• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Back when I was still eating bread and the like I ended up switching to wraps for sandwiches. Far lower calories and they tend to store much better.

Don't really do any of it now. I'd be more inclined to just have some salad and meat in a tub.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Related, I started losing weight since new year (co-incidence, no New Year's Resolution or anything) as I'm reasonably happy that my hip socket has mostly healed after my accident / surgery. Going OK so far, though there have been a few "go to bed hungry" moments.

Hoping to be back at sub 70kg around the end of the month. It's a meaningless figure, but psychologically I DO NOT LIKE being above 70kg again.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Related, I started losing weight since new year (co-incidence, no New Year's Resolution or anything) as I'm reasonably happy that my hip socket has mostly healed after my accident / surgery. Going OK so far, though there have been a few "go to bed hungry" moments.

Hoping to be back at sub 70kg around the end of the month. It's a meaningless figure, but psychologically I DO NOT LIKE being above 70kg again.
I get it. I've been a kilo or two above 70 for the last month or so and even though this is a weight I would have killed to have gotten back down to three years ago, it still feels uncomfortable somehow. The worst part is I look fine. My pants are getting tight though.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Being forced to eat at a surplus so I could heal (whilst not doing weights) really didn't feel comfortable to me. It's one thing doing it whilst you're putting on muscle, quite another when you're sedentary. Still, past that now and making good progress (lost just over 3kg in three weeks).

Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising to find the closest Planet Fitness to me doesn't have even one squat cage.

Weird, I have been to at least 3 in my area and they have at least 4 each. I do not have a membership there but I know someone who has a pass that gets me in free, so I go largely for the massage chair/bed lol. Was at one today and finished off my workout sets I missed yesterday plus some cardio.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Weird, I have been to at least 3 in my area and they have at least 4 each. I do not have a membership there but I know someone who has a pass that gets me in free, so I go largely for the massage chair/bed lol. Was at one today and finished off my workout sets I missed yesterday plus some cardio.
It has four Smith machines though, but this still bothers me.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
fucking hell. They canceled my HIIT class because some other members complained that they couldn't use the treadmills that were reserved. For one, the class only reserved 4-5 at a time and I've never seen all the treadmills being used at once, and two, why the hell does that warrant closing a class that has, on average, 7-10 paying members participating?

They also said the class was being too loud and while yeah, there was one lady that was pretty vocal during her workout (it literally sounded like those old shampoo comercials), they could have just told us to keep it down.

I'm super pissed. It legit makes no sense to me at all. I think it was a couple of Karens just being Karens.

anyway, did the strength training class. Pretty sore now but overall feel really good. Down from 195 to 167 since June. Feeling really good about my progress.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I finally did 180 on the bench press today without a spotter. I weigh 145. So, I think that is pretty good.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I never do more than warmup on the bench without a spotter (or at least spotter arms / bars).

Just not worth the risk to me. Though I generally bench alone, so obviously different story to most.

Oct 25, 2017
I have been listening to podcasts about the carnivore diet lately. I think I am going to increase my meat consumption. Meat is awesome. Now that I am not on a cut I can start eating fattier meats than chicken breast. I may try carnivore as an elimination diet at some point too. I am actually a little worried I might like it too much, as meat is super satiating and while I love veggies I do feel bloated if I eat even a little too much of them.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to reduce how sore I get after working out? It keeps sidelining me and I don't want to keep having to stop.

I run about 3 miles every other day. I started going to spinning class and also doing some strength training. Running alone was fine but after spinning I was sore as hell and couldn't run or go to the gym for 3 days. Well, I kept running and skipped spinning class on Monday but on Thursday I went to my first HIIT class and now I'm sore as hell again and couldn't run today and I'm not sure about tomorrow.

Am I doing something wrong or is this natural? Is there anything I can do to limit the intensity of the soreness or how long it last? I am stretching and eating well enough, mostly just chicken and vegetables. I'm also getting 8 hours of sleep a night so I don't know what's up.

Thanks.

Ibuprofen, drinking lots of water, magnesium supplements, Epson salt bath, foam rolling, stretching/yoga.

Oct 25, 2017
I've increased my water consumption 10 fold. I'm drinking it primarily now. I can't take baths unfortunately but I will look into magnesium supplements and maybe sign up for a yoga class at the gym.

