• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good workout program now that i'm basically 99% at home? All I got is 2x 10lbs dumbells and yoga mat. Any good body weight or cardio heavy workout I can do everyday? I can't even run, it's taking a toll not only physically but mentally as well

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I checked the peanut butter I have now that the previous one is gone... 3g of Protein, 10g of Sugar.

. . .

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Any good workout program now that i'm basically 99% at home? All I got is 2x 10lbs dumbells and yoga mat. Any good body weight or cardio heavy workout I can do everyday? I can't even run, it's taking a toll not only physically but mentally as well
There are tons of Yoga videos on Youtube, I think. If you want full body exercises, you can do push-ups, squats, and burpees. If you've got a pull-up bar then very awesome.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

athleanx.com

ATHLEAN XERO | Bodyweight Workout - Purchase | ATHLEAN-X

ATHLEAN XERO is the only bodyweight workout program that helps you to build muscle mass in just 60 days, without requiring a single piece of equipment.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I checked the peanut butter I have now that the previous one is gone... 3g of Protein, 10g of Sugar.

. . .

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

There are tons of Yoga videos on Youtube, I think. If you want full body exercises, you can do push-ups, squats, and burpees. If you've got a pull-up bar then very awesome.
Not fan of yoga due to my flexibility, which is really bad. Should I divide it to upper and lower alternate or do it all every day?

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is there any place to download workout posters?

I see them on sale in Amazon, but the prices just jumped by 50% with this virus going on.

Just need something I can follow for kettlebell and resistance band workouts.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Make sure to train to fail if you are just using body weight exercises and stuff.
That's horrible general advice.

Not fan of yoga due to my flexibility, which is really bad. Should I divide it to upper and lower alternate or do it all every day?
Surely that's even more reason to do yoga? :P
Yup, yoga is great, if you can't assume a given pose, just use yoga blocks, towels or other props to make it possible. If you absolutely hate static stretching, you might look into animal movements or animal flows which are all the rage nowadays (and for a good reason)
Here's an example video:
www.youtube.com

Bear Crawl Variations (Animal Movements & Quadrupedal Locomotion)

🆓 Try a Free Strength & Agility Workout: 💪 https://get.gmb.io/reboot/—🐻 https://gmb.io/bear/Click for practical examples of how to use these in your trai...

Solid Dude

Dec 1, 2017
I CANNOT find a place to do pullups for the life of me. My apartment doors are unsuitable for a bar and I can't seem to find even a decent tree nearby...

Oct 25, 2017
I CANNOT find a place to do pullups for the life of me. My apartment doors are unsuitable for a bar and I can't seem to find even a decent tree nearby...

I know the struggle. I got one door that I can use but... gripping the door is painful and obnoxious method to do pull ups plus the ceiling happens to be low.

And I was looking up pull up bars... 1-2 month delay on amazon for a cheap one...

Then I got a door outside that is kinda covered in moss a bit but equally annoying to use.

I want to get gymnastic rings and could do pull ups on them... but where I will install them is not clear.

Maybe I can just install a pull up bar outside. How hard can it be... two poles in the ground and 1 connecting them...

Oct 25, 2017
That's horrible general advice.

Uh okay?

Most the people in this thread are heavier lifters. Body weight alone and doing it at reps that are as low as what you are doing on high load won't amount to much.

There has even been research on this.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Muscle Failure Promotes Greater Muscle Hypertrophy in Low-Load but Not in High-Load Resistance Training - PubMed

Lasevicius, T, Schoenfeld, BJ, Silva-Batista, C, Barros, TdS, Aihara, AY, Brendon, H, Longo, AR, Tricoli, V, Peres, BdA, and Teixeira, EL. Muscle failure promotes greater muscle hypertrophy in low-load but not in high-load resistance training. J Strength Cond Res 36(2): 346-351, 2022-The purpose...

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Uh okay?

Most the people in this thread are heavier lifters. Body weight alone and doing it at reps that are as low as what you are doing on high load won't amount to much.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Muscle Failure Promotes Greater Muscle Hypertrophy in Low-Load but Not in High-Load Resistance Training - PubMed

Lasevicius, T, Schoenfeld, BJ, Silva-Batista, C, Barros, TdS, Aihara, AY, Brendon, H, Longo, AR, Tricoli, V, Peres, BdA, and Teixeira, EL. Muscle failure promotes greater muscle hypertrophy in low-load but not in high-load resistance training. J Strength Cond Res 36(2): 346-351, 2022-The purpose...
Except bodyweight is low load in some exercises (like the regular pushup) and high load in others (like the planche pushup). Making general rules like "always train to failure" is horrible advice.

I want to get gymnastic rings and could do pull ups on them... but where I will install them is not clear.
Can you drill in your ceiling? Installing pads like this is cheap and fast:

Amazon.com : DasMarine Diamond Pad Eye Plate, 8mm Heavy Duty Anchor with Ring for Wall/Ceiling Mount, Great for Suspension Training Straps, Crossfit Olympic Rings, Yoga Swings, Hammocks, Boxing Equipment, Boat : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : DasMarine Diamond Pad Eye Plate, 8mm Heavy Duty Anchor with Ring for Wall/Ceiling Mount, Great for Suspension Training Straps, Crossfit Olympic Rings, Yoga Swings, Hammocks, Boxing Equipment, Boat : Sports & Outdoors

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Uh okay?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Heavier lifters? Did you just call us fat????

