• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Gym was ded yesterday but there were about 3 times more people today. I made a beeline to the leg press before someone else got on, it didn't affect my workout so that was nice. I am also only up 6 pounds from late November now. I gained 13 in December so it's coming off fast!

Oct 25, 2017
Gym was LOADED today. I was patient with people as many aren't aware of standard gym etiquette and I commend them for wanting to change to a healthier lifestyle.

Had some people sitting on machines FOREVER and resting on them as opposed to moving off them after their sets were done :-X

Oct 25, 2017
I will be starting up again either tomorrow or Monday. Skipped 2 days this week for various reasons, somewhat bad timing reasons. But there should not be anything in the way tomorrow. I am also considering just skipping tomorrow as my body is adjusting back to keto WOE. I have been doing some LISS cardio at home at least, but that is mostly to promote fat mobility and ketone production.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Weighted vest+recumbent bike at work+lifting for 1.5 hours=fat loss with 3300 calorie average. Feels good. Donuts tonight to keep on track. Maple squares with fluff filling.

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't been keeping up with Rippetoe's shenanigans but whew he should shut the fuck up on things he thinks he knows about but in reality doesn't know jack and shit about (for example climate change)

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
First workout of the new year after a thoroughly gluttonous & drunk Christmas/New Year, got in & out before 8am which I'm hoping is a bit too early for the resolutionists.

Will see how packed it is next week.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been keeping up with Rippetoe's shenanigans but whew he should shut the fuck up on things he thinks he knows about but in reality doesn't know jack and shit about (for example climate change)

Looking through here Twitter now, there's such a stark contrast between his measured and scientific approach to strength training and its benefits vs. his political and social views. Skeevy.

Nov 7, 2017
Looking through here Twitter now, there's such a stark contrast between his measured and scientific approach to strength training and its benefits vs. his political and social views. Skeevy.
Even his views on strength training are pretty outdated and he won't change his views because he's too stubborn.

That's part of the reason why people like Jordan Feigenbaum from Barbell Medicine are distancing themselves from Rip and SS

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I just need to lose enough weight to fit in my clothes again. Beyond that I care almost entirely about getting my mobility back.

Couldn't give a shit about aesthetics any more (both because I'm old, and because they seem largely irrelevant in the big picture now).

I'm only going to be using the commercial gym on a Friday now as I'm capable of (light) compound movements again so can use my own gear rather than relying on machines. That does mean that I need to work out if it's better to pay by the day rather than have a membership though (almost certainly).

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got all my planned gym workouts in this week. I'm getting back on the wagon after recovering from surgery on a biceps tendon I tore in summer. I got back at it in October for here weeks after getting cleared by my surgeon, but did then had a terrible cold that had me laid up a while and then work and holiday craziness.

I have to take it easy as I recover (and being wary as I tore it from doing to much too soon when getting back to working out last spring and summer) so I'm doing lighter weights, 15 rep sets, increasing weights less often and doing a lot more cardio. I don't care about bulking up anymore anyway. Really just want to lose 15-20lbs (mostly beer gut and love handles) so I'm focused on that type of working out, along with a cleaner diet and drinking way less (starting with a dry January).

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Cool thing about switching gyms, is that I don't have to deal with many or any resolutioners. Just due to the type of gym that it is it doesn't attract that type of person.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Uhh...

20200103_210244x6jkg.jpg

20200103_205355ysjwi.jpg

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I got forced into work early cause someone had to leave sick but I still squeezed in a 30 min workout. I lost another 1.2 pounds. I was 182 late November, got up to 195 by December 27th. I am now 187 even. Going for a 3200 calorie average with 200+ grams of protein. Full body workouts every day. I love it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm thinking about joining a group fitness class this week and one option is HIIT. Is that any good and what should I expect?

Thanks.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking about joining a group fitness class this week and one option is HIIT. Is that any good and what should I expect?

Thanks.

HIIT seems to be the go to thing for fat loss / building stamina nowadays as opposed to old school LISS (Low Intensity Steady State)

I haven't really tried it yet since I'm still a little sceptical of spiking your heart rate that much for a relatively short amount of time which just sounds kinda unhealthy to me common sense wise but science definitely seems to oppose me here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
HIIT seems to be the go to thing for fat loss / building stamina nowadays as opposed to old school LISS (Low Intensity Steady State)

I haven't really tried it yet since I'm still a little sceptical of spiking your heart rate that much for a relatively short amount of time which just sounds kinda unhealthy to me common sense wise but science definitely seems to oppose me here.
Alright, thanks for the response. I'll look into it some more and maybe look into some of the other classes they offer.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The whole spiked heart rate thing is pretty much why it works.