Thanks.

If you are looking for magnesium, go for magnesium malate or magnesium orotate (generally want chelated) and there is also magnesium glycinate which is good for sleep. Avoid mg citrate (mostly absorbs in your GI tract, so leads to bathroom issues) and mg oxide (cheap and will absorb as low as 4%). I am not actually sure if magnesium itself will help with DOMs but malic acid (in magnesium malate) may. Supplementing magnesium is a good idea in general since it is difficult to obtain magnesium from food these days, but getting enough of it from whole foods is certainly possible and probably healthier overall, assuming it is in a bioavailable form in quality food.

I use magnesium malate myself. I take about 200mg an hour or so before exercise with my preworkout minerals (sodium, potassium, magnesium). The timing is not super important, but getting an extra boost before exercise could be beneficial since magnesium does not sit around for very long. Otherwise I take around 300mg at night. Your dosages may be smaller or larger.

I find that epsom salt baths are kind of relaxing but I do not think the science supports the magnesium in epsom salt being particularly impactful through the skin. And taking it orally is basically for constipation. So I think epsom salt is like a pretty minor thing. Maybe it works for some people though.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I never do more than warmup on the bench without a spotter (or at least spotter arms / bars).

Just not worth the risk to me. Though I generally bench alone, so obviously different story to most.
Well, I know I can do more than 180 with the safety of a spotter to rescue me. This had been a very slow build to doing it without a spotter.

My goal is to be able to switch out the 10lb, 5lb, and 2.5 plates for 25lb plates (along with the 45lb plates).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
If you are looking for magnesium, go for magnesium malate or magnesium orotate (generally want chelated) and there is also magnesium glycinate which is good for sleep. Avoid mg citrate (mostly absorbs in your GI tract, so leads to bathroom issues) and mg oxide (cheap and will absorb as low as 4%). I am not actually sure if magnesium itself will help with DOMs but malic acid (in magnesium malate) may. Supplementing magnesium is a good idea in general since it is difficult to obtain magnesium from food these days, but getting enough of it from whole foods is certainly possible and probably healthier overall, assuming it is in a bioavailable form in quality food.

I use magnesium malate myself. I take about 200mg an hour or so before exercise with my preworkout minerals (sodium, potassium, magnesium). The timing is not super important, but getting an extra boost before exercise could be beneficial since magnesium does not sit around for very long. Otherwise I take around 300mg at night. Your dosages may be smaller or larger.

I find that epsom salt baths are kind of relaxing but I do not think the science supports the magnesium in epsom salt being particularly impactful through the skin. And taking it orally is basically for constipation. So I think epsom salt is like a pretty minor thing. Maybe it works for some people though.
Awesome. Thanks for all of this. I'm gonna order some today. Looking at amazon it's not too expensive.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I just want to thank you all for the awesome help you've given to me in this thread, also to the others you've also helped, this is honestly one of the best threads in this site.

Also, I just want to preface that I'm not really going into bodybuilding and/or powerlifting, I am into this for fitness. Out of probably all the people I know in real life, only 2 or 3 are more fit than me, and I never thought I'd actually be in this position years ago. So I want to keep at it.

What is the equipment? Only dumbbells? If you have a barbell and a rack you can do most beginner programs. If your current program is "working for you" then keep at it. Your previous post made it seem like you were dissatisfied with your progress.

You didn't mention it in your reply so I'm going to reiterate just in case. My recommendation for cutting the peanut butter sandwich was under the specific condition that what you are eating currently is your maintenance.
Well, dumbbells, barbells, there is a lone squat rack where people love to occupy to do anything but squats. I think I am a bit dissatisfied because I've been at it for 2 years and I see posts of people achieving more in months, but I guess I'm not actually giving my all so I shouldn't be complaining, I should do more if I want more.
If you want results... track. your. calories. and. protein.

the fact that you aren't and are saying "I'm not seeing results" immediately answers 90% of your problem. I track all my stuff and ate at a calorie deficit but reduced that deficit each month between August through today. That's how I got my results above on my cut. If I want to bulk I'd eat at a small surplus.

Of the 185-200 days I've been doing this, I've eaten 1g or more of protein per lb of body weight. I think I've missed like 4 days total through the whole process. And missed as in I ate maybe .8g per lb of body weight.

