• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I use healthy food as the foundation of my meals, however i will use things that aren't great like reduced sodium soy sauce or honey to make the meals taste better. I find that works pretty well for me, i eat 1 cheat meal a week.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, I came across that study as well. This is why bringing your legs forward makes it easier, because you are making it easier on your abs. I do not think that necessarily means pull ups are great for ab growth but they are definitely used.
Bringing your legs forward should make it harder on your abs as you are essentially doing an isometric leg raise, or part of one.

The abs are engaged (or should be) a lot in pull ups because it is easier to lift something stiff than something wobbling all over the place.
It asserts this in the paper " the RA are activated to a greater extent as the performance surface becomes less stable. "

Speaking of abs and stability... I read about a certain scientific study published a couple years ago on reddit that has some interesting info on muscle activation while doing pull ups.

According to the study the muscle group activated the most during traditional pull ups are the abs! Even more interestingly the lats are behind both the abs and biceps in terms of muscle activation. So if this is true, then pull ups are more of an core and arm exercise than back exercise.

All the more reason to be doing pull ups if you care about big biceps or a strong core, if you aren't already. But with this in mind maybe pullups probably shouldnt be your main back exercise, you gotta do them rows too!

Personally I've been greasing the groove with pull ups the last month or so and its blowing up my arms, forearms included, more than any isolation work I've done.
Pull ups are one of the best back exercises and should be a staple in any back workout.

Abs may get engaged a lot but not with any meaningful stimulation for growth. You don't come away from pull ups thinking your abs have been worked hard, unless you're doing a L-sit pull up.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I have a minor niggling elbow pain that tends to get flared up by pull-ups so I tend to Avoid them.

Your erector spinae is not really designed to be a mover, it is like the abs. It's for stability. Your glutes should be doing any hinge work by pushing your hips forward to create an upright posture.
Try doing glute bridges and hip extensions without using your lower back. Even just try flexing your butt standing up and while sitting.
Glute-Bridge-1280x720.jpg
hip-extension-exercise.jpg

Your hip can only really extend until it is parallel, afterwards your hips pitch forward and you extend your lower back.

Then your abs play a role in keeping your pelvis in a good position, with something like the hollow body. Where your main ab attaches on the pelvis should pull up so that your back is flat against the ground.
Tip-Try-Hollow-Body-Holds.jpg

Probably the 2 most important areas to strengthen, dat booty and the abdominals. Everything runs through them.

I've just really started to focus on my core and glutes for exactly that reason. I don't have back problems but I do worry about doing deadlifts. Also I think it's important for squats too which can also damage your back though it's probably not as common of a cause as deadlifts.

As a nurse im making that my priority going forward. A strong back, core, glutes and good flexibility to prevent injuries.

Skagulis

Oct 27, 2017
I've been lurking for a little while, but I'm hoping someone could help me out.

I've been on a cut since January and was wondering if I should worry about strength training. Is it guaranteed that I'm gonna lose strength while I'm trying to get lean? I just did squats today and could barely do 195 lbs for 5 reps, and I also experienced some pain in my shoulder blade while I was squatting(this has happened in the past but it's been several months). I've got scapular winging and it kind of sucks, especially when bench pressing. I've been consistently stretching every night before going to bed at least 4 times a week since the start of this year and it doesn't really look like it's gotten any better.

Thanks in advance for those that provide assistance!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

I've been on a cut since January and was wondering if I should worry about strength training. Is it guaranteed that I'm gonna lose strength while I'm trying to get lean? I just did squats today and could barely do 195 lbs for 5 reps, and I also experienced some pain in my shoulder blade while I was squatting(this has happened in the past but it's been several months). I've got scapular winging and it kind of sucks, especially when bench pressing. I've been consistently stretching every night before going to bed at least 4 times a week since the start of this year and it doesn't really look like it's gotten any better.

