• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Official Trailer

Comes with:

- Physical Copy of the game.
- Retro-style instruction booklet (24 Pages)
- Digital Remastered Soundtrack
- Exclusive Numbered Metal Card
- Retro Cartridge Style Metal Case

mdHTi96.png

No release date as of yet, just a basic June ballpark. Having the basic framework of this version based off of the SNES version is very unusual, will be interesting to see how it plays when it comes out.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This was announced last year, I believe. Although, people were unsure if it was a remaster of the original or that awful 360 remake

Liamario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Classic game, but what is this... a basic port, some sort of remaster?

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even buy collector's editions, but, I need that one.

I read it's only available in EU and AUS earlier today. Is it in US as well?

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Sounds like it'll be the original version with some added bells and whistles. That's probably the best way to go. I don't think anyone even remembers (or cares to remember) the remake.

OP
OP
Juke Joint Jezebel
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't even buy collector's editions, but, I need that one.

I read it's only available in EU and AUS earlier today. Is it in US as well?

Had a little look around and nothing concrete about region availability yet. I imagine we'll know more over the next couple of months.

Sounds like it'll be the original version with some added bells and whistles. That's probably the best way to go. I don't think anyone even remembers (or cares to remember) the remake.

It has a decently sized fanbase actually despite it's rather poor reception from critics in general.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. Its a game i was always impress by the visual animation, but never bother continuing, playing. Good for the fans, physical copy is great!

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
The original is one of my all time favourites. I'll buy a remaster in a heartbeat. What I'd really love is some kind of fan made sequel, but that's a pipe dream

OP
OP
Juke Joint Jezebel
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have the Mega Drive version, was that supposed to be the best version or is there better?

SNES version is widely regarded as having the better soundtrack and sound effects, as was often the case with both consoles having vastly different sound hardware, but the cutscenes are regarded better in the Mega Driver version, with additional lighting in some parts. There's also Sega CD and Jaguar ports that have their own little niggles, advantages and differences as well. The PC version was king though.

Feb 15, 2018
Wow. I remember picking this up on the SNES in WHSmiths when it was on sale for ÂŁ9.99. I still have that copy (boxed with instructions), this would look lovely alongside it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SNES version is widely regarded as having the better soundtrack and sound effects, as was often the case with both consoles having vastly different sound hardware, but the cutscenes are regarded better in the Mega Driver version, with additional lighting in some parts. There's also Sega CD and Jaguar ports that have their own little niggles, advantages and differences as well.

Interesting, might have to see which one fits me better. It has been so long since I played this game and now is the time.

Thanks for the info

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I have the Mega Drive version, was that supposed to be the best version or is there better?
Yep, The MD version is the best, that's the machine the game was created for despite the Amiga version launching first.

Paul Cuisset (Flashback creator)...In issue #118 of Retro Gamer, Paul Cussiet told the magazine that "The best version for me is the Mega Drive version. The game was created for this platform", contrary to what many had believed before this article was published.

The SNES version had some terrible slowdown.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, The MD version is the best, that's the machine the game was created for despite the Amiga version launching first.

Paul Cuisset (Flashback creator)...In issue #118 of Retro Gamer, Paul Cussiet told the magazine that "The best version for me is the Mega Drive version. The game was created for this platform", contrary to what many had believed before this article was published.

The SNES version had some terrible slowdown.
Thank you too for the info

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Hope this gets released via Amazon UK. Pity it isn't based on the version I played though (3DO), but I guess I'm probably in the minority for proffering that version other all the other ones.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
IMHO the definitive version of Flashback can be had through the unofficial source port "REminiscence":
http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

It can use the data files from either the PC version or the Amiga version (or even combine the PC graphics/animations with the Amiga music AND the SegaCD speech, it can even use the terrible PC CD prerendered movies if you REALLY want), can easily be ported to any device you want (PSP, PSVita, Open Pandora, Android, etc.) and runs on a toaster.

yGPT1fW.jpg

eVWaYZk.jpg

DMDfvyS.jpg

Last edited:

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
I bought the original on PC. Was in college and the nearest PC store was 60 miles away so I took off after class and bought it and loved the game. So good.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it going after the vastly inferior SNES version instead lf the original, great Megadrive/Amiga versions?

And that ugly NA snes cart is so wrong

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
IMHO the definitive version of Flashback can be had through the unofficial source port "REminiscence":

It can use the data files from either the PC version or the Amiga version (or even combine the PC graphics/animations with the Amiga music AND the SegaCD speech, it can even use the terrible PC CD prerendered movies if you REALLY want), can easily be ported to any device you want (PSP, PSVita, Open Pandora, Android, etc.) and runs on a toaster.

yGPT1fW.jpg

eVWaYZk.jpg

DMDfvyS.jpg
Yup, I'd say PC combined with Amiga music is my "definitive" version.
SNES version was the one I played back in the day, so it kind of blew my mind when I saw that PC had a few extra scenes in the intro.

