• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So... I got my new DEXA scan results in today.

See below for the report. Pretty happy with the results. I'm currently at 21.4% body fat.

My last scan was on 8/4. Since then I've lost 3.6% body fat. I've lost a total of 6.5lbs of fat and gained 2.4lbs of muscle. I also lowered my visceral fat to some really low levels.

Oddly enough, I gained muscle everywhere but my legs despite doing two leg days a week and kinda going ham. I guess I'll try to figure that out this month. They said it may have been fluid or something I dunno.

I'm currently eating at around a 600 calorie deficit and they were worried that my lean muscle gains will slow down and I'll start eating into them so I'm gonna raise my calorie intake by 200 calories this month and incorporate some carbs to do it (ie: 2 pieces of bread + peanut butter a day).

e1XHWtk.png

m7adO4Q.png

5NHwOX0.png

lUTEQPf.png

an2ZjZ4.png

p7AlcBZ.png

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

See below for the report. Pretty happy with the results. I'm currently at 21.4% body fat.

My last scan was on 8/4. Since then I've lost 3.6% body fat. I've lost a total of 6.5lbs of fat and gained 2.4lbs of muscle. I also lowered my visceral fat to some really low levels.

Oddly enough, I gained muscle everywhere but my legs despite doing two leg days a week and kinda going ham. I guess I'll try to figure that out this month. They said it may have been fluid or something I dunno.

I'm currently eating at around a 600 calorie deficit and they were worried that my lean muscle gains will slow down and I'll start eating into them so I'm gonna raise my calorie intake by 200 calories this month and incorporate some carbs to do it (ie: 2 pieces of bread + peanut butter a day).
Congratulations, nice scan. Water does show up as lean mass of DXA. I try to make sure I get my scans at the same time of day (morning before drinking anything) so the results are easier to compare. I'd give that a shot on your next scan.

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, nice scan. Water does show up as lean mass of DXA. I try to make sure I get my scans at the same time of day (morning before drinking anything) so the results are easier to compare. I'd give that a shot on your next scan.
Good to know. Didn't really drink anything and got it in the morning. Last time I did drink a bit of water before going so I'll make sure to not drink anything again like this time around.

And thanks! Looking forward to awarding myself each day now with two pieces of bread and PB or some brown rice to make up some calories :)

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
When you guys want to exercise, do you guys eat breakfast/lunch/dinner before or after? I heard that after eating you're supposed to not exercise up to 2 hours later so that the food can properly settle in your stomach.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
When you guys want to exercise, do you guys eat breakfast/lunch/dinner before or after? I heard that after eating you're supposed to not exercise up to 2 hours later so that the food can properly settle in your stomach.
I usually fast before my workout. I'm at the gym at 6am so it's easy to do. But I drink my BCAAs 30-40 minutes beforehand, drink my protein directly after my workout, and then eat within 2 hours after my workout. It's been workin great for me, especially during my Cut.
Plus, I have a very sensitive stomach so it's tough to eat a meal with sufficient nutritional value right before my workout. I've tried and it just wants to come back up during my workout lol that's also the main reason I don't drink protein during my workout too.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
I usually fast before my workout. I'm at the gym at 6am so it's easy to do. But I drink my BCAAs 30-40 minutes beforehand, drink my protein directly after my workout, and then eat within 2 hours after my workout. It's been workin great for me, especially during my Cut.
Plus, I have a very sensitive stomach so it's tough to eat a meal with sufficient nutritional value right before my workout. I've tried and it just wants to come back up during my workout lol that's also the main reason I don't drink protein during my workout too.
holy hell you're at the gym at 6am?? That's the earliest gym i've ever seen wtf

and just curious but what time do you work?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The gyms around here used to be open 24/7, but that changed when the one company bought up the other some years ago. Mine's open at 5 in the morning, closes at 11 at night.

I've been really sore in my arms and chest since Sunday, but I guess it's expected since it was my first time. I think I'll rest and go again tomorrow.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
holy hell you're at the gym at 6am?? That's the earliest gym i've ever seen wtf

and just curious but what time do you work?
Yeah that's when my gym opens. I work at 830 so I'm usually rushing a meal in after my workout lol if I don't work that day, I have class at 930 and since my gym is on campus I go eat at the cafeteria and go to class right after. Literally walking to the cafeteria after my workout as we speak!

