• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use social media other than some irc channels and a couple discord servers but I'm kinda proud of this accomplishment from last week so I wanted to post it somewhere. I set a dumb arbirtrary goal for a distance to walk over a week and managed to pull it off. Then I proceeded to do nothing on Sunday because I was way too exhausted. Still, kinda proud of it
wgIUpyy.png
That's a lot of walking! It wasn't part of any event? Where did you go to keep it interesting?

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of walking! It wasn't part of any event? Where did you go to keep it interesting?
No event or anything. I thought it'd be a nice goal to hit 123.45 miles (ended up going slightly over). The trick was to find new music to listen to on the walks and to just make it part of a practical activity I would do anyways, like instead of driving to the movie theater that's 5 miles away I'd walk. Also for the past 8 months or so I've been doing an 8 mile walk before work. I didn't really have to force it too much, but yeah the big trick was to just find far-ish things I wanted to do. I think I saw like 4 movies that week lol.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Checking the receding part of my head and it seems some hair is growing back. Might be because my scalp doesn't look like the Sahara anymore. So hopefully whatever is happening continues. It's still greying but I can't stop that. Took Sunday and Monday off so back to the gym today

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing Keto for the last 3 months and after dropping 25 lbs I felt like in order to make a real change I was gonna have to start going to the gym regularly.
This thread was a huge help in getting started - although admittedly i'm still really intimidated by the weight room. It's only been 2 weeks now but I can already see small improvements and my motivation is sky high.

So I've been doing cardio every day except Sunday (gym is closed on Sunday) and doing relatively light strength training every other day focusing on different muscle groups each time. I'm trying to get a good foundation built before I really dive into strength training - But my concern is I'm not getting enough protein on Keto to rebuild my muscles. Do you guys recommend lifting while on Keto? While building muscle is enticing - my main goal when starting Keto was to get down to 160lbs (~15lbs to go). My dream is to have a slim and toned body. I'm debating staying on Keto until I hit my weight goal (~1 month) and then moving to a more high protein diet - what do you guys think?
You only fell down ~11 kilos in 3 months doing keto? You could've lost that weight in that time just eating healthy and going to the gym regularly, building up muscle and burning fat. Keto diet is not healthy, it does not encourage a healthy lifestyle.

Checking the receding part of my head and it seems some hair is growing back. Might be because my scalp doesn't look like the Sahara anymore. So hopefully whatever is happening continues. It's still greying but I can't stop that. Took Sunday and Monday off so back to the gym today

Um, what happened? Dont follow any people here.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
could be many factor, age, genetics, health, shampoo/conditioner, etc. but my hair started receding early 30s. but earlier this year my scalp went very dry. possibly sudden climate change. so my hair was falling out. but that seem to have stopped and my scalp looks fine now. and hair is growing in its place. or maybe because i stopped doing cardio and just make every day 1rm day lol. but diet i've made sure to consume veggies in some form.

Nixonomics

Dec 6, 2018
You only fell down ~11 kilos in 3 months doing keto? You could've lost that weight in that time just eating healthy and going to the gym regularly, building up muscle and burning fat. Keto diet is not healthy, it does not encourage a healthy lifestyle.

I appreciate the feedback. I would say dieting alone is usually NOT a great way to make significant lifestyle changes - since the assumption is if you're going ON a diet you're going to be going OFF a diet at some point - at which point you're likely to gain all the weight you lost back if you haven't made permanent changes. I may have taken the longer, less optimal route towards getting healthier - but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction. I am routinely going the gym now - and I feel like a lot of my motivation was kick started by seeing the small progress from Keto. Baby steps, baby steps.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the feedback. I would say dieting alone is usually NOT a great way to make significant lifestyle changes - since the assumption is if you're going ON a diet you're going to be going OFF a diet at some point - at which point you're likely to gain all the weight you lost back if you haven't made permanent changes. I may have taken the longer, less optimal route towards getting healthier - but I'm happy to be moving in the right direction. I am routinely going the gym now - and I feel like a lot of my motivation was kick started by seeing the small progress from Keto. Baby steps, baby steps.
I don't know how much you weigh but 25 lbs in 3 months is a lot for anyone. You are doing fine.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Last couple of days have been obscenely hot, it's killed my mood for exercise and healthy eating. Does anyone else find that when it's hotter you want to eat a lot more?

