• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the general rule is you would want to aim for 1g of protein per lb of body weight. At least there are studies that show it does benefit people who are looking to gain muscle fairly well. Some people believe doing even more sustains more muscle if you are at a great calorie deficit.

Protein also makes you feel full so its not really a surprise that you are feeling that way. For a month I did 50p/30c/20f for a macro breakout and it was pretty tough. For me it was more so because I was only eating 1400 cals but my daily calorie burn was way less than yours. Just never felt like I was eating enough. I think you could offer up some more into carbs tbh and reducing protein a bit because you will want the energy during your workouts or else you will feel sluggish but that's my two cents.

Just note, it's normal for you to feel so full with that much protein!

Thank you so much for the input, it means a lot! I may tone down the protein for a bit until I get used to it and then ramp up if I need it and add in more carbs for the energy like you suggested, that makes sense to me. I guess for this "fat shredding phase", it makes sense to fill you up with protein so you dont feel like you are starving.

I should be upfront and say that my 500-600 exercise burn is just an estimate based on what people have suggested. I havent done the math and used a HRM or anything yet, so that will tell me more once I get one, but I have been on the verge of blowing chunks after each one.

I also did this same program minus the nutrition plan a few years ago and lost around 30lbs, so I hope eating better and cleaner will provide even greater results.

Oct 25, 2017
My bad, its 237, I based my numbers on being at 190lbs, but today I weighed in at 187.

Based off that, my resting metabolic rate is 1900, my active burn rate is 380, and I imagine I am burning around 500-600 for each P90X workout as my exercise burn rate. RMR + AB + EB = 2880. I then subtracted 1000 from that to be at a calorie deficit. So 1900ish.

Then I plugged that into MyFitnessPal and it recommended 237g of protein at 1900 calories. This is for the "fat shredder" P90X nutrition guide as well.

Am I way off? Any tips are greatly appreciated as this is all pretty new to me.

The 1g per pound of total mass is pretty accurate. Where it falls apart is at extremes. Someone who weighs 300 lbs does not need 300g of protein. Since you weigh 187, you do not fall in that extreme. If you are exercising regularly and very active, higher protein like 187g is probably more than enough. I weigh 160ish atm. I am eating about 150-160g per day (oops, ate 170g today). I would say 237g is a bit of an extreme amount. Do I think you will get sick eating that much? No, unless you already have compromised kidney or get sick of protein...

edit:
Ugh, thinking about it more I am thinking... is this kind of diet sustainable long term? Doesn't the protein requirement even grow on the plan? UGHHH... just thinking about it.

I also did this same program minus the nutrition plan a few years ago and lost around 30lbs, so I hope eating better and cleaner will provide even greater results.

Interesting. Did you maintain the loss?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Also note that when you start ingesting that much protein and not as many carbs, at least try to get the carbs to have some dietary fibers or take some fiber supplements.

Your poops are gonna come out like hard rocks :P

(Or you just wont poop when you want to because you'll be constipated lol)

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
The 1g per pound of total mass is pretty accurate. Where it falls apart is at extremes. Someone who weighs 300 lbs does not need 300g of protein. Since you weigh 187, you do not fall in that extreme. If you are exercising regularly and very active, higher protein like 187g is probably more than enough. I weigh 160ish atm. I am eating about 150-160g per day (oops, ate 170g today). I would say 237g is a bit of an extreme amount. Do I think you will get sick eating that much? No, unless you already have compromised kidney or get sick of protein...

edit:
Ugh, thinking about it more I am thinking... is this kind of diet sustainable long term? Doesn't the protein requirement even grow on the plan? UGHHH... just thinking about it.

Interesting. Did you maintain the loss?
I maintained about 15 of it, and I was not eating a ton. I was probably starving myself (my diet was turkey mustard sandwiches and salads only).

In terms of it being sustainable, we will see. The p90x diet has you change into a lower protien during the next phase, but I want to stay in "fat shredder" for as long as possible as that is what was recomended. I haven't once hit the 237g. Highest I think was like 160. I find it pretty hard to keep protein up without going over on fat or carbs though so long term it might be best to change it up a tad.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Sup yall

back on my bullshit and trying to shed some weight again. 2019 was a killer year for me professionally but everything comes at a price. Went from feeling strong 6"2 210lbs to just being a blubber ball weighing in at 242 at the end of the year. Back on my favorite workout plan, strong lifts 5x5. Counting my calories and running with my dog.Feels good to be back. Also throwing in some ring fit adventure cause it got my kids into it and us them exercising daily.
Good shit happy new year

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Two questions:

1. Does the amount of protein you consume on a day off (like inbetween two lifting days) matter as much as your lifting day?

2. Is there any downside to splitting up your workout throughout the day, like half in the morning and half in the evening? Assuming you're not splitting lifts for any one muscle group (like OHP in the morning and delt raises later, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
Sup yall

back on my bullshit and trying to shed some weight again. 2019 was a killer year for me professionally but everything comes at a price. Went from feeling strong 6"2 210lbs to just being a blubber ball weighing in at 242 at the end of the year. Back on my favorite workout plan, strong lifts 5x5. Counting my calories and running with my dog.Feels good to be back. Also throwing in some ring fit adventure cause it got my kids into it and us them exercising daily.
Good shit happy new year

Welcome back! and congrats on starting up again!