As for what to expect... you'll get out of it what you put into it. You'll soon learn what your limits are for those short "all out" intervals, and you'll also learn how to recover as much as is humanly possible in the short time you have between them. :)

As for safety. The scientist that started all of this (Izumi Tabata) studied ways to make the elderly healthier. It's perfectly safe to do as long as you don't have some sort of underlying heart issue that stops it being safe to go all out. Even with that said, it's been tested on people who had previously had heart failure too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5571578/

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Great, thanks for the info. One other question. Would it be beneficial to take a strength training class in the middle of the hiit classes?

• HIIT on Tues
  • Strength Training on Wed
  • HIIT on Thurs
Probably do some swimming and running on some of the other days.

Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
HIIT is awesome. Feels great to do and takes less time. But that does not mean LISS has no role, they basically fill different purposes. HIIT is going to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time and apparently has a thermogenic effect for hours afterwards which increases your metabolism. And I have read tabata HIIT style is very good for increasing performance. I actually know less about LISS but I know that doing LISS can help mobilize fat because you are moving your body a lot which mobilizing lymph (which is not pumped by your heart). And your lymph actually transports fat. I also understand LISS supports ketone production (which is a relevant thing whether you are on a keto diet or not) so that is great for boosting energy.

I do both. Typically at least 1 day of HIIT a week and on strength training days I do not do HIIT I do LISS. When I do HIIT, I do tabata style of 30-40 seconds on full intensity and then 10-15 seconds rest for 4-5 minutes and then repeat for 3 total sets. I usually feel very good after HIIT.

Feb 26, 2019
Took a week off around Christmas, and then my wife and kids got sick. Ended up having to take another week off to take care of folks and keep myself from getting too sick. And now? NOW??? Fucking pink eye. I shouldn't be contagious after tonight, but I'm hesitant to hit the the gym with what is (was) obviously something very communicable. Anyway, I'm taking the time off to do a little bulking lol

Oct 27, 2017
Don't post here often, but the amount of people when I workout at 5:30-6a.m. has definitely doubled. Usually stay to myself in my own zone when I workout, but can't help see the ego lifter dudes over loading the bar and doing quarter squats.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Still getting a good deal of hip pain when I squat (no weight). Starting to piss me off now.

Think I'm just going to have to leave it and see how I get on with lunges etc instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Great, thanks for the info. One other question. Would it be beneficial to take a strength training class in the middle of the hiit classes?

• HIIT on Tues
  • Strength Training on Wed
  • HIIT on Thurs
Probably do some swimming and running on some of the other days.

Thanks.

To answer this first, yes it's fine to train strength between HIITs. But if you're only training strength once a week, you won't make any progress and you might as well not do it at all. I train max strength twice a week, total body both times, and that's really the minimum.

To address your first question / a common misconception, yes HIIT is good for fat loss. But it won't build endurance. LISS (your swimming and running, if you go slowly enough) builds endurance.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
To answer this first, yes it's fine to train strength between HIITs. But if you're only training strength once a week, you won't make any progress and you might as well not do it at all. I train max strength twice a week, total body both times, and that's really the minimum.

To address your first question / a common misconception, yes HIIT is good for fat loss. But it won't build endurance. LISS (your swimming and running, if you go slowly enough) builds endurance.
I usually run 4-5 times a week and it's usually 2.5 - 3.5 miles at about 10'50 pace. I also started a spinning class tonight which felt pretty good. I can add another strength training class on either Friday or Saturday. I want to get my lifeguard cert before work starts back up in March so I'd like to swim more as well.

thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually run 4-5 times a week and it's usually 2.5 - 3.5 miles at about 10'50 pace. I also started a spinning class tonight which felt pretty good. I can add another strength training class on either Friday or Saturday. I want to get my lifeguard cert before work starts back up in March so I'd like to swim more as well.

thanks.
Just to get you thinking, here's my standard schedule.

Day 1: Strength
Day 2: Sprint-type work
Day 3: Endurance
Day 4: Strength
Day 5: General Conditioning (think burpees or pull-ups mixed with running)
Day 6: Endurance
Day 7: Off

But right now I'm lifting twice a week and doing 60-90 minute slow jogs the rest of the week to build my endurance tank back up.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Hit 170 for a double on OHP today so I think I'm going to end up stalling at 175 or 180. I will probably also drop my weight back down to 175 this month as well.

Damn y'all ever try beta-alanine? The tingling is something else lol
Yes. I take it every weekday but it does not give me tingles for whatever reason.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah beta alanine is in my preworkout. The tingles feel good :P

Makes my head itchy and rubbing it feels sooooo good :P

Gym has been so loaded with people lol.. I know itll slow down here soonish but I'm impressed. Gyms must BANK in January.

Also struggling to get a DXA scan in for late this month as people booked all the appointments around due to resolutions. Gonna have to drive to Culver City to get one now RIP

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What about Bulgarian Split Squats or leg press?
Yeah, split squats was one of the ones I was going to try. I've never been great at them though, so I can only imagine how bad I am at them now!