I track it all.

download myfitnesspal. That's what I use.
Alright, I'll start tracking, thanks! Time to get serious. I want to push myself to be the best I can be.
Yeah, there's definite truth to that.

I do understand that people don't want to go through all of that shit... it's a real pain. But at the end of the day, if you're putting literally hours of effort in and not seeing results... you're largely wasting that time. Better to cut 15 mins off your exercise and get your nutrition right than not get the results you're looking for.

More often than not, when people say they aren't getting results, the reason is that they're not accurately tracking their input.
Well, I don't think it's largely wasting time as I haven't gone back to my fat self and still I'm enjoying eating a lot but I still look good, but I guess ultimately you're right. I should invest now, put more effort, reap the results sooner, and just maintain it. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder, anyway.
A couple things on bread...

1. If you're not already, store it in the fridge and it will keep way longer. You can throw it in the toaster for a bit if you want to warm it up to eat a sandwhich immediately at home, and if packing lunch for work in the morning it will be fine by the time you eat it.

2. There's some lower calorie wheat bread options. As one example, Nature's Own makes a "Lite" version of some of theirs that is 40 calories a slice instead of 100-110 like most. It's just kind of "fluffier" and not as dense. But it's a way to still pack sandwiches for lunch and cut a good bit of calories.
I've started putting the bread to the fridge, also I think mine has 64 calories, I guess I'll look for lower stuff. I think I should also look for a reliable peanut butter as I just use Skippies.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use red light therapy? Apparently there is some science backed uses behind it being able to release fat from fat cells and increase ATP production and something about sex hormones. The shit is way too expensive I think to buy, at least for me, but I think planet fitness has red light therapy now although it is called something else which is why I have not checked it out yet. I wish my gym had it so I could check it out, but I do occasionally go to PF as a guest and get access.

Oct 25, 2017
Today is supposed to be a strength endurance workout (15 x 50, one minute rest between sets with two minutes after sets 5 and 10, very light weight with front squats, OHP, back squats, rows, RDLs) and I reaaalllllyyyyy don't wanna.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone use red light therapy? Apparently there is some science backed uses behind it being able to release fat from fat cells and increase ATP production and something about sex hormones. The shit is way too expensive I think to buy, at least for me, but I think planet fitness has red light therapy now although it is called something else which is why I have not checked it out yet. I wish my gym had it so I could check it out, but I do occasionally go to PF as a guest and get access.

With just about any trendy "therapy" methods take it with a grain of salt. You might get some small benefit, but it likely won't be noticable, but it will make a notable difference in the size of your wallet. Unless you are an elite athlete trying to milk the last of your genetic potential it's not worth the time or money in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Just the name sounds like straight up bullshit to me but I've been too much of Coach Rip's milk and I don't believe in anything that isn't the Barrrhbell and Hip Drahhve anymore.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There is science behind it for sure, but it's still very much early days... and junk chinese manufacturers are selling all sorts of shit that people will buy and find they do nothing. More studies are coming that should help identify correct wavelengths and power levels.

Unrelated... had a little breakthrough today. Squat has been feeling terrible (due to my hip being reconstructed) since I started lifting again and I've had to replace it with other exercises. Today I was trying out some landmine stuff as I figure I'm not really using it as much as I'd like to. Turns out that the lumberjack landmine squat is a bit of a revelation! Did next to no weight at all, but the form that it forced me into felt absolutely perfect. No grief from my hip at all and my glutes felt like they were activating properly for the first time in about six months. Only managed about three sets of 8 before feeling like death, but I'm so happy I can do something to help me get back.

There's also a hip hinge that I can do with it, but sadly the way I've got my gym set up currently doesn't give me the space to do it. I'll see if I can rearrange though as obviously anything helping my hips and glutes right now will push me closer to being back to normal.

Oct 25, 2017
It might sound like complete BS, but light is known to have actual impact on our biology, so I do not think it is far fetched. I think the most I have heard about it is for sex hormonal benefits, and higher testosterone is good for muscle growth of course. But apparently there was a study that concluded it could help with fat mobilization by emptying fat cells, which in theory combined with exercise may have a very real impact by using the fat that is emptied out.

There is no way I would actually buy a red light thing, they are way too expensive, but if I have free access? Sure, may be worth a shot.

