• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to see the point in the scans to be honest. Sure, it's nice to know you're progressing, but in reality it shouldn't be changing anything you do.
Gives me a relative number to better. Similar to how weight is for others. Dexa scans go beyond just body fat % as it measures visceral fat volume as well which is something that is tied to disease etc. On top of that it does provide a lean muscle mass number for volume beyond just fat as noted above. Each category is broken up by area on your body... arms, Android, gynoid, legs, etc.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
But what does that actually do though? I mean... it's literally just a number.

It is just for self confidence that you're heading in the right direction or something?

Oct 25, 2017
But what does that actually do though? I mean... it's literally just a number.

It is just for self confidence that you're heading in the right direction or something?
Motivation. I get very easily motivated by change and numbers. My weight plateaued months ago. I'm now in that phase where I'm burning fat and still gaining muscle so it's kinda balancing things off. Most of the fat is around my belly as it's kinda the last to go on most. It's kinda hard to judge if I'm actually getting that area better until I see my abs so it's motivating me when i see that drop.

Visceral Fat numbers are more than numbers. Shows I'm killing the fat that surrounds my organs that I can't see as well. Also the numbers are ensuring I'm not having any imbalances. Especially on legs/arms. Had some pretty bad imbalances when I started off on my legs. About 2-2.5 lbs. Ive now corrected that over the last few months

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for some help.

I've always been thin like 5'8 120 but about a year and a half ago started taking lifting seriously. I couldn't bench 100lb my brother just came down last week and I finally broke 200 at 205.

But I really feel like I'm stuck. I got up to 170 but I honestly look the same ha. I wanted to grow my biceps legs and chest but really don't see it despite my weight gains. Except specifically in my shoulders ha they got huge for some reason.

Also my workouts arent feeling great I'm still a bit sore but I haven't sweated in a long time. I work out solo with all the equipment in my house.

My diet is protein heavy but maybe not enough I'm trying to eat at least 130g of protein a day.

Should I do less weight but faster to sweat? Is there a program I need to get on?(currently I do 5 days about 1-2hrs depending on the day) Is there a good workout to put on like shape not necessarily strength?

I'm super motivated and loooove working out now I'm just not sure what I'm missing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for some help.

I've always been thin like 5'8 120 but about a year and a half ago started taking lifting seriously. I couldn't bench 100lb my brother just came down last week and I finally broke 200 at 205.

But I really feel like I'm stuck. I got up to 170 but I honestly look the same ha. I wanted to grow my biceps legs and chest but really don't see it despite my weight gains. Except specifically in my shoulders ha they got huge for some reason.

Also my workouts arent feeling great I'm still a bit sore but I haven't sweated in a long time. I work out solo with all the equipment in my house.

My diet is protein heavy but maybe not enough I'm trying to eat at least 130g of protein a day.

Should I do less weight but faster to sweat? Is there a program I need to get on?(currently I do 5 days about 1-2hrs depending on the day) Is there a good workout to put on like shape not necessarily strength?

I'm super motivated and loooove working out now I'm just not sure what I'm missing.

If you want your bench to go up then a power lifting program will help you do that, if you want to maximize size then a body building program will help you do that.

Pick a goal.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
After going to Paris for 4 weeks and not weight training but instead walking a lot (15-20 kms a day, 80 stairs a day on average) and doing some body weight workouts by the docks I managed to drop 10 pounds to 203.

Surprisingly I'm already back to how much I was lifting prior to my break and even changed from a neutral pull up grip to an open palm one (palms forward) in the squat rack (only place with this kind of grip) and do (among my rather long « circuit ») 2 sets of 5 just fine.

I'm actually rather pleased with the results but I'll be changing coach in February to focus on a high intensity, high endurance program in order to get a bit leaner.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
After going to Paris for 4 weeks and not weight training but instead walking a lot (15-20 kms a day, 80 stairs a day on average) and doing some body weight workouts by the docks I managed to drop 10 pounds to 203.

Surprisingly I'm already back to how much I was lifting prior to my break and even changed from a neutral pull up grip to an open palm one (palms forward) in the squat rack (only place with this kind of grip) and do (among my rather long « circuit ») 2 sets of 5 just fine.

I'm actually rather pleased with the results but I'll be changing coach in February to focus on a high intensity, high endurance program in order to get a bit leaner.

If i went to paris for 1 week i'd probably gain 10 lbs lol

Good job staying on diet!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Visceral Fat numbers are more than numbers. Shows I'm killing the fat that surrounds my organs that I can't see as well. Also the numbers are ensuring I'm not having any imbalances. Especially on legs/arms. Had some pretty bad imbalances when I started off on my legs. About 2-2.5 lbs. Ive now corrected that over the last few months
My point is more, what would you be doing differently if the number was one way or another? Would you be focussing less on muscle so that you could lose visceral fat? Or would you just be more concerned, yet still generally carry on doing what you're doing?