Also a bit frustrated with my Achilles Tendon in my left ankle, it's giving me some pain after I walk/run for a while and it takes me away from my enjoyment of actually exercising. I've had a quick search on the Googles but given there's a lot of fluff out there I don't know which sources are trustworthy for physio exercises regarding this. Do you guys have any recommendations?

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Last couple of days have been obscenely hot, it's killed my mood for exercise and healthy eating. Does anyone else find that when it's hotter you want to eat a lot more?

Also a bit frustrated with my Achilles Tendon in my left ankle, it's giving me some pain after I walk/run for a while and it takes me away from my enjoyment of actually exercising. I've had a quick search on the Googles but given there's a lot of fluff out there I don't know which sources are trustworthy for physio exercises regarding this. Do you guys have any recommendations?
When I skip gym I eat more because I have nothing else to do on those off hours after work lol

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever i eat a banana it upsets my stomach, but if i bake them in a recipe then i'm totally fine. It's really weird, like the baking is killing some kind of bacteria/nutrient that upsets my stomach, idk.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
So I started lifting again, but it's seemingly causing me to gradually gain weight. For some reason back in June or thereabouts I stopped lifting and just swam 4-5 times a week, around 40 minutes each, clocking about 2 minutes per 100 yards. I'm doing pretty much exactly the same lifting routine I had done over the winter/spring.

Here's what I usually do in order, rearranging and plus or minus a couple things if the machines are full and I can't be bothered to wait.

Bench with dumbbells:
-3 sets of 8-10 standing bicep curls, first with 40, then 32.5 (after the first set, I just literally can't do them with 40 again)
-3 sets of 10-12 wrist curls with 40
-3 sets of 8-10 standing hammer curls with 32.5
-3 sets of 10 chest presses with 40

Leg press machine: (the one you have to put plates on, not the pulley one)
-3 sets of leg presses 15 with 450, (used to do 540 before my break, but can't seem to do that lately)
-3 sets of calf raises with the same

The big four station thing with pulleys of adjustable heights and multiple different attachments:
-3 sets of 10 tricep pulldowns at 62.5-67.5

The pull-up thing with arm rests:
-3 sets of 10 leg raises
-2 sets of alternating leg raises to each side (to get the things on the side of the abs?)

Lat pulldown machine:
-3 sets of 10 lat pulldowns at 130-145

Pectoral fly machine:
-3 sets of 10 forward pectoral fly at 130-150

Leg extension machine:
-3 sets of 10 leg extensions at 210

Lat rowing/pullback machine:
-3 sets of 10 whatever they're called at 130

I'll only ever do 2 days of this per week, as I favor swimming anyway. Does this seem like an adequate variety of stuff to do if I just want to tone up a bit and lose a belly? I tried to pick mostly things that would also directly impact how well I swim.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
So I started lifting again, but it's seemingly causing me to gradually gain weight. For some reason back in June or thereabouts I stopped lifting and just swam 4-5 times a week, around 40 minutes each, clocking about 2 minutes per 100 yards. I'm doing pretty much exactly the same lifting routine I had done over the winter/spring.

Here's what I usually do in order, rearranging and plus or minus a couple things if the machines are full and I can't be bothered to wait.

Bench with dumbbells:
-3 sets of 8-10 standing bicep curls, first with 40, then 32.5 (after the first set, I just literally can't do them with 40 again)

-3 sets of leg presses 15 with 450, (used to do 540 before my break, but can't seem to do that lately)

The big four station thing with pulleys of adjustable heights and multiple different attachments:

-3 sets of 10 leg raises
-2 sets of alternating leg raises to each side (to get the things on the side of the abs?)