I kinda like learning about these biohack things because they are interesting. I have tried cold showers but I have no real way to measure if they were actually doing anything beyond feeling good (in the summer, stopped once it got cold out).

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
So just over 2 months ago I decided enough is enough, I'm coming up on 29 and have been very skinny my whole life. I wanted a change, wanted to feel comfortable in my body because I haven't really ever since puberty hit and I just stayed skinny.

My starting point was 63kg, basically no muscle and just some fat around the waste.
Now I'm creeping up on 70kg, usually around 69 when I weigh myself.

Here's from the first day at the gym:
IrA8Tqz.jpg

And here's from today:
seNvUOv.jpg

I'm really happy with my progress so far, the thing most noticeable to me in person is that my chest isn't completely flat anymore.

I started with full body 3 times per week, switched over to push, pull, legs about 3 weeks ago.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So just over 2 months ago I decided enough is enough, I'm coming up on 29 and have been very skinny my whole life. I wanted a change, wanted to feel comfortable in my body because I haven't really ever since puberty hit and I just stayed skinny.

My starting point was 63kg, basically no muscle and just some fat around the waste.
Now I'm creeping up on 70kg, usually around 69 when I weigh myself.

Here's from the first day at the gym:
IrA8Tqz.jpg

And here's from today:
seNvUOv.jpg

I'm really happy with my progress so far, the thing most noticeable to me in person is that my chest isn't completely flat anymore.

I started with full body 3 times per week, switched over to push, pull, legs about 3 weeks ago.

Good job! Keep going

Oct 25, 2017
Great work dude! The joys of newbie gains and being skinny fat to buff will be very much in your favor over the coming months. Keep it going :D

Oct 25, 2017
I gave the red light therapy a shot. The process was pretty relaxing. The set up they have at planet fitness includes a little vibration, 360 coverage of red lights (cannot speak for quality though), music, and cool air being blown over you. It was a pretty relaxing 12 minutes. Today was not a strength training day, although I probably could have done some upper body press like dips since I kinda skipped them the day before, but instead I just hit the cardio. And honestly I did feel like I had more energy available than usual. Could be placebo effect, but the science does support it so far. I would love to see some RCTs on fat adapted individuals, since I think they would benefit the most since one of the benefits is fat mobilization.

Oct 25, 2017
Super bowl sunday was a busy food day for me. I stuck largely to my keto macros but ate a bunch of keto treats and blew past my calories by about 500 roughly, but that is okay and does not bother me at all. After all, it is the pattern that matters and not repeating a single day of overeating is what matters. Anyway, today at the gym I felt pretty solid. This is the first day in a while that I am at a definitive caloric surplus (last 2 weeks I was eating maintenance roughly in order for my metabolism to shift and this week I am at +5-10%.

I got some great reinforcement over the last two days, really giving me confidence in my keto bulk style of training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0LTDugjyI - Video covering that you do not need carbs for bulking or to build muscle (covers some science and personal experience)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FeoxpIgf2Y (a little bit in he talks about fasting for training/bodyrecomp/muscle gain and then maintenance
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_mythbusting_.2F_troubleshooting - ketogains subreddit wiki page, with links to studies to back their opinions

There are many paths to the same destination. And I was certain keto bulking was a real thing and that it was a very lean way to build muscle. But now I am a bit more confident about the process and I think that will impact results.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a two a day yesterday to make up for some extra calories I took in. First time I've had pizza in like 5 months. IT WAS GOOD :P

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started an 8 week fitness program and just wanted to ask if its ok to stop my strict keto diet I've been on for almost a year. I dropped a lot weight but am struggling with stubborn excess stomach flab and thought this program, which mixes high intensity cardio with resistance training, would help with that. But the meal plans include carbs and I have this irrational fear since it's been so long I'm just gonna blow up as soon as I leave ketosis.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started an 8 week fitness program and just wanted to ask if its ok to stop my strict keto diet I've been on for almost a year. I dropped a lot weight but am struggling with stubborn excess stomach flab and thought this program, which mixes high intensity cardio with resistance training, would help with that. But the meal plans include carbs and I have this irrational fear since it's been so long I'm just gonna blow up as soon as I leave ketosis.

Hey, I have been keto for a solid year as well.

