• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let she who wasn't as woke in the early 2000s as she is today, cast the first stone.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's not blackface. Blackface has a specific style to it. This is making your self to look like someone else. I think people need to understand there is a specific difference. Also he never came at them with any kinds hate or racism.
Blackface isn't just the original blackface you're talking about.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously a bad look for Jimmy, The Man Show or whatever that show was, was awful. I absolutely hated it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Karl Malone was a massive asshole, so making fun of him is fine, but going blackface for it struck me as odd even back then.

This isnt blackface. Same stupid argument is brought up about RDJ in tropic thunder.

It's not really the same thing is it? I mean RDJ's character was specifically a person designed to make fun of blackface and those who would go that far for a role. Kimmel made himself look like a black man so he could shit on a black athlete(Malone).

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is bad and condemnable but the whole point is he's changed and society has as well. Like the infamous Loony Toons disclaimer. It was wrong then and wrong now. But we can't go backwards to preventing things that have already happened from happening. Kimmel is clearly not doing this stuff now

Rosanne is peddling racist shit RIGHT NOW, that's why she was fired.

Oct 25, 2017
RDJ in Tropic Thunder was very expensive prosthetic blackface as a clueless actor among other clueless actors who had strikes against them for their insensitive portrayals of their subjects. It was layers of meta commentary while also itself being mean take jokes. Tom Cruise as fat sweaty Weinstein, Simple Jack, etc.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
The man show was great
8155.jpg

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
RDJ was in blackface. This is blackface. You don't need shoe polish on your face for it to be blackface.

Sidebar: RDJ in blackface gets a pass because the whole point of him doing it was to highlight someone being a piece of shit, which no one knew before the movie and which is why everyone copped an attitude over it.
No there is a distinction from doing a impersonation of a specific person, and doing a racial caricatures.

Darrel Hammond doing Jessie Jackson, or Fred Armisen doing Obama on SNL weren't rascist caricatures.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Man Show is easy pickings if you want to go after Kimmel. They way they treated women alone was pretty upsetting even for a lot of people at the time. The difference between Kimmel and Roseanne is how much Kimmel has evolved since those days.

I still don't like when he gets parents to lie to their kids about eating their Halloween candy. So mean.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, the sketch is bad. It happened 15 years ago. I still hope that Kimmel would recognize now that it's bad and apologize for it. But what Roseanne did happened yesterday and she doesn't seem the least bit sorry for it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
it is weird how people don't understand the use of RDJ's blackface in that movie. Though if people get upset over it I see why too, but it still was trying to say something, I think.
People are right to get upset over it on face value, though. I know I did and ended up swearing off the movie before catching it on FX some years later.

There's still a shit ton of people who never came around for the return trip to see that it was bad, but it was obviously bad on purpose to highlight how shitty the practice is.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely blackface.

The Man Show was awful sexist and sometimes racist garbage.

It's pretty clear Jimmy isn't the same person now as back then, and I know he's pretty good friends with Karl Malone in actuality. Still doesn't excuse the shitty skit, though. If he did something like that nowadays it wouldn't fly and he'd pretty rightfully be fired, I'm sure.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not blackface. Blackface has a specific style to it. This is making your self to look like someone else. I think people need to understand there is a specific difference. Also he never came at them with any kinds hate or racism.

REALLY? At this point I open these threads just to find "That Guy" and you are it.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is bad and condemnable but the whole point is he's changed and society has as well. Like the infamous Loony Toons disclaimer. It was wrong then and wrong now. But we can't go backwards to preventing things that have already happened from happening. Kimmel is clearly not doing this stuff now

Rosanne is peddling racist shit RIGHT NOW, that's why she was fired.

Agreed. I do agree with Kimmel's perception of Roseanne though too. She obviously had mental health issues and needs help.

However, this doesn't excuse her comments, so she did deserve to have her show cancelled

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I don't see anything to suggest Roseanne has any issues with her mental health. She's just a piece of shit.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the man show even available anymore. I feel like Comedy Central knows how bad it was and has tried to erase it from its cannon (IIRC it was still airing during the years that the Chapelle's Show was at its height)

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
People are right to get upset over it on face value, though. I know I did and ended up swearing off the movie before catching it on FX some years later.

