• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah just started a couple of months ago. My everyday shoes are old Nike free trainers. I'm gonna replace them with another light shoe for cardio and stuff but wanted something proper for cleans and I figure I can use them for squats, deadlifts.
Most people shouldn't deadlift in heels unless you are practicing snatch grip deadlifts.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yeah just started a couple of months ago. My everyday shoes are old Nike free trainers. I'm gonna replace them with another light shoe for cardio and stuff but wanted something proper for cleans and I figure I can use them for squats, deadlifts.
If you can get your hands on a pair of Romaleo 2's, those are fantastic. The 3's have very mixed reviews, including a lot of folks who say it falls apart very quickly.
The Leistung 2's are great and can be found for less than $100, but have a 1'' heel, so they're not for everyone. But they're very comfy. Haven't tried any Reeboks myself, but they've been on sale lately.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly would die for 12.2% body fat. You should be proud. Not many people are that low nor can get that low!

Great work dude.
Thanks. I know I'm being hard on myself. I've just never been able to get rid of a certain flab of fat on my lower belly and it annoys the hell out of me. I guess it's unrealistic to expect rock hard abs right now or maybe ever. I need to get over my fear of getting fat on a bulk honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I know I'm being hard on myself. I've just never been able to get rid of a certain flab of fat on my lower belly and it annoys the hell out of me. I guess it's unrealistic to expect rock hard abs right now or maybe ever. I need to get over my fear of getting fat on a bulk honestly.

I saw a couple TYers mention there is a method, based on recent studies, that you can in fact target fat burn by doing low intensity steady state cardio after exercising the area. I doubt it is gonna be any miracle method but maybe these little things add up.

I am sorta in the same situation as you are. The tiny patch of belly fat sorta sticks out more now it is sorta isolated (and I have a scar there).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Me: "I need some whey and some creatine"
GNC: "Ok, we're having a buy 2 get 1 free for whey"
Me: "Oh...i guess i should get three then...that's alot of money though"
GNC: "We're having a buy 1 get 1 half off for creatine"
Me: "uh oh"
GNC: "That'll be $256"

cd7.gif

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Me: "I need some whey and some creatine"
GNC: "Ok, we're having a buy 2 get 1 free for whey"
Me: "Oh...i guess i should get three then...that's alot of money though"
GNC: "We're having a buy 1 get 1 half off for creatine"
Me: "uh oh"
GNC: "That'll be $256"

cd7.gif

Did you get 2lbs of each? Because you'll never run out of creatine, and the whet protein alone probably comes out to about $1.50 per serving. Not too bad.

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys, can I get some recommendations for specific exercise programs geared towards cutting? Something with both cardio and weight training, preferably with supersets/giant sets.

I've tried planning my own workouts but I just can't stay consistent.

Last edited:

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, can I get some recommendations for specific exercise programs geared towards cutting? Something with both cardio and weight training, preferably with supersets/giant sets.

I would try something by Brian Alsruhe, all of his programs run on giant sets and conditioning. doesn't have any traditional cardio in it though. The only caveat maybe being that you down regulate the %s by a little bit since you're cutting. He posts videos explaining all of his programs This is a playlist of all his programming videos. the only one I would say not to run on a cut for sure is Dark Horse

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Find a program that uses circuits like Athlean X's shred.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I was walking in a mall in a tank top and as I pass the fresh foods section I hear someone say "Kimchi sir, workout food!". Looks like I made it.

Oct 25, 2017
I went through security at the airport yesterday and got pulled aside for a quick pat-down of my arms because the machine read them as too dense or something.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
My arms! Went to the gym yesterday for the first time after my intro session, thought I took it easy but today my arms are feeling it, can't even straighten them.