Two questions:

1. Does the amount of protein you consume on a day off (like inbetween two lifting days) matter as much as your lifting day?

Maintaining high protein shows in some studies that it helps slow down or stint muscle loss. But i don't know if it makes THAT much of a difference if its only happening like once or twice a week. I eat the same amount of protein everyday and have been steadily gaining muscle each month but I'm still in my first year and in a recomp phase.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
The scientifically supported numbers at the moment seem to be in the order of 1.7 - 2.2 g / kg / day. Obviously that's for lifters etc, not average Joe.

Of course, it would be better if those numbers were based on lean body mass rather than total body mass... but there's no real need to obsess about the precision when it comes to things like this (not least because the labels wont be precise anyway). That's slightly under the 1g / lb figure, but close enough to ballpark it.

Feb 26, 2019
First time in the gym last night since December 20. Felt good, didn't feel like I lost any real strength, although maybe a little muscular endurance. Either way, it feels good too be back and I'm ready to work off the Christmas cookies

Oct 25, 2017
That Jillian Michaels thread in Off Topic got to the point that someone said Era should start banning people who dont celebrate obesity as an inherently good thing. I've finally put that entire forum on ignore.

Oct 30, 2017
I ordered from Myprotein last Thursday and my order is still showing processing. This is the second time this has happened. Gonna ask for refund if it doesn't show processed by Monday.

Oct 25, 2017
I have used Biotest/ T Nation stuff for many years and have always been happy with it and had good results. It is definitely pricey though.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Obesity threads are always infuriating to read.
Obesity itself is infuriating. Everyone knows it's bad for you, lots of people struggle with it and the solution in the majority of cases is simple, but not easy. It means there are a lot of unhappy people out there who try and fail to change their health outcomes over and over. The dissonance between desire and reality creates enough stress that there is an incentive to make excuses or shift the framing so that it's not a problem.

It's actually a lot like climate change denial. The solution to the problem would require a total lifestyle and cultural change for the majority of people. It's a lot easier psychologically to either accept doom as inevitable or just bury your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening (or bad).

Oct 25, 2017
People in the thread were saying that is fat shaming to say being fat is bad for you. It honestly reminded me of people who denied that smoking caused cancer when I was a kid--except with this layer of self-righteousness on top.

There is a certain group on this board that feels like a death cult.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Is it weird that with not changes in diet and workout regiment that i gain a few lbs and fat during winter?

Guess it is true that naturally in winter you retain fat.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Also calories dont matter, only genetics.
Most people have no clue how many calories they're taking in. Those "fast metabolism" people tend to also be the type who forget to eat for days at a time or have a preference for tiny portions and lower calorie foods, while the "I've tried everything to lose weight and don't eat junk" people wash down their giant bowls of spaghetti with half litre serves of fruit juice.

To be fair, genetics (and epigenetics) make a big difference in both baseline appetite and the food you crave, which makes for different health outcomes for people in the same environment. A 50kg/100lb hard gainer who has to force feed themselves to get enough calories is at much lower risk of obesity than someone whose infinite appetite forces them to actively monitor their intake because their satiety signals are broken.

None of that changes the fact that the way to address obesity is through changes in diet and lifestyle. Nor does it alter the health risks associated with obesity.

I definitely don't agree with being mean to obese people because of their obesity. It's a medical condition, but people treat it as a moral failing, which isn't helpful at actually dealing with the problem. At the same time, it's equally unhelpful to be dishonest about how bad it is for you.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So far so good with me getting back on the wagon. Got all my planned gym workouts in the past two weeks, plus a couple sessions with Ring Fit Adventure on off days for a light workout. Diet has stayed mostly good other than allowing a cheat day Saturday. Drinking I'm just not starting the dry month as we realized we had some plans/events we'd like to drink at the past couple of weeks so it made more since to start after this past weekend.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much would you say genetics determine your physique? Also. I've been trying to reduce meat and subbing in plants because I've had so much of the former my whole life, and less of the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
How much would you say genetics determine your physique? Also. I've been trying to reduce meat and subbing in plants because I've had so much of the former my whole life, and less of the latter.

Why are you reducing meat? Meat is awesome and pretty much all types.

As for your question, I don't really know but I know there is a lot of evidence pointing towards hormones and dietary influence over hormones that make a huge impact on where your body stores fat. Soy, for example, has phytoestrogens that can cause storage of fat in stomach, hips, and upper arms because it mimics estrogen. I am not sure if soy alone is going to cause someone to radically change a person's physique but... maybe a large enough factor to consider (along with others).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you reducing meat? Meat is awesome and pretty much all types.

As for your question, I don't really know but I know there is a lot of evidence pointing towards hormones and dietary influence over hormones that make a huge impact on where your body stores fat. Soy, for example, has phytoestrogens that can cause storage of fat in stomach, hips, and upper arms because it mimics estrogen. I am not sure if soy alone is going to cause someone to radically change a person's physique but... maybe a large enough factor to consider (along with others).

