• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a stiff leg deadlift to me, was his lower back rounding to get the weight up? I know some people like to get tight from the bottom up so that could explain his starting in the normal deadlift position first then raising his hips to keep a flat back and stiff legs.
Hmmm to me this looks like a hip shooting up fault and not a rounded back fault or stiff leg deadlift. Probably the set up is too low and lack of tightness in bottom position.

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
Hmmm to me this looks like a hip shooting up fault and not a rounded back fault or stiff leg deadlift. Probably the set up is too low and lack of tightness in bottom position.

Hah yeah I feel like the majority of people who do stiff leg deadlifts do them unintentionally but its gotta be intentional in that gif it just looks so unnatural and exaggerated lol

Edit: wow ok of course the gif was from an article showing examples of improper form...

Oct 30, 2017
What program do you guys run? Can we get a list? I feel like I'm not gaining muscle. I eat enough, and sleep well. My current program is five days:

Upper heavy- Bench (then one isolated chest), rows ( then latpulldowns), OHP (isolated shoulder move), and one bicep and tricep exercise.
Lower-squat, leg press
Wednesday day off
Back n biceps hypertrophy
Chest, shoulders, triceps hypertrophy
Legs hypertrophy

I keep total sets per body part 15-20 a week.

Five days a week is my max I want to train.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What program do you guys run? Can we get a list? I feel like I'm not gaining muscle. I eat enough, and sleep well. My current program is five days:

Upper heavy- Bench (then one isolated chest), rows ( then latpulldowns), OHP (isolated shoulder move), and one bicep and tricep exercise.
Lower-squat, leg press
Wednesday day off
Legs hypertrophy

Are you progressively increasing the challenge of your work outs?
Are you staying specific and doing the same exercises?
How long have you been doing this specific workout? Maybe it's time to switch it up.

I generally do a push/pull split, 4 days a week.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

Lower-squat, leg press
Wednesday day off
Legs hypertrophy

That programming doesn't have enough detail to critique. Gaining muscle as a goal is also kind of nebulous.

How do you know you are eating enough? Are you gaining weight?

I am currently running 5-day nsuns.

Oct 25, 2017

Lower-squat, leg press
Wednesday day off
Legs hypertrophy

I do a calisthenics full body workout 3 days a week.

I roughly follow r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine, which has various stages of progression.

Pull ups (working towards weighted pull ups)
squats
weighted dips
deadlifts
horizontal rows (working towards front lever)
weighted push ups (working towards hand stand push ups, but the bottle neck is really my lack of hand stand skill)

lastly I do 3 core exercises, right now
hyperextensions holding a weight
ballof press
leg raises from dip/hanging position

I finish with 10-30 minutes of light cardio

I am also working on some other skill work but pretty rarely. Mostly focused on hypertrophy, progressions in these areas, and general fitness. I am about 3 months in and loving both my progressions and results/

But I think diet is actually the more important component to really nail.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I try to impose progressive overload, but can never get strong. Funny enough when I hit each bodypart once a week, I was stronger.

I'm definitely eating enough. I'm 6'1" 195, and eating protein close to my weight, but also not have added bit fat around mid section.

Sorry on phone and hard to be more detailed.

Monday upper heavy:

3x6-8 bench
3x12 cable flies
3x6-8 rows
3x12 latpulldowns
3x6-8 OHP
3x10 cable lateral raises.

Tuesday lower heavy:

3x6-8 squat
4x12 leg press
Leg curls

Wednesday off

Thursday Back n biceps hypertropy:

4x12 cable rows
5x10 pull-ups
4x10 DB rows
4x12 lat pullovers

Friday chest, shoulders, triceps hypertrophy

4x12 bench
4x12 incline Smith
4x10 downward cable flyes working lower pecs
4x12 Dips
4x12 Rope pulldowns
3x10 rear cable delts

Saturday lower hypertrophy

4x12 squats
3x10 DB rdl
3x10 extensions

Diet:

One cup oatmeal, walnuts, berries, scoop of protein
Yogurt with fruit and protein powder
Chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes
Three eggs
Packet of tuna
Dinner which could be fish, red meat or chicken with veggies

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I try to impose progressive overload, but can never get strong. Funny enough when I hit each bodypart once a week, I was stronger.

I'm definitely eating enough. I'm 6'1" 195, and eating protein close to my weight, but also not have added bit fat around mid section.

Sorry on phone and hard to be more detailed.

Monday upper heavy:

3x6-8 bench
3x12 cable flies
3x6-8 rows
3x12 latpulldowns
3x6-8 OHP
3x10 cable lateral raises.