I mean, you could literally train your whole life and never know (I have)... so I'm just wondering if knowing has any meaningful impact.

For instance, I'm about to get a full suite of blood tests done, but this will be specifically so that I can change certain things about my training going forward (and possibly end up on some medications due to testosterone / bone density).

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
If you want your bench to go up then a power lifting program will help you do that, if you want to maximize size then a body building program will help you do that.

Pick a goal.

Well I've been on a normal body building program (I'm pretty sure). So I wasn't sure if someone had a better 5 day recommendation if I should shrink it, eating to little protein, someone has really good exercises for growth, or if I'm doing something wrong ha. I like my current strength/weight I just want something to show for it.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
Following up on the Inbody vs DEXA. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's the only choice we have now through our work contest so I was finding out if I'm wasting my time. The problem is I can't compare my results over the years because my company keeps switching methods it's quite annoying.

Anyway I'll see what it says. I honestly just like the Navy calculator the best since it can be used over time and although a few percentage points off I'd think the trend is what's important.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
My point is more, what would you be doing differently if the number was one way or another? Would you be focussing less on muscle so that you could lose visceral fat? Or would you just be more concerned, yet still generally carry on doing what you're doing?

I mean, you could literally train your whole life and never know (I have)... so I'm just wondering if knowing has any meaningful impact.

For instance, I'm about to get a full suite of blood tests done, but this will be specifically so that I can change certain things about my training going forward (and possibly end up on some medications due to testosterone / bone density).
I made a post about this earlier in this thread but I am too lazy to look for it so I will summarize:

- Body fat percentage is like you said. Mostly a useless number but nice for tracking progress. Similar to weighing yourself. You can adjust your diet depending on the results. Useful for higher level athletes where diet is more specific. Also for higher level athletes who are cutting into a lower weight class, you can see how much wiggle room you have. Doesn't matter that much for most people in this thread.

- visceral fat levels are important because they can lead to heart issues. I would probably only look at this during a bulk to make sure I'm not bulking too dirty. I've never had an issues with mine so not much thought there.

- muscle imbalances are probably the number 1 thing for me. It's a big injury vector and I don't do a lot of single limb lifts so sometimes it can be hard to tell before it is too late.

That's just what I get out of it. I'm sure other people look at other shit in that report.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. I've really adjusted my form as my imbalances exposes them. For visceral fat and hard to lose bits of body fat, I've started doing HIIT and I'm starting to see a difference. Thought i wouldn't I have to for at least a few months but the numbers really helped me understand that a bit more.

Speaking of DEXA scans... got another one today! Lost only .9% body fat since 11/2. Im at 15.2% body fat. I blame my 1 week cruise where I didn't count anything and drank like a sailor. Still happy I didn't plateau.

I was at 25% on August 8th. Lost 9.8% in 4 months.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I can pull up your posts in this thread where you literally ask questions where you asked some incredibly basic questions so that is what I assumed it on. Apologies if you took offense to that and apologies for assuming.

But I will reiterate, we get it... you hate DEXA scans. lol

Nothing in those posts says I hate DEXA scans. I do believe DEXA scans are the most accurate and no I do not think you will get 10% error on a dexa scan, I am just saying it is possible. I have literally read on reddit the scientific studies on dexa before but I cannot yet find that post again. And I have read individual accounts that their scan results changed between different DEXA scan methods by large amounts. One guy said he had 8% under one scan method and 13% under another. And to put something into perspective here, just to explain my POV a little bit. If the test results say you have 5% less bodyfat than you actually do, using the same scan and methods it should result in that same error consistently. So no, I do not think you it would be obvious if the tests are accurate or not. A broken scale can still going to provide consistent results yet still be inaccurate. This is why impedance testing can be a trap, but at least somewhat useful for creating a baseline if the user is super careful to test under the same conditions each time.

In the past I wanted to know why people here bought DEXA scans and what they did with the information to improve their habits and protocols. Literally what this other guy is doing in the thread right now. Is he a noob too for asking questions about your practices and motivations? I think these are legitimate questions and stoke healthy conversations about the topic.

And with my post about my macros- just because I happened to be at that moment a bit vulnerable talking about my bodyfat calculations and such (in short, obsessing a little bit about my macros even though I knew my macros were fine), does not mean I am new to fitness. At the time I was forming a several week long plan to transition to a higher caloric level (where I am at now) so I wanted to be precise with my proteins and fat macros. When you said I was new to fitness and did not know what I was talking about, that was some silly ad hominem argument, when you should have been responding to the content of my posts.

