famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/jul/05/bizarre-dance-epidemic-of-summer-1518-strasbourg

It started with just a few people dancing outdoors in the summer heat. Arms flailing, bodies swaying and clothes soaked with sweat, they danced through the night and into the next day. Seldom stopping to eat or drink, and seemingly oblivious to mounting fatigue and the pain of bruised feet, they were still going days later. By the time the authorities intervened, hundreds more were dancing in the same frenetic fashion.

3193.jpg

But this was not one of those 80s raves that began in a remote layby and ended in a muddy field. Rather, it's one of the oddest epidemics to be recorded in world history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_1518

The outbreak began in July 1518 when a woman, Mrs. Troffea, began to dance fervently in a street in Strasbourg. This lasted somewhere between four and six days. Within a week, 34 others had joined, and within a month, there were around 400 dancers, predominantly female. Some of these people would die from heart attacks, strokes, or exhaustion. One report indicates that for a period, the plague killed around fifteen people per day.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This must have been the most terrifying thing to witness.

It's a funny image, but these people kept dancing until they dropped down dead.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Were there bards playing music or something?

I can't imagine dancing without music. Were they imagining the rhythms?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
IS that the village that had the weird fungus that got into the bread and had people tripping balls?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I like how since it's Medieval Europe there's just a casual pile of skulls in the background of the first picture, completely unrelated.

"That's not representative of the event, that was just the priory's skull mound."

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this and laughing epidemics just blow my mind, no idea how they happen.

Mass hysteria is a crazy thing.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Some of these people would die from heart attacks, strokes, or exhaustion. One report indicates that for a period, the plague killed around fifteen people per day
What in the fuckety fuck?!
What were these people on?

Wonder how many spectators there were. Imagine watching a large group of people dancing and every now and then someone drops dead.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I like how since it's Medieval Europe there's just a casual pile of skulls in the background of the first picture, completely unrelated.

"That's not representative of the event, that was just the priory's skull mound."
Hahaha, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but you're right.

"LOOK, IT'S THE MEDIEVAL PERIOD"

It's probably accurate, though.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't legion cover this exact same phenomena in one of its amazing monologues?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It likely wasn't Ergotism:

For some time, ergotism looked like a good contender... ...But it is very unlikely that sufferers could have danced for days.

It was probably just mass hysteria. Imagine how badly it smelled :-|

I bet they were good dancers tho, what else did they have to do in Medieval France?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the physicians back then actually ruled out this being a supernatural event.

Well... Yeah.
Strasbourg is in France. Unless I'm missing a private joke or something.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/how-deadly-bread-bewitched-a-french-village-123126177/

n southern France near Avignon was a quiet village on the Rhone called Pont Saint-Esprit where two bakeries tended to the inhabitants' daily need for bread. The summer of 1951 was unusually wet, and that year's rye crop was expected to fall short. In August of that year, one of the village bakers received a supply of strangely gray flour, but with the government strictly controlling flour distribution, he had no other means of making that morning's baguettes and proceeded to bake and sell his wares as usual. Over the course of a few weeks, le pain maudit—"the cursed bread"—wreaked havoc in Pont Saint-Esprit.

Within 48 hours, some 230 villagers became violently ill. Initially their reactions to the bread resembled severe food poisoning, with people experiencing nausea and vomiting accompanied by days of insomnia. But a few fared far worse, experiencing wild hallucinations, convulsions and swollen limbs that felt as if they were burning, some turning gangrenous. "I have seen healthy men and women suddenly become terrorized, ripping their bedsheets, hiding themselves beneath their blankets to escape hallucinations," Mayor Albert Hubbard said to the United Press at the time. People leaped from windows to escape their visions. Some thought they were being eaten by tigers, others saw men with grinning skulls for heads. "I am dead and my head is made of copper and I have snakes in my stomach and they are burning me," villager Gabriel Veladaire repeatedly screamed before attempting to throw himself in the river. Five people, including an otherwise healthy 25-year-old man, died.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
I have a really hard time believing the mass hysteria thing. If it lasted for a few hours sure, but a few days? People literally dancing to death? That's so hard for me to write off as something that has no external causes. The fungi thing probably sounds like the best guess but damn they must've been tripping fucking hard.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This has always been one of my favorite useless pieces of history for almost 10 years. It's such a fun thing to talk about, especially in the age of the smart phone. Bring it up, tell people about it, and then they'll unquestionably doubt you and look it up on the internet, only to look up from the pale glow of their smart phones, completely flabbergasted.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a really hard time believing the mass hysteria thing. If it lasted for a few hours sure, but a few days? People literally dancing to death? That's so hard for me to write off as something that has no external causes. The fungi thing probably sounds like the best guess but damn they must've been tripping fucking hard.

I mean, the thing is, Dancing Plagues were common back then. So was Ergotism, which was commonly known at the time. The idea that contemporary historians didn't connect the dancing plagues to ergotism seems to tell me that fungus poisoning would be unlikely. Also the fact that it lasted for months, when ergot poisoning is much shorter in duration and much less likely to produce extended dancing.

However, religious fervor even today can take hold of people in unexpected ways, so imagine the grip it would have on an illiterate and superstitious populace in the 1500s.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
However, religious fervor even today can take hold of people in unexpected ways, so imagine the grip it would have on an illiterate and superstitious populace in the 1500s.
Sure, that makes total sense to me, but is there any documentation as to WHY these people were dancing in their own words? I mean, someone has to have asked one of them after the fact or something, right?