Tuesday lower heavy:

3x6-8 squat
4x12 leg press
Leg curls

Wednesday off

Thursday Back n biceps hypertropy:

4x12 cable rows
5x10 pull-ups
4x10 DB rows
4x12 lat pullovers

Friday chest, shoulders, triceps hypertrophy

4x12 bench
4x12 incline Smith
4x10 downward cable flyes working lower pecs
4x12 Dips
4x12 Rope pulldowns
3x10 rear cable delts

Saturday lower hypertrophy

4x12 squats
3x10 DB rdl
3x10 extensions

Diet:

One cup oatmeal, walnuts, berries, scoop of protein
Yogurt with fruit and protein powder
Chicken, broccoli and sweet potatoes
Three eggs
Packet of tuna
Dinner which could be fish, red meat or chicken with veggies
How many calories is this? If you are not gaining muscle and are not getting fatter then you are not eating enough. I don't know what kind of shape you are in but if you are high bf % at 6'1 195 you might have too much fat on you to tell if you are gaining muscle if you are just looking in a mirror.

Fwiw your heavy days have a lot of volume. 6-8 reps isn't strength work.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
It's around 2500-3000 calories. I'm muscular with a bit of fat on stomach. I used to have abs lol.

Honestly I'd like to drop to like 188.

Is my program bad? If not what would you tweak/suggest? It definitely seems I need to lower reps for heavy days

Edit-Actually BBB looks decent. It has enough volume, and could get me out of gym fast. Nsun 5 day I see too many variations. Is there a site that has his programs in a cleaner layout? Thanks!

Last edited:

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
What program do you guys run? Can we get a list?

5/3/1 Bodybuilding

Day 1: Shoulders

5/3/1 Military press
4x12 Dumbbell shoulder press
4x12 Dumbbell lat raise
4x12 Dumbbell rear delt raise
4x12 Barbell curl
4x10 Preacher curl

Day 2: Legs/Back

5/3/1 Deadlift
4x12 Barbell row
4x10 Lat pulldown
4x10 Good morning
4x12 Hanging leg raise

Day 3: Chest

5/3/1 Bench press
4x10 Weighted dips
4x12 Standing cable fly
5x20 Triceps pushdown
4x Pushups (as many reps as possible)

Day 4: Legs

5/3/1 Squat
5x10 Leg press
5x15 Leg curl
4x12 Leg extension
4x12 Ab wheel rollout

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
That's a nice program! I'll take it in consideration.

For NSuns 5 day, I don't see any row movements. I'd like to incorporate pull-ups, too.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
That's a nice program! I'll take it in consideration.

For NSuns 5 day, I don't see any row movements. I'd like to incorporate pull-ups, too.
Nsuns does not program accessories for you because accessories are meant to Target weaknesses and imbalances ( no one size fits all). If you want to do 5/3/1 BBB then it is the same way. These are not really meant for beginners. You said you have a bit of muscle already so you might be able to program the accessories if you go with either of those.

Oct 25, 2017

Lower-squat, leg press
Wednesday day off
Legs hypertrophy

I run Tactical Barbell and I love it. I feel about 200% better since I started using it a year and a half ago. But it is designed to minimize muscle gain while improving max strength and fitness/conditioning. There is a Mass Protocol version for gaining muscle, though.

There are books on Amazon, very cheap for what you get. There is also a website with a training log forum where I post my daily workouts (under the same name as here).

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it more, but as of now it looks like I'm leaning towards 5/3/1 BBB.

Side note I got my squat shoes, and squared today. They're amazing, and definitely worth the investment.

Oct 25, 2017
The strength training side of Tactical Barbell is based on 5/3/1. But then it adds conditioning work from LE and military groups.

Edit: Here is the best ad I can make for TB. Recently I did the following workout in exactly 30 minutes.

Squat 315 5x5
Standing OHP 155 5x5
Pull-ups 5x5 (I weigh 235)

And when I got home I felt so fresh it was like I had skipped my workout entirely, zero hyperbole. That's a result of the conditioning work you do.