There's still a shit ton of people who never came around for the return trip to see that it was bad, but it was obviously bad on purpose to highlight how shitty the practice is.

Absolutely, and even after seeing it and what they were trying to convey, even. I can see how it would still offend.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Jimmy's monologue musing about the Roseanne situation was one of the less reactionary and he actually skewered ABC after the obligatory "the tweet was despicable". This post does sort of have a whiff of whatavoutism but it did make me think. Alot these people/personalitiesp hyperreacting do have stuff in their past that is unpleasant.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Some "journalist" is going to say this video has "resurfaced" or that they "found" this like it's a lost artifact like the City of Atlantis or something so they can rake Jimmy over the coals.

Pretty much, If this was made recently then yeah. But it's old as hell and Jimmy has long since apologised and hasn't done it agin since that I am aware of. So what relevance does it have to anything happening now? The fact that Sean Hannity is the one who "found this" is telling

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No there is a distinction from doing a impersonation of a specific person, and doing a racial caricatures.

Darrel Hammond doing Jessie Jackson, or Fred Armisen doing Obama on SNL weren't rascist caricatures.
You can do an impersonation of someone without using makeup to appear as the same race as someone; standup comedians portray all sorts of people vocally and through mannerisms without dressing themselves up to look like someone.

Whether it's a 1:1 emulation or a caricature, it's still blackface, it's just not as bad. But not as bad is still bad.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different time. Not a great look, and obviously offensive, but not comparable to someone doing it in 2018.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything to suggest Roseanne has any issues with her mental health. She's just a piece of shit.

Did you see her whole twitter yesterday? She's obviously off her fucking rocker. It's way more than just racism. I'm not sure full on crazy pants tin foil conspiracy is 100% a mental health thing, but it sure indicates something is up to me anyway.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
we can all agree him going to bat for roseanne and dismissing her shit as mental issues is a terrible look

jarnet87

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is just a harmless skit making fun of Carl Malone. It ain't got nothing on my boy Danny Akroyd and Trading Places:

052813-celebs-in-blackface-Dan-Aykroyd-trading-places.jpg

They would have gotten ripped for doing this in recent years.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Are we really using this moment to try and bring down another person over something from years and years ago as if it's the same thing as what Roseanne is doing now?

She spreads conspiracy theories about a dead person which leads to the harassment of his family. She attacked the survivors of school shootings.

Kimmel is wrong to defend her though it likely comes from a blind "she used to be a good person" point of view that can be hard for some people to simply let go of. It's not worth attacking him for something shitty he did 20 years ago when it is not remotely equal to her purposeful harassment of specific people that is happening today.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017
In lieu of his Roseanne defense force tweet:

Someone dug up an old Kimmel sketch of him in blackface.

It was my first time ever seeing this clip and it looks pretty awful. What do y'all think?

In light of his Roseanne defense force tweet: I don't care.

First time ever seeing this clip and it looks like: I don't care.

What do I think? I think I don't care.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
The racism and racist action is just mental illness argument will never die when it's applied to a white person. Shit is nuts how this gets pulled every. single. time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, and even after seeing it and what they were trying to convey, even. I can see how it would still offend.
It'd no doubt be one of those "they should've portrayed it in another way" counterarguments.

This is one of those instances where I say that doing it any other way wouldn't carry the same weight, so people getting offended are just necessary for the original work to function as it should.

Oct 31, 2017
It's crazy Jimmy Kimmel ever recovered let alone got a talk show after The Man Show. That shit was crazy

I don't think this was ever even that controversial until recently. This wasn't like Micheal Richard's meltdown that was a big deal. This was just regular american racism on prime time TV.

Saying racism is mental health issues is a fucking bad look

it's an excuse. I wish any of the people who excuse racism as mental health would consider the collective mental health of groups that have been constantly physically abused, dehumanized and economically marginalized in this country since the very beginning.

Yet it's always the racist abuser who needs compassion and understanding. Fuck Kimmel

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more concerned with the way he's talking than the makeup. THAT'S the real shit that's throwing my side eyedar off.