are adjusting to doing the movements. After that your increases will slow down a bit but you'll start gaining actual muscle. Beginners are a little bit weird in that regard. Normally with that deficit you would be losing muscle. But give it a few months and then I would switch from recomp to gaining.

kinda made my own program with the equipment available to me at the work and my home apartment gyms. They are pretty stocked with machines and dumbbells but not so much barbells.

Been kinda doing Shoulders/Chest, Arms/Back and Legs on separate days. Legs I tend to do every 5 days to help them recover. Not feeling any crazy soreness by the time Im back to do another day on the same group from a few days ago. I do about 3x10 of each exercise. Been adding weights to get to fail by 10ish.

thx for the tips on calories! I did try this same method last year. I was a bit heavier and lost 6% body fat over two months (5% over the first). This was from a DXA scan back then but I fell off the train hard for over a year.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
My tip as a beginner: Always do proper form first before upping the weights. I learned this the hard way and wasted a good two years of lifting. I'm gaining more now in the last 6 months compared to the 2 years prior that because I was cheating on my form.

Last edited:

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
kinda made my own program with the equipment available to me at the work and my home apartment gyms. They are pretty stocked with machines and dumbbells but not so much barbells.

Been kinda doing Shoulders/Chest, Arms/Back and Legs on separate days. Legs I tend to do every 5 days to help them recover. Not feeling any crazy soreness by the time Im back to do another day on the same group from a few days ago. I do about 3x10 of each exercise. Been adding weights to get to fail by 10ish.

thx for the tips on calories! I did try this same method last year. I was a bit heavier and lost 6% body fat over two months (5% over the first). This was from a DXA scan back then but I fell off the train hard for over a year.

If you just want to lose a little bit of weight then I think you can do with what you got. For that calorie cutting is going to get you 90% of the way there.

Oct 25, 2017
If you just want to lose a little bit of weight then I think you can do with what you got. For that calorie cutting is going to get you 90% of the way there.
I want to lose body fat mainly. But building some muscle while also losing some of this excessive fat I have is what I'm trying to do. If I did cardio and did no strength training and just did it via nutrition it would just be the same skinny fat problem that I've read everywhere.

Just wasn't sure if I was at some plateau or some weird instance with 3 weeks of fairly consistent weight or if some muscle growth was causing the weight to plateau as I lose fat.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I want to lose body fat mainly. But building some muscle while also losing some of this excessive fat I have is what I'm trying to do. If I did cardio and did no strength training and just did it via nutrition it would just be the same skinny fat problem that I've read everywhere.

Just wasn't sure if I was at some plateau or some weird instance with 3 weeks of fairly consistent weight or if some muscle growth was causing the weight to plateau as I lose fat.
From 25% you can definitely go from skinny fat to skinny if that's what you wanted to do. It sounds like that's not really want you want which I think is for the best. I'm just not sure with your routine that you are going to get what you want. It's hard to tell without knowing what kind of exercises you are doing. There are other routines that are not dumbbell oriented that you could try. When I am injured and can't use barbells I'm a big fan of calisthenic routines. You may want to try one of those.

Noting that I train powerlifting so most of the stuff is out of my wheelhouse.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

6 days is a lot, especially for a beginner. Also a recomp isn't for losing fat fast it's a slow process. If you are working out 6 days a week that is only giving you one day of being in a calorie deficit if you are sticking to standard recomp procedure.

With a recomp you need to test your maintenance numbers thoroughly for both active and inactive days for it to be effective.

Oct 25, 2017
6 days is a lot, especially for a beginner. Also a recomp isn't for losing fat fast it's a slow process. If you are working out 6 days a week that is only giving you one day of being in a calorie deficit if you are sticking to standard recomp procedure.

With a recomp you need to test your maintenance numbers thoroughly for both active and inactive days for it to be effective.
I haven't read anywhere that I'm supposed to eat exactly to maintenance on the workout days and only at a deficit on my off days.

In fact, I've read that I should be at deficit (at least a small one .. maybe no more than 500) in many places.

Curious where the info originates from? Happy to link all that I've read/watched as well to make sure I'm not off here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
i've only read that maintaining your calorie deficit everyday is what you're supposed to be doing for fat loss

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
You can just do the deficit everyday to make it simpler. Maintenance on workout days and then deficits on rest days is just min maxing and not worth it for a lot of people. It's worth a try if you're reaching plateau and you don't mind the extra work.

Oct 25, 2017
You can just do the deficit everyday to make it simpler. Maintenance on workout days and then deficits on rest days is just min maxing and not worth it for a lot of people. It's worth a try if you're reaching plateau and you don't mind the extra work.

Thanks! Will see if I plateau still later this week and if so I may switch over to this and incorporate another rest day.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read anywhere that I'm supposed to eat exactly to maintenance on the workout days and only at a deficit on my off days.

In fact, I've read that I should be at deficit (at least a small one .. maybe no more than 500) in many places.

Curious where the info originates from? Happy to link all that I've read/watched as well to make sure I'm not off here.

I don't even remember the source to be honest.