Last edited:

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I guess you're looking for bodybuilding programs, but I'll post mine just for novelty's sake. Been training for 11 years and bodybuilding/general fitness got boring, so I've been transitioning to Olympic lifting for the past year. I do a 3 day split. Each session lasts between 2 to 3 hours, so 3x a week is enough for me. I still end up squatting every session just because it's so important for Olympic lifts. I've completely deemphasized chest and shoulder work because I overdeveloped them doing bodybuilding work, and bigger pec/delts are detrimental to Olympic lifts. Even if you do stick with a bodybuilding routine, implementing the Clean into your workout routine is extremely beneficial and transfers well to other movements. Plus, nothing is quite as badass as picking up a 200lb+ barbell off the ground and racking it at chest height ;)

Snatch Day
  • 30 min Stretch
  • Muscle Snatch 5x1
  • Hang Snatch 5x1
  • Power Snatch 3x2 (not enough mobility for a full snatch)
  • Power Snatch singles up to 95% of max
  • Panda Pull 5x5
  • Paused Front Squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Paused Back Squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Good Morning 5x3
  • Ab work
  • tabatax3 jump rope
Clean and Jerk Day
  • 30 min Stretch
  • Overhead Press singles up to 80% of max
  • Rack Jerk singles up to 80% of max
  • Hang Clean 3x2
  • Power Clean 3x2
  • Clean and Jerk singles up to 95% of max
  • Power Clean 3x2
  • Clean Pulls 5x5
  • Paused Front Squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Paused Back Squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Ab work
  • tabatax3 jump rope
Accessories Day
  • 30 min Stretch
  • Snatch Grip Deadlift 5x3
  • Snatch Grip Deadlift singles up to 95% of max
  • Paused front squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Paused back squat singles up to 95% of max
  • Leg Extension 8x5
  • Standing Leg Curl 8x5
  • Standing Calf Raise 12x3
  • Donkey Calf Raise 12x3
  • Weighted Pull Up 5x3
  • Incline Bench Press 8x3
  • Bicep / Tricep Supersets 12xfail
  • Ab work
  • tabatax3 jump rope

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to need a coach / trainer for a while I think. I can't "feel" my form properly because of the nerve damage in my upper thigh and I'm only really used to watching vids to check form afterwards rather than changing things on the fly with a mirror or something.

I think until I can pick up new cues I could definitely do with someone getting my patterns right.

Plus, added bonus is I don't have to worry about taking a ton of time working out decent programming. They can sort it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to need a coach / trainer for a while I think. I can't "feel" my form properly because of the nerve damage in my upper thigh and I'm only really used to watching vids to check form afterwards rather than changing things on the fly with a mirror or something.

I think until I can pick up new cues I could definitely do with someone getting my patterns right.

Plus, added bonus is I don't have to worry about taking a ton of time working out decent programming. They can sort it for me.
Sorry to hear about all the issues, man.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It is what it is I guess. I can walk (still a bit of a limp, but getting there), and it seems I can mostly still ride a bike. So it could be worse.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Just reached a goal I set for myself this year: one-plate military press. Felt good and decided to go for it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It is what it is I guess. I can walk (still a bit of a limp, but getting there), and it seems I can mostly still ride a bike. So it could be worse.
One thing I am struggling with though... I used to lift heavy to deal with some anger issues with work / life / whatever. I don't really have that outlet now as I just can't risk it.

As such, I'm carrying around a fucking ton of frustration. For some reason cardio does zero do deal with this, nor does upper body weights.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I might put the kickboxing bag back up. I don't think there is an upper body lift that will give me what I need, but maybe punching the hell out of something will work.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've never been good at meditation. The idea of stopping and doing nothing when I've got about eighteen billion things on my plate is somewhat alien to me.

Same reason I don't really play games any more.

Also, I can't sit cross legged now. :(

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been good at meditation. The idea of stopping and doing nothing when I've got about eighteen billion things on my plate is somewhat alien to me.

Same reason I don't really play games any more.

Also, I can't sit cross legged now. :(

Meditation is not the act of non-doing. That's sleep.

Meditation is the act of noticing and living in the present: the breathe, the moment, your body, and/or your environment. It can be as active as any movement. And mindfulness can be incorporated into normal things, like walking, drinking water, or eating. That might even be a good place to start.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Super, but it's still not happening in my life at the moment. Not least because if I'm eating or drinking I'm doing something else at the same time already anyway.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What's up with people getting into a full powerlifting arch for the bench press and not even making chest contact

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Deadlifting feeling better. Did 50kg (yeah, I know it's nothing) and it didn't feel like anything was going to break.

It'll be at least a month until I go any higher than that though. Probably no more than 12 reps per set.

Squat still feels awful. Might try a front squat instead as I never really did them in the past so don't have any expectations / patterns.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with people getting into a full powerlifting arch for the bench press and not even making chest contact
If they know what they are doing they could be doing a variation. There are actually legitimate reasons for doing partial ranges of motion.

Or they don't know what they are doing *shrug*

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Edit: Here is the best ad I can make for TB. Recently I did the following workout in exactly 30 minutes.