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter. Some people can get sick if they eat and then work out immediately after. Some don't. I go right after lunch.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When I first started out I just ate whenever, sometimes during a workout between sets if it had been a super busy day.

Now I eat two hours before and immediately after. I workout in the evening so usually 3pm then 7pm-ish.

When I was doing very early morning runs I'd just have a gel or some fruit.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Been gradually getting onto the Fitness train, with being able to clock in 100 press ups in 4 sets...or at least I would be if I hadn't realised I've been doing my form wrong this whole time. Just tried to do a couple of sets with the proper form and man I was exhausted after just 25 total! Very disappointed in myself as I thought I was on the right track and it'll take me a while to adjust but guess I just gotta press on.

Need to get onto that protein action as well, but preferably after a workout rather than before :)

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of switching to free weights in a month, my problem with body weight is a dumb one but theres always someone in the space I need and that gives me alot of anxiety.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Squats feeling good. Hoping that I am good for 315-335lb Front Squat by the end of the year. Deads have been kind of bleh. Hitting 405 for a top single with 3 different variations is a little depressing. 385 x 5 was a little short of expectations. 2.5 weeks til I attempt something really heavy again. Hoping for multiple reps with 415 once this fatique starts to taper off.

It really depends, something to try out. I can't eat a heavy or even a moderate meal before Squats or Deads because there is a 100% chance of vomit. Only light snacks and caffeine. For upperbody stuff I prefer to eat a moderate meal because it makes the pump better and I don't get nauseous even on harder upperbody workouts.

Oct 25, 2017
I skip breakfast every morning and eat lunch which is usually just a greek yogurt and a protein shake.

I work out after work so about 4-5 hours later then protein shake after the workout.

I eat dinner and some stuff after dinner to get myself to calories + macros for the day. I actually drink Casein protein shakes as opposed to whey ones.. I know whey is faster absorbing which is why I drink one during lunch a few hours prior to working out.

BTW - I had my first two pieces of bread in 2 months yesterday. IT WAS SO GOOD. I had it with some peanut butter to help up my daily calories this month after my results came back in. Now I'm only at about a 400-500 calorie deficit as opposed to a 600.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't feeling it this morning during deadlifts and fell significantly short of my last PR during the big set. Started getting wobbly, which is always concerning so I decided I wouldn't go for those last four reps.

OHP is still stalled at ~42kg too.

Oct 25, 2017
I have double jointed arms so I think that is what you mean? And so my arms just look like they are broken at the elbow (both of them)

While I was young, I could raise my hand in class without holding onto my elbow with my other hand because if I just let it lax while holding up, I would freak the people out behind me.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So in an attempt to fix my chronic shoulder issues I've been doing 4 sets of face pulls lying down supersetted with band pull-aparts 5 times a week. I'm only a month or so in but my shoulder pain is much better and my traps / shoulders / upper back are looking waaaay bigger.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Went to the gym today again, and I did 15km on the bike + leg training. I feel so good, and is super amazed at myself without sounding selfish, I'm just so happy about my effort. Since it's only my second time at the gym it's mostly about getting comfortable with the environment for me, and I'm feeling good about it. I'm slowly introduced to everything as I am speaking with all the coaches there. And got an appointment with the personal trainer I like on Monday so we can make a plan for losing my little belly. I'm so excited I can't help it.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Strength training done for this week. I've lost 4-5lbs on my cut so far. I increased my calories because I'm losing weight a little too fast and since I'm still doing some injury rehab I don't want to lose too much mass.

OHP: 2x160. Probably my cut is hitting ohp the hardest so far.
Bench: 2x257.5. Should have racked after the first rep. The second rep was so slow that it drained me for the rest of my workout.
Deadlift: 20x115. Still in rehab for injury so taking it light.
Squat: 1x275 paused. I was supposed to do 95lb because of rehab but I was feeling good so I let my ego take over. Next week I'll keep to my prescribed sets.