Having a deficit everyday would normally just be classed as standard cutting. For people overweight this is effective when a beginner but remember it's also short lived.

If what you are doing is working stick with it and ride it for as long as you can but standard scales won't be the best form of measurement.

Last edited:

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, mostly newbie here jumping in with a kind of similar question. I'm not fat overall but I have a bit of a belly I'd like to get rid of. Nothing anyone would notice with a loose shirt on, but still more than I'd like (really noticed it after I ate a ton of fried foods at a county fair a few weeks ago haha). From what I gather in the OP it seems like the only solution is losing weight overall by cutting calories. My problem: I'm 5'11 and 127 pounds -- by BMI I'm actually considered underweight. So I'm not sure if that's really what I should be doing? I did install LoseIt and started counting calories the last few days keeping myself under 2000, but I don't have a specific weight goal in mind and it seems weird to aim for something lower.

I already do moderate exercise regularly: run 2-3x/week using Couch-5K, and the r/bodyweightfitness routine at home 2/3x week, and I'm going to start adding more ab exercises into that. I have a little bit of tone but I'm not a huge gainer, but that's OK, I don't really care about being totally built. Just want that stubborn bit of belly fat to go away. Any advice?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, mostly newbie here jumping in with a kind of similar question. I'm not fat overall but I have a bit of a belly I'd like to get rid of. Nothing anyone would notice with a loose shirt on, but still more than I'd like (really noticed it after I ate a ton of fried foods at a county fair a few weeks ago haha). From what I gather in the OP it seems like the only solution is losing weight overall by cutting calories. My problem: I'm 5'11 and 127 pounds -- by BMI I'm actually considered underweight. So I'm not sure if that's really what I should be doing? I did install LoseIt and started counting calories the last few days keeping myself under 2000, but I don't have a specific weight goal in mind and it seems weird to aim for something lower.

I already do moderate exercise regularly: run 2-3x/week using Couch-5K, and the r/bodyweightfitness routine at home 2/3x week, and I'm going to start adding more ab exercises into that. I have a little bit of tone but I'm not a huge gainer, but that's OK, I don't really care about being totally built. Just want that stubborn bit of belly fat to go away. Any advice?
At that height and weight I'd be surprised if you really have a belly even without any muscle. That might be a body image problem :/. Or alternatively you could have bad posture or a pelvic tilt that is giving you a belly look.

Anyway you shouldn't be trying to lose weight. Trying gaining a bit of healthy weight and diet after to lose the fat. Would be easier anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I will ever get use to a deload week. Feels like I've done nothing despite the weights being ones that use to push me not so long ago.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with starting new assistance exercises is having to work through another round of soreness. I haven't had sore abs in a long time :P

Oct 25, 2017

Lift weights/strength training/resistance exercises. You sound like me. Where my BMI and everything are okay (though yours is lower) and you just have NO muscle and you are doing cardio and trying to do a calorie deficit.

Eat at maintenance or more and lift some weights... I bet that would help. I'm still kinda new but I feel like that would be a game changer. May want to cut back on cardio as well for lifting weights.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You need to gain and not lose. Eat more and you will start to lose fat.

Trained muscle need fuel. You don't give them enough fuel. They don't grow and don't want to eat more...so you stay like this.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018

The problem most likely won't be from how much you're eating but more of what you're eating. I get a similar issue if i've been eating a lot of sugary / fried foods. Just keep increasing calories but make sure they are nutrient dense and not snack foods and you will gain muscle and lose the fat.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay this time I waited 2 minutes between different excerises and I can not do 3 sets, I hate that I can't do 3 sets but after the second I'm ready to collapse. But 4 times a week is going strong

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you already doing the earlier progressions for those exercises? (e.g. negatives instead of pullups)
I dont think so, the trainer during orientation didnt say anything about negatives, I think that means slowing down? I've been going pretty quick doing a set of 2 excerises and then brief rest before jumping onto the other set. Havent had enough energy to make it past the second set for each. He wanted me to do 3 sets

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think so, the trainer during orientation didnt say anything about negatives, I think that means slowing down? I've been going pretty quick doing a set of 2 excerises and then brief rest before jumping onto the other set. Havent had enough energy to make it past the second set for each. He wanted me to do 3 sets
To do a negative you would jump up to the top position of the pull up and lower yourself as slow as possible. It will work the same muscles as a pull up and will eventually allow you to build up enough strength and hypertrophy to do the sets with regular pull ups.

I don't know what your trainer wants though so it would be best to ask him/her. Not sure why they didn't do any modifications when you started failing.

Deleted member 21411

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To do a negative you would jump up to the top position of the pull up and lower yourself as slow as possible. It will work the same muscles as a pull up and will eventually allow you to build up enough strength and hypertrophy to do the sets with regular pull ups.

I don't know what your trainer wants though so it would be best to ask him/her. Not sure why they didn't do any modifications when you started failing.
It was just an orientation to the gym schedule based on me wanting to tone so I wont be seeing him again. I'm gonna give that a try next time tho thank you