I wanna see how I physically react getting macros from plants. I'd imagine it's the same results as anybody else with a balanced diet. I'd love to say I share ethical reasons as vegans but I don't, at all. Curiosity mostly. And the recent grocery trips have been cheaper as well so that's a plus.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I wanna see how I physically react getting macros from plants. I'd imagine it's the same results as anybody else with a balanced diet. I'd love to say I share ethical reasons as vegans but I don't, at all. Curiosity mostly. And the recent grocery trips have been cheaper as well so that's a plus.

I cut red meat recently for environmental and ethical reasons. I've eaten plenty of it in 37 years so I don't feel like I'll be missing out and it hasn't been a big deal so far. I think I'll still have a steak on a rare special occasion. Other than that I plan to stick to mostly fish with chicken thrown in.

Also starting tomorrow I'm trying strict vegetarian/pescatarian until March. Curiosity is a big part of it for me too but I've been keto for a while and diet has been heavier on fruits and veggies than anything else so ultimately I don't expect a big difference.

Gonna crank up my workouts, especially cardio, stick to the diet and continue my protein shakes. if all works out I might keep chicken out indefinitely.

I always said I saw myself eventually becoming a vegetarian which seems weird because I was such a massive meat eater. Let's see how it goes...

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having to deload this week because of joint pain. Also taking this as an opportunity to test maxes since my total volume is so low.

OHP today. 175lb flew up fast but missed 185lb. Probably should have gone for 180lb first.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I have turned into what I always made fun of.... Made a promise to myself to get back into the gym starting the beginning of 2020.

Had my second child last year, decided to go back to school, and I work a full time salary job and had to move priorities around a little. Wish I had a garage so I could by my own rack, bar, and bench and get work in.

Oct 25, 2017
Lost my dog of 11+ years this weekend. It's been hard to get myself to the gym. It the end, it clears my head but man, it's been brutal the last few days.

Oct 26, 2017
I just went to the gym for the first time and I'm 33. My little brother is guiding me through it. Im 6'1 270 lbs right now I'm so motivated to lose my gut. Any tips for beginner on not giving up.

Oct 27, 2017
I just went to the gym for the first time and I'm 33. My little brother is guiding me through it. Im 6'1 270 lbs right now I'm so motivated to lose my gut. Any tips for beginner on not giving up.

I'm 34 and started going routinely when I turned 31. For me personally, I see the gym as a mental health necessity. I have depression issues, anxiety, self confidence issues, etc. Im a big dude, always have been since I was a kid.

going to the gym 6 days a weeks simply puts me in a better mental state. Plus seeing results just motivates me more.

I never tell myself I need to go the gym. I always tell my self that I have to go.

That's what keeps me going. I don't care how much the guy next ms is lifting. The gym is me time and nobody else exists.

you're going to hurt, you're going to get hurt, but you will get past it and you simply can't beat the gym high after a good workout.

Oct 25, 2017

Learn to enjoy exercise, then it is not about forcing yourself it is about going because you want to go.

HOWEVER, if your goal is to lose weight, it is much easier done in the kitchen than in the gym. Diet is like 90% of the equation there. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The key is to just stick with it. The first month or two will be challenging with soreness, being tired/exhausted etc. as your body gets used to it. But once your body adapts you'll feel much better and have more energy and you should be seeing results which are motivating in and of themselves.

The other key, since weight loss seems your main goal, is to focus in on diet. Working out and burning more calories will help for sure, but not much if you're still in a calorie surplus most days. It's way easier to eat fewer calories than it is to burn them off. If you really want to lose weight and get rid of the gut, get on a diet focused on lean proteins, complex carbs (low carbs if that's your thing) and vegetables/fruit and minimize processed foods, sugar and alcohol.

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone provide a good app that tells you your one rep max and at same time tells you how many reps you can do for certain rep range? Like let's say my 1RPM for bench is 260. I plug that in but also would to know how much weight I should be doing for ten reps.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone provide a good app that tells you your one rep max and at same time tells you how many reps you can do for certain rep range? Like let's say my 1RPM for bench is 260. I plug that in but also would to know how much weight I should be doing for ten reps.
I dont know any apps that do that calculation but FYI the higher the rep range the less "accurate" they will be. If you are trying to figure out what weights to select, just guess and adjust the weight based on RPE.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I just use Google Sheets. The equation I use is:

1RM = 36W/(37-R)

Where:
1RM - One Rep Max
W - Weight
R - Maximum reps

The inverse, to find the reps you should aim for to equal your 1RM at a given weight:

W = (37•1RM-36W)/1RM

There is another version of the equation that gives you more aggressive numbers, but I lift weights without a spotter, so I'm conservative.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions

- Any recommended preworkout supplements? Not using any at this moment. Am I missing out on benefits?

- Any recommended post-workout supps? I just consume a whey protein mix with milk and creatine.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I just drink my daily protein power mixed in with a bit of instant coffee before a workout. It gives me the tiniest kick I need before I start.

I'm still not clear on what creatine is supposed to do.