You can stop keto safely. You will gain some water weight back. But you definitely do not need to stop keto to exercise. If you are an athlete training for performance, then it would depend on what your sport is and what your goals for training are. Some serious athletes only reintroduce carbs around times they need to ramp up performance, but otherwise train either standard keto diet or targeted keto diet.

First, if you do decide to go off keto, I would advise some caution when you first start reintroducing carbs, just stick to low glycemic though and you should be fine. Do not go downing sugary sodas, for instance, since your body may not be used to digesting a lot of simple sugars. You should not be worried, just do not go crazy. I have gone off keto for short periods three times now. I gained somewhere between 10-15 lbs each time, but it is not like I suddenly got any fatter and my waist barely changed if at all. I also lost all the water weight going back on keto in about a week each time.

That said, my personal experience and knowledge about keto and training would lead me to believe that you are probably fine doing keto with your program, especially since you are well fat adapted by now. Fat adapted means your body is good at using fats instead of glycogen as your primary fuel (but when you really need it, glycogen is used). Basically dual fueled. It is more complex than that but that is the basics.

I suggest checking out this wiki https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_carbohydrates_and_the_ketogenic_diet. There is a lot of solid information there, including training protocols for adding carbs around exercise called targeted ketogenic diet. I have not tried this yet, but I might in the future. I full body strength train 3 times a week and 1 time for cardio (cardio is more of a pleasure/relaxation thing than anything else tbh).

Also, you do not need carbs to build muscle. Not sure if this is obvious or not. Targeted keto diet is more about performance. If you think you might get more results from better performance, then maybe it is worth trying out. I am not sure if that is necessarily true since muscle growth is still somewhat of a grey area. Personally I may try TKD when I get stuck, plateau, or otherwise get bored enough to want to experiment.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I have been keto for a solid year as well.

You can stop keto safely. You will gain some water weight back. But you definitely do not need to stop keto to exercise. If you are an athlete training for performance, then it would depend on what your sport is and what your goals for training are. Some serious athletes only reintroduce carbs around times they need to ramp up performance, but otherwise train either standard keto diet or targeted keto diet.

First, if you do decide to go off keto, I would advise some caution when you first start reintroducing carbs, just stick to low glycemic though and you should be fine. Do not go downing sugary sodas, for instance, since your body may not be used to digesting a lot of simple sugars. You should not be worried, just do not go crazy. I have gone off keto for short periods three times now. I gained somewhere between 10-15 lbs each time, but it is not like I suddenly got any fatter and my waist barely changed if at all. I also lost all the water weight going back on keto in about a week each time.

That said, my personal experience and knowledge about keto and training would lead me to believe that you are probably fine doing keto with your program, especially since you are well fat adapted by now. Fat adapted means your body is good at using fats instead of glycogen as your primary fuel (but when you really need it, glycogen is used). Basically dual fueled. It is more complex than that but that is the basics.

I suggest checking out this wiki https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_carbohydrates_and_the_ketogenic_diet. There is a lot of solid information there, including training protocols for adding carbs around exercise called targeted ketogenic diet. I have not tried this yet, but I might in the future. I full body strength train 3 times a week and 1 time for cardio (cardio is more of a pleasure/relaxation thing than anything else tbh).

Also, you do not need carbs to build muscle. Not sure if this is obvious or not. Targeted keto diet is more about performance. If you think you might get more results from better performance, then maybe it is worth trying out. I am not sure if that is necessarily true since muscle growth is still somewhat of a grey area. Personally I may try TKD when I get stuck, plateau, or otherwise get bored enough to want to experiment.
Thanks, this was really helpful. I think I'll stick with a low-carb diet for the duration of the challenge then.The meal plan itself isn't particularly carb rich anyways so it wouldn't be much of an issue making some adjustments. I've conditioned myself for keto long enough now where even a minor deviation feels like it'd be catastrophic so I just needed someone to assuage my fears a bit.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I put on 1.5kg after Superbowl night... didn't even go particularly nuts.

I hate the way my body overreacts when I have a cheat day after cutting for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
I put on 1.5kg after Superbowl night... didn't even go particularly nuts.

I hate the way my body overreacts when I have a cheat day after cutting for a while.
Wouldn't worry about it too much especially if you took in a bunch of carbs. Just a bunch of glucose built up that will dissipate. I gained 1.5lbs but I know itll be gone by tomorrow or the next day :P

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just under half gone today. Hopefully the rest over the next couple of days, as I've still got a lot of weight I need to lose before June.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Completed my first resistance training class. Never done anything like that before so my form needed correcting constantly. The trainers basically babysat my ass through the whole circuit.