Could do the leg press at the gym, but the one they have isn't like any I've used in the past. Footplate moves in a very odd arc, doesn't feel comfortable at all. They have a few plate based leg press options, but I've not used them yet as they tend to be filled with freakbeasts.

On Beta Alanine... Anyone got any studies pointing to it having any sort of meaningful ergogenic effect? I understand people like the tingles, but the last couple of studies I read on it basically pointed it it being fairly worthless as a supplement.

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually in the market for a beta alanine and citrulline malate supplement for pre-workout.

Seems doable on my budget but I am not sure on dosage, as in if 80mg of beta alanine is enough. A lot of these brands seem to have the same exact doses though. That seems to be the cheapest and even has a 10% off coupon so it is more than affordable.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually in the market for a beta alanine and citrulline malate supplement for pre-workout.

Seems doable on my budget but I am not sure on dosage, as in if 80mg of beta alanine is enough. A lot of these brands seem to have the same exact doses though. That seems to be the cheapest and even has a 10% off coupon so it is more than affordable.
Just buy the ingredients and put a serving in your pre.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Just to get you thinking, here's my standard schedule.

Day 1: Strength
Day 2: Sprint-type work
Day 3: Endurance
Day 4: Strength
Day 5: General Conditioning (think burpees or pull-ups mixed with running)
Day 6: Endurance
Day 7: Off

But right now I'm lifting twice a week and doing 60-90 minute slow jogs the rest of the week to build my endurance tank back up.
Thanks for this. I went ahead and made an appointment with a trainer to work on what strength training would be best for me. I did the spinning class on Monday and the HIIT class yesterday and my appointment is tonight, which will end up being my strength training that I'll end up doing Wed and Fri with another HIIT class on Thursday. Not sure what I'll do on Saturday if anything at all. I'm pretty sore right now and I don't want to push too hard.

Oct 25, 2017
I shortened my fast window a bit before my exercise and felt pretty solid today at least in energy. I think my best pull up performance although I stuck largely to 5x5 I added some slow negatives as well. Tomorrow I am going to hit my core again but mostly hit up some cardio and maybe some HIIT, because this month I am doing a 4 week cut so the little bit extra on top of my regular is part of that.

Just buy the ingredients and put a serving in your pre.

That does seem like a pretty good route since 20 dollars of pure beta alanine has apparently 800+ servings of 545 mg of beta alanine compared to only 80mg in those caps which has only 30 servings. Similar results with pure citrulline malate. I may end up spending more but those will last forever, or I can find smaller sizes.

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I got an probable infart alert after an electrocardiogram due to my 49bpm heart rate. :O

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I make my own, just make sure you have druggy scales as some of those ingredients you'd rather not overdose. Ideally buy the scales with the calibration weights.

Not sure what I'll do on Saturday if anything at all. I'm pretty sore right now and I don't want to push too hard.
Good stuff! ...and yeah, when you start (or go back after a break), the soreness can be terrible. No harm in taking it easy after a few hard days.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
This week I started a brand new nutrition plan, something I have never done while doing a program like p90x before. I did all my macros and am going for 50p/30c/20f split at 1900 calories. Its been super hard to get my protein up to the 250g that it wants of me. I am usually so full I cant eat any more. The protein shakes and bars really fill me up.

For instance, I made an oatmeal today with 2 scoops of protein powder and some cinnamon, along with a protein shake and I couldn't even finish it all. I was full from around 11 am to 4:30 pm. I am finally sitting down to eat lunch now (chicken breast, brocolli, and a cheese stick) but I dont know how I am gonna make it to dinner.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
What are your stats? 250g of protein is a crap ton.

My bad, its 237, I based my numbers on being at 190lbs, but today I weighed in at 187.

Based off that, my resting metabolic rate is 1900, my active burn rate is 380, and I imagine I am burning around 500-600 for each P90X workout as my exercise burn rate. RMR + AB + EB = 2880. I then subtracted 1000 from that to be at a calorie deficit. So 1900ish.

Then I plugged that into MyFitnessPal and it recommended 237g of protein at 1900 calories. This is for the "fat shredder" P90X nutrition guide as well.

Am I way off? Any tips are greatly appreciated as this is all pretty new to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the general rule is you would want to aim for 1g of protein per lb of body weight. At least there are studies that show it does benefit people who are looking to gain muscle fairly well. Some people believe doing even more sustains more muscle if you are at a great calorie deficit.

Protein also makes you feel full so its not really a surprise that you are feeling that way. For a month I did 50p/30c/20f for a macro breakout and it was pretty tough. For me it was more so because I was only eating 1400 cals but my daily calorie burn was way less than yours. Just never felt like I was eating enough. I think you could offer up some more into carbs tbh and reducing protein a bit because you will want the energy during your workouts or else you will feel sluggish but that's my two cents.

Just note, it's normal for you to feel so full with that much protein!