If you're on a caloric deficit you're going to lose strength, it doesn't mean you should stop strength training though. If you're shoulders are bothering you then try doing a squat variation like a front squat, bulgarian split squat, goblet squat, or use a safety squat bar to spare your shoulders.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017

No, it isn't guaranteed to lose strength. I gained strength on my last cut. Just go in with the goal of maintaining.

Go see a PT for your shoulder. There are plenty of exercises you can do to help but no one in this thread will be able to assign you the right ones.

Oct 25, 2017
I ate more than usual yesterday and felt like I had lower energy today (and much more water retention than normal, which is a mixed bag for me). Instead of pushing myself the hardest in terms of intensity, I backed off a little. I did a bit of drop sets and on the last set I went as close to muscular failure as possible. And then I held the position as long as I could. And I took longer breaks to allow my performance to recover. I think I ended up having a really good workout and it is a good thing I have a double rest day coming up since I expect to feel it.

Banglish

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I'm losing hard earned muscle hand over fist with this sickness and I'm not fucking happy about it. :(

That sucks dude. Hope the docs figure out what's wrong soon.

Anyone else using myfitnesspal to track calories/macros? Im kinda unsure how to approach inputing some meals. For example, I had 100 grams worth of oats for breakfast. Am I putting the serving size of dry oats (which in the app is 30 grams for 1 serving) or is that serving size supposed to be for cooked oats?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You need to check the packaging to see what it says. Usually people write "dry weight" or "cooked weight", but you can't guarantee it.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Are any one of you having trouble keeping up with the workout routine while doing other interests? I recently got back into music (guitar and piano) and the amount of practice I take with the classes is cutting into the workout routine. No more gains.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Are any one of you having trouble keeping up with the workout routine while doing other interests? I recently got back into music (guitar and piano) and the amount of practice I take with the classes is cutting into the workout routine. No more gains.
I have a lot of trouble keeping cardio up. Once I started forcing myself to go to the gym on the way to work in the morning though, weightlifting got a lot more automatic.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

You just gotta set a goal and go for it. We can't do everything so inevitably something else has to take a backseat.

Just like in working out, sometimes you need to sacrifice time training one thing so you can focus on your goal.

The ills of a finite system.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

There's programs out there that can be done at home with little to no equipment that will get you a very good workout in 25-35 minutes with cardio built in. Circuit training + reduced rest periods makes a huge difference. It's not ideal for power lifting but for general fitness it's really awesome. I don't like long workouts either.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There's programs out there that can be done at home with little to no equipment that will get you a very good workout in 25-35 minutes with cardio built in. Circuit training + reduced rest periods makes a huge difference. It's not ideal for power lifting but for general fitness it's really awesome. I don't like long workouts either.
I used to do the P90X stuff. I still don't think I could do a lot of the Plyo stuff without wanting to puke. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Ted Naiman promotes a pretty short exercise type. 1 push, 1 opposing pull, 1 leg... just get as close as you can to absolute muscular failure. I think he uses bodyweight + bands. Takes 15-25 minutes. When you have less time, aim for intensity over volume.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these One Punch Man recs are on my YouTube and now I'm wondering how much progress I'd make in a month of doing that lol.

The running is my biggest gripe and I would rather try to figure out how to transfer miles ran to skipping rope.

And I don't see any back related workouts for it at least from the anime...

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So whats everyone using for cross training shoes?. Just noticed the chucks I've been using for years are falling apart. So now I need new shoes for lifting and HIIT. I usually use Wirecutter but anyway should I get one of these shoes or their new models?. Or just stick with Chucks?. Also I do have adipowers for squats and OHP. So these would be primarily for deadlifts, cardio, and any other workouts I do.

Edit: Well ordered the new balances. There were only 5 left in stock at my size and they were $64. Sure as hell beats paying the regular $120 price.
thewirecutter.com

How to Choose the Best Running Shoes for You

The best shoes for you are the ones you won’t think about much once you’re on the road. Finding them may involve trial and error. Here’s how to get started.