Been using my wrist straps a lot more and my wrist pain has subsided. Keeps my form in check
Wrist *wraps*? Which ones did you end up buying? Thinking about getting a pair now that my bench volume has increased. Wrists are feeling cranky.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna try and get visible abs guys, I know they're made in the kitchen. So can anyone guide me towards some information about how to eat cleaner, what to cut, counting and whatnot?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try and get visible abs guys, I know they're made in the kitchen. So can anyone guide me towards some information about how to eat cleaner, what to cut, counting and whatnot?

Make sure your hitting your protein goals. Vegetables are good for making you full, carb/fat content is up to you and your preferences, just make sure you stay on a caloric deficit.

Avoid trans fats, limit saturated fats, look for foods high in fiber.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Powerlifters, how do you deal with back pain? It keeps me from squatting and I gotta power through deadlifts. I can't even deadlift for reps because the movement alone is what hurts me. It's extremely discouraging. Last month I didn't deadlift for two weeks and my back felt great.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Powerlifters, how do you deal with back pain? It keeps me from squatting and I gotta power through deadlifts. I can't even deadlift for reps because the movement alone is what hurts me. It's extremely discouraging. Last month I didn't deadlift for two weeks and my back felt great.

Do you do core work? Your back may be taking on too much of the strain, and it may be time to take up some core and ab strengthening exercises. And yoga is great.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Do you do core work? Your back may be taking on too much of the strain, and it may be time to take up some core and ab strengthening exercises. And yoga is great.

I've been neglecting my back for the last few months due to time constraints. I've received the same advice before but have never given it a shot.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Great job keep it up!!

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of back pain? I have a bad back and due to a recent injury just took 2 months off and started deadlifting and squatting again this week.

It sounds like you are pain free except when you deadlift. If that's the case and you aren't an intermediate+ lifter I would expect it is a technique issue.

If deadlifting is causing you pain and you *don't* have a technique issue you probably shouldn't be doing it. It really depends on what is wrong with your back and whether you have already sought medical opinions/tests.

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got wrist pain for three days now, how long until this heals? Any exercises not involving wrists I can do in the meantime?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of back pain? I have a bad back and due to a recent injury just took 2 months off and started deadlifting and squatting again this week.

It sounds like you are pain free except when you deadlift. If that's the case and you aren't an intermediate+ lifter I would expect it is a technique issue.

If deadlifting is causing you pain and you *don't* have a technique issue you probably shouldn't be doing it. It really depends on what is wrong with your back and whether you have already sought medical opinions/tests.

I hurt my back a couple of years ago because I did some dumb shit squatting. Then I injured it again about a year after that. I'm basically in some kind of discomfort every day of my life since then but it doesn't actually hurt until after I deadlift or squat.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017

If an exercise is causing you pain, you should stop doing the exercise. You will only make things worse. Which part of your back hurts? Lower back, upper back? I once sprained my lower back deadlifting and ever since I've made it a point to strengthen my lower back by using kettlebell swings, reverse hyper, and/or hyperextensions.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I've been working pretty hard at the gym for the past year with cardio and full body weights. But I just don't have the discipline to diet. I love food too much. And certain types of really bad food that I just don't have the willpower to stay away from.

The result has been a weird muscular dad bod. I feel strong and energetic. But the jiggle in the belly is definitely still there.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I hurt my back a couple of years ago because I did some dumb shit squatting. Then I injured it again about a year after that. I'm basically in some kind of discomfort every day of my life since then but it doesn't actually hurt until after I deadlift or squat.
Did you get diagnosed by a medical professional? There are basically three types of low back injuries and rehab can be different between them. For example, a poster above recommended kettlebell swings, but if you have a disc issue then that would damage your back instead of help. If you haven't been diagnosed then you can see a sports doctor (do not see a regular doctor) and they can give you a diagnosis and recommend a physical therapist. In the meantime while you wait you can do the McGill Big 3 exercises which are pretty safe for most injuries. Just skip any that increase symptoms.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017
Did you get diagnosed by a medical professional? There are basically three types of low back injuries and rehab can be different between them. For example, a poster above recommended kettlebell swings, but if you have a disc issue then that would damage your back instead of help. If you haven't been diagnosed then you can see a sports doctor (do not see a regular doctor) and they can give you a diagnosis and recommend a physical therapist. In the meantime while you wait you can do the McGill Big 3 exercises which are pretty safe for most injuries. Just skip any that increase symptoms.