Oct 25, 2017
gyms close after midday today in Aus. it's gonna be the first time since I started January 2019 that I'll miss a week of gym :(

Oct 25, 2017
Except bodyweight is low load in some exercises (like the regular pushup) and high load in others (like the planche pushup). Making general rules like "always train to failure" is horrible advice.
Ah - Noted - Agreed.

But as for standard body weight exercises (Non advanced), it's typically or nearly always less than 100% body weight.

I think he meant heavy lifters. Deadlifts for life.

By the way, what will happen if my protein intake is cut off? Will I be becoming fat or am I on a ticket to Cutsville?
Haha - Yes Heavy Lifters.

Some of us are heavier though but some are bulking :P

Nov 7, 2017
Barbell Medicine just put out an at home workout template with or without equipment (Not free though...it's about $20USD but they are planning on putting out a free 4 week template soon).

Any of you all having a hard time getting dumbbells? Every single dumbbell (except for the baby weight ones) are sold out

Oct 25, 2017
Barbell Medicine just put out an at home workout template with or without equipment (Not free though...it's about $20USD but they are planning on putting out a free 4 week template soon).

Any of you all having a hard time getting dumbbells? Every single dumbbell (except for the baby weight ones) are sold out
Yeah - I went out on Monday evening last week and most were gone.

Ended up getting 35lb kettlebells as that is all they had in stock :(

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
My gym did something cool, they're renting out all of the gear they have there (basically you leave a deposit and can take the stuff home).

I'm half tempted to grab the machine I was using to rehab my hip. :D

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How are your food provisions, everyone? Have you resigned yourself that you'll be cutting/bulking unintentionally until the pandemic is over?

Depends on how many reps you can fit in a day, since I've only mentioned three things, every day should be the way, but then again I always do full body workouts.

Anyway, this is something you can look into:

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Ah - Noted - Agreed.

But as for standard body weight exercises (Non advanced), it's typically or nearly always less than 100% body weight.
When planning your bodyweight workouts, why wouldn't you use the same principles you do when training with free weights? Choose progressions that are fairly challenging to you, test your one set max and then adjust the number over multiple sets (eg. if you can do 10 reps, 3 sets of 8 would give you a nice workout).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of sheer curiosity I wanted to see if I could do the OPM workout every other day for the last week or so and it was exactly what I expected...I could bang out the strength training reps although I had to break them in sets of 25.

Included pull ups, and Australian pull ups for the back. This might be my worst strength related body part.

But the cardio is gonna be the death of me, no matter how much I prefer skipping rope over running I could only make it 20 minutes (and that was in intervals) before I had to call it. Gassed.

I wake up feeling it every time. Makes me cherish the days I use my muscle bands because it kinda feels like I'm lightly stretching compared to doing the body weight exercises.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Learning to do proper kettlebell clean and I have a big bruise on my left arm now.
I got one 25 and one 35 but I feel I will need a 45+ very soon.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Even during normal times you can exercise too much. This reads to me like you shouldn't be exhausted all the time, should drink water and sleep a lot. All of those things are also true for strength and hypertrophy training. I think the 45 minutes for 3 days is an arbitrary number since every person has a unique work capacity.

The only thing is it says you should be focused on strength maintenance. I'm not Dr so I don't know anything about that. I doubt even if I was trying I could gain any strength without real equipment anyway.

Nov 7, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It is not exactly related to overtraining. It is about immune system boost from exercise (post workout, not during). However, you can also compromise your immune system by overdoing it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to pretend like im an expert on immune systems, but sitting around doing literally nothing all day for weeks, or potentially months at a time goes against everything we know about being healthy. There's countless benefits to cardio and resistance training, both physically and mentally.

Just don't go out unless you have to, avoid people as much as possible, and wash your hands frequently.

Oct 30, 2017
Got Bodylastics resistance bands a week ago (unfortunately sold out but just linking it here), and they've worked wonderfully! Got past the hesitant feeling of trying to stretch out the bands as far as I could, so that I can perform them my exercises with full range of motion.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Got Bodylastics resistance bands a week ago (unfortunately sold out but just linking it here), and they've worked wonderfully! Got past the hesitant feeling of trying to stretch out the bands as far as I could, so that I can perform them my exercises with full range of motion.
yeah. i bought those in 2013 when i was doing p90x and they worked great. had no issues with them.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if after this people realize they don't need a gym. The end of an era.

On another note, isn't yoga bad for your neck?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Push up (and it's variations)
Pull ups/Inverted rows
Squats
High hip bucks

That covers most of your body with just 4 exercises, and you can do them back to back with minimal resting times for a good cardio effect.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any good articles/research on isometric exercises and their benefit?? I am a rock climber, but can't climb due to gyms being closed. One thing I have been doing is using a "pinch" grip on my kettlebell and just holding it. It targets my forearm and I hold it until I can't anymore. This would be good for muscular endurance, correct? (I realize the muscle likely won't grow, but I need to keep my endurance up)

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
#oops
no excuse to fall off the diet bandwagon

consequences for eating nothing but chips and popsicles almost every day lol

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Workout equipment is rarer than toilet paper over here. Holy shit am I glad I bought dumbbells + a bench a week ago. Pretty sure I could sell that shit with a profit right now.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Push up (and it's variations)
Pull ups/Inverted rows
Squats
High hip bucks

That covers most of your body with just 4 exercises, and you can do them back to back with minimal resting times for a good cardio effect.
Not a bad selection. I'd add pike pushups and a core exercise (l-sit/hanging leg raises/dragon flag (progressions)) and you're pretty much covered.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am going to give this routine a shot.

May add like 1 or 2 movements but that is about it.

edit:
Went pretty well. Gonna do 3 circuits next time.

Last edited: