• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Oh, my sweet summer child, you clearly did not remember the disaster that was the Masters of the Universe film.
mastersofuni-061.jpg

He man isn't relevant to anyone under the age of 30 and hasn't been since the 80's.
the masters of the universe film came out in the 80s

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, my sweet summer child, you clearly did not remember the disaster that was the Masters of the Universe film. But the movie came out YEARS after the peak of the series. There was more content sprinkled over time, but they most definitely did not strike while the iron was hot.
lmao I want to say that the re-designed he-man cartoon was coming out at the time that the MOTU cannon movie came out

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
ok, still has nothing to do with this though
the point they were making was MOTU came out when everyone thought it was still the hottest shit, only to faceplant

thats what the original poster was referring to, that they were wondering if this is gonna come out JUST too late to be as big as it could

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
lmao I want to say that the re-designed he-man cartoon was coming out at the time that the MOTU cannon movie came out
Original series was 83-85
She-Ra was 85-87
NEW He-Man was 90--91

The movie came out in '87. Two years after the original series was done and three before the new series. It was heavily syndicated, but definitely not the same as the Transformers/GI Joe movies in timing. Or quality.

the point they were making was MOTU came out when everyone thought it was still the hottest shit, only to faceplant

thats what the original poster was referring to, that they were wondering if this is gonna come out JUST too late to be as big as it could
The opposite. It came out during the lull between series. Like, it was well known, but by 87 had sufficient competition and burned out parents already. It was a big deal, but not as much as it would've been two years earlier.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The opposite. It came out during the lull between series. Like, it was well known, but by 87 had sufficient competition and burned out parents already. It was a big deal, but not as much as it would've been two years earlier.
weren't he-man toys still really big even into the she-ra tv years?

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Original series was 83-85
She-Ra was 85-87
NEW He-Man was 90--91

The movie came out in '87. Two years after the original series was done and three before the new series. It was heavily syndicated, but definitely not the same as the Transformers/GI Joe movies in timing. Or quality.

That's weird it must've been such a miss I never even saw He-man 90' til years later.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
weren't he-man toys still really big even into the she-ra tv years?
Hence the comparison. There was still spin-off content being released on TV and new toys, but the focus wasn't on He-man.

This FNaF movie is coming out 2 years after Security Breach and it's NOT WHITE HOT anymore.

We all need to understand where the PEAK of the series is versus where it's 'just' popular.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Did you compare a decades old cartoon to a thing thats still relevant and selling to actual children.

Anyway, its probably going to do well. Because its target audiences care about it a lot. I could be wrong though
No my comparison was of a similar situation . The He Man show came out in 83 and the movie came out in 87. The thing about children's properties is that kids don't typically like the same thing forever so it's fairly difficult to remain relevant. Stuff like Pokémon and Minecraft are really the exception rather then the rule.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
He's not developing it anymore but he sure as fuck gets all the royalties. The dude was a complete douche once people pulled up his donation history, trying to do a "I love all the LGBTQ folks I've hired over the years, I just donate to people trying to criminalize your existence for business reasons." And then pretended to retire for unrelated reasons, as if that stops him making bank from it all.
So then a transphobic wizard author situation. Fuck him. I won't be supporting him and I think others should do the same.

It's worth repeating: He donated to MITCH MCCONNELL, one of the most evil motherfuckers in the whole US government.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
No my comparison was of a similar situation . The He Man show came out in 83 and the movie came out in 87. The thing about children's properties is that kids don't typically like the same thing forever so it's fairly difficult to remain relevant. Stuff like Pokémon and Minecraft are really the exception rather then the rule.
Idk why He-Man is being brought up when even kids at the time thought it was bad. It was destined to flop hard.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Literally same thing with FNAF…I was in high school at the peak of its popularity and everyone thought it was incredibly stupid.
It's not the same cuz the He-Man movie was infamously bad. It couldn't appeal to hardcore fans and new ones. Anyway, the trailer has over 4 million views. I think we can assess that FNAF still has a decent following.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same cuz the He-Man movie was infamously bad. It couldn't appeal to hardcore fans and new ones. Anyway, the trailer has over 4 million views. I think we can assess that FNAF still has a decent following.

Yeah the He Man movie was not what the fans were expecting. I rewatched a retrospective recently and it was even more dire than I remembered.

We were expecting He Man and Skeletor fighting in eternia, something close to the cartoon.

What we got was a cheap time travel movie where the characters come to earth, shot in a small town to keep the budget low. With no respect for the source material.