Also went for an extended brisk walk today for the first time since my foot healed, that wore me out too.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
After almost 2 years of working out, I have begun to detest protein shakes. Can't stomach them, can't even think about drinking them. It's a bad deal since I drink them with milk for about 64g of protein. Ugh.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
After almost 2 years of working out, I have begun to detest protein shakes. Can't stomach them, can't even think about drinking them. It's a bad deal since I drink them with milk for about 64g of protein. Ugh.
Same, but I'm at 12 years and I've hated them since day 1, lol.
I use whey isolate with the absolute minimum amount of milk required for a solution and reward myself with some juice afterwards.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
End of the year stats:

Weight: 180 lbs

Military press: 1x135
Deadlift: 3x295
Bench: 1x205
Squat: 1x285

2020 goals:
- two plate bench
- three plate squat/DL
- more conditioning work 😅

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Same, but I'm at 12 years and I've hated them since day 1, lol.
I use whey isolate with the absolute minimum amount of milk required for a solution and reward myself with some juice afterwards.

How often do you drink them? I can't bear to do it every day, so I'm just doing it 3 days a week after a workout. I'm sure it's hurting my muscle development, but it keeps me from nausea!

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
GNCs whey is pretty good. But like jvalioli said, you can get your protein from normal food. Just add a bit of extra chicken/fish/meat to your meal.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

Adidas Powerlift 4 @ $48
Pretty good deal if you need a shoe specific to squatting. Wouldn't suggest for full Olympic movements.

GNCs whey is pretty good. But like jvalioli said, you can get your protein from normal food. Just add a bit of extra chicken/fish/meat to your meal.
Yeah, I think if you're capable of eating real food, you should always eat real food.
I hate eating, so shakes are the only way I can get near the right macros. I'd rather down a shake in a minute than grind through a chicken breast over an hour.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, protein shakes are definitely still got that edgy must have vibe in general, but in reality it is just protein and there are arguments for and against using it but I suggest do not overthink it.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips, gents. My main issue is that I don't eat much (been a constant life struggle), so the protein shake really helps me get my macros in. I drink the optimum nutrition whey, and it's alright.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips, gents. My main issue is that I don't eat much (been a constant life struggle), so the protein shake really helps me get my macros in. I drink the optimum nutrition whey, and it's alright.
There are some better tasting protein shakes that are out there as opposed to ON.

I used to hate all protein shakes but eventually found BSN Syntha shakes were some of the best tasting. Also NutraOne shakes has "Creations" line and the fruity cereal one was insane. I bet the others are good too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKLMFG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H0rbEbA6QW8R8

there are also ready to drink shakes and I've enjoyed Premier Proteins Cookies and Cream, banana, strawberry and peaches and cream flavors. These mainly use Casein.

Just my couple cents.

if all else fails, more chicken, beef, fish, etc!

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
That depends on your goals. If you just want to go to the gym a few times a week and get more active, that's fine. But I weigh 235lbs and I exercise 6 times a week. I'm just not going to eat that much plain chicken and vegetables.
If you care about getting your protein in then you either gotta eat it or drink it. I personally do not eat bw in protein.

Missed 175 OHP @ 180 bw. Was after heavy bench and volume OHP session so I think I can get it fresh. My wrist has been sprained for the past few months so I'm finally getting back into heavy work.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
There are some better tasting protein shakes that are out there as opposed to ON.

I used to hate all protein shakes but eventually found BSN Syntha shakes were some of the best tasting. Also NutraOne shakes has "Creations" line and the fruity cereal one was insane. I bet the others are good too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKLMFG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H0rbEbA6QW8R8

there are also ready to drink shakes and I've enjoyed Premier Proteins Cookies and Cream, banana, strawberry and peaches and cream flavors. These mainly use Casein.

Just my couple cents.

if all else fails, more chicken, beef, fish, etc!

Thank you! I'll try the ones you've recommended. I'm so desperate I switched to unflavored whey! The others are just way too sweet.

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
What do y'all think of powder Huel for nutrition(nutrition info: https://huel.com/pages/the-huel-powder-formula-explained)? I currently drink it once a day for breakfast but am planning to drink it twice a day for breakfast and lunch later since I don't mind the taste. My goal is to lose fat and I've been working out 3 times a week with the StrongLifts 5x5 (initially did the full body Practical Programming workouts as in the OP).