To be clear, I did not recommend using kettlebell swings to alleviate his back pain, I merely listed exercises I have done to strengthen my lower back. Your advice to get checked out by a sports doctor is sound and he should definitely get it checked out.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for this. I'll definitely give these a try. And yeah I went to a regular doctor a little while ago hoping to get a referral for a chiropractor and the guy just told me to buy a heating pad and take ibuprofen. That was dumb.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this. I'll definitely give these a try. And yeah I went to a regular doctor a little while ago hoping to get a referral for a chiropractor and the guy just told me to buy a heating pad and take ibuprofen. That was dumb.

It could have been a normal, acute sports-related strain. It's clearly gone past the acute phase.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working pretty hard at the gym for the past year with cardio and full body weights. But I just don't have the discipline to diet. I love food too much. And certain types of really bad food that I just don't have the willpower to stay away from.

The result has been a weird muscular dad bod. I feel strong and energetic. But the jiggle in the belly is definitely still there.
Diet is always the most difficult. It was for me as well. I looked at the alternative goals of dieting such as saving on money to help motivate me.

I am now a little over 2 months into a very strict diet and havent faded or thought about temptations. Hell, I went to an AYCE KBBQ place with friends and ate ala carte with 1 plate of chicken/tofu soup. Try to do it for a week and you'll find it isn't too tough. I'm more strict on myself than many others though. I'll start incorporating cheat days/meals eventually but I'm aiming for some results first.

Other ways I motivate myself are via MyFitnessPal with friends and logging everything like a game. My Apple watch which has challenges and I am friends with others so I can see how they are doing as well. I also go to the pool each weekend. As weird as it sounds, seeing other guys with good physiques inspires me to continue.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't look at it as dieting. There are some pretty interesting studies on why some find it easy to stay slim and other easy to gain weight. One thing that appears to be common across many are deeply ingrained habits related to food.

A hypothesis that has been around for a while but yet to be sufficiently tested that I see a lot of value in is that it's unhealthy habits from childhood that have been ingrained to why the raise of obesity skyrocketed. It's also suggested why many fail to maintain a healthy weight post dieting and hitting their goals because they don't address these habits and society has focused on foods available rather than parenting culture, which primarily appeared when boomers started having children and then these methods were passed down.

Might be worthwhile analysing the way you consume food and see if there are any specific habits which are making it hard for you, rather than what you are eating.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. I'm not going to let this wrist stop me from fitness. My gym closed for months, I persevered. I went abroad, I managed to keep my figure. I'll fitness around my wrist and focus on my neglected bits. Fitness is a lifestyle, not a goal thing.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Alright. I'm not going to let this wrist stop me from fitness. My gym closed for months, I persevered. I went abroad, I managed to keep my figure. I'll fitness around my wrist and focus on my neglected bits. Fitness is a lifestyle, not a goal thing.
If your wrist still hurts after a week then go see a specialist. You can get some wrist protection to lift in the meantime.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If your wrist still hurts after a week then go see a specialist. You can get some wrist protection to lift in the meantime.
I think it's getting better? When I twist it before the pain was sharp, not so much now. But yeah, I'll see a specialist, better safe than sorry.

I think I can drop the curls, deadlifts, and chin-ups, but squats and pull-ups aren't painful.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Goodness me a personal trainer is expensive. €300 for 4 sessions, guess I just have to pay up. As it would be really nice to have somebody monitoring me, while I go through his program. Still a little bit of a shock.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Personal trainers are pricey. My company offers a fitness reimbursement subsidy so I can get some cost refunded but I still don't use one. Rather use the subsidy toward scans and gym memberships etc if needed.