Last edited:

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
All these One Punch Man recs are on my YouTube and now I'm wondering how much progress I'd make in a month of doing that lol.

The running is my biggest gripe and I would rather try to figure out how to transfer miles ran to skipping rope.

And I don't see any back related workouts for it at least from the anime...
Pull ups are really needed in that OPM workout lol.
This guy :
www.youtube.com

Train Like One Punch Man (Does It Really Work?)

Our Workout Programs: ➡️ http://calimove.com ⬅️✔️Instagram ➢ https://instagram.com/calimove✔️Facebook ➢ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calisthenic-Movement/1...

Really tries it out and gives a straight reasoning why it isn't the best.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I have a hard time seeing myself hit 75 reps for pretty much all the assistance work. Think if I drop it to 3 sets I'll still be good? I'm pretty sure I read it in his pdf, but the thing isn't organized all too well - assistance sets should just be for muscle development. So get a decent pump out of em and just focus on the hitting the compound lifts well. Should I just forget about progression on assistance lifts then? I'm also think about swapping out the leg press/curl for front squats and lunges.

For the assistance exercises I do 5 sets of 15 wherever possible, then microload to a heavier weight the next time i.e 5 x 15 100kg leg press, then try 5 x 15 102.5kg. For exercises where I can't hit 15 reps (yet) I just do 5 sets of whatever I can, started off doing 5 sets of 3 for pull-ups, currently at 5 sets of 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually doing the One Punch Man workout kinda misses the joke that saitama's workout plan is fucking stupid and doesn't explain how strong he is

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
OPM is training for specificity though.
Push ups= punch muscles
Squats = pawnch muscles
Abs = PAWNCHHHHhhhhh
Running = Cardio! Important for not gassing! So you can pawwwwwwwwwwwnch more. This seems like the only useless one since you only need one punch.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So this old regular came back to the gym after probably months of not going there, and I thought to myself this person wasn't returning their weights properly, were they always like this? So I went on to do my regular stuff when the regular started talking to me(I'm always on my earbuds) and she told me that I my chest is getting bigger. I smiled and talked to her for a minute or two and then she returned her weights and she went home. The remainder of that day on the gym, I kept on checking the mirror and flexing a bit here and there stupidly. To this day, she hasn't came back.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
My at-home workout is burpee < squat < push-up while holding medicine ball. I try to keep it going for 3o minutes straight. But, music practice is still cutting in. Like right now, just taking a quick five minutes to rest my fingers.

Muscle vs ability to play music. Can't practice all the skills I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I had minor pain in my shoulder since yesterday. I thought my workout was gonna suck or I would have to tone it down a lot. But after stretching the pain was gone (I use foam roller and stretch at home too btw). I swapped my rows for lateral raises, that is the only change I made. I sorta hate rows anyway and I know that is the main driver of pain in my back and shoulders, especially if I do cable rows which I stopped after only a handful of times. But sitting down in a computer chair, I can already feel it creeping back in a bit. Computer chairs and sitting are the worst. I careful with my posture too. Shit sucks still.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I had minor pain in my shoulder since yesterday. I thought my workout was gonna suck or I would have to tone it down a lot. But after stretching the pain was gone (I use foam roller and stretch at home too btw). I swapped my rows for lateral raises, that is the only change I made. I sorta hate rows anyway and I know that is the main driver of pain in my back and shoulders, especially if I do cable rows which I stopped after only a handful of times. But sitting down in a computer chair, I can already feel it creeping back in a bit. Computer chairs and sitting are the worst. I careful with my posture too. Shit sucks still.
What is you shoulder warm up routine? My shoulder pain comes back if I skip my full routine for a week, regardless if whether or not I lift that week.

Oct 25, 2017
What is you shoulder warm up routine? My shoulder pain comes back if I skip my full routine for a week, regardless if whether or not I lift that week.