My main struggle is with keeping my shoulders back during lifts, I have terrible posture in general so it feels like I'm fighting against my body whenever I try to correct my form. Also, the tremor in my legs didn't make things easier.

It's only the second day and I've never done HIT before now, so hopefully my body adapts quickly. The trainer recommended I get some magnesium supplements to help with post-workout soreness.

Oct 25, 2017
Completed my first resistance training class. Never done anything like that before so my form needed correcting constantly. The trainers basically babysat my ass through the whole circuit.

My main struggle is with keeping my shoulders back during lifts, I have terrible posture in general so it feels like I'm fighting against my body whenever I try to correct my form. Also, the tremor in my legs didn't make things easier.

It's only the second day and I've never done HIT before now, so hopefully my body adapts quickly. The trainer recommended I get some magnesium supplements to help with post-workout soreness.

You should be supplementing magnesium with keto anyway, and probably regardless of keto tbh since soil has become rather magnesium depleted. I recommend magnesium malate, magnesium orotate, or magnesium glycinate (avoid mg oxide for sure, it is cheapest but has very very low bioavailability). First two have an edge on muscles and energy and I believe malate has an edge when it comes to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Glycinate has an edge when it comes to sleep.

Sounds like you have good trainers since proper form is going to get better muscle activation with less chance of injury.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been researching some of the adjustable dumbbell sets for use at home. It's largely between the Bowflex models and the Powerblock ones, although I don't particularly like the design/functionality of the Powerblocks. Do any of you guys have experience with the Bowflex 552s or 1090s?

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been researching some of the adjustable dumbbell sets for use at home. It's largely between the Bowflex models and the Powerblock ones, although I don't particularly like the design/functionality of the Powerblocks. Do any of you guys have experience with the Bowflex 552s or 1090s?
You ever consider Ironmaster? Tend to trust this guys reviews.

KillerBEA

Oct 26, 2017
Got my Power Perfect 3s in the mail today, Had a fair bit of throwing and Squatting today, so today was a good day to test them out. Going to enjoy rebuilding my Squat while using them.

Oct 25, 2017
A while back we talked about dexa scan accuracy. I wanted to post the study back then but did not have the time to find it. I think a lot of youtubers, even ones I follow and respect, put the dexa scan on a pedestal. From what I understand, it is more accurate on fatter individuals and less on lean. But then it is used to track changes and this study shows that is clearly not the case. Often described as the gold standard , that is patently false as the MRI has been shown to be 99% accurate when compared to post mortem. The MRI is not something accessible to most people though, so dexa scan has some place still and I think the value there is somewhat weak since it is still expensive (apparently not everywhere, do not bite my head off please) for what you get.

Full study here:

41598_2019_46428_Fig2_HTML.png

As you can see, the results are pretty bad for DEXA scans accuracy compared to MRI (again, shown 99% accurate compared to the only way we know how to actually measure which is in a cadaver). The top dot, for example, shows the DEXA result as 10% increase in muscle mass but in reality they were only 3% according to the MRI. The highest change in muscle mass shown at the farthest right dot was about 14% increase and yet the Dexa scan showed only like a% 6 or 7% increase. And there was an instance where Dexa showed a loss in muscle mass but MRI reveals they actually gained about 12-13% muscle mass. That is incredulous. This is not showing the within 1-2% error claim I have seen over reddit and youtube.

DXA was unable to accurately detect changes in lean mass in response to resistance exercise. These findings suggest that future studies must give strong consideration to their selection of modalities for assessing lean mass. Further, these findings strongly question the recent suggestion that DXA be considered the "reference standard" for measuring muscle.

So I am curious how previous studies based on DXA may be re-examined or returned to.

I think it is relevant to note that DXA scans overestimated about as often as it underestimated, making it difficult to determine which occurs on an individual basis without the MRI to back it up.

Call me a hater of dexa scans, whatever. I do not hate dexa scans. I do think they are overhyped. And I think it is kinda important to know the limitations, like knowing the limitations of BMI is important when using BMI as a tool, same with CICO, calipers, impedance, etc..