I do not appreciate being told to shut up. I find this stuff fascinating and I want to be able to discuss it without drama. I am not trying to undermine your results with dexa scans. If you believe your results are accurate, I am not saying your results are not accurate and I am not trying to convince you to not take DEXA scans. It is your money, your choice etc.., if you find the value, that is all you. Do you, is what I say. And I mean that positively. We all make choices based on what we think is going to do us best.

Again, I do not hate DEXA, I just do not think it is worth it for the information it provides. For example, 150 dollars (the price of the closest scan location I am aware of) I can get a quality glucose/ketone monitor and enough strips to last an entire year of testing like every other day or two. I could hone in my circadian rhythm, figure the best timing to exercise, determine how my body reacts to certain foods like eating excessive fibers (some people break down fibers into simple sugars, some do not), the impact of eating excessive protein on my glucose and ketones... so much info.

Also, and this is a minor point, I did not say DEXA scans always cost 100-200, I said they can cost that much. I am not sure why you belabored that statement I never actually made.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Cheers all. I guess it probably wouldn't change anything for me (I'm getting one anyway because of potentially having bone issues)... but then my training regime is VERY different to most of yours. :)

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers all. I guess it probably wouldn't change anything for me (I'm getting one anyway because of potentially having bone issues)... but then my training regime is VERY different to most of yours. :)
« Do whatever works for you » has always been my stance (provided what you do won't injure people around you, destroy equipment or injure you, in that order) and I mind my own business in the gym :p

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
About to head out to my gym / garage to squat and deadlift for the first time since shattering my hip socket. Pretty much just the bar to start... this will be interesting, and possibly massively depressing.

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
What up y'all, been running nSuns 4 day since the end of september and my training maxes are starting to creep up on my previous 1 rm's. I didn't have much progress in the first month because the amount of volume absolutely destroyed me and I could never finish all of the sets. Finally started to complete all of the rep work around the beginning of November and since then I've been having some steady gains in numbers. My original goal that I set for myself a couple years ago was 2/3/4/5 and I'm reeeeeally close to hitting all of those soon except for bench which I hit this summer thanks to my t-rex arms lol. New goal is to hit all of those for reps, hopefully in the next 3 month block.

Previous training max -> current training max (90% of hypothetical 1 rm)

Ohp: 165 -> 195
Squat: 325 -> 350
Bench: 290 -> 315
Deadlift: 420 -> 450

I also play baseball in the summer and am looking to incorporate some single leg strengthening and stability stuff as well as bring my squat closer to my deadlift. Does anyone do reverse lunges, split squats, single leg deads, etc?

Going to invest in squat shoes. I see adidas powerlift 4 on sale for $60 at amazon. Good model?

I just bought a pair of those on black friday and they've worked amazing the couple times I've used them. I think the heel for the powerlifts aren't as high as the other adidas models so you can do either high bar or low bar pretty comfortably. I read conflicting reviews about the shoe being true to size or not so I got a half size up as some people recommended and I do feel like they could be a little more snug but the strap completely mitigates any foot sliding so it's been a non-issue while lifting.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
About to head out to my gym / garage to squat and deadlift for the first time since shattering my hip socket. Pretty much just the bar to start... this will be interesting, and possibly massively depressing.
Hmm...

I'm really not sure what to make of that. Firstly, good news in that my deadlift feels like I've still got the movement patterns (just about)... even though obviously I'm lifting next to nothing.

However, bad news is that the nerve damage in my upper leg / hip now makes it extremely hard to work out if I'm moving evenly / properly engaging muscles. Squat felt especially strange, in that I'm pretty certain the bar was moving a lot further forward than it might have in the past... but then it's got no weight on it, so... I don't know.

Some mild pain, but I don't think I damaged anything. Some clicking of tendons in places, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

Amusingly I noticed when setting up that at some point I've managed to bend my deadlift bar. I'd buy a new one, but I really don't think I ever need to be concerned about lifting that sort of weight again.

Edit - Oh, and if I can walk tomorrow, I'll be astonished.

Feb 26, 2019
I've got a busy week this week and I'm probably going to have to skip the gym at least once so I bunched some stuff and ended up doing squats and deadlifts on consecutive days. I don't get all that sore anymore as a rule, but I'm pretty well wrecked today. I could tell last night that I would be, because I was having a high gravity lift session on deads but it's still surprising to be hobbling around like an old man. Nice to know that I'm still doing something, though! Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Got my next program laid out for myself. Its an infinitely repeating 3 week wave. I figure I will get 7 to 8 runs of of it before my next competition.

Oct 30, 2017
My depth is actually good. When my heels were on this apparatus my spine was neutral and upright.

I've read tall people with long legs and short torso should high bar squat. I've been squatting for years. Lately low bar, but i feel its awkward. Maybe trying squat shoes will help with either high or low bar.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
My depth is actually good. When my heels were on this apparatus my spine was neutral and upright.