Something like this, but now watching it again I realize I am missing a piece of two there. It is called yuri shoulder band warm up
www.youtube.com

One of my Favorite Shoulder Exercises

One of my favorite combination strength and mobility exercises I have been using lately with the single loop rubber bands, which is a very important tool to...

This stick dislocate thing, with a weighed stick usually, https://giphy.com/gifs/stick-bodyweightfitness-dislocates-2x6ZLj05SFvHy

Squat sky reaches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI&feature=youtu.be&t=42s

And lastly arch hangs, but I am not hard core about these since I think it takes too much strength work from me and could affect my pull up performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C995b3KLXS4&feature=youtu.be&t=7s

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
If you're on a caloric deficit you're going to lose strength, it doesn't mean you should stop strength training though. If you're shoulders are bothering you then try doing a squat variation like a front squat, bulgarian split squat, goblet squat, or use a safety squat bar to spare your shoulders.

I'm down 15 pounds this year via a caloric deficit, and at the same I'm setting new squat PR's every week, but I think I'm just at a happy intersection of having a lot of recently gained weight that is easy to lose and finding out that I've been badly underestimating my 1 rep max? Before this year I'd never done more than 5x195 and last night I did a 10x240 set.

I think I'm gonna hit a wall eventually, but I want to drop another 10 to 20 pounds before I start bulking back up, as I'm still in "overweight" BMI territory. Easier said than done though...

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gym closed. I guess I have to try and start buying gym equipment but the olympic bar alone is pricey. I guess I could just do a hundred push-ups and call it a day. Let's see how the running folks are doing on the other thread...

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
$80...hmm. Tempting. Don't know if I should get that or just get weights. Thanks! I started my lifting by watching Jeff's videos along with others.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Gym closed. I guess I have to try and start buying gym equipment but the olympic bar alone is pricey. I guess I could just do a hundred push-ups and call it a day. Let's see how the running folks are doing on the other thread...
Where are you? I'm in San Francisco and gyms here aren't closed yet. A few of my friends have keys to the gym so worst case...

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you? I'm in San Francisco and gyms here aren't closed yet. A few of my friends have keys to the gym so worst case...
I'm on another country on SEA that has imposed a lockdown.

I highly suggest looking into trying to at least set up your own backup gym, I was thinking a few dumbbells, a few plates, an olympic bar, and that pull-up bar that works anywhere

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on another country on SEA that has imposed a lockdown.

I highly suggest looking into trying to at least set up your own backup gym, I was thinking a few dumbbells, a few plates, an olympic bar, and that pull-up bar that works anywhere
I live in a small (San Francisco) top floor apartment so even a small home gym isn't really possible for me. If we aren't able to get the gym open I would just switch to a bodyweight routine.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Did a more involved routine at the gym yesterday since it had been two weeks since I started going again... I is sore~ Other than stretching and time, what are some recommended ways to deal with it? Mostly left side of my chest/arm if that matters.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Did a more involved routine at the gym yesterday since it had been two weeks since I started going again... I is sore~ Other than stretching and time, what are some recommended ways to deal with it? Mostly left side of my chest/arm if that matters.

Drink lots of water (Multiply your body weight in lbs by .66 and drink that many ounces of water), try doing a dynamic cooldown like Defranco talks about here

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody at the grocery store is buying all the shitty foods and leaving the fish and meat alone lol... the only thing I could not buy that I wanted some of was chicken. Between sardines and chicken I think sardines is better, by a mile, anyway.

edit:
Ouch, my state is closing gyms indefinitely. At least I can do most of my exercises from home. Maybe I will invest in a resistance band. Just need a place to do pull ups as well as the whole doorframe/door thing is not an option.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I should buy some resistance bands. Anyone got some good recommendations from amazon?
My go to for everything. I think I'm just gonna ride out home workouts with Ring Fit Adventure. Luckily bought it right before everyone started buying it up.
thewirecutter.com

The Best Resistance Bands

We spent 25 hours testing 11 sets of resistance bands to find the best resistance bands for most people.