Neither the fans or people looking to watch a good movie got what they wanted

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good. I'm there day 1. I love how the possessed animatronics have squinting red eyes. Also really love the general look they've established for the pizza place. I can't wait for the full trailer! Already has nearly 5 million views on Universal's YT. Damn.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Fuck him for donating to Trump and Mitch. Just guaranteed I'll never give a cent to his franchise.

I doubt it'll beat Willy's Wonderland anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/0v27rfaoB2Y

I was looking forward to Willy but it is overall a huge disappointment. They just didn't have the budget to do a FNAF ripoff. I think they would've been better served to not have cast a well-known actor like Cage and used that money for creature effects instead.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
So then a transphobic wizard author situation. Fuck him. I won't be supporting him and I think others should do the same.

It's worth repeating: He donated to MITCH MCCONNELL, one of the most evil motherfuckers in the whole US government.

Not only one of the most vile politicians, but one of the most UNNECESSARY donations you could make. McConnel's seat is EXTREMELY safe. To have the money to just piss away to a politician that doesn't need it just screams of wanting to send a message more so than helping someone's race.

Yeah. Fuck him for donating to Trump and Mitch. Just guaranteed I'll never give a cent to his franchise.

I doubt it'll beat Willy's Wonderland anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/0v27rfaoB2Y

This is the kinda B-movie shlock I love. The "trapped in here with him" line lmao

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to Willy but it is overall a huge disappointment. They just didn't have the budget to do a FNAF ripoff. I think they would've been better served to not have cast a well-known actor like Cage and used that money for creature effects instead.
This is how I feel. Maybe touch up the script as well. I said in the other thread (FNAF movie poster reveal one) that I kinda hoped, that being an R-rated movie, Willy's Wonderland would push it to the point a FNAF movie could never go. I'm thinking lots and lots of inventive kills and gore. I mean, hey, Terrifier 2 did it with a low budget. I was actually surprised how much I loved Terrifier 2 because I hated the first movie, but I thought that sequel was awesome.

I love Nic Cage, but if it would've taken sacrificing Nic's role in the movie to get pump up other aspects of the movie, that would've been a worthy sacrifice IMO.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I feel. Maybe touch up the script as well. I said in the other thread (FNAF movie poster reveal one) that I kinda hoped, that being an R-rated movie, Willy's Wonderland would push it to the point a FNAF movie could never go. I'm thinking lots and lots of inventive kills and gore. I mean, hey, Terrifier 2 did it with a low budget. I was actually surprised how much I loved Terrifier 2 because I hated the first movie, but I thought that sequel was awesome.

I love Nic Cage, but if it would've taken sacrificing Nic's role in the movie to get pump up other aspects of the movie, that would've been a worthy sacrifice IMO.
I think the FNAF movie can be effective without featuring gratuitous gore, similar to Megan, Lights Out etc, there's a lot you can do with just building tension and off-screen or implied violence. I'm really hopeful Blumhouse can give us the rogue Chuck E Cheese animatronic horror movie I always dreamed of.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
The director/writers give me zero confidence in this being a good film

Looks like it should be a Shutter original

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I think the FNAF movie can be effective without featuring gratuitous gore, similar to Megan, Lights Out etc, there's a lot you can do with just building tension and off-screen or implied violence. I'm really hopeful Blumhouse can give us the rogue Chuck E Cheese animatronic horror movie I always dreamed of.
It was expected that FNAF was going to be PG-13. I specifically mean Willy's Wonderland. I mean, it was selling itself as the R-rated take on that kinda animatronic horror, so IMO, Willy's should've pushed it further. Like I said, I love Nic Cage, but if it meant not having him in it to make Willy's more extreme, that's something I could've lived with.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious about its popularity(I thought it was mostly dead and too late)

compared to another trailer released yesterday

FNAF = 7.3 million views in 19 hours, #1 on trending
Haunted Mansion = 404k in 24 hours

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
The Scott Cawthon situation absolutely sucks because the rags-to-riches story of FNAF's success was something I legitimately admired about him.

I was by no means a fan of FNAF, but I was legitimately fascinated by it as he released entry after entry through the years. I followed the theory videos and the website updates he would do and there was a certain charm to the whole thing.

Like, Scott Cawthon had effectively created the kind of horror for kids that you'd see in stuff like Goosebumps or something for the modern age. For me, it was genuinely pleasing to see. He always came across as a stand-up guy while doing so as well.

And then well, yeah. :(

Had that donation stuff didn't happen I probably would've had a warm smile on my face seeing that trailer.

Now...well, I hope the kids enjoy the movie.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like an Asylum release, something you'd find in a Red Box at random someday.
Fortunately we'll get to see this Asylum-esque release in theaters. Henson Creature shop doing the puppet/animatronics is the main reason I'm pumped. I don't think you'd get that kind of group working on most low budget horror movies.