• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
There's something doubly disturbing about nazi imagery in a wicker chair. It's just oddly suburban for a hate symbol.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paint over them scenes of his true legacy. Poignant reminders that we should never allow his vision to come to pass again.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone suggesting to burn a memento of history is a moron. History has no agency of its own unless fabricated. It's a neutral essence. That said, these pieces would be a better fit for a Nazi or Hitler-themed exhibit than a private collection.

Adonis

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
But these in a Museum , they belong there as a profile piece for one of the worlds most evil men. Don't burn art or destroy historical artifacts.

Dec 2, 2017
They belong in a museum. Make people see that not a monster or some sort of cartoony villain people like to conjure up in their mind is responsible for these atrocities but a mere human being. It is even more important these days now that the generation who survived the regime to talk about it won't be here for long anymore.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a auction, the people that win it can do whatever the fuck they want with it. If they want to burn the fucking thing and keep the ashes in a jar, that's fine.
Of course the owner of something can do whatever they want with it. That goes without saying.

What I'm saying is that in my opinion, people should not do that. Regardless of what the item is. It should be preserved.

This is the same argument for keeping up Confederate statues. If art is shit just get rid of it, the world isn't any lesser.
That's a trash argument imo. You can keep a statue preserved without having it on display.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's sort of like the opposite of Bob Ross having been a drill sargeant before he did the thing that made him famous

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't feel strongly about what happens to these paintings, but I will point out that the difference between Hitler and Atilla is that you don't really have Neo-Huns running around talking about Hun Genocide from all the Italian immigration and intermarrying. Or receiving a national profile talking about how they don't want to burn and pillage Rome, oh my heavens no, they just want to implement some Urban Renewal. Like turning it into a park, and oh! You know what would just make the perfect fertilizer for all the plants in our new park? Ashes...

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can, but there's no reason to. It's not worth preserving.
Personally I share that opinion in that particular case, but the bottom line is that you're ok with/advocating for the destruction of a piece of history which I am 100% against regardless of the meaning/context. It is history whether we love it or despise it. So, opinions I guess.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I share that opinion in that particular case, but the bottom line is that you're ok with/advocating for the destruction of a piece of history which I am 100% against regardless of the meaning/context. It is history whether we love it or despise it. So, opinions I guess.
It's not a piece of history, it's something made by a historic person with no value of its own.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's something doubly disturbing about nazi imagery in a wicker chair. It's just oddly suburban for a hate symbol.

That's what I was thinking. It's perhaps the most prominent symbol of hate their is woven into a piece of furniture that should be screaming "lazy Sunday". But weaving horrific racism into the unassuming and everyday might also be a more honest depiction of hatred than we're used to seeing.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a piece of history, it's something made by a historic person with no value of its own.
Are we talking about a confederate statue still? Regardless, pretty much anything could be considered a piece of history, and I'm sure someone would value it. A piece of toilet paper in a thousand years might be of historical value.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but dont you understand those nail clippings remind us all that hes not just a monster hes a human molded by circumstance just like us
I constantly bring this up at every party. I abhor the man, but you gotta hand it to him-- at the end of the day he was a human. If we don't keep these toe nail clippings around, history may repeat itself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think it should be enshrined and don't care too much if the physical object is destroyed if it's recorded digitally, but I do think it's worth remembering that the most horrific racist is still human. A lot of the seemingly unassuming humans around us are racists, and a lot of the humans around us want us to see racists to be black-souled monsters because monsters don't really exist.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking about a confederate statue still? Pretty much anything could be considered a piece of history, and I'm sure someone would value it. A piece of toilet paper in a thousand years might be of historical value.
Yes, but not one 50 years from now. Just because anything can be historic doesn't mean it should be. The Confederate statues have no historic value, these paintings have no historic value. General Lee and Hitler's toilet paper have no historic value. Just get rid of it, no museum would want it.