Squat 315 5x5
Standing OHP 155 5x5
Pull-ups 5x5 (I weigh 235)

And when I got home I felt so fresh it was like I had skipped my workout entirely, zero hyperbole. That's a result of the conditioning work you do.

O_O

Wow that's pretty wild. 30 mins.....so I guess you're not resting between sets, and just doing a circuit.
I can't even imagine this right now hahaha that's a lot of work

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my Gallbladder out this afternoon. Feels fucking amazing getting that little bastard out, been such a drain on my recovery since the beginning of October. Surgeon gave me zero restrictions but me knowing me I put self limiting restrictions on myself. Nothing but gripper/forearm training til Saturday at the earliest. Light upper isolation, leg machines and lunges as soon as Saturday. Light spine loaded lifts (Squats/Deads) at the earliest Monday. Hopefully back to semi normal training starting the 30th.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If they know what they are doing they could be doing a variation. There are actually legitimate reasons for doing partial ranges of motion.

Or they don't know what they are doing *shrug*
Haha, I was more griping than asking. Manhattan gyms are full of half-repping finance bros.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty happy about my progress over the last 4 months.

Down 9.8% body fat. Only down about 10lbs in actual weight. Gained a bunch of muscle. 150 workout days in a row and counting. (I rest diff bod parts nor do long workouts)

EMLiuEHVAAAWHma.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
O_O

Wow that's pretty wild. 30 mins.....so I guess you're not resting between sets, and just doing a circuit.
I can't even imagine this right now hahaha that's a lot of work
Well it's 15 sets in 30 minutes, so on average I was probably resting 90 seconds. But I wasn't timing it, I was just going when I felt I had waited long enough and then checking the time occassionally.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I took a body composition test today at a university wellness center since I'm ending my cut in a few days. I'm apparently 12.2% body fat, 159.4 pounds with 140.1 pounds of lbm. I was honestly hoping for 10. I have this obsession with reaching 10% before my bulk because I'm so obnoxiously afraid of getting too fat during a bulk and having to cut for longer because of it. Not to mention just looking pudgy. Because of that I'm tempted to keep cutting just a bit longer to reach 10%. But, I'm so tired of cutting. I've lost some strength on my bench press, overhead, and lateral pulldowns, and my energy levels are often pretty low, with little motivation to be at the gym. I almost feel depressed sometimes. I have this fear of bulking wrong again. I honestly hate the whole bulk/cut cycle. It's exhausting. But I wanna eventually reach 180 pounds with like 10% body fat so yeah lol. I'm 5'8" btw. I feel like these results are good news but of course I don't take them as good news.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Looking for some new lifting shoes. Anyone own a pair of Nike Romaleos? Also looking at Reebok's legacylifter. So god damned expensive but I'll get my money's worth from almost daily use.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Looking for some new lifting shoes. Anyone own a pair of Nike Romaleos? Also looking at Reebok's legacylifter. So god damned expensive but I'll get my money's worth from almost daily use.
I own a pair of Nike Romaleo 2, Velaasa Strake, and Adidas Leistung 2.
They all have different heel heights, so if you have poor mobility, generally go for a higher heel.

Are you doing Olympic lifting?

Oct 25, 2017
I took a body composition test today at a university wellness center since I'm ending my cut in a few days. I'm apparently 12.2% body fat, 159.4 pounds with 140.1 pounds of lbm. I was honestly hoping for 10. I have this obsession with reaching 10% before my bulk because I'm so obnoxiously afraid of getting too fat during a bulk and having to cut for longer because of it. Not to mention just looking pudgy. Because of that I'm tempted to keep cutting just a bit longer to reach 10%. But, I'm so tired of cutting. I've lost some strength on my bench press, overhead, and lateral pulldowns, and my energy levels are often pretty low, with little motivation to be at the gym. I almost feel depressed sometimes. I have this fear of bulking wrong again. I honestly hate the whole bulk/cut cycle. It's exhausting. But I wanna eventually reach 180 pounds with like 10% body fat so yeah lol. I'm 5'8" btw. I feel like these results are good news but of course I don't take them as good news.
Honestly would die for 12.2% body fat. You should be proud. Not many people are that low nor can get that low!

Great work dude.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I own a pair of Nike Romaleo 2, Velaasa Strake, and Adidas Leistung 2.
They all have different heel heights, so if you have poor mobility, generally go for a higher heel.

Are you doing Olympic lifting?

Yeah just started a couple of months ago. My everyday shoes are old Nike free trainers. I'm gonna replace them with another light shoe for cardio and stuff but wanted something proper for cleans and I figure I can use them for squats, deadlifts.