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What do y'all think of powder Huel for nutrition(nutrition info: https://huel.com/pages/the-huel-powder-formula-explained)? I currently drink it once a day for breakfast but am planning to drink it twice a day for breakfast and lunch later since I don't mind the taste. My goal is to lose fat and I've been working out 3 times a week with the StrongLifts 5x5 (initially did the full body Practical Programming workouts as in the OP).
I use 1 scoop (half serving) Huel with an additional 22g whey isolate for extra calories after each meal. I don't like it very much because it never fully dissolves. It mixes very thick and if you let it sit for a minute, the sediments will fall out of solution and you have to reshake, otherwise you'll be left with a thick mud after you drink all the liquid. Macro-wise I think it's fine, although I've never had any luck on a liquid diet. I always end up breaking and snacking out.

Oct 25, 2017

If it fits your calories and macros it is probably fine. Losing weight is largely driven by a spontaneous caloric deficit. Resistance exercises are awesome for long term benefits since muscle drives our metabolism but for losing the fat itself it is going to be accomplished best and easiest through simply eating less than your body needs to maintain your weight to force it to recruit calories from stored fat.

It definitely looks like a solid tool for weight loss. Would be nice if they had a very low carb option.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
That depends on your goals. If you just want to go to the gym a few times a week and get more active, that's fine. But I weigh 235lbs and I exercise 6 times a week. I'm just not going to eat that much plain chicken and vegetables.

Non-fat light Greek yogurt, Quest bars, and those Equate protein shakes from Walmart are some good sources. I also hate mixing and drinking protein powder.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool - Never heard of Huel but looks similar to Soylent but with way better macros.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Do you think it's too expensive?

I looked at it closer and I guess it isn't terrible since it's a whole meal replacement. Low on protein though. I just get the shakes that are 30g of protein and 160 calories. 12 shakes for $15. They are near the protein bars at Walmart.

Have you guys seen the NEJM article on intermittent fasting? https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1905136

Doesn't get any higher impact and well-renowned than NEJM in the medical circles.

It's making me make an account. Do you have a summary? I just wonder if it's a correlation thing where because it helps people lose weight they get these benefits type of deal. I can't do it anymore since optimal meal frequency for muscle is 4-5 protein meals evenly spread out.

Last edited:

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I looked at it closer and I guess it isn't terrible since it's a whole meal replacement. Low on protein though. I just get the shakes that are 30g of protein and 160 calories. 12 shakes for $15. They are near the protein bars at Walmart.

It's making me make an account. Do you have a summary? I just wonder if it's a correlation thing where because it helps people lose weight they get these benefits type of deal. I can't do it anymore since optimal meal frequency for muscle is 4-5 protein meals evenly spread out.
Here ya go:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Thanks! I read bits and pieces and it seems they are sharing the benefits of going from obese to non-obese. A normal energy restriction will provide the same benefits for the most part. I read other sections where they were speaking of benefits for rodents which seems to rarely apply to humans. Pretty interesting though. It's definitely a great tool to stick to a calorie deficit.

Oct 25, 2017

Which one are these? Premier Protein has the same macros you are mentioning but seem to start at $20.

Costco has 18 for like 24. But wasn't sure if there were better deals

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the gym (officially) after having my gallbladder removed a little over 2 weeks ago. Not going back to normal training for a little bit but its been getting in and doing stuff this week.. Hit legs on Monday, Chest/Arms on Tuesday, and Legs/Back today. No heavy spinal lifts like barbell squats or deadlifts.

Belt Squat, Leg Ext, Leg Curls, Shrugs and Straight Arm Lat pulldowns today. Pump felt good AF.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
First day back in the gym after the new year tomorrow. Should be interesting to see if it's full of noobs.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I went to mine yesterday and they had a few but then again it could be morning crew as I don't go in the morning on work day

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
2020 goals:
- 11% BF and maintain it
- lower back strength and mobility
- consistency with diet and nutrition

overall I'd like to become more lean/cut and maintain 🙏🏼💪