Lat pulldown machine:

Pectoral fly machine:

Leg extension machine:

I'll only ever do 2 days of this per week, as I favor swimming anyway. Does this seem like an adequate variety of stuff to do if I just want to tone up a bit and lose a belly? I tried to pick mostly things that would also directly impact how well I swim.
If you want to lose a belly and tone up at the same time, that's going to largely rely on your diet and less on your workout regimen.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh I added the weighted carry to my program and I'm liking it.

I have wrist pain from an undiagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome. It's pretty mild but it's takekkmg forever to heal but it is getting better. Any recommendations on what wrist strap to use so it at least won't affect my lifting? Preferably amazon since I have prime.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh I added the weighted carry to my program and I'm liking it.

I have wrist pain from an undiagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome. It's pretty mild but it's takekkmg forever to heal but it is getting better. Any recommendations on what wrist strap to use so it at least won't affect my lifting? Preferably amazon since I have prime.
Wrist wrap or strap?

I believe Amazon sells SlingShot brand stuff. It's sort of high end for powerlifting gear so it might be more than you are looking for.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Wrist wrap or strap?

I believe Amazon sells SlingShot brand stuff. It's sort of high end for powerlifting gear so it might be more than you are looking for.
More like to stabilize my wrist when doing lifts. I don't have much pain when I'm lifting but I can tell when I'm getting out of alignment even if it's just slight. Really noticeable when I'm doing bench press, overhead press and dips.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
could be many factor, age, genetics, health, shampoo/conditioner, etc. but my hair started receding early 30s. but earlier this year my scalp went very dry. possibly sudden climate change. so my hair was falling out. but that seem to have stopped and my scalp looks fine now. and hair is growing in its place. or maybe because i stopped doing cardio and just make every day 1rm day lol. but diet i've made sure to consume veggies in some form.
Could just be stress too. It's not unheard of for hair to fall out during stressful times.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

Bench with dumbbells:

-3 sets of 10 leg raises

Lat pulldown machine:

Pectoral fly machine:

Leg extension machine:

How is your diet? Sometimes when people start or add a new physical activity to thier routine, they get hungrier and then overeat a bit more to compensate for the new physical activity.

The only way to find out is to keep track of it then manipulating the calories to see how your body responds.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
More like to stabilize my wrist when doing lifts. I don't have much pain when I'm lifting but I can tell when I'm getting out of alignment even if it's just slight. Really noticeable when I'm doing bench press, overhead press and dips.
You want wrist *wraps* then. The SlingShot brand I mentioned earlier makes them.

I might be medically cleared to resume squatting and deadlifting next week. I'm optimistic.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
You want wrist *wraps* then. The SlingShot brand I mentioned earlier makes them.

I might be medically cleared to resume squatting and deadlifting next week. I'm optimistic.
Thanks. Hope you are able to do squats and dL soon. I hate it when I have to skip them when my right knee is flaring up. They are my favorite part of my routine.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Anyone got any good workouts for training grip strength & forearm strength? Easily the weakest part of my deadlift right now.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any good workouts for training grip strength & forearm strength? Easily the weakest part of my deadlift right now.
From what I was reading, weighted carry/farmer's walk. Supposed to be a great conditioning exercise too and should boost your deadflift. Recently added it to my program so we'll see in a couple of weeks.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Depends.

Do you have a reason to train grip besides for holding your deadlift? If not, deadlifting more (with pauses) or changing the way you grip would be best.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not requesting help, but I guess I just need to vent. In the past years I've gained a "beer belly" which is bothering me to the brink where I consciously tighten my belly when I'm out and about walking to hide it. Low self-esteem too, which makes it hard for me to sign up at my local gym cause I feel like everybody's looking at me cause I'm ugly. That said, I've had memberships before and actually had a pleasant experience there with a coach and all. Nobody were rude to me, people were minding their own, and worst case was an and old lady who shook her head at me cause I used their equipment wrongly but she corrected me, and it was actually funny in hindsight.

I'm thinking of getting back into it, but to make a lifestyle change for myself. I want this for myself, not for anyone else. To do it for a healthier body, better stamina and a flat belly, and then I can eventually work on my muscles, toning and mass. My blood pressure have started to be a little too high, I have very low stamina and quickly loses my breath. I've been told I'm a little overweight by my doctor. I've also been told a big part of getting rid of said beer belly - which would be my first goal, before starting on gaining abs, muscles and mass - is to cardio and diet.