Curious to see how this will be though, using the SNES version as base is an odd choice even though it makes sense given the context of the release.

Krusty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the MD version to death. I'm totally in for a Switch version but no way am I paying more than €5 for it.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
SNES version was the one I played back in the day, so it kind of blew my mind when I saw that PC had a few extra scenes in the intro.

Curious to see how this will be though, using the SNES version as base is an odd choice even though it makes sense given the context of the release.
Neato, sometime in the last couple releases a widescreen feature was added to REminiscence, this option allows you to see part of the adjacent screens (of course you can disable it if you don't like it):
KK3PAcT.jpg

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DOS had the best graphics and Amiga the best music. Only issue with mixing them is the longer cutscenes in the DOS version makes the music go out of sync. Also I do kind of have nostalgia for the FM synthesis music in the original DOS release. Still, if they they went the extra mile and had someone rework the Amiga tracker music to fit the DOS version, that'd be amazing.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

yGPT1fW.jpg

eVWaYZk.jpg

DMDfvyS.jpg

My immediate thought was "Great, now I'm going to waste a bunch of time setting this up." But you know, it's never a waste of time. I love the hell out of Flashback, but I've only ever played the Genesis version. I'll definitely set this up on my PC and do a really long overdue double-dip once that Switch version hits.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, DOS had the best graphics and Amiga the best music. Only issue with mixing them is the longer cutscenes in the DOS version makes the music go out of sync. Also I do kind of have nostalgia for the FM synthesis music in the original DOS release. Still, if they they went the extra mile and had someone rework the Amiga tracker music to fit the DOS version, that'd be amazing.
Are there other cutscenes than the intro where this happens? Reworking the music wouldn't actually be too difficult, but I think REminiscence loops the intro track on a specific spot and reworking the track would probably break that implementation.

I should look into this one of these days.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
My immediate thought was "Great, now I'm going to waste a bunch of time setting this up." But you know, it's never a waste of time. I love the hell out of Flashback, but I've only ever played the Genesis version. I'll definitely set this up on my PC and do a really long overdue double-dip once that Switch version hits.
Be warned that the speech... is not great. It's poorly acted and with more than a few French accents, and generally sounds like they just grabbed friends/family/co-workers.

Are there other cutscenes than the intro where this happens? Reworking the music wouldn't actually be too difficult, but I think REminiscence loops the intro track on a specific spot and reworking the track would probably break that implementation.

I should look into this one of these days.
To be honest, I don't remember. It's been years since I tried this, I think it was just after support for mixing the two was added to REminiscence. They might very well have smoothed over it by looping the track. Though by reworking the track, I was thinking of what might be done to use the Amiga music on a theoretical commercial ultimate remastered version.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the PC graphics. The game was clearly made with 320*256 in mind and those PC "reworked" screens didn't capture me the way the Amiga version did

Anyway, Amiga for life yo, I'll still get it because I'm a sucker for Flashback

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone remember the advertising campaign where this was "the world's first CD-ROM game on a cartridge"?

25 years.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Be warned that the speech... is not great. It's poorly acted and with more than a few French accents, and generally sounds like they just grabbed friends/family/co-workers.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty used to terrible voice acting since we got our first CDROM drive for our PC in the early 90s. Wing Commander II blew us away (cartoons with voice acting), but those VOs left a lot to be desired. Some shitty VOs will do me some good, bring back some fond childhood memories of my brother and friends.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Was this game released as freeware on some of these platforms? If not, some posters might want to edit their posts, assuming piracy is still against the TOS. Especially the guy wanting to emulate those versions while only owning the MD version. Unless i'm missing something, in which case nvm.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see Flashback reappear. I really don't like how just the (inferior) SNES version is being celebrated this time around.

Oct 26, 2017
I own a bunch of versions of this already, including the godawful remake. Let me list the ways it ruined (yes, ruined!) the original game: a shitty dudebro version of Conrad, a pointless romance, radio helpers that interupt the goddamn game all the time, arrows pointing where to go, energy refill by killing enemies, tacked on "ability upgrades", tons of flying enemies, pointless camera to show exactly what activates like it's a shitty N64 era platformer, having to scan to see otherwise invisible traps, stealth sections and Press A For Awesome Executions. They did everything possible to make it a shitty Triple A (Jimquisition intonation on that one) game. Btw, the original was unplayable as well because of the ridiculous screen filter and the shitty stuff going on around it and NO MUSIC.

That said, if this is a proper update, I'll be all over it. Flashback really deserves being on every system imaginable, like Another World is for some reason.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I still own my Genesis cartridge of this game. Loved it to death back in the day. I'll definitely snag this one.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, interesting. Fade to Black was one of my favorite games growing up, but I never played Flashback.