• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
In lieu of his Roseanne defense force tweet:

Someone dug up an old Kimmel sketch of him in blackface.

It was my first time ever seeing this clip and it looks pretty awful. What do y'all think?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was aired on Comedy Central - holy shit. Man, things used to be different.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
If it was in the past, why bring it up now? Have they been displaying any recent behavior? If not, it doesn't matter.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
yikes, but it's well known Kimmel used to be a huge dick back in the Man Show days. Different times I suppose, good thing none of that shit flies now, sucks to be Roseanne.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
User Banned (3 Days): Defending blackface.
That's not blackface. Blackface has a specific style to it. This is making your self to look like someone else. I think people need to understand there is a specific difference. Also he never came at them with any kinds hate or racism.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
User banned (3 Days) for Defending and Attempting to Redefine Blackface
This isnt blackface. Same stupid argument is brought up about RDJ in tropic thunder.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He's going to catch shit for this, and he should.

But this was what, 20 years ago? He's not going to catch as much flak as Roseanne for it.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
That's not blackface. Blackface has a specific style to it. This is making your self to look like someone else. I think people need to understand there is a specific difference. Also he never came at them with any kinds hate or racism.
Mocking black atheletes' vernacular and "dumbing down" their speech on purpose isn't a blackface act? huh

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
People can and should change for the better. Rosanne didn't get canned for a tweet from 10 years ago.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I literally can't comprehend why anyone bothering to defend anything remotely close to Rosanne's cancelation. Why don't people grasp that ABC willingly took down what was a guaranteed multi-million dollar return over the course of YEARS to come in follow up seasons. This wasn't some small feat, they took a cleaver to their own kneecap because it was this bad. Just stop. There's reaching out and then just grasping for a livewire.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this what Hannity was going after Kimmel for?

Wait, aren't Kimmel and Malone good friends?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This isnt blackface. Same stupid argument is brought up about RDJ in tropic thunder.
RDJ was in blackface. This is blackface. You don't need shoe polish on your face for it to be blackface.

Sidebar: RDJ in blackface gets a pass because the whole point of him doing it was to highlight someone being a piece of shit, which no one knew before the movie and which is why everyone copped an attitude over it.

Oct 29, 2017
Space
Did you know Billy Crystal did 'blackface' too?

billycrystal_imp_sammydavisjr_450x450_ko.jpg

Ethan Hutn

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
So........ people can't change after donkeys years?
What he did is wrong and I don't hold him against it now.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the Malone impersonation was something he had been doing on his radio show for a very long time and this was a terrible, ill-advised attempt at doing it on TV.

Obviously bad taste and completely stupid.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the Man Show.....constantly belittling Mexicans, black face, degrading women, stereotyping minorities etc.

The show was extremely despicable. But Jimmy Kimmel seems to have made himself better over the years and reform his behavior....at least on TV. People should be given a chance.

Will Roseanne ever change? Let's see. But probably not.

Adam Carolla is still an asshole, esp towards women though.

EDIT: also forgot to mention when they left the Man Show, Joe Rogan took over as host....so....

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Hannity brought this up months ago. I don't know whether he's ever commented or apologised for it.

Certainly a product of its time and it's apparent Kimmel wouldn't even touch it today.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Context matters here, as well as intent. I think there's a distinct difference between a sketch like this (or say, RDJ in Tropic Thunder, though they're different for obvious reasons) and someone in "real" black face, with the purpose of making a caricature of a black person to be simple minded and further negative stereotypes. It is clear, though, that Kimmel has changed a LOT since this was filmed. He's a different person, and I'm sure he isn't proud of this.

The sketch is in terribly poor taste, and it's offensive and stupid, but we shouldn't conflate it with the actions of genuinely racist and abhorrent behavior as a form of "whataboutism".

Also I don't think he's defending Roseanne or her actions, he's just saying she's got some other issues and asking people to not attack her (not saying not to criticize her, but specifically attack). I don't think we should be going after Kimmel for any of this, seems pretty absurd.

Edit: Just to be clear, I understand the difference between what TT was doing (mocking people who don't understand blackface and painting the image of his character being a total piece of shit) and what Kimmel did on this sketch (which was just poor taste acting, and has grounds for outrage for sure). I just don't think Kimmel or the writers (or anyone else who was involved) meant to demean black humans with the sketch.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
RDJ was in blackface. This is blackface. You don't need shoe polish on your face for it to be blackface.

Sidebar: RDJ in blackface gets a pass because the whole point of him doing it was to highlight someone being a piece of shit, which no one knew before the movie and which is why everyone copped an attitude over it.
it is weird how people don't understand the use of RDJ's blackface in that movie. Though if people get upset over it I see why too, but it still was trying to say something, I think.

Oct 31, 2017
I remember seeing that back in the day and hating it immediately

as much as Jimmy seems to not be a hateful person like trump and rosanne, this is one of the liberal white racist things where they think they should be cool enough to "get away with it"