My diet has consisted of beer and soda for the last years but I've gotten rid of those recently so that's a start. Now my diet consist of cooked rice and chicken breast and the occasional frozen pizza, and this ain't healthy. I don't know what to replace the rye bread with, other than fruits and vegetables.

I can't sign up for a gym-membership, let alone a coach, until around November of this year. I have strength training shoes (brand new condition), a food scale and a drinking bottle (just need protein powder) already, so that's a start. And I don't really know what I'm trying to say or want from participating in the thread. I guess I just needed it all out there to reflect, and actually start minding my diet. I'll read post #2 of the OP first thing in the morning.

Calories
How do I calculate all then?
There are numerous complicated calculations out there, but really no one needs to manually calculate anything when there are sites that calculates everything for you:

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Input height, weight, age, gender, and (optional, but helpful) bodyfat percentage (BF%) and/or waist. The calculator will give you both the BMR, TDEE, as well as an estimation of your muscle/fat mass.
Btw, this website does not seem to work anymore? It seems to redirect to all kinds of other websites. Or is this (noom) the calculator? I tried it out but it ends up asking for my email for the results so I noped out.

Last edited:

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't care to notice everyone else at the gym to judge you.

We all know you're there to improve yourself and we all started somewhere.

The thing that helped me a lot was to stop comparing myself to the other gym goers and only compare myself to when I started.

I also go to 24 hour fitness so at the beginning I went very late at night or very early morning. I still do that when I want to take my time and try out a new exercise so I can practice on my form without hogging the equipment during busy times.

Getting rid of soda and beer is the first step. You don't necessarily have to get rid of beer completely so long as you are good with your diet 80% percent of the time. Letting yourself have some indulgence here and there is good for you psychologically.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
This girl was doing power snatches with about 25lbs or regular plates total on the bar and then crashing the weight from the top on to the deadlift platform. I think she might be looking for a different kind of gym.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
are those bumper plate? it should be fine. anything else. yikes.

Nope, not bumpers. I had no idea what she was thinking. It made quite a crash.

And mind you the gym actually has a set of bumper plates, including 10s, for people doing deadlifts, and she didn't even bother using them. Also it's just a small platform attached to the front of a power rack. Really for just deadlifting because bouncing a weighted bar off it could result in some bad news.

Last edited:

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm currently on a mission to get bigger legs. My current programm consists out of sitting and horizontal leg curl, leg extensions, squatting, two leg press machines.

I've been doing these for about two months now. All in set 4x12 . And my legs have gotten firmer, stronger. But I want more mass.

Should I do 4x25 now? I really love leg day, so I'm motivated to try new stuff.

Maybe I should eat more...

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently on a mission to get bigger legs. My current programm consists out of sitting and horizontal leg curl, leg extensions, squatting, two leg press machines.

I've been doing these for about two months now. All in set 4x12 . And my legs have gotten firmer, stronger. But I want more mass.

For mass you are focusing on hypertrophy so you don't want to be increasing your rep range it's more important to get your weight selection correct and continue to progress.

Also if you have only just started it's a slow process, you aren't going to get Obi Vincent legs after a few months.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eat more , it going to take awhile

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, thanks. I think it's better to add more weight than do more reps. And eat more.

I'm 1,77m (5.8ft) tall and weigh 83kg (182lbs). My bodyfat is 15%

I've always been active in my life. (Sports, workout.) I just want more mass in my lower body and maybe go to 13% fat. That's my goal.

Oct 25, 2017

Bench with dumbbells:

-3 sets of 10 leg raises

Lat pulldown machine:

Pectoral fly machine:

Leg extension machine:

Diet is the biggest thing. Swimming is cardio - it burns way more calories than strength/resistance training in the end of the day. And Swimming works most of the body beyond just a running or biking cardio thing.