I've read tall people with long legs and short torso should high bar squat. I've been squatting for years. Lately low bar, but i feel its awkward. Maybe trying squat shoes will help with either high or low bar.
I am 6' and I low bar in heels with a narrow stance. I front squat both in an out of heels. Just do whatever feels best for you. I don't like advice of the "long legs, high bar" form because it is just much easier to try both yourself.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
If I make it through this winter without gaining 20+ pounds it will be two in a row. Getting involved in social media and journaling your progress helps so much. Still wanting to get really lean but just maintaining is pretty awesome at this point.

I agree with deadlifts giving the best sore feeling. My back feels amazing.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Tough night with hip pain, not massively surprising. Not in as much discomfort as I expected today, but I've noticed as I get older, DOMS becomes V(ery)DOMS.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
ive been enjoying doing dumbbell OHP. ive even been enjoying using the rowing machines lol.

was trying to do some DB Front squat but nah. i'll just use BB. also it might just be winter but man no one really does chest anymore. everyone been doing squats and deadlift or lots of leg stuff.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Tough night with hip pain, not massively surprising. Not in as much discomfort as I expected today, but I've noticed as I get older, DOMS becomes V(ery)DOMS.
Yeah I'm 43 now and my DOMS don't kick in until the second day after the gym when they hit like a ton of bricks and then last 2-3 days. I honestly like the feeling of mild soreness though in the later days, you can just feel all the muscles in your body.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Upper thigh / hip getting bad. Quite sharp pains at times when I walk, which means something has swollen and is now getting impinged (possibly up against the metalwork).

Might have to skip exercise tonight, unless I can find something particularly easy to do.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think sharp pain is a sign of doms. But I have learned to do some light cardio post workout to help reduce doms by getting blood flowing more evenly and reducing lactic acid build-up.

Oct 25, 2017
Did this conditioning workout on Tuesday that had (among a few other things) 120 pull-ups (and I weigh about 235). I can feel every muscle in my back right now.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I have a physio. It only comes on from time to time after exercise, which is why I know it's swelling related.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Is the deadlift the most commonly fucked up exercise? Two guys doing them next to me yesterday. One to my right has well over 300lbs. Saw him lift from the front as I was walking up and he's got the red face and straining hard at the top and the whole bit - I just thought, "Good, hard lift." Then as I'm setting up I turn around to see him from the side and this dude's back is like a god damned RAINBOW. Every time he went up I swear I felt my own back tweaking.

No idea wtf the guy to my left was doing. Would start the lift and then his legs would be almost straightened out but he'd still be bent over, until finally rotating at the waist to make his back upright.

It's not like there are real variations of the deadlift like this, so I just don't how people botch it so badly. I'll be praying for both of those guys' lower backs.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Is the deadlift the most commonly fucked up exercise? Two guys doing them next to me yesterday. One to my right has well over 300lbs. Saw him lift from the front as I was walking up and he's got the red face and straining hard at the top and the whole bit - I just thought, "Good, hard lift." Then as I'm setting up I turn around to see him from the side and this dude's back is like a god damned RAINBOW. Every time he went up I swear I felt my own back tweaking.

No idea wtf the guy to my left was doing. Would start the lift and then his legs would be almost straightened out but he'd still be bent over, until finally rotating at the waist to make his back upright.

It's not like there are real variations of the deadlift like this, so I just don't how people botch it so badly. I'll be praying for both of those guys' lower backs.
That's ego deadlift. where rounded back doesn't matter

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Joe Defranco said he can count on one hand how many properly executed deadlifts hes seen at a commercial gym.

Theres alot that goes into it, people teach themselves, and men are notorious for putting way too much weight on the bar. Its a recipe for disaster.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Joe Defranco said he can count on one hand how many properly executed deadlifts hes seen at a commercial gym.

Theres alot that goes into it, people teach themselves, and men are notorious for putting way too much weight on the bar. Its a recipe for disaster.

Just kinda weird to me because if you go and watch 100 videos about a proper deadlift, not a single one will be like "Yeah if your back is a fuckin semi circle that's fine." It's literally not a thing.

Found a GIF of exactly what the second guy I mentioned above was doing. Again, a decent amount of weight and just watching his lower back rotate to bring it up was killing me

Deadlift-hips-up-first.gif

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
Found a GIF of exactly what the second guy I mentioned above was doing. Again, a decent amount of weight and just watching his lower back rotate to bring it up was killing me

Looks like a stiff leg deadlift to me, was his lower back rounding to get the weight up? I know some people like to get tight from the bottom up so that could explain his starting in the normal deadlift position first then raising his hips to keep a flat back and stiff legs.