That's also an insane workout. How long are you doing this for? 1.5 hrs? I'm always so gassed after about 5 different exercises and that takes me about 30-35 mins. Granted you only do it twice a week.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question to everone, when you breathe out or exhale fully, does your stomach stay firm and thin or does it fill up?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
No more strength work left for this week. Unable to squat and deadlift still so only did strength work for bench and ohp. Diet starts next week so probably done with gains for the next 3 months.

OHP [email protected]; I was at aiming for 2 and have missed it the last few weeks so I will deload next week.

Bench press 2@255; moved pretty poorly so I'll need to deload in a few weeks.

Question to everone, when you breathe out or exhale fully, does your stomach stay firm and thin or does it fill up?
Why would your stomach fill up when you exhale?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Diet is the biggest thing. Swimming is cardio - it burns way more calories than strength/resistance training in the end of the day. And Swimming works most of the body beyond just a running or biking cardio thing.

That's also an insane workout. How long are you doing this for? 1.5 hrs? I'm always so gassed after about 5 different exercises and that takes me about 30-35 mins. Granted you only do it twice a week.
I usually spend about 45-50 minutes. I might have to drop one or two of the exercises if I am closer to 45. Not sure how accurate the Fitbit is, but it claims I usually burn around 300 calories. I probably don't have the best form, which might help speed things up.

My diet hasn't substantially changed in the last year and a half, the first five months of which saw a loss of 20 pounds. I do cheat a little bit from time to time, but on average I'm confident that I'm not running a surplus. I also started walking a lot more in the last few weeks thanks to Pokemon Go.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually spend about 45-50 minutes. I might have to drop one or two of the exercises if I am closer to 45. Not sure how accurate the Fitbit is, but it claims I usually burn around 300 calories. I probably don't have the best form, which might help speed things up.

My diet hasn't substantially changed in the last year and a half, the first five months of which saw a loss of 20 pounds. I do cheat a little bit from time to time, but on average I'm confident that I'm not running a surplus. I also started walking a lot more in the last few weeks thanks to Pokemon Go.
Just note you could also be building muscle. Probably not as fast as losing fat. But still just a note.

I know you dont hardcore track your calories but undercompensating your intake happens to EVERYONE

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Happy Friday #fitfam!

Anyone else get poked at or made fun of for being so health conscious? Especially at work, my colleagues know I will never touch bagels, cookies, sweets, etc so they always make fun of my lifestyle. I kinda find it amusing and not take it too seriously. They just don't know how hard it is to be disciplined and put health over instant gratification. Most are pretty out of shape, in a way they are probably trying to normalize / justify their own choices.

In any case, fitness is progressing well... not getting any stronger but definitely more toned and tad bit of size here n there which is what I want. Down to a size 29 waist so happy about that.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Friday #fitfam!

Anyone else get poked at or made fun of for being so health conscious? Especially at work, my colleagues know I will never touch bagels, cookies, sweets, etc so they always make fun of my lifestyle. I kinda find it amusing and not take it too seriously. They just don't know how hard it is to be disciplined and put health over instant gratification. Most are pretty out of shape, in a way they are probably trying to normalize / justify their own choices.

In any case, fitness is progressing well... not getting any stronger but definitely more toned and tad bit of size here n there which is what I want. Down to a size 29 waist so happy about that.
I get comments about my lunches all the time. I'll often have carrots and broccoli along with whatever my protein serve is for that day (chicken, tuna or leftover red meat from the night before), so my lunch looks quite spartan. People will say things like "that looks too healthy".

They also express shock whenever they catch me eating a cookie or a donut.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I get comments about my lunches all the time. I'll often have carrots and broccoli along with whatever my protein serve is for that day (chicken, tuna or leftover red meat from the night before), so my lunch looks quite spartan. People will say things like "that looks too healthy".

They also express shock whenever they catch me eating a cookie or a donut.
Food culture is definitely a problem at my work as well.

Yeah it is nonsense. People should be happy for others that they want to be healthy. It's like health shaming which is so moronic lol. In anycase, more fuel for the fire right? :)

Updated progress pic as of last night, been trying to make my back stronger (weak spot for me).